Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheWhiteMamba

Terrence Jones 2014-2015 Season Outlook

Lost in the shuffle of how bad Houston's offseason was I think a lot of people have forgotten...this Terrence Jones guy is pretty damn good.

He's going into his 3rd season where a lot of players take a major leap and he should get a lot more touches on offense with Parsons gone. Assuming the minutes increase(which they should) I think he can be around 15 ppg, 8 rpg, 1.5 blocks, a steal and maybe even a 3 which is very nice from your PF although he will probably hurt a bit in FT%

I expect the hype on him to build up when preseason rolls around but he's very undervalued right now in my opinion

Lost in the shuffle of how bad Houston's offseason was I think a lot of people have forgotten...this Terrence Jones guy is pretty damn good.

He's going into his 3rd season where a lot of players take a major leap and he should get a lot more touches on offense with Parsons gone. Assuming the minutes increase(which they should) I think he can be around 15 ppg, 8 rpg, 1.5 blocks, a steal and maybe even a 3 which is very nice from your PF although he will probably hurt a bit in FT%

I expect the hype on him to build up when preseason rolls around but he's very undervalued right now in my opinion

Agreed that, as it stand, TJones has a pretty big opportunity in front of him to produce - little competition at the PF & C spots for HOU.

That being said, HOU shed the huge expiring contracts of both Asik & Lin and the team is currently $10-12M under the 14-15 salary cap. This is a team with championship aspirations, they are not through spending or making moves. Not a lot of big name FA left but someone like Greg Munroe (which would obviously crater Jone's fantasy value) makes sense. There have also been rumors of them having interest in Ilyasova. Jone's value is definitely still TBD.

Really hoping Houston stands pat with their roster. Jones has a great opportunity to prove himself. I think he's easily in the top 50-55 range (9 cat) with upside if he remains the starting PF and no other moves are made.

Agreed that, as it stand, TJones has a pretty big opportunity in front of him to produce - little competition at the PF & C spots for HOU.

That being said, HOU shed the huge expiring contracts of both Asik & Lin and the team is currently $10-12M under the 14-15 salary cap. This is a team with championship aspirations, they are not through spending or making moves. Not a lot of big name FA left but someone like Greg Munroe (which would obviously crater Jone's fantasy value) makes sense. There have also been rumors of them having interest in Ilyasova. Jone's value is definitely still TBD.

Agreed. If T-Jones is still the starting PF by the time next season is over, it won't be for HOU's lack of trying.. if they upgrade anywhere I have to think it's gonna be at PF.

I will keep my expectations tempered. I think people know about him now and could possibly reach for him barring they keep the current roster. Likewise they are under the cap so I'm expecting them to get someone to decent to back-up Howard/Jones. They lost Parsons, Casspi & Asik so I think they find some capable besides Powell & DMo.

Inconsistency was his biggest drawback last season, but if Houston holds it's current roster as it is (which I think is doubtful for all of the reasons listed above) I think he is going to have a monster season and see increases across the board. That inconsistency will hopefully be less of an issue with a full season under his belt. Houston are obviously keen to upgrade PF, especially after the way Aldridge dominated Jones in the playoffs, plus they have plenty of cap room. Big changes could happen, but as it sits right now I'm very high on him.

I would expect him to be much more consistent, his rookie year he didn't even really play so last year was his first full season and the one month he actually saw 30+ minutes he put up 16, 9.5, 1.4 blocks and a steal with Parsons and everyone else on the roster healthy. He should be featured a lot more

I'm not too worried about them adding anyone else to the roster would threaten him, they really need to use that money at PG(Beverly is not a full time starter) and on more shooting. The guy who I would be scared of them going after at this point would be Mike Scott because he's a very good shooter

He got kicked around like a homeless man in the playoffs vs. LMA (see what I did there), ;)

Therefore his perceived value and ADP are probably below where it should be (sleeper alert). Just as we shouldn't react to playoff success (see Hibbert, Roy cerca 2013) we shouldn't be overrreact to playoff failures either.

I love how his youth, talent, and situation are all aligning this year in Houston.

He got kicked around like a homeless man in the playoffs vs. LMA (see what I did there), ;)

Therefore his perceived value and ADP are probably below where it should be (sleeper alert). Just as we shouldn't react to playoff success (see Hibbert, Roy cerca 2013) we shouldn't be overrreact to playoff failures either.

I didn't catch this series. Was TJ on LMA the whole series? Because outside of the first two games, LMA shot under 40%.

I didn't catch this series. Was TJ on LMA the whole series? Because outside of the first two games, LMA shot under 40%.

Houston subbed Asik in for TJ after those games. Humanized Aldridge once the change was made with Dwight and Asik manning the paint.

There seems to be a fair amount of concern as to whether or not he can handle the LMA's and Griffin's in the west (via clutchfans). Looks like the Rockets view him as the weak link in the starting lineup. Hopefully he steps it up this season, so that they use their capspace to bolster their bench (as opposed to bringing in another starting 4). Going after Rondo would be fine too, but I have P.Bev on a few teams, so I'm kinda torn on that, lol.

Don't get blinded by his fantasy appeal. As an acutal nba player, he's quite horrible.

Seriously?

Explain in deeper context how he is "quite horrible"? Because, I beg to differ.

Don't get blinded by his fantasy appeal. As an acutal nba player, he's quite horrible.

His advanced metrics suggest otherwise. Last season Jones tore up the following stats for a second year player.

PER 19.1 (Top 20 in the league)

ORtg 119 (Right behind Anthony Davis)

WS/48 .169 (Almost top 20)

TS% 57.7 (Almost top 20)

That's not to say he doesn't have a lot of skills that need to improve. His defense, overall strength, and shot behind the arc needs a lot of work. Jones is only 22 however, and has the physical tools to improve.

A per-36 monster with a larger role? Sign me up. Asik gone, Parsons gone, Lin gone. Ariza is a spot up shooter, not a ball handler. No, Jones isn't a ball handler, but point is there will be more possessions and rebounds and minutes for this guy. I could see Jones scoring bump up to the 14-15 range, while grabbing 7-8 boards and a good number of stocks. I generally hate ft% killers, but he doesn't see to take too many so his blend of stocks with some 3's and some solid point/rebound production makes me think he'll outproduce whatever his ADP is. I'm buying.

This is a fantasy basketball message board. He's Top 75 imo.

Top 75?> Yes, for sure.

Why am I stating that he's not that good? Because, even with all the fantasy appeal in the world, games need to be won. And the Rockets FO doesn't view Tjones as a very big part of the future. As soon as they can, they'll replace him or move him to the bench, maybe as soon as this season.

Actually, I might not be surprised to see DMo damage his outlook.

Top 75?> Yes, for sure.

Why am I stating that he's not that good? Because, even with all the fantasy appeal in the world, games need to be won. And the Rockets FO doesn't view Tjones as a very big part of the future. As soon as they can, they'll replace him or move him to the bench, maybe as soon as this season.

Actually, I might not be surprised to see DMo damage his outlook.

I agree that Houston have concerns about his ability to be the answer at the 4, but I'm not concerned about DMo eating into his minutes. They'll try to bring someone in, but hopefully that won't be this season and, as I see it, the starting job is there for TJ to lose.

The more I've looked into it, the more I think getting a proper starting PG might be a more pressing issue. Morey is an advanced stats guy, and Terrence is an advanced stats darling. Noticed someone mentioned that earlier in this thread, plus there's a nice little write up about him on Sheridan Hoops right now. I'm sure they'll bring in a stretch 4 at some point though (probably off the bench). Either way, I think he's going to see an uptick in minutes, so he should be fine. Looking forward to seeing what he does with them.

The cat's out of the bag on T Jones. No more sleeper status -_- Seen him go as high as top 70 in mocks. Where should he be taken comfortably to leave room for upside and ensure that he makes it on your roster e.g. top 100? Is this the last year of his rookie contract? Might be in store for a huge year, in that case

The cat's out of the bag on T Jones. No more sleeper status -_- Seen him go as high as top 70 in mocks. Where should he be taken comfortably to leave room for upside and ensure that he makes it on your roster e.g. top 100? Is this the last year of his rookie contract? Might be in store for a huge year, in that case

ive been able to grab him consistently in the 7th, no matter what position im in. when i tried to wait until the 8th, ive been able to get him about half the time.