Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gains

2014 Season Team Defense/Kickers Thread

what do we like this year for D and ST?

Hawks- will they be ok will some departures?

Cards- can they be elite with no linebackers

Pats- returns, will they matter? Also revis

Bucs- talented enough to be good lovie dEfense love to score

panthers- still the 2nd best D in the league ?

Chiefs- can they maintain last years level? Or just beating up on losers.

Bengals- still a top d without Zimmer?

Texans- return to glory and watt clowney duo?

Rams/Bills- sack masters?

9ers- regression? Bowman and smith have

issues.

Saints- shocking good last year,added bryd

Cowboys- lol just kidding

Redskins- see cowgirls #swisschese

I like the Pats and Bucs but will likely be streaming.

The league I'm in switched to IDP a couple years back but never understood drafting a team D before the final round. I streamed D's every week every year and won with that strategy. Just draft the best available D in the last round and then stream/play matchups from week 2 on.

Browns defense will probably get better.

Are you buying the new additions over the losses?

Buying pettine as a good defensive mind

Or commenting that the standard for improvement is low so passing is easy

Buying pettine as a good defensive mind

^^^^

Funny thing about fantasy defenses is everybody's top D Seattle has never finished as the top fantasy D. I mean last years top D KC probably went undrafted in all leagues. My strategy is to take a team with a good week 1 matchup. Then stream the rest of the season. While it doesn't always pan out. I would still rather use my 8th to 13th round picks on high upside fliers. Last year I got Gordon and Cameron using that strategy and was able to pick up KC D after week 1.

I do stream a lot. Issues comes up sometimes when you convince yourself to play a so so or bad D because of a great match up. I remember that biting me a few times

the best def i can find in the second to last round of my draft is usually the def i grab. Im going to try hard to fight the urge to reach for saints def this year.

I like the Browns thus year too. I think they have improved as a unit, plus they'll have better coaching. Also they should be much more committed to the run on offense, which is usually good for the defense.

i look at week 1 and 14-16 ... never have, never will draft a "stud" defense unless its a unit like the hawks with a cupcake playoff schedule -- even then i'd have to hate every player on the board before i even looked at the top DSTs avaialble

i like the giants defense assuming beason isn't out long for a sleeper.

...never understood drafting a team D before the final round.

Because that's where you pick your kicker. ;)

But yeah, I have a really good feeling about the Patriots D/ST this year. Added Revis, plus the vets are healthy now. The offense will do it's part in keeping the opposing team off the field too. For where they are being drafted (second to last round) they offer value because so many people reach on Seattle, San Francisco, etc.

Bucs look like the sexy pick as the sleeper D and I can't really argue against that opinion. Just as long as their offense can run the ball better.

Best value (high): Rams - A lot to be proven, but on paper this front four looks legendary.

Best value (low): Bucs - Again, on paper, but player for player this could be the most talented depth chart in football.

Sleeper: Vikings - Mike Zimmer is going to bring an attacking style to Minnesota. They may not win but they'll force mistakes and turnovers.

i look at week 1 and 14-16 ... never have, never will draft a "stud" defense unless its a unit like the hawks with a cupcake playoff schedule -- even then i'd have to hate every player on the board before i even looked at the top DSTs avaialble

Could you expand on your thinking. I thought the Giants' offseason moves were a bit puzzling, plenty of action but how much substance? Is there more there than I'm seeing?

Could you expand on your thinking. I thought the Giants' offseason moves were a bit puzzling, plenty of action but how much substance? Is there more there than I'm seeing?

I believe he's a Giant's fan, so there could be some homer beliefs.

Adding Jennings, Schwartz + top C prospect, + new coordinator, + elite returners, + DRC.

jennings is solid, the OL should improve, the secondary is loaded and they have at least 2 returners capable of scoring every time ... nothing about being a fan changes the fact they've addressed and upgraded at several key spots.

don't sleep on the giants defense if you're on of those guys who waits until the finals rounds for a D/ST. look at what they did in the 2nd half of last season

Funny thing about fantasy defenses is everybody's top D Seattle has never finished as the top fantasy D. I mean last years top D KC probably went undrafted in all leagues. My strategy is to take a team with a good week 1 matchup. Then stream the rest of the season. While it doesn't always pan out. I would still rather use my 8th to 13th round picks on high upside fliers. Last year I got Gordon and Cameron using that strategy and was able to pick up KC D after week 1.

seattle was #1 last year in my league, KC finished 4th.

The Giants really did have a nice offseason. They will be an interesting team to watch on offense and defense. Eli Manning moving from the Kevin Killdrive "run and shoot" route trees to the West Coast offense may lead to a reduction in turnovers which would also be beneficial to the Giants defense.

Adding Jennings, Schwartz + top C prospect, + new coordinator, + elite returners, + DRC.

jennings is solid, the OL should improve, the secondary is loaded and they have at least 2 returners capable of scoring every time ... nothing about being a fan changes the fact they've addressed and upgraded at several key spots.

I get what you are saying re offense and special teams. The Giants made some interesting moves there. The defensive moves, however, seem to me to be more "noise" than substance. For a good part of last season the back 7 rivaled the league's worst and, although the defense certainly improved late in the season and some upgrading occurred in the secondary, I'm still not seeing that strong of a back 7 and linebacker looks particularly weak. To me the Division rivals figure to heavily and routinely exploit that area, but as I said in my original post I likely am missing something as it's not just Giants' fans who seem to look at this defense as stronger than I see.

Only issue I have with the rams D is there division and weak O. The front 7 is scary

I get what you are saying re offense and special teams. The Giants made some interesting moves there. The defensive moves, however, seem to me to be more "noise" than substance. For a good part of last season the back 7 rivaled the league's worst and, although the defense certainly improved late in the season and some upgrading occurred in the secondary, I'm still not seeing that strong of a back 7 and linebacker looks particularly weak. To me the Division rivals figure to heavily and routinely exploit that area, but as I said in my original post I likely am missing something as it's not just Giants' fans who seem to look at this defense as stronger than I see.

the giants defense was 8th best in yards allowed per game, 10th best vs the pass - before they signed DRC/thurmond. their top 3 CBs heading into this season are as good as any in the sport - and the additions of holiday/demps to the return game are going to make their special teams dynamic to say the least.

if beason doesn't miss too much time this defense will easily be a top 10 defense - look out for jon hankins/damontre moore on the dline too. a healthy jpp in a contract year won't be fun to play against either.

seattle was #1 last year in my league, KC finished 4th.

Seattle was #1 in all my leagues as well. Think he's just making stuff up.