Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gains

2014 Season Team Defense/Kickers Thread

Personally, I was looking at Texans because of the strength of their defensive line with Cushing coming back, Clowney and Watts. Also like Bucs coached by defensive mind of Lovie Smith.

Any other teams off the radar?

After Seahawks/49ers/Panthers, who's next?

New England would most likely be a better defensive team with getting Darrelle Revis and who ranked highly last year.

I think the Houston Texans would seem to be a fun team to watch with Clowney and Watts working together. I think they better themselves when they drafted Nix as a nose tackle and Clowney. Their front seven seems formable. I am not sure of the back end of their defense.

Minnesota has been mentioned a few times on this thread as a sleeper team. I hope they do improve from giving up 30 points per game last year.

Personally, I was looking at Texans because of the strength of their defensive line with Cushing coming back, Clowney and Watts. Also like Bucs coached by defensive mind of Lovie Smith.

Any other teams off the radar?

After Seahawks/49ers/Panthers, who's next?

New England would most likely be a better defensive team with getting Darrelle Revis and who ranked highly last year.

I think the Houston Texans would seem to be a fun team to watch with Clowney and Watts working together. I think they better themselves when they drafted Nix as a nose tackle and Clowney. Their front seven seems formable. I am not sure of the back end of their defense.

Minnesota has been mentioned a few times on this thread as a sleeper team. I hope they do improve from giving up 30 points per game last year.

Not only did they get Revis, but Wilfork and Mayo are back as well. Probably their two best defenders from last season were injured for most of the season.

Suttons scheme is heavily dependent on front pressure. when you get it it works but better qbs with time will put up points see luck river Peyton.

The whole Rex Ryan goes like this:

1. Stop the run.

2. Kill the QB.

The scheme is mainly focused on stopping the run and disrupting the QB particularly by trying to fool him during presnap reads. This is accomplished by lining players up out of position, showing one look and switching to another etc.

There are some QB's that are just better under pressure, and better at processing what the defense is doing during a play.

The biggest factor is if the defenders can play different/unconventional positions. Yes the corners are expected to play press, but they also need to be able to blitz and tackle (this was lacking with cro). They may be asked to line up at linebacker or safety.

Regarding front pressure, the Chiefs got a lot of pressure from their front seven last year, but the Jets had to manufacture it by bringing extra blitzers for years. They leaned on Revis and Cromartie to cover man to man while blitzing extra guys because their pass rushers weren't all that good in 09, 10, 11 and the linemen were better suited for playing the run. In '12 and '13 the Jets were getting more pressure from their Defensive linemen and their CB situation wasn't as good. My perception is they blitzed less, but I'd have to actually check the numbers to see.

During the jets glory days revis was pretty much the perfect guy to cover up the schemes main weakness to the point it became a strength. Chiefs though do not have elite cbs

Manning tore the Jets a new one in the 2009 playoffs when the Jets didn't have Cromartie and their CB got hurt. Scheme doesn't really matter when you have a replacement level CB.

The main weakness isn't bad cornerplay imo (bad corners get any scheme killed). The main problem comes when a QB isn't easily fooled/rattled or the run game can't be stopped.

Great post.

I'mma stream, that said...I'm looking at these week 1 match-ups.

Bears vs Bills.

Steelers vs Browns.

I figure at least one of these two units should likely be available after I fill out my roster.

My pick is the Vikings, reasons:

- New HC Zimmer is a defensive guru

- Team has been using recent high draft picks on defensive players (2014 - LB ABarr, DE Crichton 2013 - DT SFloyd, CB XRhodes 2012 - S HSmith, CB JRobinson)

- Also majority of fantasy leagues count Special Teams, where you have an excellent returner in CPatterson

- Yes the NFC N has some high powered offenses but also has potential INT machines in Cutler and Stafford

They are probably 1 year away from potentially being a force but the ingredients are in place for them to make an unexpected leap (a la KC last year).

"Sleeper defenses"

I like NO Saints with the addition of Byrd, plus they have always been extra beastly at home.

SD Chargers intrigue me if everyone is healthy (which they weren't at all last year), with the addition of Flowers.

- Team has been using recent high draft picks on defensive players (2014 - LB ABarr, DE Crichton 2013 - DT SFloyd, CB XRhodes 2012 - S HSmith, CB JRobinson)

- Also majority of fantasy leagues count Special Teams, where you have an excellent returner in CPatterson

- Yes the NFC N has some high powered offenses but also has potential INT machines in Cutler and Stafford

They are probably 1 year away from potentially being a force but the ingredients are in place for them to make an unexpected leap (a la KC last year).

In addition, everyone they've acquired recently (Munnerlyn, Barr, Crichton) forces a lot of turnovers. That's no coincidence. Zimmer loves to attack from everywhere and cause confusion and turnovers.

I think you're right that they're a year away from being a "good defense," but I can easily see them being a top 15 fantasy defense this year. I'm not sure I'll draft them even in deeper leagues; they've got some serious offenses early in their schedule but I'll be looking at them as a mid-year add when that defense gets in a groove and their schedule gets easier.

New England, Denver, Cincy and you have to like Houston if Cushing can actually stay healthy for a year.

In addition, everyone they've acquired recently (Munnerlyn, Barr, Crichton) forces a lot of turnovers. That's no coincidence. Zimmer loves to attack from everywhere and cause confusion and turnovers.

I think you're right that they're a year away from being a "good defense," but I can easily see them being a top 15 fantasy defense this year. I'm not sure I'll draft them even in deeper leagues; they've got some serious offenses early in their schedule but I'll be looking at them as a mid-year add when that defense gets in a groove and their schedule gets easier.

I’m glad to hear all the optimistic thoughts. I do agree that we are improving. We are getting the right staff and players. It might take a year or it might take longer. When the team is at or near the bottom, you have room to improve. So yes Minnesota can be classified a sleeper.

It just wasn’t our quarterback play was horrible last year though, it was our defensive too. I think that we still have weaknesses in our defense. We have camp battles for most of our positions including starting middle linebacker and strong safety for example. Our whole linebacker core didn’t perform well last year. I’m not sure if we have an elite shut down corner much less a core defensive back group. Our defensive line has been revamped. New scheme changes and chemistry. We are moving on from some older players.

We have a tough schedule this year particularly in the first part of the season. I think football is such an emotional game that success breeds success and failure breeds’ failure.

We are playing more outdoor games this year which historically we don’t well in. We will have a different home stadium.

I think if we have more of a balanced team, one side will not be on the field as much and can be rested. We have to improve our third down conversion rate and stopping defensives on third and fourth down. I still think we are still to one dimensional for our opposing defensives. Most teams will play us 8 people in the box.

I have respect in our opposition that they can still find weaknesses and exploit them.

I think elite winning teams can win many different ways both on offensive, defensive and special teams.

Reading through and most people are saying Den, STL and NE should be candidates to jump in the top 5. Then looks like Bucs and Browns as the sleepers to pull a KC (well for most of last year at least)

Reading through and most people are saying Den, STL and NE should be candidates to jump in the top 5. Then looks like Bucs and Browns as the sleepers to pull a KC (well for most of last year at least)

It's the browns

I like the Bucs this year too. Lovie Smith really gets his teams concentrating on turnovers and scoring TD's on defense, so I think they'll be a nice pick up if you don't end up with Seattle.

Saints & Giants will be great value

It's the browns

why?

Rams seem to be good value. Best d-line in football, should rack up a lot of sacks with that front 4.

rams, giants, browns are my top late round targets

browns have the best chance of being this year's "breakout" ... but i rarely roster 1 D all year

what's with the crazy love for the browns? why should they be better than last year? yeah they got dansby and gilbert but they lost t.j. ward and d'qwell jackson. also their offense is going to be TERRIBLE.

What about the Houston Texans? Their front seven seems formable. Thinking how Clowney and Watts working together and they drafted Nix as a nose tackle. How is their back end of their defense?

Pats for the first seven weeks ( Miami Minn Oakland KC Bengals Buffalo Jets) then dump them and stream

Steelers open the year with

1. Cleveland
  2. Baltimore
  3. Carolina
  4. Tampa Bay
  5. Jacksonville
  6. Cleveland
  7. *Houston
  8. *Indianapolis
  9. Baltimore
  10. New York Jets
  11. Tennessee

With the exception of that Indianapolis game, and maybe the Carolina game, these could all be very low-scoring affairs that allow for double-digit weeks.

After the Week 12 bye, the schedule gets brutal and I wouldn't bet on them, but they could be pretty solid for the first several weeks...

Thoughts?

FWIW, I am a server at Red Lobster in the St. Louis area....and Trumain Johnson (Rams CB) comes in regularly. Last time I waited on him I asked him if I could feel confident taking the Rams D in fantasy and he told me "Of course you can." He told me that Gregg Williams has them super motivated and the D is really coming together. That was all I needed to ensure I snag them in my league haha. CSB I know, but it does pertain to the topic. The Rams have the best D-line in the league, and Williams should only improve the D with his aggressive style. Tavon on returns is just an added bonus.

FWIW, I am a server at Red Lobster in the St. Louis area....and Trumain Johnson (Rams CB) comes in regularly. Last time I waited on him I asked him if I could feel confident taking the Rams D in fantasy and he told me "Of course you can." He told me that Gregg Williams has them super motivated and the D is really coming together. That was all I needed to ensure I snag them in my league haha. CSB I know, but it does pertain to the topic. The Rams have the best D-line in the league, and Williams should only improve the D with his aggressive style. Tavon on returns is just an added bonus.

I agree and it also helps that they're in a division that doesn't have an explosive offense