Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gains

2014 Season Team Defense/Kickers Thread

Whats the general strategy on streaming kickers?

Probably stick to dome/indoor kickers with match ups where the offense will be scoring a lot.

Could be my homer bias, but the Vikes could be a good week 1 play. Zimmer has turned this D around from last year and we're making big plays, Captain intercepting and Barr getting sacks in the preseason, and now the Rams could be without Sam Bradford.

Could be my homer bias, but the Vikes could be a good week 1 play. Zimmer has turned this D around from last year and we're making big plays, Captain intercepting and Barr getting sacks in the preseason, and now the Rams could be without Sam Bradford.

Sam Bradford doesn't really add much, Shaun Hill actually is a decent back up. I'd probably want to see them do something in the regular season before I trust them with how they performed the last few years as a unit. I'm guessing Zimmer does turn them around, but they didn't make any significant upgrades from last season roster wise on defense.

I think I'm going Philly week 1. Might as well stay on the vs. Jacksonville train from last year.

Should I stick with NYJ even if they don't have their top two CBs for week one? PHI is available in FA, but I'm tempted to test that OAK offense in week one. Gonna have to wait and see how things develop over the next week.

Whats the general strategy on streaming kickers?

Probably stick to dome/indoor kickers with match ups where the offense will be scoring a lot.

after losing Prater, I think I'm going with Blair Walsh for Week 1.

indoor game @Stl. Minny's offense is up and coming now with Norv calling the shots, some more talent with AP, Jennings, Cordarelle, Rudolph, a steady Cassel at QB. Rams defense is legit, but their offense is definitely going to struggle now. Could result in a lot of short field possessions and stalls in the red zone.

Walsh isn't someone I'd want to trust in the winter months outdoors in Minnesota, but he's a fine option for week one.

I'm rolling with Matt Bryant for right now.

Walsh isn't someone I'd want to trust in the winter months outdoors in Minnesota, but he's a fine option for week one.

I'm rolling with Matt Bryant for right now.

yeah, well Matt Bryant is one of the first Kickers taken off the board...this thread is about streaming.

Obviously I didn't draft Bryant on a team that I drafted Prater (one day before his suspension was announced)

I always stream def. That includes picking a def in the last round with a good matchup in week 1. The 3 I am focusing on this year are...

Pit vs CLE

Det vs NYG

NYJ vs OAK

I always stream def. That includes picking a def in the last round with a good matchup in week 1. The 3 I am focusing on this year are...

Pit vs CLE

Det vs NYG

NYJ vs OAK

Those all feel like tasty matchups to me. I'm not as confident in Detroit or NYJ - I never figured Det to be good this or last year and I don't know if NYJ are regressing - but their opponents are good ones to pick on. Another one to add to your list might be PHI vs JAX if I remember right. But I feel the same about that defense as I do Det. I'd probably wager on Pit out of all the choices just because they are probably the most solid.

For those who like to wait till the last round or two for a d/st how would you rank these:

Bills

Browns

Saints

Steelers

Ravens

For those who like to wait till the last round or two for a d/st how would you rank these:

Bills

Browns

Saints

Steelers

Ravens

Love the Steelers schedule to the bye week (12) but not beyond, although early returns aren't that strong on the quality of the defense. I like the Ravens schedule next and I like the Ravens defense more. Thereafter it's whether you believe the offense will put enough pressure on to buoy the defense and I come up with a "no" for the Browns despite a reasonable schedule, a "yes" for the Saints and the defense is playing well but the schedule is tough (& both teams have early byes) and the categorical "I don't know" for the Bills.

A new year & a new streaming D thread!

I like Tampa as a sleeper the first couple weeks of the season. Two home games. Week 1 vs CAR (No Cam?) & week 2 vs STL.

I'm going with Houston to start out.

Get Washington, Oakland, Giants and Buffalo. I see a lot of low scores and turnovers.

I got a hunch CLE D will surprise a lot this year. Good schedule and ball hawking secondary.

I was pretty excited and drafted the Panthers defense this year...one of the first defenses off the board. My dumb a** didn't even look at their schedule. Having second thoughts now....playing the Bears to open, packers, Saints twice, Falcons twice (who should bounce back offensively), Eagles...im just going through their schedule and not seeing the matchups I was hoping for, especially looking at their schedule last year and seeing them rack up points against terrible teams.

I waited for my DST this year and ended up with the Bucs and Saints on my bench for now (We have a couple extra bench spots) I'll still probably plan on steaming my DST though..I was just hoping that the Bucs could catch fire with a new defensive minded coach, and some young underrated D talent on the team.

I'm going to roll with the Bucs for week 1 against a banged up Newton and the Panthers

Any thoughts on the Kicker/QB combo being from the same team? Right now I have Brees and Graham(Last Round(17th) Pick).

I have seen arguments both for and against this strategy, but now leaning towards picking up a different kicker. Best available on waivers seems to be Carpenter which I would need to swap out later in the year because I get skittish about having a bad weather kicker during playoff weeks.

Any thoughts on the Kicker/QB combo being from the same team? Right now I have Brees and Graham(Last Round(17th) Pick).

I have seen arguments both for and against this strategy, but now leaning towards picking up a different kicker. Best available on waivers seems to be Carpenter which I would need to swap out later in the year because I get skittish about having a bad weather kicker during playoff weeks.

I can honestly say I've never taken that into consideration when picking up a kicker. I can't think of an argument as to why you would be worried about having the same QB and same kicker.

I can honestly say I've never taken that into consideration when picking up a kicker. I can't think of an argument as to why you would be worried about having the same QB and same kicker.

There is an argument that you limit your ceiling for a given week by having a QB/K combo. Generally speaking they will not both have great scoring during the same week. The argument on the other side is you limit your downside as the K will often benefit from QB failures in the red zone.

Best available on waivers seems to be Carpenter which I would need to swap out later in the year because I get skittish about having a bad weather kicker during playoff weeks.

The way the Bills have moved the offense so far, Carpenter could be a K1 this season(<-- if there is such a thing, haha). Lot of stalled drives. :(

Typically though I just look for guys on a high powered offense (Prater, Crosby, Bailey, Hartley last season) and hope they can tack on at least one field goal in addition to the extra points. Floor tends to be about 6pts a game, which I'm happy enough to take from a kicker.

Best available on waivers seems to be Carpenter which I would need to swap out later in the year because I get skittish about having a bad weather kicker during playoff weeks.

The way the Bills have moved the offense so far, Carpenter could be a K1 this season(<-- if there is such a thing, haha). Lot of stalled drives. :(

Typically though I just look for guys on a high powered offense (Prater, Crosby, Bailey, Hartley last season) and hope they can tack on at least one field goal in addition to the extra points. Floor tends to be about 6pts a game, which I'm happy enough to take from a kicker.

unfortunately, those were all the top kickers chosen in drafts. we need guys who aren't in the top 5-6 and universally drafted.

after losing Prater...my top two choices seem to be Walsh and Gould.