Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tm30

Brady Aiken - SP CLE

Have fun in college buddy!

Says the bitter Astro fan. He probably will, college is usually fun.

I'm assuming he goes the juco route so he will be eligible in next years draft. Wonder if Houston would take him at #2 next year?

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 27s

#Astros did not sign Brady Aiken, Jacob Nix, or Mac Marshall, according to @jimcallisMLB.

Congratulations Astros. You lose all 3 of those big draft specs and a year of draft development. Back to back draft disasters.

Have fun in college buddy!

Says the bitter Astro fan. He probably will, college is usually fun.

I'm assuming he goes the juco route so he will be eligible in next years draft. Wonder if Houston would take him at #2 next year?

I believe the player has to allow a team to draft him for the second time. In this case Aiken most definitely would not permit the Astros to do that.

Huge disaster for the Astros....Just think of their last 3 drafts. Correa looks good but he's out a year with a broken leg. Appel looks like a bust at this point and doesn't have a high ceiling either way. Now this, losing 3 top guys all at once. How could they not sign any of them??????

Huge disaster for the Astros....Just think of their last 3 drafts. Correa looks good but he's out a year with a broken leg. Appel looks like a bust at this point and doesn't have a high ceiling either way. Now this, losing 3 top guys all at once. How could they not sign any of them??????

They lost their entire 1st round money pool. Once Aiken decided not to sign they lost all the money the were going to throw at Nix and Marshall. If they would have just ponied up like 5M to Aiken they still could have gotten one of Marshall/Nix, but they got greedy.

How is this a disaster? They have 2 first round picks in the draft next year which will have better talent that's at the college level now. Whoever they get will be MLB ready before Aiken would've been anyway

These guys look pretty weak. I have to think the Astros owner on down were in line on not to sign him. His elbow is prolly in bad shape if they rejected all 3 prospects. Originally when it looked like they were trying to pay the overslot guys with Aiken's lost budget they looked evil. But all is good now that it appears to be the elbow that cost them all 3 players.

How is this a disaster? They have 2 first round picks in the draft next year which will have better talent that's at the college level now. Whoever they get will be MLB ready before Aiken would've been anyway

Let's ignore the other pick and focus on the #2 pick since they would have had the other pick regardless. They now have the #2 pick and they absolutely 100% for sure must sign this player next year or they wont be compensated again. This gives the player and his agent enormous leverage. They can ask for a million over slot and the Astros either pay it or they lose that draft pick forever. To avoid this teams will usually pick a player much earlier than he was expected to be picked. They take the inferior talent in order to make sure they don't lose the pick. Examples of this being Corey Spangenberg,Matt Hobgood etc. This also hurts the Astro's reputation with players and agents. Look at the Phillie's fiasco last year for an example of that.

Let's ignore the other pick and focus on the #2 pick since they would have had the other pick regardless. They now have the #2 pick and they absolutely 100% for sure must sign this player next year or they wont be compensated again. This gives the player and his agent enormous leverage. They can ask for a million over slot and the Astros either pay it or they lose that draft pick forever. To avoid this teams will usually pick a player much earlier than he was expected to be picked. They take the inferior talent in order to make sure they don't lose the pick. Examples of this being Corey Spangenberg,Matt Hobgood etc. This also hurts the Astro's reputation with players and agents. Look at the Phillie's fiasco last year for an example of that.

that pick is protected for 2 seasons, not 1

The Astros owner just cost Aiken his college eligibility by admitting he was contacting Aikens's advisor. Now Aiken can't go to UCLA anymore or any college anymore. This is going to absolutely ruin the Astro's relationship with agents an prospective draftees for the next decade.

@CJWittJr: Astros coming out and directly saying they tried to contact the advisor screws him out of his NCAA eligibility

Nix has filed a suit against the Astros based on their verbal agreement. If he wins the Astros will lose their next two first round picks.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan Follow

Scary Astros possibility: If Nix wins grievance to pay agreed-upon $1.5M, Houston 17% over bonus pool, would forfeit next two 1st-rd picks.

5:11 PM - 18 Jul 2014

What a disaster.

1) Slot value was $7.9 million, he agreed to $6.5 million. Then the UCL issue, and they dropped the offer to $3.1 million (minimum permitted).

2) They were trying to be too cute with the amount they were going to pay him. They needed him to get the other guys, or they would have to forfeit picks down the road.

3) So instead of stepping up and you know, making a good faith gesture, they decided to poison the well. Now they lose everyone.

4) I don't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't offer him $5.5 million or so, or $5, and then haggle to $5.5, considering he was the key to all the other pieces.

5) The same guy represents Nix and Aiken. I believe they both had commitments to UCLA. Then the owner comes out and screws Aiken out of college eligibility?

Who haven't they alienated in this affair? This is a 3rd party watching this unfold and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any facts.

What a disaster.

1) Slot value was $7.9 million, he agreed to $6.5 million. Then the UCL issue, and they dropped the offer to $3.1 million (minimum permitted).

2) They were trying to be too cute with the amount they were going to pay him. They needed him to get the other guys, or they would have to forfeit picks down the road.

3) So instead of stepping up and you know, making a good faith gesture, they decided to poison the well. Now they lose everyone.

4) I don't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't offer him $5.5 million or so, or $5, and then haggle to $5.5, considering he was the key to all the other pieces.

5) The same guy represents Nix and Aiken. I believe they both had commitments to UCLA. Then the owner comes out and screws Aiken out of college eligibility?

Who haven't they alienated in this affair? This is a 3rd party watching this unfold and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any facts.

I think Houston went up to 5 mil but Aiken refused. Fangraphs had a good write-up on the whole situation and I pretty much agree that nobody comes out of this looking good (including MLB's compensation-slot scheme)

I thought the $5 million was a last minute thing? I know they dropped the offer to the minimum after the evaluation they did.

I thought the $5 million was a last minute thing? I know they dropped the offer to the minimum after the evaluation they did.

Tweet said they bumped the offer back up to 5M with 5 minutes before the deadline but Aiken's agent just refused with no counteroffers.

@jonmorosi: Legal action could be pending in Astros-Aiken dispute. Tony Clark says MLBPA, two players and advisers are "exploring all legal options."

Hopefully Mr. Aiken comes from a wealthy family and/or has a helluva insurance policy on his arm because turning down $5M on principle might seem like a laudable stand now but should he blow out his arm and never amount to anything, that $5M will look mighty good down the line. Pass on 5M because it's not 6.5M is a bad decision and his agent should be ashamed. You want to stick it to Houston, you still sign this deal and put this ordeal in the ol' memory bank and should you make it big you royally stick it to the franchise your first chance at free-agency but you take the money now and set yourself for a very comfortable life.

The Astros owner just cost Aiken his college eligibility by admitting he was contacting Aikens's advisor. Now Aiken can't go to UCLA anymore or any college anymore. This is going to absolutely ruin the Astro's relationship with agents an prospective draftees for the next decade.

@CJWittJr: Astros coming out and directly saying they tried to contact the advisor screws him out of his NCAA eligibility

I assume he would have played indie ball for a year to be able to re-enter the draft next year. If he wanted to go play at UCLA it would have been a three year gig before being eligible for the draft again I believe - I don't think he'd have wanted that, especially as a pitcher.

I assume he would have played indie ball for a year to be able to re-enter the draft next year. If he wanted to go play at UCLA it would have been a three year gig before being eligible for the draft again I believe - I don't think he'd have wanted that, especially as a pitcher.

He can play juco ball and enter next year. Assuming this eligibility situation is false.

Hopefully Mr. Aiken comes from a wealthy family and/or has a helluva insurance policy on his arm because turning down $5M on principle might seem like a laudable stand now but should he blow out his arm and never amount to anything, that $5M will look mighty good down the line. Pass on 5M because it's not 6.5M is a bad decision and his agent should be ashamed. You want to stick it to Houston, you still sign this deal and put this ordeal in the ol' memory bank and should you make it big you royally stick it to the franchise your first chance at free-agency but you take the money now and set yourself for a very comfortable life.

I don't dis-agree that passing up 5 Mil is more likely to blow up in your face than not for a pitcher..

Problem is it was a last 5 minute thing. He had no time to re-act. That was a pretty shady move by the Astros to

I don't dis-agree that passing up 5 Mil is more likely to blow up in your face than not for a pitcher..

Problem is it was a last 5 minute thing. He had no time to re-act. That was a pretty shady move by the Astros to

That's not true at all. Aiken had an agent (or "advisor") who is presumably a sophisticated party.

5 minutes should be plenty of time to act in negotiations, especially when he should have planned for something like that to happen.