Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predator_05

World Cup Discussion

USA start their first game in just over 40 mins.

Lineup:

Howard, Bradley, Besler, Beasley, Dempsey, Bedoya, Jones, Beckerman, Altidore, Cameron, Johnson

Can't wait. Germany's 4-0 win over Portugal (and Portugal's injuries) make me feel a lot better about the USA's chances.

heck of a game...HUGE win for the US.

Losing Altidore hurts...pretty sure he's out multiple weeks.

Arjen Robben is an animal out there

England puke on themselves yet again with shoddy defense and lousy finishing (the whole world is looking at you, Rooney) and somehow find a way to lose a match they should have come away from with a draw at minimum. The ref didn't do England any favors but still a fugly result, the British papers will be howling tomorrow

And a tough loss earlier for the Ivory Coast despite Gervinho coming up with a fantastic goal, beat two guys off the dribble before lacing one inside the near post, 2nd only to Van Persie's for best goal of the tournament so far. All the scoring, open play, and late goals is making this the best cup in ages.

England puke on themselves yet again with shoddy defense and lousy finishing (the whole world is looking at you, Rooney) and somehow find a way to lose a match they should have come away from with a draw at minimum. The ref didn't do England any favors but still a fugly result, the British papers will be howling tomorrow

Not really.

The English are the most delusional people on earth, but even they had lowered their expectations this time around. They knew they didn't have much of a chance to qualify. They will definitely hate on Suarez though, he is already one of the most hated players in the country after that nonsensical 'racism' scandal and his celebrations today won't make him any more likeable.

Rooney wasn't bad, the English just aren't really better than Uruguay or Italy. Rooney was the only guy consistently pressuring and that takes its toll. Ironically, if Italy wins all 3 games England has a pretty solid chance of beating Costa Rica and forcing a very interesting situation.

Really upset for Altidore. I thought this year was going to be his break-out at the World Cup. Puts the US in a situation where I think they will be happy with a draw. Hopefully they don't play that way because it rarely works.

Costa Ricans definitely came to play. They got screwed on the no-call in the first half and are still looking to be 2-0. Uruguay and Italy look to be playing for last spot.

The officiating in Italy Costa Rica game was just anemic and dreadful on both ends. Many fouls were ignored. Also there was no rational basis of four mins of added time in the second half as there were little to no real significant stoppages of play. With all that said, Hats off to the Minnows. They played at a world class level today, especially at the back.

Costa Rica have a realistic chance of making the quarterfinals. If they top the group (looks increasingly likely), then they face one of Greece/Ivory Coast/Japan. A very winnable game.

Mexico and especially Costa Rica have done the whole conference proud with their performance in this World Cup. USA should get the job done tomorrow. How amazing would it be if all 3 made it to the knockout stages...

Really have to hand it to CR, they've been great. Like Mexico's vs Brazil, their defensive discipline was just fantastic. I hope they face the Ivory Coast in the knockout round, the contrast between teams could make for a interesting match.

Italy-Uruguay should be great (the ref will have his work cut out for him there) and Mexico-Croatia should be a sick match as well. Am loving this Cup.

This Italian team really seems to be lacking world class finishing. I think I see Uruguay as the favorite. It certainly should be a very entertaining contest considering whats on the line.

Yeah, after Balotelli Italy just aren't scary up front, I'd take Suarez and Cavagni over anyone on the Italian side.This match could get really chippy with a lot of gamesmanship, don't envy the ref at all

This Italian team really seems to be lacking world class finishing. I think I see Uruguay as the favorite. It certainly should be a very entertaining contest considering whats on the line.

A draw will be enough for Italy, due to their superior goal difference. Uruguay need throw all their punches though. This will be one of the games of the tournament (my current favorite is Brazil-Mexico).

This is the best World Cup i have seen since 98 (which was my first). We've seen everything so far. Lots of goals, contrasting styles of play, exciting matches, upsets, blowouts, nerve-racking draws, great individual performances, incredible crowds, controversy. I'm more of a club football guy, but this tournament has been great to watch.

I agree this has been the best world cup in a long time, probably since 1994 in US. I could see two dark horse teams like Bulgaria and Sweden making deep runs into the Semi-finals like back in 98. I really like this Costa Rican team. They are exceptional at the back and very tidy. They arent going to beat themselves. I also think Columbia, Mexico and Chile are very dangerous teams. I wouldnt want to play any of those squads right now. Its also good to see France relevant again after a sickening display in 2010.........

This is the best World Cup i have seen since 98 (which was my first). We've seen everything so far. Lots of goals, contrasting styles of play, exciting matches, upsets, blowouts, nerve-racking draws, great individual performances, incredible crowds, controversy. I'm more of a club football guy, but this tournament has been great to watch.

France look seriously good. Might have the best midfield in the tournament (Matuidi, Cabaye, Pogba, etc.) along with one of the best young defenders in the world (Varane) and one of the best strikers in the world (Benzema). A really young and classy team.

I had them making the quarterfinals in my bracket, which means a game against one of the favorites, Germany, at the Maracana. That would be a heck of a contest. These were the two teams that played the greatest ever game in World Cup history ...

My favorite WC so far was '94, just a great tournament (til the dreary final) when that little gangster Stoichkov led the Bulgarians past Germany, Hage and the Romanians knocked out Argentina, Nigeria had a nice little run, and the Dutch had all those wild matches. This one is shaping up similarly, it's just been really fun

Can't believe Ghana and Germany tied today, let alone Ghana actually leading the game there until Klose tied it up. I really did think Germany was going to sweep the group.

Messi's goal today was just sick. Just a huge goal to keep Argentina from a disappointing result against Iran.

I'm interested to see how the US plays without Altidore tomorrow against Portugal. Also will be interesting to see how Portugal plays after getting blown out by Germany in their first game.

Bradley is gonna have to step up big today.

I've actually been pretty encouraged by how we've played much of the half. Just that one mistake is the difference right now.

Excellent save from Howard.