Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gains

2014 Season Team Defense/Kickers Thread

Dallas, Arizona, Philadelphia, Indianapolis

arizona?

There is an argument there. Lose your middle LBs and you lose a lot. It will be interesting to see, for example, how the Giants defense fares this season after a lot of personnel additions, but having failed to address, once again, their defensive Achilles.

Personally, I was looking at Texans because of the strength of their defensive line with Cushing coming back, Clowney and Watts. Also like Bucs coached by defensive mind of Lovie Smith.

Any other teams off the radar?

I like the Bengals, Rams and Cards in that order. Also KC if they can play like they did the first 3/4 of last season.

Dunder, why do you take it as a given that the 9rs and Panthers are top 3? It's arguable that the 9rs reconstruction of the backfield and the injury at MLB lower expectations and that the Panthers backfield issues and the likely absence of a meaningful offense lower expectations.

I like the Rams. Tavon Austin is GREAT on returns.

Cards lost some people so they're off my list.

Bucs could be good also.

Broncos made some moves as well.

I also like the Pats.

Pats are the team I'm targeting, but I'll also take Cleveland as a sleeper and potentially this year's KC.

While it's pretty early to evaluate the overall strength by the new additions to the Steelers take a look at the schedule. Before the week 12 bye you have 1 or 2 quality offenses and zero explosive offenses. But week 12 looks like goodbye time.

Personally, I was looking at Texans because of the strength of their defensive line with Cushing coming back, Clowney and Watts. Also like Bucs coached by defensive mind of Lovie Smith.

Any other teams off the radar?

1. I like the Bucs because I generally love Lovie's defenses. I don't know a lot about them specifically though as I haven't done any more research than "Lovie is their coach" so far this year.

2. When Cushing is healthy he is the glue of the Texans defense. He holds it all together. When he falls, the Texans D becomes a bottom 5 defense though. So he is a pretty big liability for making them draft worthy for me. Also, The Texans D always suffers at least 1 serious injury every year and this year we have literally zero depth. Our starting RDE this year was our 3rd string RDE last year. He didn't get any better, he still sucks FYI. After the front line of our defense, our backups are all 4th string or cut on any top 15 defense in the NFL, be weary of using any draft pick higher than round 15 on the Texans.

Cleveland.

Cleveland was a strong defense last year for sure, but they got rid of Ray Horton who I think is a genius. Why??

I'm thinking about snagging the Titans in round 17 only cause of their DC Ray Horton, but with the loss of one of the best CBs in the game, I am not sure even he can save that defense.

I generally stream defenses, what round would yall target these defenses in that you're targeting?

Who really knows right now? The NFL changes so much from year to year there is no way to predict the easiest defenses at this point. I mean NO went from the second worst to the second best in one year vs the pass.

Going for the pats. I'd like the Vikings as a sleeper but they play some high powered offenses.

Pats.

But I'm holding out some hope that my Steelers start to bring back that lovin feeling.

Cleveland and Cincy are going to both have really good defenses. Rams are beasts too, dat DL.

My worry with the rams is there secondary.

Front 7 is scary scary scary but JanorisnJenkins is less than terrifying.

Pats a good bet.

hope the bengals are not expensive to the point if being drafted but I doubt it. More running could keep a already good d

Of the field

Cleveland was a strong defense last year for sure, but they got rid of Ray Horton who I think is a genius. Why??

Mike Pettine is going to call the defense, which is probably why Horton wasn't going to stay. The Browns defense is still going to be a 3-4 in name but really a multiple front. It will look like what Rex Ryan runs. Bob Sutton went from the Jets to the Chiefs last season, and the Chiefs defense improved. Some of that was personnel, but it's a pretty good scheme too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/10/17/kansas-city-chiefs-defense-went-to-school-on-rex-ryans-scheme/3005499/

Suttons scheme is heavily dependent on front pressure. when you get it it works but better qbs with time will put up points see luck river Peyton.

During the jets glory days revis was pretty much the perfect guy to cover up the schemes main weakness to the point it became a strength. Chiefs though do not have elite cbs

Suttons scheme is heavily dependent on front pressure. when you get it it works but better qbs with time will put up points see luck river Peyton.

The whole Rex Ryan goes like this:

1. Stop the run.

2. Kill the QB.

The scheme is mainly focused on stopping the run and disrupting the QB particularly by trying to fool him during presnap reads. This is accomplished by lining players up out of position, showing one look and switching to another etc.

There are some QB's that are just better under pressure, and better at processing what the defense is doing during a play.

The biggest factor is if the defenders can play different/unconventional positions. Yes the corners are expected to play press, but they also need to be able to blitz and tackle (this was lacking with cro). They may be asked to line up at linebacker or safety.

Regarding front pressure, the Chiefs got a lot of pressure from their front seven last year, but the Jets had to manufacture it by bringing extra blitzers for years. They leaned on Revis and Cromartie to cover man to man while blitzing extra guys because their pass rushers weren't all that good in 09, 10, 11 and the linemen were better suited for playing the run. In '12 and '13 the Jets were getting more pressure from their Defensive linemen and their CB situation wasn't as good. My perception is they blitzed less, but I'd have to actually check the numbers to see.

During the jets glory days revis was pretty much the perfect guy to cover up the schemes main weakness to the point it became a strength. Chiefs though do not have elite cbs

Manning tore the Jets a new one in the 2009 playoffs when the Jets didn't have Cromartie and their CB got hurt. Scheme doesn't really matter when you have a replacement level CB.

The main weakness isn't bad cornerplay imo (bad corners get any scheme killed). The main problem comes when a QB isn't easily fooled/rattled or the run game can't be stopped.

Are you really going to hold getting bet by Peyton against the JETS?

Peyton reads better then anyone and handles pressure better then most.

Chiefs got good pressure MOST of the year. But when Houston and or Hali got hurt they didn't bring enough pressure or have enough depth and the whole scheme didn't work

That was the point, you mentioned the better QB's did better against the Chiefs (Luck, Rivers, Peyton) but they also did pretty well against the Jets at time back when they had good personnel on defense (2009).

One thing to consider with the Browns is they do have a pretty good corner to play the Revis role in Joe Hayden.

That was the point, you mentioned the better QB's did better against the Chiefs (Luck, Rivers, Peyton) but they also did pretty well against the Jets at time back when they had good personnel on defense (2009).

One thing to consider with the Browns is they do have a pretty good corner to play the Revis role in Joe Hayden.

They are also the browns though