Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stopmakingsense

Anthony Davis 2014-2015 Season Outlook

Look at Griffin, Pekovic, Monroe...they're still able to get 9-10 rpg despite playing with the best rebounders in the game, Jordan, Love, Drummond.

I don't think Asik will hurt Davis' rebounding that much, keep in mind that Aminu is gone and he averaged like 7rpg from the SF spot.

Also Asik probably isn't strong enough to play more than 30-32mpg (averaged 30:02mpg during his best season 2 years ago) so Davis will play a good amount of minutes without him on the floor. I think they can both rebound in double-digits next year.

Often the Pels would put Anderson, smith, ajinca, or whoever on opposing centers. Sensibly they tried to keep Davis away from centers who were stronger and could draw more fouls out of him. His blocks won't be affected. I do think his Rebs get hurt. Griffin's Rebs dropped when DeAndre became really good. Last year Love saw his lowest rebounds per game since 2009. Pek definitely hurt him. Doesn't matter how elite a rebounder is, you put a strong one next to him and he's bound to lose boards. Now I'm a believer that your best player needs to play, and play a lot. Duh. But with a little more flexibility this year (Asik on team, Anderson back) they could play Davis 33-35 mins instead of the 36-38 he deserves. I doubt that, but it's possible. Anthony Davis is incredibly skilled, and still a growing player. If 1 year from now I'm in here seeing arguments for him to go #1, I wouldn't be shocked. But I also think there's a possibility that his stats are held in check (18-19 pts, 8.5-9.5 Rebs) because of his teammates. The guys ranked around him (LBJ, Curry, Harden, Paul) could all finish #2 and all have less roadblocks in the shape of teammates. It's a legit concern. If you draft Davis 2nd and he goes 19 &9 with monster stocks are you upset? No. But he won't finish 2nd that way.

Clear #3. Absolute Monster. I am praying for the 3rd pick so i can take him...would take him easily Harden or Steph (4th/5th).

I hope you are kidding taking Harden at #4.

Harden was #1 in 8-cat over final 3 months. Loses Lin/Parsons. Will have even more stats and ball handling available to him. I've mentioned this a couple times but I'll keep doing so. Harden could easily finish #2 this season.

I love Davis. But he has a lot of ball dominant players on his team (Holiday Tyreke Anderson Gordon). Is Davis going to be a monster? Yeah, duh. Personally I love bigs that can shoot ft's. This is a big that can shoot ft's, go 20 & 10, and potentially lead the league in stocks. I will personally rank him in the 3-5 range, but I could understand anyone taking him 2nd. I could also understand why people would rank a Curry or Harden over him.

I agree with your sentiments but this bolded line.

The only real ball dominant guy is tyreke. Jrue/Gordon perform fine off ball and that's likely how they'll be used more.

AD will still get his 20/10 but he really doesn't need a ton of shots imho. He's a very solid FT shooter and has no trouble getting contact.

Clear #3. Absolute Monster. I am praying for the 3rd pick so i can take him...would take him easily Harden or Steph (4th/5th).

I hope you are kidding taking Harden at #4.

Harden was #1 in 8-cat over final 3 months. Loses Lin/Parsons. Will have even more stats and ball handling available to him. I've mentioned this a couple times but I'll keep doing so. Harden could easily finish #2 this season.

I love Davis. But he has a lot of ball dominant players on his team (Holiday Tyreke Anderson Gordon). Is Davis going to be a monster? Yeah, duh. Personally I love bigs that can shoot ft's. This is a big that can shoot ft's, go 20 & 10, and potentially lead the league in stocks. I will personally rank him in the 3-5 range, but I could understand anyone taking him 2nd. I could also understand why people would rank a Curry or Harden over him.

I agree with your sentiments but this bolded line.

The only real ball dominant guy is tyreke. Jrue/Gordon perform fine off ball and that's likely how they'll be used more.

AD will still get his 20/10 but he really doesn't need a ton of shots imho. He's a very solid FT shooter and has no trouble getting contact.

I think you hit the key right here. Even with ball dominant teammates, AD's high efficiency allows him to get his points without needing a lot of shots. I'm expecting slight improvement on all his numbers (except blocks) across the board, and next year he'll be talked as the clear #2 pick, and perhaps even some debate for #1.

Asik is waaaaay too slow to be covering the ground AD does. I don't think AD's blocks have anything to worry about.

My projection: 22/10 with 1.3 spg and 2.5 bpg

Asik is going to eat up a lot of rebounds and allow Davis to play farther from the basket, meaning fewer blocks at the rim.

I expect Davis to score more this year, but Im not expecting much more than minimal improvement across his positive categories anda potential dip in fg%.

Asik will actually help reduce the Ryan Anderson effect on shot attempts because there's no way they all three play together. SF's would have a field day. His shot attempts will still relatively be affected, but I do think there will be a shift where he becomes the primary scorer (just like on team USA).

Asik will possibly have an impact on rebounds. The one that I see are the ones coming off free throws. It's up to seniority/coaching whatever to determine that. Usually it's the centers getting those. I haven't watched his games so I don't know how it was last year. But usually it's the center or star PF.

Shot blocking will not be affected at all. They are very different players. If anything, it could be boosted because players will be distracted by one (say Asik guides them the wrong way into AD's wingspan and boom! Swatted).

Stats like plus minus will also be great for AD. Asik will help boost that with his great defense.

Jrue will be forced to reduce his role as a scorer. He's really not that efficient, and if the Pelicans are any kind of stat oriented (which I think they are not since they traded for him and Evans) they should ask him to score less. This team could really be dangerous if they gel, but right now the perimeter shooting is coming from the wrong places.

Jrue, EJ, Evans as slasher/passer (or Salmons/Babbitt for shooting), AD, Asik as starters

Evans, Fredette/Rivers, Salmons/Babbitt, Ryan Anderson, Withey/Davis as bench 5 with different guys rotated in from the starters.

Looks like a good team.

Would his playoffs schedule affect your guy's perceived value of him?

it always should unless you are planning to trade him. to be honest AD is not a great trade option in my opinion. the only player id want over him is durant and no one is making that trade with you 1 for 1. that said i forget NO playoff schedule but i think it was decent. if he had 4/4 in the semis/finals week or at least 3/4 i wouldn't worry about it and not lower his value at all. im staying away from lebron though because Cleveland schedule is terrible

if youre drafting davis, whats the best strategy to go for? who would you look to support him with?

if youre drafting davis, whats the best strategy to go for? who would you look to support him with?

Drafting Davis means you have a top 4 pick. So players typically available at the end of the 2nd, early 3rd are Dirk Nowitzki, Andre Drummond, Ty Lawson, Mike Conley, Al Horford, Paul Millsap, and Nicolas Batum. I personally would pair him with one of those big men and then get one of the PG's at the beginning of the 3rd for a well balanced start. If you're trying to go big ball then you could get two of those big men or one and Nicolas Batum/Kobe if you're feeling froggy.

EDIT: These are based off of Yahoo O-Rank as of today

Drafting Davis means you have a top 4 pick. So players typically available at the end of the 2nd, early 3rd are Dirk Nowitzki, Andre Drummond, Ty Lawson, Mike Conley, Al Horford, Paul Millsap, and Nicolas Batum. I personally would pair him with one of those big men and then get one of the PG's at the beginning of the 3rd for a well balanced start. If you're trying to go big ball then you could get two of those big men or one and Nicolas Batum/Kobe if you're feeling froggy.EDIT: These are based off of Yahoo O-Rank as of today

Well, since AD is so strong in FT, you kinda don't want to ruin it by taking Drummond...I'd probably go at least one big, whoevers left of Millsap, LMA, Griffin, Bosh...maybe Horford but his injuries scare me...then I'd go Lowry or Lawson on the way back, Kyrie is an option if he slips, as is Bledsoe (injury concern)...

I'd probably go with players with stocks potential, out of position blocks...You could even go Rudy gay 3rd round building off of points and blocks...then with AD, Milsap and Gay you have a strong core of stocks, some 3s, boards, %, to build off of...

maybe Lillard 2nd or 3rd round...some would suggest Kawhi to keep turnovers down and boost stocks and %...lots of options...Oladipo but that's kind of a reach

If I got AD as my first rounder. I would go with Drummond, Bosh or Horford as my 2nd pick. 3rd I would go for a pg. If lillard, Lowry, monta(2 for 1 positions) is available I'll grab. Or pull a kawhi or Rudy in 3rd. And grab a rondo or MCW in 4th or 5th.

If I got AD as my first rounder. I would go with Drummond, Bosh or Horford as my 2nd pick. 3rd I would go for a pg. If lillard, Lowry, monta(2 for 1 positions) is available I'll grab. Or pull a kawhi or Rudy in 3rd. And grab a rondo or MCW in 4th or 5th.

What site are you guys using that you're suggesting grabbing Lowry, Lillard, and LaMarcus at the end of the second? Those guys are never there at the end of the second on Yahoo