Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predator_05

World Cup Discussion

Nothing to feel disappointed about. Belgium were a far superior side and would have won 3-0 if it wasn't for Tim Howard's legendary performance.

Overall, it was a good tournament for the USA...plenty of progress since 2010 and some great young players to look forward to.

I keep hearing analyst say Bradley is really good. Could've fooled me. Zussi looked pretty bad too. Gave the ball up way too much. When USA plays a good team the gap in skills becomes very apparent, but I guess it's to be expected considering the world is obsessed with soccer and it's our 4th or 5th favorite sport. USA was thoroughly outplayed but you have to love soccer where a team can steal a game late if you can hang around. USA almost did just that.

DONOVAN would have BURIED that shot! :lol:

Wondo is getting a lot of heat but I doubt that goes in if it's even on goal. The GK cut off the angle and Wondo had no choice but to go high with it. People are saying he was offsides too but I think the flag was to indicate a goal kick.

Bradley was awful the entire tournament - Klinsman was spot with most of his coaching decisions except to bench Bradley...dude was clearly outclassed and lost the entire time.

The future is bright though and I hope soccer continues to develop.

Brazil is done. Their two best players will miss the Semi-finals match against Germany. Real unfortunate.

That Columbia vs Brazil game got way out of hand. The ref forgot he was ref until about 15 minutes were left in the game.

Louis van Gaal has balls bigger than Texas. I have never seen a manager sub a goalkeeper specifically for a penalty shootout. And the keeper guessed the right way almost every single time. Genius. Ready for every eventuality.

Louis van Gaal has balls bigger than Texas. I have never seen a manager sub a goalkeeper specifically for a penalty shootout. And the keeper guessed the right way almost every single time. Genius. Ready for every eventuality.

I've never seen that either, Krul sure rewarded the move, 2 stops and he guessed right on every single shot.

I've never seen that either, Krul sure rewarded the move, 2 stops and he guessed right on every single shot.

Exactly, although i don't think that was Krul on his own...the coaches probably studied Costa Rica's penalties and had him prepped for each and every one of their players. This is what good teams do.

i can't praise van gaal enough; every single change he made in holland's games always paid off.

As i suspected

http://www.theguardi...-cup?CMP=twt_gu

Louis van Gaal claimed he had always planned to throw the substitute goalkeeper, Tim Krul, on to the pitch at the end of extra time to become Holland’s unlikely shootout hero.

Van Gaal said of his gamble: “We thought it through. Every player has certain skills and qualities and they don’t always coincide. We felt Tim would be the most appropriate keeper to save penalties. You would have seen that Tim dived to the right corner twice. We’re a tiny bit proud this trick has helped us through.”

He said that he had discussed the plan with Krul, whose longer reach he thought would help him in the shootout, but not with Cillessen. “We said nothing to Jasper because we didn’t want him to know before the game. But as I’ve explained, every keeper has specific qualities. Tim has a longer reach and a better track record with penalties than Cillessen.

“We had discussed it with Tim. He knew about their penalties because he needed to be prepared. It worked out. If it hadn’t, it would have been my mistake.”

This guy will coach Manchester United after the World CUp ends

Argentina and the Dutch will be epic. Disappointed Neymar and Silva won't be able to play against Germany. Not sure if the home crowd is enough to carry them on against that German machine. I have the Germans winning it.

Argentina and the Dutch will be epic. Disappointed Neymar and Silva won't be able to play against Germany. Not sure if the home crowd is enough to carry them on against that German machine. I have the Germans winning it.

Yeah, I wish I could watch either of those games, but especially the former, in which I have no idea who will win. Sentiment says Netherlands, so I'll go that way.

It's easy for me to say now, but I had Die Mannschaft from the start. Such a strong team, no glaring weaknesses, so much experience on this level, they looked like an elite level contender from the start. I have a very hard time seeing Brazil get past, especially without Neymar.

What the hell is going on with Brazil??

So um, we're watching an epic rout. I'm shocked with how horribly the Brazilians are being deconstructed.

Easy answer: sieve for a defense.

Slightly longer answer: no Neymar equals no attack for Brazilians. The Gernans can attack at will knowing there's nothing coming on the counter.

They are frauds and they have been exposed by a better team.

Germany wins the ball high up the field, attacks the areas out wide vacated by Brazilian defenders. Simple.

I bet $200 on a German win, wish i had put my whole savings account/house/everything else of value instead...this was so obvious

Easy answer: sieve for a defense.

Slightly longer answer: no Neymar equals no attack for Brazilians. The Gernans can attack at will knowing there's nothing coming on the counter.

I knew Thiago Silva's absence would be felt, but not like this. This is worse than the Spain/Netherlands game.

How embarrassing to have this happen in front of the world at home. WOW!! Missing 2 players hurts, but this is a lot more than missing 2 players. Biggest dismantling in the event. No one even managed 5 goals in a half against the worst team in the field.

It's hardly surprising. If it wasn't for an extraordinary piece of luck in the Chile game (shot hitting the crossbar with a minute left), Brasil wouldn't have made it past the round of 16

It's hardly surprising. If it wasn't for an extraordinary piece of luck in the Chile game (shot hitting the crossbar with a minute left), Brasil wouldn't have made it past the round of 16

Pretty much everyone knew Germany was going to win, but what's surprising is just how dominant it's been. I don't think anyone expected 5-0 at the half, or even 5-0 for a final score.

I just hope there aren't any riots. Not expecting it, but there has been some civil unrest in the build-up and during the tournament.

This is unbelievable. I hope the crowd doesn't turn on themselves. This would be like if USA basketball lost by 45 points to Croatia at Madison Square Garden.

This is unbelievable. I hope the crowd doesn't turn on themselves. This would be like if USA basketball lost by 45 points to Croatia at Madison Square Garden.

Not the greatest analogy. Germany is the best team in the world. Brazil weren't really fancied for any reason other than home advantage.