Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

machine3

Kyle Hendricks 2014 Outlook

129 posts in this topic

I was surprised there was no thread for Hendricks. I admittedly don't know much about him, but he put up some decent stats in the PCL this year, and has a 2.77 ERA in 2 starts with the big club. Anyone have the scouting report on him? Seems like he has a good chance to stick in the rotation.

I can break down into a bit of a scouting report... first I'll post what I posted in the Chicago Cubs Outlook 2014 thread (slightly editted):

TL;DR:

Standard 5x5 league this is probably a two category play with limited upside. QS league he may be worth it if you;re looking for QSs.

Deep league / NL Only he could be a contributor. In standards leagues I would most likely go for the higher upside play. Just like in my 16 Team league, I'm holding on to a player like Salazar instead of Hendricks, because even though I have more faith in Hendricks being good, Salazar's "Good" is far better.

Cubs Outlook Post:

"He mostly pitches in the 85-92 mph range, reading hitters' swings and disrupting their timing. Hendricks throws his changeup to all hitters and has shown the ability to pitch to the inside and outside corners and down with both his fastball and change." - Baseball America

Traded to the Cubs in the Ryan Dempster deal of 2012

When talking about pitchers positively, Hendricks is the kind of pitcher where you'll hear fluff words like "finesse" "effective" and "controlled" as opposed to "explosive" or "dominate."

High 80s, low 90s fastball with some sink. Coach claims he was increasing to 95 this year but third-parties have disputed that claim. Average Change, Slider, Curve, and Cutter. No + pitch. Simply a control and placement guy. Cerebral and tries to manipulate batters with location, command, and changing up the repetoire. Probably the pitcher who relies on trying to confuse hitters and getting weak contact.

Essentially in a standard 5x5 he'd have a shot at being valuable on a good team, but on the Cubs his upside this year is perhaps a two category player with very little K or W support.

He has had an uptick in peripherals this year, hitting over 8 K/9, but his stuff still profiles as an SP4 or even SP5. He's simply a guy that fans love because he doesn't have the special "talent" like a Yordano Ventura, but that does stifle his fantasy value.

I'd expect average ERA and WHIP with a chance to be above average, below average Ks, and below average Ws.

2013 Cubs Minor League Pitcher of the year.

2013 Stats:

AA: 10-3, 1.85 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 7.2 K/9, 21 GS

AAA: 3-1, 2.48 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 6.1 K/9, 6 GS

2014:

(AAA) 10-5, 3.58 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, ~8.3 K/9, 16 GS

-----------

After watching the first two starts:

Firstly, Hendricks had a horrible start to his big league career. He walked the first two hitters he faced in a total of 9 pitches. He gave up 3 Runs in that first inning, walking a total of 3 (one intentional). He's given up 1 Run in his past twelve innings.

In that first start, after that first inning, he sent down 12/13 hitters, giving up only one solo home run.

Two days ago, his start was "similar" in the fact that the first inning was by far his most laborous: 20 pitches out of 83 came in the First, after the first he made quick work consistently, though he was facing the Padres.

Here's some positive comments from Rick Sutcliffe:

http://espn.go.com/b...ks-hes-a-winner

1 person likes this

I heard Rick Sutcliffe's comments on the Cubs broadcast today, I was impressed, then I went out and picked up Hendricks in all 3 of my leagues.

It seemed like Sutcliffe either told the Broadcasters before hand or really just forced the conversation... either way he REALLY genuinely wanted to talk about Kyle Hendricks.

I heard Rick Sutcliffe's comments on the Cubs broadcast today, I was impressed, then I went out and picked up Hendricks in all 3 of my leagues.

What did he say?

That he reminded him of Greg Maddux, and was suppose to fly out tonight, but he was staying in Chicago to watch him pitch tomorrow.

What did he say?

Good. At least the comparisons aren't getting out of hand.

2 people like this

He's just talking about mindset, not that out of place.

He's just talking about mindset, not that out of place.

Ok. I was just reading this thread.

"The guy is a winner," Sutcliffe said. "Remember the pool tournament they had in spring training? He won that. He's good at those video games like Maddux was with Game Boy 100 years ago. Some guys are just winners. Hendricks is one of them."

I'm SOLD!

ADDED

Just kidding, that quote made me LOL though. He's a winner! :rolleyes:

"The guy is a winner," Sutcliffe said. "Remember the pool tournament they had in spring training? He won that. He's good at those video games like Maddux was with Game Boy 100 years ago. Some guys are just winners. Hendricks is one of them."

I'm SOLD!

ADDED

He should've added one more name to Mike Mussina and Greg Maddux: Tim Tebow.

1 person likes this

I'm SOLD!

ADDED

Didn't sutcliffe once get in trouble for being drunk in the booth?

will he be on a limit?

he is looking pretty good

I mean he's not a max effort pitcher, so it would seem odd to put him on a limit. Most pitchers on a limit are guys who throw really hard.Hendricks keeps it in the upper-80s, but they do seem to be pulling him from games slightly early. He hasn't gone 100 pitches yet despite having good outings, so who knows.

I think tonight he reaches 100 pitches and the kid gloves come off. Should be unleashed going forward. Anyway I'd love to be on board because I think he'll have initial success before the league figures him out but his schedule isn't too appealing.

August schedule starting with today's game goes:

vs LAD

@ COL

vs MIL

@ NYM (part of a 2-start week with the Milwaukee game)

vs Bal (will not have a DH)

@ CIN

Don't love it... but other than the Coors game there are no obvious sits so if you need a SP you can do worse. Just keep in mind that after tonight you aren't starting him again until aug12 vs Mil and that isn't a great matchup; certainly not ideal for holding that long.

Wellington Castillo is such a terrible catcher.

Really liked what I saw from Hendricks though. Sexy GB rate, attacks hitters and doesn't beat himself. If Castro hadn't botched the double play in the 1st inning, Hendricks would've had 6 scoreless innings. (The run in the 6th was already unearned due to Castillo).

Sucks his next start is @Coors but I will wait till the 12th when I can start him once again. Appears to be a hidden gem and currently my favorite deep-league golden SP.

edit: woahhhh, 95 pitches and letting him bat in the 7th?! Hate the decision

1 person likes this

You love him but you think he should be pulled at 95 pitches? Let the kid be a big leaguer.

You love him but you think he should be pulled at 95 pitches? Let the kid be a big leaguer.

Game is a blowout and felt there was no need but continued dealing and just made his line appear even better. Good call renteria

If you're able to, watch this guy pitch. He just oozes polish. Will likely end up having a horrible inning or 2 at Coors but just in case he doesn't MAKE SURE YOU SNAG HIM NOW before it's too late!

2-start week next week: vs MIL and @NYM.

One thing I really like about him is how quickly he pitches. He doesn't waste time in between pitches. The speed reminds me of Roy Halladay.

Obviously that has no fantasy impact but it makes him very easy to watch and fun to root for.

Mike Mussina, Greg Maddux, Roy Halladay?

This kid must be the second coming

Lol indeed. But as a Cubs fan do you not love his pace? It actually is Doc-esque.

Anyway was pumping strikes all day. Most of the hits were Coors-aided with the OF playing so far back. Neither run happens if he was at Wrigley. Passed the test for sure. Looking forward to next week's 2-starter