Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predator_05

World Cup Discussion

Belgium not taking the US lightly (not that anyone takes anything lightly at this stage), Origi, Hazard, and Lukaku all on the bench vs Korea. Guess the coach decided rest for his best attackers was more important than running the slight risk of coming in 2nd in the group and having to face Germany. Interesting decision

Yeah, this is going to be a tough one. Not impossible, but tough. Lukaku is a beast up top and Hazard can be lethal.

Getting Jozy back for this one would be a great help.

Hazard is such a beast. Lukaku is scary as well. Got to watch out for the two Chelsea boys there. Kompany is a pretty good defender too.

Definitely not an easy matchup by any means. I think the US can win, but it will be difficult.

Massive amount on young talent on the Belgium squad but if you've watched their games closely, there doesn't seem to be much cohesion or teamwork. They really didn't turn it on until late in the 2nd halfs of all 3 of their wins. These guys can certainly get rattled and this is where the USA needs to solid football all around the pitch.

The talent is undeniable but they looked lost at times.

Hopefully Jozy suits up - just don't know how fit he is.

Yeah, you could see this Belgian team building up slowly in recent years, just so much talent led by Hazard and now they've got that 19 year old Origi looking like a beast as well, but as a team they don't seem to have gelled yet, their time to really shine might be the 2016 Euros and then WC '18. It'll be a very tough match but the US has a shot

Neymar is such a colossally overrated player. You can match an entire match with him against elite competition and dude does NOTHING. He couldn't sniff the jock of guys like Messi and Ronaldo or even that clown Suarez. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned with those guys.

Isn't stopping during your PK attempt a fail? I know he stopped, then did that stutter step after stopping but isn't it over as soon as you stop advancing? :huh:

All I can find in the FIFA rules on PKs is "Feinting to take a penalty kick in order to confuse opponents is permitted as part of football. However if in the opinion of the referee the feinting is considered an act of unsporting behavior the player shall be cautioned." Probably the most ambiguous rulebook I've ever seen. They spend more time explaining how to determine who has the bigger number at the end than they do laying out actual rules... :rolleyes:

James Rodriguez with two goals against Uruguay today. The one goal he had was an absolute perfect shot. Such a nice goal.

Colombia vs Brazil should be a good one.

James is a stud. Player of the tournament so far. Scored two of the 3 best goals we've seen in the tournament; today's opener and the one vs Japan. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up at a top Spanish club before the transfer deadline

James is a stud. Player of the tournament so far. Scored two of the 3 best goals we've seen in the tournament; today's opener and the one vs Japan. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up at a top Spanish club before the transfer deadline

Yeah and he's only 22 years old. He'll be highly sought after this impressive performance at the World Cup this year. That goal today against Uruguay was sick. Lots of skill there.

Rodriguez has been amazing, but for my taste the two best goals of the tournament have been Van Persie's "scorpion header" and Cahill for Australia against the Dutch on hitting that field wide cross out of the air and sending it right under the bar.

I think we'll just week out a win. Belgium has a terrifying team on paper, but they've looked far from that so far.

Oranje!

What an exciting game. Down 1-0 off of a very nice goal by Dos Santos in the 48th minute. Tied it up on a missile from Sneijder in the 88th, and then win it on a penalty in extra time by Huntelaar.

Will face the winner of the Costa Rica/Greece match on Saturday.

Another thrilling game, this time between Holland and Mexico. I'm quite disappointed for Mexico, this is easily the best Mexican team i have seen and they were better than Holland for most of the 90 minutes. No complaints about the penalty. van Gaal's decision to take van Persie off was ballsy and paid off big time. Most coaches wouldn't have dared to sub their best player but the change actually made Holland's front 3 a bit more dangerous going forward. Their younger players have handled the pressure really well.

Holland have something going for them; written off by many before the tournament began (i personally didn't think they would get past the group stage), they keep finding ways to win. Robben is a nightmare inside the penalty box, if he doesn't turn inside and shoot on goal, he usually finds another player to create a goalscoring chance. He is as good as it gets at 'winning' fouls. Defenders would probably be better off not trying to win the ball off him...force him to make a decision instead of letting him go for the obvious option.

Holland will probably beat the winner of Greece/Costa Rica, so we're looking at a possible Holland-Argentina semi-final.

I cannot WAIT for tomorrow...USA!!!!

And I love that Colombia team...they will knock out Brazil on Friday. Book it!

US Men's National Team striker Jozy Altidore has been cleared to play against Belgium on Tuesday.

There was uncertainty as to whether Altidore will be available for Tuesday's match but the striker has been cleared to play. There are still questions about his fitness, and many are suggesting that he might not start. If he doesn't start, expect Altidore to make an appearance off the bench, especially if the US find themselves on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

Good news for USA. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, having him in any capacity is a plus.

Can't believe Germany hasn't scored yet - this is nuts!

Its been an incredible game. Really fun 2nd half, and watching Germany throwing everything at Algeria in those last 10 minutes was amazing.

Its hard to see Algeria surviving wave after wave of German attacks for another 30 minutes...

All world performance by Howard. Just too many chances created by Belgium.

As for Bradley, jeez. Garbage.

There were chances. Chris Wondolowski had a huge chance at the 92nd minute there. And missed. And then they go down 2-0, the young Julian Green pulls them to within one, and they had chances to tie it up. And they didn't capitalize. You only get so many chances when your the US and you play a team like Belgium. The chances you get, you have to bury them. And they didn't.

In the end, it was too little too late. Howard played unbelievable. That was a performance for the ages. He played out of his mind.

Bradley was awful the entire tournament. For a guy who was supposed to be one of their better players, he severly underperformed.

Yedlin and Green impressed me with the time they had. Even though Green only played 15 or so minutes there, you could see the kid has potential. I like Yedlin's speed and he had several crosses there. The future of US soccer is right there, and there's reason for optimism.

The saddest part for me is Tim Howard. He played incredibly, and the US couldn't bail him out. Probably his last World Cup as a 35 year old. Really feel for him right now.