Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predator_05

World Cup Discussion

Worst Brazilian team of my lifetime. The finishing has been atrocious. Hulk + Fred were huge disappointments. Not the vintage performance I'm used to seeing from Brazilian attackers.

Giving up 7 goals in an elite level soccer game is like giving 150 in an NBA game, 70 in an NFL game, or 20+ runs in an MLB game.

This is unbelievable. I hope the crowd doesn't turn on themselves. This would be like if USA basketball lost by 45 points to Croatia at Madison Square Garden.

Not the greatest analogy. Germany is the best team in the world. Brazil weren't really fancied for any reason other than home advantage.

You can't give up 7 goals.....ever in this type of game. I get they were missing a couple of guys, but it's shocking and embarrassing for a blue blood soccer country to get destroyed.....at home. Germany could have scored 15 goals. I felt bad for the crowd.

Worst Brazilian team of my lifetime. The finishing has been atrocious. Hulk + Fred were huge disappointments. Not the vintage performance I'm used to seeing from Brazilian attackers.

They don't produce skilful players like they used to. Its a transition that's happened over the last decade, their game has become more about athleticism and physical ability, not as much about technique or skill. They were an awful team to watch. 2010 wasn't a whole lot different. Kaka and Ronaldinho were the last of the 'skilful' Brazilian players, none of their current players (that includes Neymar) are anywhere near as good.

Brazil was overrated the entire time - they played like trash and was lucky to have even gone this far.

Chile should have knocked them out and don't even get me started on the Colombia game - easily the most one sided, ref driven match ever.

And then they get exposed by the Germans....clowns.

Let's see an all Euro final!

They don't produce skilful players like they used to. Its a transition that's happened over the last decade, their game has become more about athleticism and physical ability, not as much about technique or skill. They were an awful team to watch. 2010 wasn't a whole lot different. Kaka and Ronaldinho were the last of the 'skilful' Brazilian players, none of their current players (that includes Neymar) are anywhere near as good.

The last great Brazil team was in '02. The current on field product is a shell of what Brazil was in their glory days. Guys like Fred and Hulk didn't produce because they're simply not elite players.

Defense was awful. Terrible. Non existent. Whatever you want to call them, they were bad.

No counter attack either. Combine that with a terrible defense, and this is what you get.

Glad Klose got the record though. Crazy that Müller already has 10 World Cup goals at the age of 24.

Hopefully Argentina/Netherlands is more entertaining tomorrow.

The last great Brazil team was in '02. The current on field product is a shell of what Brazil was in their glory days. Guys like Fred and Hulk didn't produce because they're simply not elite players.

2006 was nice...on paper. Lots of great players in that team though. They were poorly managed and got schooled by Zidane in the quarterfinal.

Argentina vs Holland should be a lot closer. I'm liking Holland, they got 'big balls' van Gaal...he will come up with some left field s--- out of nowhere to pull out the win.

On the other hand, Argentina's defense has been stellar. Their offense is way too one-dimensional, though. It's Messi or bust.

Holland so brilliantly organised. You wouldn't even know Messi was on the field

Yeah, I just started watching in extra time after work, and the entire time was even thinking - where is Messi? Has it been like this the entire game?

Holland so brilliantly organised. You wouldn't even know Messi was on the field

Yeah, I just started watching in extra time after work, and the entire time was even thinking - where is Messi? Has it been like this the entire game?

Yeah, he's been non-existent.

That game was absolutely awful. Holland actually tried to play, but Argentina defended too deep so you had guys like Robben dropping off and getting the ball 30 yards away from goal.

Germany will win the final, they are the best team in the competition by a mile.

Why did the Dutch go to PKs without a goalkeeper? Seems like a major omission to me.

(Yes, I'm sore because I picked the Dutch to win it all pre-tournament...embarrassing way to go out.)

Why did the Dutch go to PKs without a goalkeeper? Seems like a major omission to me.

(Yes, I'm sore because I picked the Dutch to win it all pre-tournament...embarrassing way to go out.)

We'll never know if Tim Krul could've saved the day again...they used up the subs in ET. I've seen a number of people suggest that them going to PK's previously would've tipped off their tendencies. A similar thing happened to Costa Rica after they went 5/5 in a match.

This oughta be an interesting weekend. Saturday features two teams playing a day earlier than they expected. I'd like to think that Brazil figures out some way to save face, but they looked so hopeless yesterday, I'll go Dutch.

Germany all day on Sunday. And I'm going to go ahead and name them my early favorite for Russia in '18. No, Klose won't be there, and both Lahm and Schweinsteiger will be nearing their mid-30's, but that's it. The majority of the key pieces will be in their late 20's or slightly older, and some even younger. I think we'll be writing them into the final four for the next couple of tournaments on top of this one.

Germany all day on Sunday. And I'm going to go ahead and name them my early favorite for Russia in '18. No, Klose won't be there, and both Lahm and Schweinsteiger will be nearing their mid-30's, but that's it. The majority of the key pieces will be in their late 20's or slightly older, and some even younger. I think we'll be writing them into the final four for the next couple of tournaments on top of this one.

Depends on whether or not Low remains the coach. His contract is up after Euro 2016.

I wouldn't overlook France or Spain either.

The French have the best young defender in the world, Varane (21), best young midfielder, Pogba (21) and their star striker Benzema is just 26. Great group of players. They play a very open, attacking brand of soccer.

Spain can easily replace Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Iniesta with Koke (22), Javi Martinez (25), and Isco (22). They can replace Casillas with Man Utd's de Gea (23). Replacing David Villa could be a bit more difficult, he is arguably Spain's best striker ever...but Diego Costa is just 25 and will become a better player under Mourinho at Chelsea. They can easily phase out the old farts without compromising their possession-based style of play.

Depends on whether or not Low remains the coach. His contract is up after Euro 2016.

I wouldn't overlook France or Spain either.

The French have the best young defender in the world, Varane (21), best young midfielder, Pogba (21) and their star striker Benzema is just 26. Great group of players. They play a very open, attacking brand of soccer.

Spain can easily replace Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Iniesta with Koke (22), Javi Martinez (25), and Isco (22). They can replace Casillas with Man Utd's de Gea (23). Replacing David Villa could be a bit more difficult, he is arguably Spain's best striker ever...but Diego Costa is just 25 and will become a better player under Mourinho at Chelsea. They can easily phase out the old farts without compromising their possession-based style of play.

I'm not overlooking anyone, I don't think. As I said, I consider them a strong favorite in upcoming tournaments, not the only one.

The other countries have young talents, and they surely will be in the conversation.

Brazil with an embarrassing exit. 1-10 in past two games. No one will remember they even made it to the semi-finals.

I think they would rather no one remember they made it. Out of all the teams that have finished 3rd/4th in World Cups in my lifetime, I will probably remember Brazil the longest. That beating against Germany is one of the most memorable games I've ever seen. Just surreal to see Brazil so beatable at home.

Ridiculous that Messi gets Golden Ball.

Posted · Hidden by Patrick Bateman, July 14, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Patrick Bateman, July 14, 2014 - No reason given

Ridiculous that Messi gets Golden Ball.

Bull****. Wasn't even the best on his own team, Mascherano was much better.

Not a great final to be honest, even with that brilliant first half. Germany well worth their win though, great to see an amazing generation of german players winning a trophy.

Umm how did Messi win the golden ball? how was he better than James Rodriguez? He didn't even score after the group stages... RUBBISH...

A lot of people are debating the team of the tournament, so i came up with my own:

GK Neuer: best keeper in the world alongside Courtois. Maybe Germany's best player? Always had the feeling that it was gonna take something special to beat him. Huge game against Algeria.

RB Fabian Johnson: i'm biased, but i thought he was really consistent for us and did a great job against Ronaldo

CB Hummels: world class defender, also scored in the big matches against Portugal and France

CB Vlaar: rock solid for Holland throughout and their best player in the semi final

LB Daley Blind: smart, versatile player...i was really impressed by him

CM Mascherano: Argentina's best player by far.

CM Kroos: world class midfielder, great vision, amazing passer. I'd put him alongside Neuer as Germany's best player.

RM Muller: great passer, finisher, works hard off the ball. The kind of player all winning teams need. saved Germany in the Algeria game by setting up the first goal

AM James Rodriguez: top scorer but more importantly showed great vision, passing and finishing ability

LM Robben: terrifying presence, a nightmare to defend; even in extra time (never gets tired), and very good at winning fouls

F Benzema: the best striker in the tournament for me. a complete striker, can play with back to goal, hold the ball up, can run at defenders, can shoot, can pass, etc.

i'd lineup like this in a 4-3-3

------------------------ Neuer ---------

--- Johnson --- Hummels ---- Vlaar --- Blind ---

-------------------- Mascherano --------------

---------------- Kroos ------- James ---------------

------ Muller --------------------------- Robben -----

--------------------- Benzema ---------------------

Alright, i'll drop Johnson and put Germany's captain Lahm at RB. i was just really tempted to pick a USA player