Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predator_05

World Cup Discussion

Awful way to blow the win, but at least a tie is something. But that may have cost the U.S.A. a trip tot he Round of 16.

10435830_741173249262699_4625428782732229223_n.jpg

It's a disappointing result depending on how you look at it.

If you asked me coming into the match, I'd be fine with a tie. But after leading 2-1, I was expecting a victory. And when that last second goal went in, it was like a dagger in the heart.

Still in decent shape though. A win/draw against Germany advanced the US to the knockout stage. Or a Portugal/Ghana tie.

Bradley really had an awful game. Had that one golden chance denied for a goal in the 54th minute I believe, and then turned it over for the game tying goal at the end there. He's just got to get it in deep there and burn clock. He did the one thing that he just couldn't do and that was turn it over, and Portugal capitalized on USA's mistake. He has to be better than that.

Hoping this result doesn't come back to haunt the US, but it worries me that it will. A win or even a draw against the juggernaut that is Germany is going to take one heck of an effort.

Deflating to say the least - that poor clearance was a bad start to the game but they played VERY well after which is encouraging.

Bradley was flat out horrible...he's been bad in back to back games.

The thing that sucks about the draw is that our starters really need the rest - they looked gas and we have a very thin bench.

Ghana looked solid against Germany so I'm hoping they do not blow out Portugal.

Best case scenario for Thursday is for both teams to score a goal and they park the bus for the reminder of the game and both teams move on.

But this team has exceeded expectations so far. If you were going to tell me they would be sitting at 1-0-1 with a game remaining about a month ago, I'm sure everyone would take that.

Yesterday was very disappointing. Call it nationalistic hubris if you will, but the Americans were the better team coming into the game, played a better game and should've taken all three points. But three things happened:

- They couldn't finish to save their souls, particularly in the first half. Bradley could not have picked a worse place to shoot the ball when he had an open goal in front of him

- They never truly challenged the makeshift Portugese central defense, missing both Pepe and Coentrau. Whether that was due to the absence of Jozy or because of some timely tackling by the Portugese mids, they didn't really try pushing the ball through the middle in the final third.

- What the hell was Omar Gonzalez doing playing a holding mid role when he was sent on late? That's not even remotely his strength, and this was where the lack of Mo Edu or Danny Williams (granted, the latter had a bad knee that ultimately required surgery) on the bench was glaring. He's a true center back and had no business defending that high

I thought Johnson and Beasley were excellent, and Jones was MOTM, not Howard. I thought Bradley played fairly well overall. We're all going to remember that blocked shot and him getting tired at the end, unfortunately.

EDIT: Strong performances in the WC inevitably mean transfer market rumors for next month. Jermaine Jones is now apparently a target for 5-6 MLS teams, and Matt Besler is drawing interest from the Premier League and Belgium.

Mexico going through in style, what a performance throughout the whole group stage, them vs the Dutch should be a great match though it'll be a shame to see either team go home

What an utter and complete sh*tshow from both Uruguay and Italy...

hope there isn''t any violence between fans, this is exactly the kind of nastiness on the pitch that'll start wars in the street afterwards

Caught a few glimpses in between work, very little football actually being played. Italy's caution worked against them, they needed a draw and seemed to be content with doing just enough. Uruguay went for the win and deserved it. Great comeback by Uruguay after losing their opener to Costa Rica.

So the rd of 16 is shaping up like this:

Brasil - Chile

Mexico - Holland

Uruguay - Colombia

Costa Rica - Greece/Ivory Coast

France - Nigeria

Switzerland/Ecuador - Argentina

If the USA qualifies in 2nd, we'll get Belgium in the rd of 16.

I hate that game plan from Italy - knew they would just park it and go for the draw. Came back to bite them...

And what is Suarez doing? That dude has some serious issues.

If FIFA doesn't ban this guy for the rest of the World Cup, it's going to look really bad.

I hate that game plan from Italy - knew they would just park it and go for the draw. Came back to bite them...

And what is Suarez doing? That dude has some serious issues.

If FIFA doesn't ban this guy for the rest of the World Cup, it's going to look really bad.

:D

Suarez is among the very best in the world but he's a dirty, vicious bigot, this is just the latest in a bunch of sickening incidents in his career. There are some pretty decent photos of the bite marks, FIFA is going to have to do something (though that org is so messed up and corrupt who knows how this will shake out)

And yep, Italy totally reverted to form, not only did they play for a draw but they went for a scoreless draw as well. Just a miserable match, little more than flopping, goading, violence, and complaining, it brought out the worst in both squads

This is really getting out of hand. 3 times? Really? Something needs to be done. I really doubt FiFa suspends him for life, but I could see the rest of the WC. What do you guys think should be done?

FIFA is run by a bunch of corrupt smucks so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't suspended at all. They went the money makers playing on the biggest stage.

If I were them, I would suspend him for the remainder of the WC and then make a long term decision after it's finished.

Lol about the so-called photoshopping, such a shameless excuse, a Uruguayan paper also called the controversy a "manhunt" against Suarez, interesting choice of words for a cannibal :D .

Just looking over my World Cup excel spreadsheet. If the USA qualifies in 2nd tomorrow, we'll get Belgium (who should win their group) in the round of 16. Tough match-up, but winnable. Belgium have some talented players but have had a bit of luck in their two victories. If we somehow win that game (!!!) then we could be looking at a QF against an ever-improving Argentina team. USA against Lionel Messi and co. would easily be the biggest game in US Soccer history...i'd imagine TV ratings will go through the roof.

FIFA is run by a bunch of corrupt smucks so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't suspended at all. They went the money makers playing on the biggest stage.

If I were them, I would suspend him for the remainder of the WC and then make a long term decision after it's finished.

Sadly that's what almost every sport has sunk to. Look at the NHL with Milan Lucic spearing people in the junk repeatedly and they fine him a few bucks, but let him keep playing because the Bruins generate the most money. They also have some embarrassingly bad officiating that always seems to favor the teams that'll make the league the most money. Or the NFL with all the various degenerates/lowlifes that they keep in the league just cause they'll make the league money. Baseball of course with all the PEDs and homeruns drawing in the money and those guys continuing to be allowed to play. The NBA has pretty clearly been all about doing absolutely anything to maximize the money their league generates from the horrible officiating, the lottery, and the ignoring of criminal activity.

Back to Suarez, I would hope he's banned for at least the rest of the World Cup, but it really wouldn't shock me if an "investigation" is launched and he's allowed to play the rest of this WC and they suspend him for a future one. Side question, why did he even bite that guy? I noticed that particular defender for Italy spent about half the game writhing about on the ground in fake agony, was that why Suarez did it? The whole match was pretty painful to watch, not just because Italy was trying for the 0-0 draw, but Italy's players with their over the top embellishment of EVERY SINGLE minor little collision really got tiring.

Also can ESPN get a better American announcer than Hawk Twellman? His homerism gets really old, really fast. The other guy(Jon Champion?) does a good job trying to balance that out, but it sounds like a 5 year old is doing the color commentary with how much he gushes over everything any American does.

US looked anemic in the first few minutes of the game, but the ball control was much better as the first half progressed. Unfortunately, Neuer only got a couple of touches, so we still have work to do when it comes to execution (the pass to Jones when he beat out the backline but stumbled comes to mind), but we're keeping up with a physically superior team. Jones, Beasley, Zusi have looked more than capable so far, and Howard and Gonzalez have looked great.

Oof... brutal goal, but brilliant execution and vision from Mueller.

Ghana and Portugal tied up at 1-1.

The USA keeps up in the second half and advances to the Round of 16! The Curse of Manaus has been broken.

That last-ditch header by Dempsey was so disappointing, though...

Thanks Ronaldo! Could not have advanced if it wasn't for his late goal vs Ghana. He saved the USA from elimination with a goal at the 80 minute mark.

Thanks Ronaldo! Could not have advanced if it wasn't for his late goal vs Ghana. He saved the USA from elimination with a goal at the 80 minute mark.

We still would've made it, provided Ghana didn't get ahead in points difference (scoring more than one goal more than the US).

USA Loses to Germany and Ghana Wins… USA and Ghana would finish level for second place on four points. The Americans need a one goal loss and a one-goal Ghana win. That puts them level on goal difference. The U.S. then need an equal (tiebreaker from the 2-1 win) or greater number of goals scored for the group round. USA currently has a (+1) goals scored advantage. So Ghana cannot score more than one goal more than the U.S.

For example: a 1-0 USA loss plus a 1-0 Ghana win leaves them level on points (4), goal difference (0), and goals scored (4). The U.S. goes through on head to head. Ditto for a 2-1 USA loss and a 2-1 Ghana win or a 3-2 loss and a 3-2 Ghana win.Etc. But a 1-0 USA loss plus a 2-1 Ghana victory would give Ghana an advantage on goals scored, sending them through instead.

USA Loses to Germany and Portugal Wins… USA and Portugal would finish level for second place on four points. The U.S. currently holds a (+5) goal difference advantage over Portugal. Any pair of results that maintains the U.S. advantage on goal difference sends the Americans through to the Round of 16.

http://thebiglead.co...-portugal-draw/

Ghana needed an outright win to knock out the US. Any other result meant that the US would go through.

Portugal must be kicking themselves for playing such a crappy first half in the opening game against Germany. if it wasn't for those awful 45 minutes, they would have qualified for the next round.

USA - Belgium in the next round...

Belgium not taking the US lightly (not that anyone takes anything lightly at this stage), Origi, Hazard, and Lukaku all on the bench vs Korea. Guess the coach decided rest for his best attackers was more important than running the slight risk of coming in 2nd in the group and having to face Germany. Interesting decision