Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gains

2014 Season Team Defense/Kickers Thread

FWIW, I am a server at Red Lobster in the St. Louis area....and Trumain Johnson (Rams CB) comes in regularly. Last time I waited on him I asked him if I could feel confident taking the Rams D in fantasy and he told me "Of course you can." He told me that Gregg Williams has them super motivated and the D is really coming together. That was all I needed to ensure I snag them in my league haha. CSB I know, but it does pertain to the topic. The Rams have the best D-line in the league, and Williams should only improve the D with his aggressive style. Tavon on returns is just an added bonus.

i wouldn't expect him to say "no we're gonna suck bro"

FWIW, I am a server at Red Lobster in the St. Louis area....and Trumain Johnson (Rams CB) comes in regularly. Last time I waited on him I asked him if I could feel confident taking the Rams D in fantasy and he told me "Of course you can." He told me that Gregg Williams has them super motivated and the D is really coming together. That was all I needed to ensure I snag them in my league haha. CSB I know, but it does pertain to the topic. The Rams have the best D-line in the league, and Williams should only improve the D with his aggressive style. Tavon on returns is just an added bonus.

i wouldn't expect him to say "no we're gonna suck bro"

Derp. That is obvious. The first part of my post was just for some insight that the players seem to like Williams, and that a starting corner on my favorite team telling me personally to draft them was good enough for me. I then explained why I was confident in doing so. They were third in the league in sacks last year, with a pretty vanilla defense. Add Aaron Donald to the mix, and the fact that Williams likes to bring exotic blitzes regularly, that 53 last year should surpass 60 in my eyes. They drafted multiple DBs to solidify the back-end, and have a PR that can take it to the house when you least expect it. The good news is, it is really just a personal preference on your D/ST....you can stream, you can pick one and hang in there, or you can do a bit of both.

Honestly, I think 2014 might be the year where reaching for a defense could be the better play. The reason I say this is because streaming defenses is getting more and more popular every year, and once you get four or five teams fighting over the best defensive matchup of the week on the waiver wire, there will be a few teams that get left out in the cold because -- obviously -- not everyone can pick up the teams with good matchups.

However, If you are a streamer, then this is where you discuss, tout or ask questions about all things defense and kickers for the 2014 season.

I look for the D with the best upcoming 3-4 week stretch. Maybe not the hot D of the week, but one that should be above average going forward. You give up a marginal advantage, but avoid the week to week grind.

Pats for the first seven weeks ( Miami Minn Oakland KC Bengals Buffalo Jets) then dump them and stream

might want to hang on to the Pats D if you draft them. they play the jets and dolphins in the fantasy playoffs

Is anyone else liking the Tampa Bay defense as much as I am?

I'm high on the Browns this year. Anyone else think this is the season they finally make the leap from serviceable to starter material?

I love the additions the Broncos have made this off season. I think they will be very good. I also think Seattle will be top 8 but they will not be the best like last season. Everyone should pay attention to what Chicago has done this preseason and off season. The whole defensive line is revamped, their rookie corners along with the veterans look very good. plus they have about 7 Safety's who can play with the best of em. Remember the Saints last year were overlooked by many people but they put up solid numbers all season long.

My 2014 DST Rankings:

1. Broncos

2. Seattle

3. Saints

4. San Francisco

5. New England

6. Chicago

7. St. Louis

8. Cincy

9. Houston

10. Ravens

who do you guys like week 1?

jets d vs oakland

eagles d vs jacksonville

saints and browns also available

I wouldn't even consider the Jets. Do they have any CBs? Honestly, do they have any healthy CBs?

I'd take the Saints or Browns over either of your other terrible options.

I'm high on the Browns this year. Anyone else think this is the season they finally make the leap from serviceable to starter material?

The Browns will be this years KC.

why? im curious. doesn't losing t,j ward and d'qwell jackson pretty much even out the additions to the defense?

Come on guys it is the browns

By talking about them like they are a legitimate team you just give the delusional masses in Cleveland a reason to hang on to there missguided hope.

Of the above options I would start the saints d.

why? im curious. doesn't losing t,j ward and d'qwell jackson pretty much even out the additions to the defense?

Coaching tree:

Buddy Ryan -> Rex Ryan -> Mike Pettine

I'm not claiming to have a heavy basis for my assertion, but I think that the additions of Donte Whitner, Karlos Dansby and Gilbert at CB will help them take a step forward. They had a great YPC and net yards per pass attempt allowed but they gave up a lot of points. I think that the points should start to match the yardage totals and they take a reasonable step forward. They also get to see the maturity of Mingo as an edge rusher, Haden continues to perfect his craft and their D-line remains intact. Their schedule is decent and they play some teams that should give them some turnovers (Miami, Minnesota, Buffalo, Baltimore)

Coaching tree:

Buddy Ryan -> Rex Ryan -> Mike Pettine

It's -> the -> Brown's

It's not so much the guys on the defense they lost or added. It's the fact Weeden is no longer the QB.

So there's a vote to target the Raiders offense if I understood correctly. Any other offenses to target this year? Last year, JAX was a team to target, but I don't know about this year.

This is a great point I have not considered. I never draft a defense until last, however this year I have found myself not liking many players in the 10-14 round range. I have been drafting defenses in there and think I will continue to do so with this thinking.

Could be a bargain DT . . .

OLB Jadeveon Clowney had a sack and a tackle for a loss in Saturday's preseason game against the Falcons.

Clowney played just nine snaps, but burst through the line to put a big hit on Antone Smith in the backfield and then took down Matt Ryan on the very next play. It's what the Texans were expecting when they used the No. 1 overall pick on Clowney. Although this isn't an elite defense, they have serious playmakers in Clowney, J.J. Watt and Brian Cushing. Expect big plays.

I love the additions the Broncos have made this off season. I think they will be very good. I also think Seattle will be top 8 but they will not be the best like last season. Everyone should pay attention to what Chicago has done this preseason and off season. The whole defensive line is revamped, their rookie corners along with the veterans look very good. plus they have about 7 Safety's who can play with the best of em. Remember the Saints last year were overlooked by many people but they put up solid numbers all season long.

My 2014 DST Rankings:

1. Broncos

2. Seattle

3. Saints

4. San Francisco

5. New England

6. Chicago

7. St. Louis

8. Cincy

9. Houston

10. Ravens

And your reason why the Panthers aren't in your top 10?

I''m loving the Patriots first half schedule and am tempted to reach for them. Look at this lineup of stellar competition :D

Dolphins

Raiders

Vikings

Chiefs

Bengals

Bills

Jets

Yes, please!

I normally stream D week to week, unless I get a stud/above avg D gift wrapped to me in my draft. In the past, there used to be a speadsheet that shows every team week to week vs. their opponents. Good matchups are in green, bad matchups are in red, neutral no color.

Can anyone find this chart online for this year? I looked and looked and can't find anything.

I normally stream D week to week, unless I get a stud/above avg D gift wrapped to me in my draft. In the past, there used to be a speadsheet that shows every team week to week vs. their opponents. Good matchups are in green, bad matchups are in red, neutral no color.

Can anyone find this chart online for this year? I looked and looked and can't find anything.

There is one on the FootballGuys site (subscription required, but 3 free downloads). My memory is it's in the Defense by Committee article.

Couldn't find the exact one you're looking for, but this might be useful:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/strength_of_schedule.cfm