Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Panthor

RIP Tony Gwynn

141 posts in this topic

one of the best hitters in baseball, and a great ambassador for the game, sad day for the baseball

2 people like this

he was a great player without a doubt, didnt he manage Strasburg at San Diego state also?

Maybe I'm just getting old and sentimental...but I shed a tear this morning when I read that. An aritsan with a bat in his hands.

2 people like this

Looks like he died from mouth cancer, caused by chewing tobacco or snuff, which probably spread to the major organs of his body. Incredible hitter. May God bless his family during this difficult time. RIP.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/tony-gwynn--doing-good--but-on-medical-leave-from-san-diego-state-coaching-job-213755416.html

Edited by Z06vette

Sad day, one of the best hitters I have ever seen. Damn near impossible to strike out. The best bat control I have ever seen from a hitter. Spent his entire career with one team, that is just awesome. .338 career hitter, way more BB's than K's, the guy was a total professional. R.I.P. Tony, you left a great impression on baseball fans worldwide. Phenomenal hitter.

2 people like this

Legend. I can remember trying to tape myself swinging off a tee because Tony did it.

1 person likes this

Just a damn shame. Guy truly was the epitome of professional. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Wow, this is so sad.

Whenever I think of Gwynn, I think of this quote from Greg Maddux: "If a pitcher can change speeds, every hitter is helpless, limited by human vision. Except, (pause) for that [expletive] Tony Gwynn.”

RIP to a legend and one of the very few athletes that truly was a role model.

6 people like this

This is horrible news. Tony was one of the best hitters of all-time, and, even though he's in the HOF, he still does not get the recognition he deserves.

I read somewhere once that Tony's dad helped him develop his quick swing and reflexes by standing about 10 feet away and throwing a whiffle-ball as hard as he could, starting when Tony was around 4 years old. If it hit him, it only stung a little bit. I do this for my boys now...trying to keep the legend of Tony Gwynn alive.

At the same time, I have to preach the dangers of smokeless tobacco. Still a large part of the baseball culture. Heck, you can even see Tony's dip tin in his back pocket on his 1983 Topps Rookie Card. Sunflower seeds, sunflower seeds, sunflower seeds...

Tony Gwynn can be a baseball lesson for all.

Edited by compsella
2 people like this

One of my favorite players growing up. Hearing this was like a punch in the gut :(

Some interesting stats on the greatness that was Tony Gwynn...

•Tony Gwynn faced Greg Maddux 107 times in his career, more than any other pitcher; Gwynn batted .415, Maddux never struck him out.

•Tony Gwynn struck out 434 times in his career; Mark Reynolds struck out a combined 434 times just in 2009 & 2010.

•Tony Gwynn had 287 career plate appearances against Braves trio of Maddux, Glavine, & Smoltz, he hit .381 with just 3 strikeouts.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing this

one of the greatest hitters we've ever seen, and by all accounts he was a helluva person to

Edited by Blood Brother
1 person likes this

Man it's been a rough week in sports. I only caught the back-end of his career and I was not even double-digits in age yet when he retired but I always heard the guys name when I watched, and when they played my Yanks in the 98 World Series, he was the only guy who was getting hits for SD it seemed, which made my 7-year old self hate him.

Because I like to look back a little at history, I did come to see the player he was and it stinks when someone, no matter who, dies this young.

RIP

He had a .394 AVG at 110 games played in 1994 before the strike. He was on track for a truly historic season and my mind has always wondered if he could have pulled off .400 in a full season. One of my favorite players growing up and, by all accounts, a great human. This news has ruined my day. Just not fair.

1 person likes this

Wow. Had no idea he was having health issues. Very sad. Wonderful pure hitter. Hopefully, people learn from his fatal mistake with chewing tobacco.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch
1 person likes this

RIP. One of my favorite players growing up, and one of the greatest pure hitters of all time. Classy guy.

1 person likes this