Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BackwardsKRay

Ken Giles 2014 Outlook

45 posts in this topic

Aside from giving up a dinger in his debut, this kid has been lights out, striking out 50% of the batters he's faced in the early going. Small sample size, but he has the pedigree and is definitely worth monitoring in a thin Phillies bullpen if you're looking for ratio help or are in a holds league.

Could be Paps successor. Love the kid glad to see the Phil turn the page and give the kid a shot

1 person likes this

Could be another Davis/Betances for ratios and K help. Thinking about stashing him if Papelbon gets traded next month. I am worried about his walk rate though. It was horrendous (high 5s to 6s BB/9) in the minors until this year. But, from what it appears, someone in AA tweaked his mechanics and improved his command. Hopefully, he can sustain it.

Papelbon to the ChiSox...?

The W Sox will be selling. Also, they dealt Reed in the off season because they figured they could find someone random to replace him. Jones and Lindstrom both got hurt. I doubt they do a complete 180 a trade for an overpaid aging closer, especially given that they are 400 games out of first

It's somebody to keep an eye on for sure. At this point, he walks way too many guys for me to take a flier on him. If he can get his walk rate down, he has some serious potential. Even this season with his improved walk rate it's still high. One bad pitch with extra guys you put on base due to free passes is a recipe for some disastrous outings.

Why didnt he pitch this weekend??

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

Oooor someone here follows them closely and read the twitter feeds or watched the game and heard somethinf about usage or injury.

Its not a ridiculous question.

???

ahahahah zing! Easily one of the top 5 responses I've ever seen on here (insert clapping .gif)

???

Oooor someone here follows them closely and read the twitter feeds or watched the game and heard somethinf about usage or injury.

It is a ridiculous question, because it's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a relief pitcher not to pitch on a weekend, even one with a double header. In fact it boggles my mind why anyone would even wonder about such a thing.

???

It is a ridiculous question, because it's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a relief pitcher not to pitch on a weekend, even one with a double header. In fact it boggles my mind why anyone would even wonder about such a thing.

Ok man. You are the genius. Thanks for the wisdom. People like you amaze me. I hope these forums make you feel better about yourself.

Anyway, the Phillies are saying anyone is up for grabs. Cue up the fire sale. If you are speculating saves, I can see them dumping the PapSmear in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be shocked to see Giles get a shot to close.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jonathan-papelbon

Put him in the same bucket as Brad Boxberger and Shae Simmons as emerging Wade Davis and Dellin Betances clones, but jury is still out on Giles, Box, and Shae

???

Ok man. You are the genius. Thanks for the wisdom. People like you amaze me. I hope these forums make you feel better about yourself.

Anyway, the Phillies are saying anyone is up for grabs. Cue up the fire sale. If you are speculating saves, I can see them dumping the PapSmear in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be shocked to see Giles get a shot to close.

http://www.mlbtrader...nathan-papelbon

Just ignore that poster, biggest troll on these boards. Only posts trying to insult people, very clearly has a serious inferiority complex.

A normal person would have responded that there doesn't appear to be anything physically wrong with him and it looks like the situation just never called for him this weekend, pretty standard.

4 people like this

Seems like the clear cut favorite for closer if/when Paps is moved. Stashed him today in a fairly competitive closers league.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, July 20, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

Seems like the clear cut favorite for closer if/when Paps is moved. Stashed him today in a fairly competitive closers league.

Could be more competitive if he was only stashed today ;)

Bad thing is that Paps might not get traded and giles would just be setup man since the main team that need a closer or bullpen help made trades already and Paps option is making teams not want to trade for him.

Bad thing is that Paps might not get traded and giles would just be setup man since the main team that need a closer or bullpen help made trades already and Paps option is making teams not want to trade for him.

2 closers have already been moved no rumors really swirling... plus even if Paps gets traded theres no guarantee this guy gets the job.... he's a long shot to get even 8 or 9 saves ROS.

What a waste of talent.

Translation: You picked him up on your fantasy team hoping Papelbon would be traded, now you're butt hurt it seems unlikely.

A lot of us grabbed him hoping for the same - but has nothing to do with a waste of talent. A waste of talent is someone with great tools that just doesn't get it, or their personal life interferes frequently with their life as a professional athlete. Giles isn't remotely a waste of talent - he's got great stuff and is pitching outstanding. He obviously is not going to close over Papelbon.

1 person likes this

A lot of elite relievers had to wait their turn before finally getting the closer role; McGee, Allen, Melancon, Doolittle, Robertson, etc. Giles will have to wait for his as well. He'll still be fantasy relevant for Ks and ratios in the meantime ala Betances, Davis, Boxberger.

1 person likes this

What a waste of talent.

Translation: You picked him up on your fantasy team hoping Papelbon would be traded, now you're butt hurt it seems unlikely.

A lot of us grabbed him hoping for the same - but has nothing to do with a waste of talent. A waste of talent is someone with great tools that just doesn't get it, or their personal life interferes frequently with their life as a professional athlete. Giles isn't remotely a waste of talent - he's got great stuff and is pitching outstanding. He obviously is not going to close over Papelbon.

I saw this reply coming the second I clicked "Add Reply" but was too lazy to edit lol.

1 person likes this

Ye I added him in my points league a couple weeks ago but this is the first time I've really watched him play, and two of his first three pitches were 100 and 101 on MLB.com.