Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tm30

Brady Aiken - SP CLE

Hopefully Mr. Aiken comes from a wealthy family and/or has a helluva insurance policy on his arm because turning down $5M on principle might seem like a laudable stand now but should he blow out his arm and never amount to anything, that $5M will look mighty good down the line. Pass on 5M because it's not 6.5M is a bad decision and his agent should be ashamed. You want to stick it to Houston, you still sign this deal and put this ordeal in the ol' memory bank and should you make it big you royally stick it to the franchise your first chance at free-agency but you take the money now and set yourself for a very comfortable life.

I don't dis-agree that passing up 5 Mil is more likely to blow up in your face than not for a pitcher..

Problem is it was a last 5 minute thing. He had no time to re-act. That was a pretty shady move by the Astros to

That's not true at all. Aiken had an agent (or "advisor") who is presumably a sophisticated party.

5 minutes should be plenty of time to act in negotiations, especially when he should have planned for something like that to happen.

LOL. No. Yeah, they should have planned on a dumb low ball offer, a team expecting THEM to blink, and then throwing something out there at the last minute? When was the last time a team didn't sign a 1st rounder again?

Them throwing that offer at the last minute just shows they weren't THAT concerned about his arm, were they? It was all just a silly power play to save some cash, even though if I read things correctly, they saved enough on the initial offer to pay for the other picks.

Lot of experts in here, dispute having no actual knowledge of what Aiken's MRI shows, Houston's internal discussions, real or hyped-up concerns or how this was handled by Aiken's agent (right or wrong).

The general public is working with less than 50% of facts in this case, yet many have formed 100% concrete opinions on who is right or wrong here, much of it based on wild speculation.

This wild leap to conclusions is fascinating.

Lot of experts in here, dispute having no actual knowledge of what Aiken's MRI shows, Houston's internal discussions, real or hyped-up concerns or how this was handled by Aiken's agent (right or wrong).

The general public is working with less than 50% of facts in this case, yet many have formed 100% concrete opinions on who is right or wrong here, much of it based on wild speculation.

Or you know, do some reading. You say people don't know what is going on, yet then say the public is working with less than 50% facts? Really? So you know there is more to this? What is the super secret that is hiding out there? It doesn't matter what the experts say about MRI result, Houston said they were bad....then upped their offer. That is pretty bizarre right? He is damaged goods, then he isn't?

First team since 1983 to not sign the #1 overall pick? Here is some reading for you as to how out of the element they are from last years trade deadline. Here is some "internal discussions" for you to digest.

http://deadspin.com/...rade-1597951970

Or you know, do some reading. You say people don't know what is going on, yet then say the public is working with less than 50% facts? Really? So you know there is more to this?

First team since 1983 to not sign the #1 overall pick? Here is some reading for you as to how out of the element they are from last years trade deadline....

http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months-of-the-houston-astros-internal-trade-1597951970

So, because their internal information system was hacked (which could easily happen to most organizations) we can clearly conclude they don't know how to negotiated with players/agents or interpret medical information, and are out to screw over amateur players?

Seriously?

I get it, lots of people have strong opinions about this issue. But, how many people actually have enough hard information/facts to support those opinions?

Very few. And you, I, Deadspin or 99.9% of the internet aren't a part of that "few". So let's not pretend that we do.

Or you know, do some reading. You say people don't know what is going on, yet then say the public is working with less than 50% facts? Really? So you know there is more to this?

First team since 1983 to not sign the #1 overall pick? Here is some reading for you as to how out of the element they are from last years trade deadline....

So, because their internal information system was hacked (which could easily happen to most organizations) we can clearly conclude they don't know how to negotiated with players/agents or interpret medical information, and are out to screw over amateur players?

Seriously?

I get it, lots of people have strong opinions about this issue. But, how many people actually have enough hard information/facts to support those opinions?

Very few. And you, I, Deadspin or 99.9% of the internet aren't a part of that "few". So let's not pretend that we do.

We can only form our opinions with what we know. That is all you can ask from anyone. When you get down to it. There is so much about a lot of things we don't know the half of. But we work with what we know.

Its just a Fantasy Sports forum...

Seriously?

We can only form our opinions with what we know. That is all you can ask from anyone. When you get down to it. There is so much about a lot of things we don't know the half of. But we work with what we know.

I agree with you 100%.

And that's why I find it fascinating, that these opinions and incomplete information are transformed into perceived truth.

Look, I think it's safe to conclude that this whole situation is a mess, but assigning specific blame is silly.

At the end of the day, nobody involved (Houston, Aiken, Nix) wins here.

Seriously?

I know I'm jumping in mid-discussion, but wanted to say....

It's a fair point about working with what you have and only being able to form opinions with avaliable info, but it isn't really fair to completely eviscerate the Astros when you admittedly are working with less than 100% of the facts.

It is fair to side with the player over the team, however, and to form a personal opinion (not to state it as fact) on who is right.

Seriously?

It's a fair point about working with what you have and only being able to form opinions with avaliable info, but it isn't really fair to completely eviscerate the Astros when you admittedly are working with less than 100% of the facts.

It is fair to side with the player over the team, however, and to form a personal opinion (not to state it as fact) on who is right.

We do know what was on the MRI as it's been said several times. Aiken has a smaller than normal UCL, that is currently undamaged, but Houston is afraid that it is more likely to be damaged. They're also afraid that if it becomes damaged, repairing it may not be as easy as the conventional TJS. We also know that Aiken,Nix and the MLBPA are going after Houston. We know that Nix had a verbal agreement with Houston. Houston is going to have to prove that it didn't tie Nix's and AIken's contracts together because that is not allowed. You don't have various draftees going after you legally, including the MLBPA who these kids aren't even a member of, unless you've done something wrong. At the very least, Houston has hurt their imagine in the eyes of scouts, draftees and especially any player who Casey Close represents, which is a lot of good ones.

Seriously?

We do know what was on the MRI as it's been said several times. Aiken has a smaller than normal UCL, that is currently undamaged, but Houston is afraid that it is more likely to be damaged. They're also afraid that if it becomes damaged, repairing it may not be as easy as the conventional TJS. We also know that Aiken,Nix and the MLBPA are going after Houston. We know that Nix had a verbal agreement with Houston. Houston is going to have to prove that it didn't tie Nix's and AIken's contracts together because that is not allowed. You don't have various draftees going after you legally, including the MLBPA who these kids aren't even a member of, unless you've done something wrong. At the very least, Houston has hurt their imagine in the eyes of scouts, draftees and especially any player who Casey Close represents, which is a lot of good ones.

This is a reasonable response. Comments like this prove the point I was making.

Seriously?

I agree with you 100%.

And that's why I find it fascinating, that these opinions and incomplete information are transformed into perceived truth.

Look, I think it's safe to conclude that this whole situation is a mess, but assigning specific blame is silly.

At the end of the day, nobody involved (Houston, Aiken, Nix) wins here.

When something goes wrong between 2 parties and or conflict. Its rarely black and white far as who was wrong. Usually it takes 2 to tango, and something on both ends that they could have done/handled better.

People here(and just about everywhere) like the generalize and put blame on one party. I do not think for a second that one side is 100% innocent on this matter. But I can form the opinion that one side bears a greater share of the responsibility for what went wrong over the other. Even if I don't have all the facts, per say.

There are probably many moving parts to this situation, but it seems that:

1) The Astros were unpleasantly surprised by the ligament condition.

2) Brady Aiken and family seem a bit greedy (seriously, what high schooler -- or parent of a high schooler -- passes up a few million bucks because it's not a few million bucks more?)

So there's blame on both ends. The Astros' inability to sign their first three picks is a travesty. You end up dead last in baseball, your consolation prize is pole position in the draft. Failing that, you've failed everything. Second pick in '15 is a face-saver, but there's a year of first-round development out the window.

Aiken is lucky to be in a position to sign a multi-million dollar bonus coming out of high school, if for no other reason than the millions of kids his age who aren't in that position. Getting into a snit over the Astros' negotiating technique is short-sighted and idiotic. If you're that good, a few million is chump change against the risk of blowing out your arm (like everyone else).

I'm curious to see what the draft looks like in coming years. With pitchers epidemically going under the knife, and at unusually earlier stages of career, I'd have to imagine that teams are assessing whether it's wise, in any case, to use a 1-1 pick for a pitcher outside of limited circumstances. It may seem premature to throw that out there, but organizations are going to look at what the Cubs are doing -- basically cornering the market in low-maintenance, high return hitters, and then acquiring pitching on the free agent market, or using those prospects to acquire proven, sturdy veteran pitchers in trade -- and decide if that's not the wiser move. Still have to see if it works out for the Cubs, but right now they have a projectable, stacked lineup for 2016, which is more than what most organizations can say about trying to project their own pitching rotations down the line.

LOL. No. Yeah, they should have planned on a dumb low ball offer, a team expecting THEM to blink, and then throwing something out there at the last minute? When was the last time a team didn't sign a 1st rounder again?

Them throwing that offer at the last minute just shows they weren't THAT concerned about his arm, were they? It was all just a silly power play to save some cash, even though if I read things correctly, they saved enough on the initial offer to pay for the other picks.

No. You misunderstand what I think the adviser should have planned for. Expecting the Astros to perform an examination and medical reading of Aiken's UCL and come to the conclusion they did and negotiation stance that they did was far too unpredictable to plan for.

I was referring to the idea that the the adviser should have expected last minute negotiations, once the Astros took the stance they did on Aiken's UCL, and five minutes is more than enough to respond. From what I've read, the agent and Aiken were so upset that they did not respond to the 5 million.

The problem thus wasn't the timing, the problem was that the Astros had destroyed any good will or good faith to the negotiations with the Aiken party, whether legitimate or not, that was how the Aiken party felt.

It is unknown whether the 5 million final was a silly power play, or what reasons the Astros actually had. My guess that it was a final and legitimate offer from the Astros in an attempt to salvage their reputation going into future drafts- with an eye towards (1) good if he takes it and (2) maybe good for our p.r. if we can leak that we gave them a final offer of 5 mil considering the medical risks.

Can you think of a situation where you have more than 50% of the "facts" in a particular case?

If we're being realistic about inference, information gathering and the limits of human and collective knowledge you're probably working with far less than 100% of the facts in any given case (a laughable existential notion too, as if 100% of the facts could objectively exist).

Most of the time the language I use reflects that uncertainty, but I suppose sometimes it does not.

Also, as to medical diagnosis it would be incorrect to use the word "facts" - the results on Aiken's UCL are simply medical opinions. Interpretations grounded in "facts", which again, somewhat ironically, may be less than 50% of the total information available.

No. You misunderstand what I think the adviser should have planned for. Expecting the Astros to perform an examination and medical reading of Aiken's UCL and come to the conclusion they did and negotiation stance that they did was far too unpredictable to plan for.

I was referring to the idea that the the adviser should have expected last minute negotiations, once the Astros took the stance they did on Aiken's UCL, and five minutes is more than enough to respond. From what I've read, the agent and Aiken were so upset that they did not respond to the 5 million.

The problem thus wasn't the timing, the problem was that the Astros had destroyed any good will or good faith to the negotiations with the Aiken party, whether legitimate or not, that was how the Aiken party felt.

It is unknown whether the 5 million final was a silly power play, or what reasons the Astros actually had. My guess that it was a final and legitimate offer from the Astros in an attempt to salvage their reputation going into future drafts- with an eye towards (1) good if he takes it and (2) maybe good for our p.r. if we can leak that we gave them a final offer of 5 mil considering the medical risks.

All that said - there is still quite a bit of uncertainty around the negotiations and as the previous poster pointed out, I probably should have noted that the inferences are based on fairly large assumptions.

It is hard to know who the hero and villains of the story are, or if there are really any other than the flawed system the MLB uses for draft picks.

Is Aiken going to be available for the draft next season?

Brady Aiken may not even know the answer to that question yet, so we all have to wait and see.

No side won or even looked remotely capable in this situation, that's for sure. Whatever the Astros did to disenchant Aiken's camp so badly that they wouldn't even respond to offers at the deadline day is pretty scary. In the end, this is a kid you're dealing with, and you have to take that kind of thing into account. Low-balling him until the very last minute seems like something Luhnow could get away with with other GM's when wheeling and dealing, but not with a 17-year-old who is every bit as mature as anyone else at 17 (which is to say not very). The Astros badly overplayed their hand, and Aiken let pride get in the way of signing what was probably a fair offer at $5 million given the weird UCL scan.

Basically, if you're the Astros, you've got to be a lot more pro-active about the post-MRI/mini UCL offer to Aiken than to wait until the last hour of signing day to get it done. You've got to re-court the kid and talk to him about the inherent risks and the fact that you're still 100% behind him but that you have to mitigate the risk with a lower offer. R.A. Dickey had to deal with a lower offer after it was found out he had no UCL, and you've got to be kind about how you break the news to him. Maybe the Astros did all this and Aiken just thought he was above the MRI report, in which case, it's on him. But the evidence we've heard up till now suggests both parties acted poorly throughout, and everybody ends up losing because of it. If the Astros really do have a number cruncher in their office who thought that saving $1.5 million on Aiken (at their final $5 million offer) in order to also sign Marshall was somehow worth the risk of the awful black eye the organization would get if Aiken didn't sign, then that's the guy who should be canned. And if that's Luhnow? Then I say he's a part of the problem and not the solution. And Aiken and Close are equally dumb to have ignored the $5 million offer at the end, but if Luhnow was as aloof with them as he has been in other offers with other teams, then that's on him, too.

Nobody wins, dammit!

I can't decide if the kid is an idiot for not taking the 5 million or if he's sticking up for getting screwed. Cause he kind of got screwed but at the same time if there is any damage at all to your UCL just become rich for sure right now. But now he's going to have to go to Juco or 3 years at UCLA before getting a chance to be drafted again.

I mean being #1 out of highschool takes an extreme amount of luck. I doubt he gets drafted #1 overall next year (if he goes to a Juco).

Yeah the kid is an idiot. Your arm is showing damage the kind of damage that makes a team offer you less money. But they are still offering you enough money to go from not being a millionaire to being a millionaire 5 times over as well as allowing you to peruse your dream.

The kid honestly was so lucky to be taken #1, Rodon should have gone 1 overall. If Aiken gets taken 3rd like Rodon he's looking at around 5 million anyway.

Stupid time to be greedy. What sounds better?

Get rich while you can while following your dream?

or

Risking everything for greed?

I can't decide if the kid is an idiot for not taking the 5 million or if he's sticking up for getting screwed. Cause he kind of got screwed but at the same time if there is any damage at all to your UCL just become rich for sure right now. But now he's going to have to go to Juco or 3 years at UCLA before getting a chance to be drafted again.

I mean being #1 out of highschool takes an extreme amount of luck. I doubt he gets drafted #1 overall next year (if he goes to a Juco).

Yeah the kid is an idiot. Your arm is showing damage the kind of damage that makes a team offer you less money. But they are still offering you enough money to go from not being a millionaire to being a millionaire 5 times over as well as allowing you to peruse your dream.

The kid honestly was so lucky to be taken #1, Rodon should have gone 1 overall. If Aiken gets taken 3rd like Rodon he's looking at around 5 million anyway.

or

While I agree he should have just taken the money (as should any top 10 prospect in my opinion), maybe Aiken felt that the Astros' front office was being quite shady and unethical, therefore giving Aiken incentive not to sign. Dunno if that's the case, just a possibility.

Great article I found on the situation;

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/23/houston-astros-number-one-pick-brady-aiken-inside-story

Meh. The kid can still write his own ticket. If he goes to Juco and comes back next year for the draft he could still be a first rounder and still probably get near that money with an organization he likes more and won't get jerked around.

Everyone says he should just take the money, but that's what everyone always says. Same thing with Scherzer. Marshall, the player from LSU, wasn't gonna budge for under $2 million allegedly.

Mark Appel turned down $3.8 million from the Pirates when he was drafted #8 and look at him now. People seem very easy to put the "greedy" tag on someone when it wasn't what "they would have done". I swear I was being criticized because I didn't know all the insider facts, but people are willing to make this call without those same insider facts?

or

There is no damage to the UCL, so he's not damaged goods or likely to get TJS or whatever. Why should he take a million and a half less than they initially agreed to because the Astros are paranoid? When you have 3 doctors tell you, including James Andrews, that you're fine to pitch and that there is no evidence that a smaller UCL will lead to TJS being more likely, you tell the Astros to screw themselves.

Meh. The kid can still write his own ticket. If he goes to Juco and comes back next year for the draft he could still be a first rounder and still probably get near that money with an organization he likes more and won't get jerked around.

Everyone says he should just take the money, but that's what everyone always says. Same thing with Scherzer. Marshall, the player from LSU, wasn't gonna budge for under $2 million allegedly.

Mark Appel turned down $3.8 million from the Pirates when he was drafted #8 and look at him now. People seem very easy to put the "greedy" tag on someone when it wasn't what "they would have done". I swear I was being criticized because I didn't know all the insider facts, but people are willing to make this call without those same insider facts?

Then there's Karsten Whitson....

In the 2014 MLB draft only 3 picks had slot values of $5.00m or greater. The Astros hold picks #1 and #2 in the upcoming draft. Therefore unless he signs with the Astros again next year there is only one possible pick that realistically can pay him that $5.00m.

This does not take into account things that can adjust his value. For example he loses a lot of leverage by not having the threat to attend university for the next 3 years. Also there will always be shinier, newer prospects for teams to get excited about. And finally the simplest thing is that you can only go down value wise from the top spot.