Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gains

2014 Season Team Defense/Kickers Thread

I normally stream D week to week, unless I get a stud/above avg D gift wrapped to me in my draft. In the past, there used to be a speadsheet that shows every team week to week vs. their opponents. Good matchups are in green, bad matchups are in red, neutral no color.

Can anyone find this chart online for this year? I looked and looked and can't find anything.

There is one on the FootballGuys site (subscription required, but 3 free downloads). My memory is it's in the Defense by Committee article.

Yup - Footballguys have that one. They're membership is pretty solid - especially for those who play the FPC and FFPC (high stakes) online leagues.

Match-ups for some of the attractive D/STs that I have either seen listed often on this thread, or I am considering.

Note: I am not including the 'top' couple D/STs that I see as elite (Seahawks, Panthers) and/or will come off the board way too soon (Seahawks, Panthers, 49ers).

I'm not the kind of guy that's ever stashed D/STs over the season. Only when I gear up for a playoff run (when I have a spot locked in) will I start looking ahead to playoff match-ups and start stashing a D/ST or two, while dumping bench guys that I don't need for either depth or for keeper purposes.

I've divided these D/STs into three tiers. Note: this is strictly based on my interpretation of their strength of schedule, NOT exclusively by the level of talent a given D/ST has. I'm trying to find D/STs with multiple game stretches of favorable match-ups here.

Early season favorables (i.e., I'm going to try and land one of these at the end of the draft):

Rams: vs MIN, @TB, vs DAL, BYE, @PHI, vs SF, vs Sea, @KC

Patriots: @MIA, @MIN, vs OAK, @KC, vs CIN, @BUF, vs NYJ, vs CHI

Bucs: vs CAR, vs STL, @ATL, @PIT, @NO, vs BAL, BYE, vs MIN

Steelers: vs CLE, @BAL, @CAR, vs TB, @JAC, @CLE, vs HOU, vs IND

The middle of the pack group (ok starting schedules, but early byes & tough match-ups = early season drop)

Bengals: @BAL, vs ATL, vs TEN, BYE, @NE, vs CAR, @IND, vs BAL

Cardinals: vs SD, @NYG, vs SF, BYE, @DEN, vs WSH, @OAK, vs PHI

D/STs with early match-ups will lead me to avoid drafting them. (underline indicates approximate times I would be interested picking them up if they are on waivers)

Browns: @ PIT, vs NO, vs BAL, BYE, @TEN, vs PIT, @JAC, vs OAK

Broncos: vs IND, vs KC, @SEA, BYE, vs ARI, @NYJ, vs SF, vs SD

Chiefs: vs TEN, @DEN, @MIA, vs NE, @ SF, BYE, @SD, vs STL

RED indicates match-ups or bye weeks = I'm dropping the D/ST like a bad habit. I view match-ups of NE, Denver, Philly, NO, Indy, and Chicago as teams I really want to avoid like the plague on here. There are a couple other teams (Green Bay, Detriot) that I would also avoid but aren't on any of these D/ST matchups.

GREEN logically indicates match-ups that I view as very intriguing (poor offenses, or very turn-over prone, or both).

BLACK is either moderate offensive opponent or I have no idea what to expect.

I'm no football savant, so I'm just looking at overall trends here, so I'm sure many small details included in this post will be points of contention with many of you.

Hope this helps though!

Jags D/ST will be top 10 this year.

Mark my words.

Mark my words.

I was just coming in there to post this. I'll be starting them week 1 and not looking back.

Mark my words.

I was just coming in there to post this. I'll be starting them week 1 and not looking back.

I sincerely hope that one of my opponents tries to start the Jags against me in the first few weeks.

@Philly, @Washington, vs Indy, @ SD to start the season.

I will admit, Weeks 5-8 aren't too bad looking, though. Jacksonville is one of those DEEP sleeper D/STs that you can (and should) afford to let sit in the waivers the first 4 weeks, and if they seem anything close to top 20 and you need to play D/ST match-ups, consider picking them up for weeks 5-8 (Pit, @Ten, Cle, Mia).

Mark my words.

the turnovers aren't there yet, this coming from a jaguars fan. still a year or 2 away from top 10

I'm a huge fan of the Saints defense this year.

That defensive front of Cameron/Galette and co + Lewis, Byrd and Vaccaro? All with the mad hatter Rob Ryan in charge?

I think there's going to be a true fantasy breakout year for the Saints that results in a lot of juicy turnovers and sacks.

Haven't seen anyone mention it in the last 2 pages, but... The Giants O-line is so bad, and Eli throws INTs like crazy to begin with.

If you're streaming, Detroit plays NYG week 1 and Suh+Levy are gunna EAT.

I'll also be 'that guy'... I would NOT draft Seattle, even in round 15.

Through their first 4 weeks the play Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and have a bye.

I would wait till after week 3 (leading into their bye) and send over a trade offer and get them cheap if possible. Then ride them from Week 5 on. Definitely something I'll be trying to pull off.

NYG Schedule:

Det

Ari

Hou

Their first 3 weeks they're going to get eaten alive. After that, I don't see any scary DEF until SEA/SF in weeks 10/11.

New England gets:

Miami (10th most points allowed to fantasy DEF)

Minn (9th most)

Oak (7th most)

Houston: (Watt+Clowney!!!)

Wash (3rd)

Oak (7th)

NYG(1st)

Buff(11th)

Just my .02 for now. :)

The Jet's first week match up against Schuab and the Raiders looks juicy. Steelers vs Browns also would be nice, especially with no Josh Gordon.

I went ahead and picked up the Jets for week one against the Raiders.

This is really my first year that I'm going to try streaming defenses. No one in my league does it, so there will be a good 16-18 defenses to choose from each week. Cincinnati killed me last year with their inconsistency, so I'd rather just target awful offenses than settle on using one defense the whole season.

Interestingly enough, five of the Raiders' first seven match ups come against defenses currently available in most yahoo leagues (NYJ, HOU, MIA, SD and CLE).

I drafted Denver is a 10 team league. Jets and Bucs are on the waiver - I can't roster two, would you drop Denver for the Jets and risk losing them? Although they have KC and Seattle before the bye so maybe useless anyway. I'm not entirely happy starting them against Indy.

I like Lovie Smith and have read some decent things regarding the Bucs DST - if Cam really has no WR's then maybe they can contain him enough? Or do we just look at the pre-season horror show in Oakland and go Jets?

Anybody noticing the Chargers schedule in Weeks 3-6? Bills, Jags, Jets and Raiders...I'm not sure if any team defense will have a better 4 week run of matchups all year than that...

Not sure if they'll be able to do much with it though...

Washington is facing Houston and Jacksonville, weeks 1 and 2 respectively. Thoughts?

They were almost dead last in points allowed last year and middle to lower end of the pack in regards to take away's and sacks and they haven't really improved greatly in the offseason, no thanks.

Anyone like Houston first few weeks?

I like Houston all season, if they stay healthy and their offense limits turnovers that is.

I have the Den D as well and I rostered the Steelers for their first game against the Browns...I don't trust the Broncos against Luck...and the Browns looked horrible the other night

I have the Den D as well and I rostered the Steelers for their first game against the Browns...I don't trust the Broncos against Luck...and the Browns looked horrible the other night

Yeah I'm honestly thinking of dropping them unless they appear great I'm not starting them v Colts Chiefs or Seahwaks which makes them a waste. I just can't roster two of them so have to decide somehow from pre-season what to do.

I kind of regret not picking up the Texans, hopefully Clowney is ok - I may target them next draft final round.

CLE has a nice schedule outside of week 2 vs NO. Outside of the sleepers you all have listed here, who is more underrated? Bills or Browns?

Schedules:

CLE: @ PITT, NO, BAL, BYE, @TENN, PIT, @JAX, OAK, TB, @CIN, HOU

BUFF: @CHI, MIA, SD, @HOU, @DET, NE, MIN, @NYJ

Based on schedules...obvious choice would be the Browns.

CLE has a nice schedule outside of week 2 vs NO. Outside of the sleepers you all have listed here, who is more underrated? Bills or Browns?

Schedules:

CLE: @ PITT, NO, BAL, BYE, @TENN, PIT, @JAX, OAK, TB, @CIN, HOU

BUFF: @CHI, MIA, SD, @HOU, @DET, NE, MIN, @NYJ

Based on schedules...obvious choice would be the Browns.

or Baltimore:

CIN, PIT, @CLE, CAR, @IND, @TB, ATL, @CIN, @PIT, TEN, BYE

Digging the Pitt stream. Kicker choices?

Not sure if this is the place for this question,but after Seattle, is there really any clear cut defenses worth drafting, particularly in the later rounds? I'm not a fan of drafting defenses early that so it's a given I'm not getting Seattle in my opinion. After that, I think just streaming may be the way to go unless maybe if Carolina or St. Louis fell to me in the later rounds. I'm low on Denver just for their early schedule, as well as Arizona and San Francisco due to lacking some key players. I'm thinking about targeting New England or Tampa Bay personally, maybe Houston since the consensus seems to be that they will be good. Otherwise, streaming it is, which I may end up doing even if I drafted any of those.

Thoughts?