Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tm30

Brady Aiken - SP CLE

Astros screwed yet again on a 1-1 pick. Aiken has elbow ligament damage.

http://www.cbssports...gning-by-astros

Yikes. It's baffling they didn't take Rodon. Appel has been putrid and doesn't have huge upside, yet the 'Stros take him #1. But Rodon is a college arm with much bigger upside, yet the 'Stros decide to take the high schooler over him? Really head-scratching.

I guess the good news is that since Aiken is young if he misses a year now it won't stunt that much of his development. They might be able to get him much cheaper now too.

Any chance he could go back to school now?

Astros screwed yet again on a 1-1 pick. Aiken has elbow ligament damage.

http://www.cbssports...gning-by-astros

Yikes. It's baffling they didn't take Rodon. Appel has been putrid and doesn't have huge upside, yet the 'Stros take him #1. But Rodon is a college arm with much bigger upside, yet the 'Stros decide to take the high schooler over him? Really head-scratching.

Imagine they would have taken Jon Gray if they didn't take Appel. Add Rodon. Wow. What could have been.

I know Aiken has plenty of time to bounce back if comes to surgery. But Rodon's proximity to the majors, along with the rest of the young'ns coming up, is a huge miss. Gray, Rodon, Folt' ... nice 1-2-3 core that would have made.

You guys do know that Rodon had shoulder issues as well last year right? He also takes over a month into pitching actual games to get his full velocity back. On top of that his primary pitch is a slider. He is an extremely scary prospect to have and acting like he was really safe compared to Aiken is not not being fair.

If the Astros and Aiken cant come to an agreement by the July 18th deadline what pick if any would the Astros get in the 2015 draft for not signing him?

If the Astros and Aiken cant come to an agreement by the July 18th deadline what pick if any would the Astros get in the 2015 draft for not signing him?

I can't realistically see him not signing. He would be sacrificing 5 million in guaranteed money for a chance at maybe 1.5 more, 2 years down the road after scouts have had time to scrutinize him more. No shot.

I guess the good news is that since Aiken is young if he misses a year now it won't stunt that much of his development. They might be able to get him much cheaper now too.

No chance he goes back to school. Throwing 6 million away wouldn't be smart if he already has elbow issues. On top of that, he would still have to go top 3 to make the same kind of money he will make now. Not only would he be banking on a successful college career, he'd also have to remain healthy. It doesn't make any sense for him to go to school.

No chance he goes back to school. Throwing 6 million away wouldn't be smart if he already has elbow issues. On top of that, he would still have to go top 3 to make the same kind of money he will make now. Not only would he be banking on a successful college career, he'd also have to remain healthy. It doesn't make any sense for him to go to school.

I just read more about it and agree. Seems like going back to school is 100 percent out of the question and he will just sign for a million or two less than what he would have

They would have the 2nd pick. Toronto couldn't sign Bickford who went 10th in 2013, so they received 11th in 2014. Pittsburgh didn't sign Appel in 2012 when he went 8th, they in turn had the 9th pick in 2013.

You guys do know that Rodon had shoulder issues as well last year right? He also takes over a month into pitching actual games to get his full velocity back. On top of that his primary pitch is a slider. He is an extremely scary prospect to have and acting like he was really safe compared to Aiken is not not being fair.

Haven't read anywhere of any shoulder issues. I followed Rodon this entire year. If he had shoulder issues, he wouldn't have pitched every single Friday, as he did this year.

Haven't read anywhere of any shoulder issues. I followed Rodon this entire year. If he had shoulder issues, he wouldn't have pitched every single Friday, as he did this year.

He admitted himself that he had shoulder issues in the 2013 season.

@EvanDrellich: Source: Brady Aiken visited 5 doctors, including James Andrews. "He may have some (of the UCL), but not much” http://t.co/f9csotpG0G

Appears the Astros are offering Aiken slightly above the minimum bonus allotted to the #1 pick that is allowed by MLB. By offering the minimum allowed by MLB, the Astros ensure that if Aiken doesn't sign that they will receive the 2nd pick in the 2015 draft as compensation. Pretty shady if you ask me. The Astros should have done more with regards to finding out how healthy Aiken was before drafting him. Now they are just trying to save their @ss with this low-ball offer that ensures they at least get compensation if Aiken doesn't sign.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24622045/brady-aikens-agent-extremely-disappointed-with-astros-during-contract-talks

Astros are playing a really dangerous game manipulating this situation so they can sign both Mac Marshall and Nix along with Aiken. You can be sure that future prospects are going to take notice of this and it will reflect in their signability with the Astros. If I'm Aiken I hope MLB allows me to become a free agent. He'd make a hell of a lot more than the Astros are offering him.

This is a very interesting story. I can see both sides, frankly. The Astros are attempting to protect their investment but doing so in a shady way. Aiken is trying to get money that is rightfully his based upon his draft position.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

This mess could have been avoided if teams were allowed to do medical examinations before they draft the players. Thats what happens in the NFL and NBA, so I don't understand why they don't allow it in MLB.

This is a very interesting story. I can see both sides, frankly. The Astros are attempting to protect their investment but doing so in a shady way. Aiken is trying to get money that is rightfully his based upon his draft position.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I agree. I can see both sides because the last thing a team wants is to have their #1 picks career sputter because of "small" ligaments. We just don't know anymore with issues regarding elbows and shoulders and every team has the right to be cautious.

I just find it hard to believe that a team would be dumb enough to purposefully create a bad relationship with a high draft pick before he even signs. Then again... they did take Appeal over Bryant and Gray......

This Astros organization is starting to look like an incompetent clown show. The whole thing with Aiken is about as shady as it gets. This is on top of the disaster that is Appel and their outright release of JD Martinez in which they said he was 'a casualty of our success' LOL

This Astros organization is starting to look like an incompetent clown show. The whole thing with Aiken is about as shady as it gets. This is on top of the disaster that is Appel and their outright release of JD Martinez in which they said he was 'a casualty of our success' LOL

How is Houston being "as shady as it gets"? Multiple doctors have examined him and they all agree his UCL is no where near normal. Some have differing opinions on how it will affect him, but the Astros are just doing their due diligence and trying to protect themselves. Now if their team doctor was the only one saying there's a problem while 4 other doctors say he's perfectly healthy, then that would be as shady as it gets. But that's not the case here. The situation is far from ideal for both sides, but I don't think the Astros are doing anything terribly wrong here.

3 of the 5 doctors, the ones not employed by the Astros and including James Andrews, think that he's fine to pitch immediately. The Astros are using this irregularity as an excuse so that they can throw Aikens money at 2 of their overslot guys.

3 of the 5 doctors, the ones not employed by the Astros and including James Andrews, think that he's fine to pitch immediately. The Astros are using this irregularity as an excuse so that they can throw Aikens money at 2 of their overslot guys.

They could, in theory, be doing that, but now by reducing Aiken's bonus to just over $3M, they are at a high risk of him not signing at all, in which case they lose that entire slot value of $7.9M, and therefore wouldn't be able to sign Nix or Marshall. That seems like a huge risk to take, especially when they had already agreed to a deal with Nix.

This true about the doctors? If so, then wow that is VERY shady in my opinion

Read between the lines. The doctor's think he is fine to pitch immediately, but they have not given him a long term bill of health.

This isn't the first prospect who has been offered less money for a small to non-existent UCL. Doesn't mean he can't be a bad pitcher, but the Astros are playing the game they have too. The rules around signing draft picks is the real issue here.