Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stopmakingsense

Anthony Davis 2014-2015 Season Outlook

Ajinca the one who benefits?

A couple of seasons ago we were wondering whether Stephen Curry was injury prone.

Going back a little further, same with Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

There are players that truly seem to be injury risks ... Derrick Rose, Greg Oden, etc ... but for every one of those there are several players that just hit an unlucky patch and are fine thereafter.

I see what you're saying, especially with Steph. But the thing is Steph's injuries were his ankles 100% of the time, and that's why people dubbed (no pun intended) him as fragile. However, he's really not injury prone because every time he hurt his ankles he came back too soon, before he was 100%. With AD he hasn't consistently hurt one part of his body, but rather many different kinds of injuries.

Davis puts up a lot of insane numbers, but here's a number to consider: 13.69.

That's the number of average consecutive games he has been able to play before missing a game. In another word, on average, he gets hurt once a month. If you take away the fluke outlier of 39 straight games in his rookie year, his average consecutive games played before injury is 11.58 lol. He gets hurt in one way or another every 3 weeks.

There's just no way Davis will stay healthy enough to play 80 games a year. Not at this stage of his career where he still tries to putback dunk everything. I believe he will follow the career arc of guys like Derrick Rose and Vince Carter: spectacular in the first 3-4 years then break down physically for 2-3 years, but will relatively healthy by playing at 80% capacity for the rest of his career. Guys who are that athletic just always follow that pattern. Don't draft Davis after next year guys lol

When was the last time a legit "big" man, was relatively healthy? Don't they get hurt a lot due to their size? Yao Ming, Shaq, Howard all had their injuries Heck even going back to Arvydas Sabonis. Only exception would be Nowitski, but that's because he doesn't usually go for blocks.

That's the number of average consecutive games he has been able to play before missing a game. In another word, on average, he gets hurt once a month. If you take away the fluke outlier of 39 straight games in his rookie year, his average consecutive games played before injury is 11.58 lol. He gets hurt in one way or another every 3 weeks.

There's just no way Davis will stay healthy enough to play 80 games a year. Not at this stage of his career where he still tries to putback dunk everything. I believe he will follow the career arc of guys like Derrick Rose and Vince Carter: spectacular in the first 3-4 years then break down physically for 2-3 years, but will relatively healthy by playing at 80% capacity for the rest of his career. Guys who are that athletic just always follow that pattern. Don't draft Davis after next year guys lol

What sucks is that once the fantasy playoffs roll around, you have to wonder every game whether or not he's going to wind up with an extended absence that ends your season. I know this could be the case with any player in the league, but he seems incapable of going more than a few weeks without something else coming up.

When was the last time a legit "big" man, was relatively healthy? Don't they get hurt a lot due to their size? Yao Ming, Shaq, Howard all had their injuries Heck even going back to Arvydas Sabonis. Only exception would be Nowitski, but that's because he doesn't usually go for blocks.

Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, which are all better comparisons in regards to size, all come to mind.

He's nowhere close to being in the class as those behemoths you mentioned.

What sucks is that once the fantasy playoffs roll around, you have to wonder every game whether or not he's going to wind up with an extended absence that ends your season. I know this could be the case with any player in the league, but he seems incapable of going more than a few weeks without something else coming up.

A hopefully tight playoff race will force their hands to play him during fantasy playoffs. If this was a must win game, its possible he would play today.

Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, which are all better comparisons in regards to size, all come to mind.

Okay, fair point, but has any of those guys (maybe besides Garnett) been absolute bangers like AD has, hence the reasons why he has so many injuries?

Okay, fair point, but has any of those guys (maybe besides Garnett) been absolute bangers like AD has, hence the reasons why he has so many injuries?

Uh, Tim Duncan?

Is AD really that big of a banger compared to other big men in the game?

Both Gasol's have been injury free for most of their careers. Marc had one bad injury, but that is it. Big men aren't necessarily doomed to injury prone status.

LOL you must not have seen Tim Duncan in his prime. Anyways, Davis will eventually learn that sometimes it's better to surrender 2 points instead of leaping over 2 guys to try to block a shot, or shoot a hook shot rather than trying to throw down an alleywood. The older you are, the more you realize that 2 points is 2 points. AD seems like an intelligent guy too, so I think he will make the transition soon enough. He will definitely be prone to these annoying injuries for another few years though.

should weekly people start AD?

I think he will sit out the games this week. So unless you are playing on ESPN which counts the these next 2 weeks as one week, you have to sit AD

The career arc of some of the most vicious slashers?

What in the hell. Didn't he have a toe injury/shoulder injury this season?

not even mad. with a short week i rather him sit out and heal up. probably even sit out the all star game

LOL you must not have seen Tim Duncan in his prime. Anyways, Davis will eventually learn that sometimes it's better to surrender 2 points instead of leaping over 2 guys to try to block a shot, or shoot a hook shot rather than trying to throw down an alleywood. The older you are, the more you realize that 2 points is 2 points. AD seems like an intelligent guy too, so I think he will make the transition soon enough. He will definitely be prone to these annoying injuries for another few years though.

It's true, Tim Duncan could bang, especially back in 1999 pre-injury - 2001. Post-injury that finesse took him the rest of the way.

http://youtu.be/Q3Y9mG2d970

any updates on whether he might play tonight? busy night so we have other options on our benches, prob.

He'll probably ball out in the all star game and win MVP, only to get hurt again during the first game back. That's just how AD rolls. Big games will always be followed by injuries

He'll probably ball out in the all star game and win MVP, only to get hurt again during the first game back. That's just how AD rolls. Big games will always be followed by injuries

Just gotta stay positive, we kinda get what we pay for it's not like he's ever had an injury free season yet. With Pelicans fighting for a 8th spot lets just hope he kills it after ASB

Just gotta stay positive, we kinda get what we pay for it's not like he's ever had an injury free season yet. With Pelicans fighting for a 8th spot lets just hope he kills it after ASB

lol yea i've had him for 3 years, so I am used to the up and downs of owning AD.

Nice smart move to sit-out of the AS game if he's not 100%, this just tells us he's taking a playoff push more seriously than a game that doesn't count because his team is just awful without him. I'm expecting big things after this ASB.

Nice smart move to sit-out of the AS game if he's not 100%, this just tells us he's taking a playoff push more seriously than a game that doesn't count because his team is just awful without him. I'm expecting big things after this ASB.

Meanwhile Carmelo is taking off regular season games just so he can prepare to play in aforementioned meaningless exhibition game.... Lol..

Meanwhile Carmelo is taking off regular season games just so he can prepare to play in aforementioned meaningless exhibition game.... Lol..

I know it seems to me like Melo was just sticking around to be relevant for this All Star game since its in New York than calling it a season after.

What was the deal tonight? First game as an owner and only watched a tad of the game but man this was rough