Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stopmakingsense

Anthony Davis 2014-2015 Season Outlook

There was some good discussion going in last year's thread a week ago, so I figured it was time for a new one. I've heard some Ryan Anderson trade rumors recently, and I think this is a situation worth monitoring when projecting Davis' numbers next season. Here are Davis' season numbers from last year compared to when Davis and Anderson played together (admittedly this is only a 15 game sample).

Season: 35 mins/52% (15.0 fga/g)/79% (6.6 fta/g)/21/10/1.6/1.3/2.8

With Anderson: 33 mins/56% (12.7 fga/g)/69% (5.3 fta/g)/18/9.6/1.1/1.0/3.3

Now this isn't a massive drop off (overall value on BBM dropped from .86 to .63 - still mid first round value), but I thought the dip in attempts was worth noting. With Asik in town as well, I think it would be in the best interest of Davis' fantasy value for Anderson to get moved.

Edit: I didn't realize that the 15 game sample included the game where Davis was hurt and he only played 10 mins. Those numbers would get bumped to around 35 mins and 13.1 fga/g, don't feel like doing the math on the rest.

Asik helps takes defensive pressure off of Davis and lets him stay at pf. That's great for him. Bad is if Holiday, Tyreke, Gordon, Anderson all there, Davis will have less shots avail. With Davis's incredible skill set and ability to dominate %'s and stocks, his floor is still top 10 if healthy. I have AD at #4 right now, and I think he's a 3-7 range guy for redraft. #2/3 in dynasty/keeper tho.

I understand what you are trying to show with this comparison, but this type of stuff is going to be pretty worthless unless it takes into account the development trend of a superstar entering his third year. At some point in the very near future the Pelicans are going to make AD the #1 or #2 option on offense, and looking at last year's stats isn't going to forecast the jump in AD's value when this happens.

For next year, I think Anderson spaces the floor which will help AD. Asik doesn't need any offense run through him, but he will probably take some boards from AD. I think Gordon's usage will decrease but Tyreke and Jrue will need to get theirs. I think the baskets will come easier for AD, but the coach is going to have to call his number more often, which I think will happen. Overall, I see a top 3 fantasy player next year.

I understand what you are trying to show with this comparison, but this type of stuff is going to be pretty worthless unless it takes into account the development trend of a superstar entering his third year. At some point in the very near future the Pelicans are going to make AD the #1 or #2 option on offense, and looking at last year's stats isn't going to forecast the jump in AD's value when this happens.

For next year, I think Anderson spaces the floor which will help AD. Asik doesn't need any offense run through him, but he will probably take some boards from AD. I think Gordon's usage will decrease but Tyreke and Jrue will need to get theirs. I think the baskets will come easier for AD, but the coach is going to have to call his number more often, which I think will happen. Overall, I see a top 3 fantasy player next year.

Yeah obviously this is only one small part of the equation, and I agree with Red Sox Nation that I'd have him at #4 currently. In the most basic sense a players value comes down to skill and opportunity. His skills will continue to increase each year (how much? who knows), but to me there is much more uncertainty on the opportunity side, so my post was directed at that.

Anderson averaged 16 fga/g last season. Over a full season that would be top 20. With that many shots coming back to the lineup, almost everyone takes a ding. I think the floor spacing will help Davis' efficiency, but hurt his volume, so that's probably close to a wash. Agreed on Asik taking a couple boards. It comes down to how much Monty runs the offense through Davis, and I just don't have a lot of faith in that coach.

the only issue in my mind is health

hasnt been able to play 70 games in the first 2 seasons

wonder how he will do this season?

Have him at four? Just curious who do you have at two and three? I'm just guessing it's LBJ and Steph? or Love?

Have him at four? Just curious who do you have at two and three? I'm just guessing it's LBJ and Steph? or Love?

Personally, I see a giant cluster from 2-6. I have LBJ ranked 2nd because he may have tapered off a bit last year, but he's still LeBron and he's probably ticked after how he lost the finals. Did anyone know James Harden was the #1 8-cat player over the final 3 months? He lost Parsons/Lin and will have an even bigger role this year. Also, even full season (8-cat), CP3 and Harden had a higher per game average (BBM wise) than AD. AD finished 6th overall last season, gets back Holiday and Anderson. Actually not a good thing since they shoot so much to go along with Gordon and Tyreke. Is AD the clear leader of that team? Yes. Is he a rising star? Yes. But would it be surprising if KD, LeBron, Curry, Harden, CP3 all out ranked him? No. I could make the case for Davis at 2 or even 6. It's just a very close cluster, to me.

In 9-cat though, obviously his low turnover ways make him much more attractive at #2, but my argument to rank him as low as even 6 is 8-cat based

I have AD ranked #4 in my rankings as of right now, but that may change as we get closer to season start. (KD, LBJ, Curry are my top 3).

AD is my clear #2 in both 8 or 9 cat, he's the only guy that could over take KD as the #1 player this season. I can see his game taking another huge step and improve in all cats. Yes the minor injuries are a concern but I'll roll the dice him bc i love to stack Stocks.

Clear #3. Absolute Monster. I am praying for the 3rd pick so i can take him...would take him easily Harden or Steph (4th/5th).

Clear #3. Absolute Monster. I am praying for the 3rd pick so i can take him...would take him easily Harden or Steph (4th/5th).

I hope you are kidding taking Harden at #4.

Harden was #1 in 8-cat over final 3 months. Loses Lin/Parsons. Will have even more stats and ball handling available to him. I've mentioned this a couple times but I'll keep doing so. Harden could easily finish #2 this season.

I love Davis. But he has a lot of ball dominant players on his team (Holiday Tyreke Anderson Gordon). Is Davis going to be a monster? Yeah, duh. Personally I love bigs that can shoot ft's. This is a big that can shoot ft's, go 20 & 10, and potentially lead the league in stocks. I will personally rank him in the 3-5 range, but I could understand anyone taking him 2nd. I could also understand why people would rank a Curry or Harden over him.

Harden was #1 in 8-cat over final 3 months. Loses Lin/Parsons. Will have even more stats and ball handling available to him. I've mentioned this a couple times but I'll keep doing so. Harden could easily finish #2 this season.

I love Davis. But he has a lot of ball dominant players on his team (Holiday Tyreke Anderson Gordon). Is Davis going to be a monster? Yeah, duh. Personally I love bigs that can shoot ft's. This is a big that can shoot ft's, go 20 & 10, and potentially lead the league in stocks. I will personally rank him in the 3-5 range, but I could understand anyone taking him 2nd. I could also understand why people would rank a Curry or Harden over him.

Like everyone else, I love Davis' skill set for fantasy combined with him clearly being on the trajectory of his career (his best seasons are yet to come). Not liking his teammate or HC situation. I think Monty Williams is overrated and could easily see him limiting Davis' minutes if the team make-up stays as is and the other players remain healthy. I just have a gut feeling that AD is going to disappoint this year and owners are going to regret picking him over Curry, Harden, CP3 and Love. Monty will get canned and Davis will fully explode in 15-16.

Like everyone else, I love Davis' skill set for fantasy combined with him clearly being on the trajectory of his career (his best seasons are yet to come). Not liking his teammate or HC situation. I think Monty Williams is overrated and could easily see him limiting Davis' minutes if the team make-up stays as is and the other players remain healthy. I just have a gut feeling that AD is going to disappoint this year and owners are going to regret picking him over Curry, Harden, CP3 and Love. Monty will get canned and Davis will fully explode in 15-16.

What evidence do you have of this? Davis averaged just over 35 minutes a game all of last season. And that is 35 minutes, even with the other core pieces (Holiday, Anderson, Gordon) all healthy and playing.

Monty is questionable, but he's not dumb. Davis is entering his 3rd year in the league and is clearly one of the best players in the league already. He's not tampering with Davis' minutes.

What evidence do you have of this? Davis averaged just over 35 minutes a game all of last season. And that is 35 minutes, even with the other core pieces (Holiday, Anderson, Gordon) all healthy and playing.

Monty is questionable, but he's not dumb. Davis is entering his 3rd year in the league and is clearly one of the best players in the league already. He's not tampering with Davis' minutes.

Per bold line above, no evidence. I'm more likely than not wrong on this - just simply do not like his ball-hogging teammates (Jrue, Tyreke, Gordon), plus a presumably healthy Anderson and new addition Asik to pinch minutes at the PF/C spots. I also don't trust Monty to do the right thing. Now if something were to happen like Anderson getting moved to HOU (for the HOU trade exception to get NO under the cap), then my opinion would change.

Over the last 3 months he averaged 26 point, 2.7 3s, 4.4 Rbs, 6.8 Ast, 1.9 Stls, 46% FG, 84% FT, 3.5 TO

I feel like the Ast number boosted his value and thats not sustainable IMO, why do you see his stats boosting? just wondering

Over the last 3 months he averaged 26 point, 2.7 3s, 4.4 Rbs, 6.8 Ast, 1.9 Stls, 46% FG, 84% FT, 3.5 TO

I feel like the Ast number boosted his value and thats not sustainable IMO, why do you see his stats boosting? just wondering

Why wouldn't his stats boost? Lin and Parsons are gone. They handled the ball a lot. Beverly and some decent back ups is all they have left. Harden is going to run this offense. I'm actually going to project him to finish with 6.5 asissts. Could easily be 7. He'll also take more shots. He could really go crazy, something like 28-5-7 with 2.5+ 3pm. What's stopping him? I don't see anything on that roster that will stop him from going crazy. AND it's an uptempo team. But this would be more for a James Harden thread.

So to relate back to Davis, there are 6-7 (depending where Love goes) reallly good players round 1. Davis possesses the highest ceiling, but does he reach that this year? Not likely considering the ball hogs he's surrounded by. Do I doubt he can go 20 & 10 with 50%fg, 80% ft, 1.5 steals, 3 blocks? No. He could go bananas. But I'm just saying people have legit reasons not to rank him 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th.

^Nice explanation. Houston cleared out players to acquire Bosh, they failed, and Harden as the main ball handler (he's more of a ball handler than their current PG Beverley) seems to be the perfect situation for him to soar to higher heights. This is the kind of situation Anthony Davis isn't in, but needs to be in if he wants to be locked in that #2 or even #1 ADP spot

Per bold line above, no evidence. I'm more likely than not wrong on this - just simply do not like his ball-hogging teammates (Jrue, Tyreke, Gordon), plus a presumably healthy Anderson and new addition Asik to pinch minutes at the PF/C spots. I also don't trust Monty to do the right thing. Now if something were to happen like Anderson getting moved to HOU (for the HOU trade exception to get NO under the cap), then my opinion would change.

But even with all those players you mentioned in the lineup and healthy, he was still the #1 ranked player in fantasy. The only statistic that Gordon, Evans, and Jrue will effect are points. That says nothing about rebs, stls, blks, and %s. And any dip in his points, which I doubt, will be very minimal.

Simply put, his teammates and coach can't hold him.

But even with all those players you mentioned in the lineup and healthy, he was still the #1 ranked player in fantasy. The only statistic that Gordon, Evans, and Jrue will effect are points. That says nothing about rebs, stls, blks, and %s. And any dip in his points, which I doubt, will be very minimal.

Asik will have something to say about rebs and blocks. He's a force in those cats per 36mins. So it's not just points. Asik is a starting-caliber center and Davis is a power forward so they'll most likely play tons of minutes together.

Asik will have something to say about rebs and blocks. He's a force in those cats per 36mins. So it's not just points. Asik is a starting-caliber center and Davis is a power forward so they'll most likely play tons of minutes together.

Asik is a below average shot blocker. Plus, there is no such thing as sharing blocks. Asik's presence has no impact on whether Davis will still block at an elite level.

As for rebounds, there will always be rebounds available. I'd say the team just became a stronger team on the glass as opposed to any fear that Davis' numbers will go down. Plus they lost 2 of their top 4 rebounders from last year in Aminu and Jason Smith.

Asik is a below average shot blocker. Plus, there is no such thing as sharing blocks. Asik's presence has no impact on whether Davis will still block at an elite level.

As for rebounds, there will always be rebounds available. I'd say the team just became a stronger team on the glass as opposed to any fear that Davis' numbers will go down. Plus they lost 2 of their top 4 rebounders from last year in Aminu and Jason Smith.

1. Asik rebounds 14.1 rebounds (read: fourteen point one rebounds) per 36 minutes his past two seasons. For comparison, Kevin Love averaged 12.4 per 36. Obviously those are different contexts but it still goes to show that an Asik with starters numbers will likely get double digits per game, or at least double digits. Yes there "will always be rebounds available" but those rebounds will be less in general. Davis will still get his share, but less rebounds.

2. Aminu got most of his share in rebounds with Davis out at the PF spot -- either when Davis was being an injured baby or when Davis is on the bench. Meaning Aminu's rebounds does not affect Davis at all. Now Jason Smith played minutes at both PF and C, meaning he sometimes played alongside Davis and affected his rebounding a bit, but only has an average of 5.8 rebounds per game. Asik will average around 9-11 AND will be playing alongside Davis so that should affect him.

3. I'm not saying Davis will no longer rebound effectively. I'm just saying that rebounding is one aspect that will be affected somehow.

4. I do not have proof whether or not blocks will be affected by Asik. I still say that playing less C / paint protector will affect him slightly if Asik gets the solid minutes in Center that he deserves. I know that Davis blocks perimeter shots effectively too, this is why I say slightly

5. A healthy Ryan Anderson may or may not decrease Davis's 36 minutes per game.

6. Overall, what I'm just trying to say is that contrary to your claim, the Pelicans team scenario not only threatens points, but other cats as well such as rebounds and blocks. Obviously, Davis has the potential to overcome these threats but there is also an equal chance that he does not -- this is a fact that fantasy (prospective) owners should consider when drafting him especially at the two spot, when there are other elite options to consider like what Red Sox Nation is trying to say

1. Asik rebounds 14.1 rebounds (read: fourteen point one rebounds) per 36 minutes his past two seasons. For comparison, Kevin Love averaged 12.4 per 36. Obviously those are different contexts but it still goes to show that an Asik with starters numbers will likely get double digits per game, or at least double digits. Yes there "will always be rebounds available" but those rebounds will be less in general. Davis will still get his share, but less rebounds.

2. Aminu got most of his share in rebounds with Davis out at the PF spot -- either when Davis was being an injured baby or when Davis is on the bench. Meaning Aminu's rebounds does not affect Davis at all. Now Jason Smith played minutes at both PF and C, meaning he sometimes played alongside Davis and affected his rebounding a bit, but only has an average of 5.8 rebounds per game. Asik will average around 9-11 AND will be playing alongside Davis so that should affect him.

3. I'm not saying Davis will no longer rebound effectively. I'm just saying that rebounding is one aspect that will be affected somehow.

4. I do not have proof whether or not blocks will be affected by Asik. I still say that playing less C / paint protector will affect him slightly if Asik gets the solid minutes in Center that he deserves. I know that Davis blocks perimeter shots effectively too, this is why I say slightly

6. Overall, what I'm just trying to say is that contrary to your claim, the Pelicans team scenario not only threatens points, but other cats as well such as rebounds and blocks. Obviously, Davis has the potential to overcome these threats but there is also an equal chance that he does not -- this is a fact that fantasy (prospective) owners should consider when drafting him especially at the two spot, when there are other elite options to consider like what Red Sox Nation is trying to say

1. There is no need to usd Per 36 stats when you can simply look at Asik's 2012-13 season when he was a full time starter.

2. A rebound is a rebound, regardless of whether it's a wing player or a big.

3. Somehow? Are you leaving room for the chance of a positive impact?

4. True, you don't have proof. I'd rather rely on stats.

5. In the 22 games Anderson played last year, AD averaged just over 19 pts, 10 boards, 1.6 stls, 3.2 blocks, in approximately 35 minutes per game. Instead of speculating on what Anderson may or may not do to AD when he's healthy, why not just look at last year's numbers prior to Anderson's injury? The same goes for Evans, Gordon, and Jrue. There are plenty of numbers to look at if you're curious about how the rest of the team effects his production.

6. Contrary to your claim, you didn't counter anything with actual evidence.

Posted · Hidden by Red Sox Nation, July 26, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Red Sox Nation, July 26, 2014 - No reason given

1. There is no need to usd Per 36 stats when you can simply look at Asik's 2012-13 season when he was a full time starter.

2. A rebound is a rebound, regardless of whether it's a wing player or a big.

3. Somehow? Are you leaving room for the chance of a positive impact?

4. True, you don't have proof. I'd rather rely on stats.

5. In the 22 games Anderson played last year, AD averaged just over 19 pts, 10 boards, 1.6 stls, 3.2 blocks, in approximately 35 minutes per game. Instead of speculating on what Anderson may or may not do to AD when he's healthy, why not just look at last year's numbers prior to Anderson's injury? The same goes for Evans, Gordon, and Jrue. There are plenty of numbers to look at if you're curious about how the rest of the team effects his production.

6. Contrary to your claim, you didn't counter anything with actual evidence.

You are probably a bored internet troll who does not understand logic.

1. 2012-2013 starter stats of Asik 11.7 rpg. It's f*cking common sense that if you're a PF and you're gonna play alongside a Center who averages near-12 rpg VERSUS a C who averages 5.8 that you might not grab all the boards as much as before.

We are all explaining that there are THREATS to Davis's production we're not saying that Davis IMMEDIATELY IS GONNA LOSE VALUE. That's why the explanation is that Davis may be drafted #2-6 because 6 is his floor despite these threats and he might even improve from last year!! I can mention all his opportunities as well to improve. BUT if you don't understand or acknowledge these common sense ideas such as threats then you're IQ is too low for this forum.

...now I can go on but clearly you dont deserve more words.

Tremixt is not an internet troll and there's no reason to be calling him out as such. Valuable forum members don't need to be insulted like that.

IMO (even as an Asik dynasty owner) you don't know the dynamic in New Orleans until we get games with them together. Yes Asik might grab a board or so that Davis could have gotten, but typically 2 bigs aren't fighting each other for rebounds. One will be pulled away from the hoop for one reason or another.

I'd like to think (even though it goes against my fantasy interests) that Williams won't lower the MPG of an up and coming superstar to appease guys like Anderson and Asik.

Taking Davis 2nd is a bit risky, but to me more so because of health concerns. He's going to be a top 3 per game guy IMO.