Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tm30

Brady Aiken - SP CLE

The Astros don't own the #1 pick next year. They own the #2 pick and the pick for however they finish this year.

The Astros don't own the #1 pick next year. They own the #2 pick and the pick for however they finish this year.

oh yeah you're right, my bad. silly oversight by me. i'm so used to them having #1 all these years it must just be ingrained in my thought process that they automatically get it every year now. they could easily make it #1 four years in a row though.

Just was thinking about something.

I'm afraid he may get drafted by the Rockies this year. Great, another top pitching talent goes to Coors. I'm expecting Rodgers to go #1 to the D-Backs (obviously things change, but right now, Rodgers is the top dog), and since the Astros can't draft Aiken again with the #2 pick, the Rockies are sitting right at #3. I know the Rockies have gone heavy on pitching in recent years and have put together the trio of Gray, Butler, and Freeland, but if they think Aiken is the best player available, I could easily see them taking him. Obviously, we're a few months away from the draft here, but thinking ahead, this could be bad for Aiken's future prospects.

Just was thinking about something.

I'm afraid he may get drafted by the Rockies this year. Great, another top pitching talent goes to Coors. I'm expecting Rodgers to go #1 to the D-Backs (obviously things change, but right now, Rodgers is the top dog), and since the Astros can't draft Aiken again with the #2 pick, the Rockies are sitting right at #3. I know the Rockies have gone heavy on pitching in recent years and have put together the trio of Gray, Butler, and Freeland, but if they think Aiken is the best player available, I could easily see them taking him. Obviously, we're a few months away from the draft here, but thinking ahead, this could be bad for Aiken's future prospects.

As a Rockies fan, I hope they do take Aiken if everything checks out because you can never have too much pitching and in the Rockies case, they never have enough.

As for Aiken, it would hurt his dynasty value in fantasy but that could just mean he could just end up being a great value if he does turn out. People hates Colorado pitching prospects but sooner or later one has to turn out (well at least I hope!). Don't think it would be the worst thing ever for Aiken.

Uhoh...

Brady Aiken left his first start with IMG Academy on Thursday after just 12 pitches.

No word on why he left the game, but John Manuel of Baseball America writes that "rumors that he's not 100 percent right physically have persisted all spring." Aiken, of course, was selected No. 1 overall by the Astros last June before they pulled their initial offer off the table after the pre-signing physical reportedly revealed an elbow issue. The two sides failed to reach an agreement, so Aiken is pitching with IMG Academy in advance of reentering the draft this year. Stay tuned.
Mar 19 - 4:52 PM

John Manuel @johnmanuelba · 8h 8 hours ago

Scouts who were there today report Aiken's velocity topped in 92-93 mph range. Velo on last pitch, curveball, dipped to 72

Josh Norris @jnorris427 · 5h 5 hours ago

So, after getting shut out of interviews from the IMG side, I talked to a few people on the Ontario side who said Aiken had looked good ...

Then, after leaving a breaking ball up, he called for his catcher and manager and the the trainer joined. He was in obvious discomfort. ...

Caught the HP umpire coming out of the locker room. He was in on the meeting and said Aiken told his manager it was "tightness" in his arm.

Better yet, here's a video of his 14 or so pitches:

That curve ball that the guy talked about in the tweet I posted above seemed to have happened around the 2:07 mark.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-prospects-chat-32415/

Comment From neal
i really hope this aiken thing doesn’t end up being horribly depressing
Kiley McDaniel: Yeah the indications are that it’s headed that way. Radio silence from his camp, as you’d guess. Teams and media and public will figure out what this is, hopefully just arm soreness, when the Aiken family wants to tell us.

Brady Aiken underwent Tommy John surgery on Wednesday.

Last year's No. 1 overall pick left his first outing with IMG Academy last Thursday with an arm injury, and now everyone's worst fears have been realized. Aiken, of course, didn't sign after being picked by the Astros but had a shot to again be the No. 1 pick in 2015. Now the young lefty will be sidelined for the next year-plus.

So, the Hou organization was right after all. They took a ton of crap over this, but probably won't see anyone that blasted them giving apologies. What a fiasco. Dare I mention Karma?

So, the Hou organization was right after all. They took a ton of crap over this, but probably won't see anyone that blasted them giving apologies. What a fiasco. Dare I mention Karma?

It was reasonable for Aiken's side to take a stand. They almost had too.

"Really, an abnormally and exceptionally small UCL? Really? You guys that cheap?"

I think we had asking for what he should have got slotted where he was.

Anyways, poor Brady but man the employee for HOU that called it, get that man a corner office!

There is still no proof that a small UCL leads to increased risk in anything. Dr. Andrews shared the same opinion last offseason. What the Astros did was BS and that's why they were forced to give Nix a 1.5M settlement.

There's zero proof that it wasn't the cause either, DR's are wrong all the time with diagnosis, opinions are merely opinions, not proof

Hou's stance was that this was a possible, or rather, a likely outcome due to that issue, and they didn't want to commit that much money with that risk. Aiken's camp adamantly took the stance that it was not an issue, based on opinions. We'll never know what the exact cause was in this instance, but guess what? Houstons concern came to be, they were correct with their concerns..

Simply bad luck? or karma. you choose what you want to choose or believe,.Hou called it, I chose karma

Houston didn't believe anything and that's why in the last 30 minutes before the cut off line they raised their offer of just over 3M to either 5M or 5.5M. They tried to use it as an excuse so that they could Not only Aiken, but NIx and third overslot kid whose names escapes me at the moment. It was nothing more than a show.

Life experience:

When someone does something smart, other people think it is stupid.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/brady-aikens-medicals-are-out-situation-is-still-cloudy/

Since the failure of Aiken and Houston to reach an agreement, there’s been lots of buzz as to what the latter saw in that physical, since they’re the only team to have seen it. The most common rumors are unusual situations with the size of Aiken’s UCL, the blood flow to that area and the bone structure around the elbow. His draft stock for next week’s draft ranges anywhere from the middle of the first round to the middle of the second round, depending on how much truth there is to these rumors.

A few days ago, the Aiken camp made his medical information available to teams, but with a very rare set of conditions about who can see it. Sources indicate the information is available only to GM-level personnel or higher (who can then distribute it to other decision-makers within the team) and the GM has to make a specific request with Aiken’s camp to see it, which the Aiken camp then has accept.

I’ve spoken to a dozen executives with access to the medical, or high-ranking enough to be briefed on the situation, and details are still murky. Execs from three teams told me yesterday that their doctors are still working through the information and they should have an answer in a few days.

One team told me they have requested the medical but haven’t received it yet. Five more execs told me they will see the medical, but either haven’t looked at it yet or haven’t requested it yet, since they’re still stacking their draft board based on talent. Teams often will make adjustments to the board, based on bonus demands and medical information, after they’ve ranked the prospects according to talent.

One exec whose team doesn’t have access to the medical told me that execs from other teams told him it isn’t as bad as expected and that they think Aiken will go in the first round. A few high-ranking executives told me that this is out of their hands: it’s up to the GM and ownership to inform the draft room as to whether Aiken is an option.

A lot of smoke about the Dodgers with Aiken here. They have 4 of the top 75 picks so they have the ability (and pocket book) to take some chances.

This is all I could find..

Via Rotowire on 2/25

No. 5: Brady Aiken update.

Aiken, the Indians' No.1 pick in 2015, is in Goodyear throwing bullpen sessions in his comeback from Tommy John surgery. He threw a bullpen session Tuesday during the first full-squad workout.

The Indians used their No.1 pick on Aiken and paid him a $2.5 million signing bonus even though he was unable to pitch because of the surgery on his left elbow.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-5-20-16/

Jack Glasscock’s Cup: Have you seen or heard anything about Brady Aiken? Word is, he’s throwing off a mound and may be pitching in games soon.

Eric A Longenhagen: Yup. Saw him throw a bullpen a little while ago and he’s rusty but there are flashes of brilliance. He’s going to face live hitting soon and will probably end up starting in the AZL once Extended wraps up. He’s gotten big, like really big, and I showed a picture to a scout who saw him in HS who refuses to believe that it was Brady Aiken.

Hopefully he means "big" as in added muscle and not just gained a ton of weight.

I'm super excited for Aiken to start playing some pro games.

Little blurb from Baseball America

Brady Aiken, lhp, Indians. The Aiken-Astros story is a well-trod path, but Aiken is now, finally, pitching after having Tommy John surgery in 2015. Aiken is in extended spring training in Arizona and according to BA’s Bill Mitchell, showed a fastball at 89-92 mph, a curveball at 77-79 and a changeup at 86. You can see the video on our Facebook page.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/baseball-america-prospect-report-2/#f6xiomzwqI0gZzMY.99