Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mpbaseball22

Rusney Castillo - 2B/OF BOS

Cuban outfielder

Cuban outfield prospect Rusney Castillo has been compared to Brett Gardner.

Others see him as a player similar to Jacoby Ellsbury. One scout compared him to Kenny Lofton.

What's certain is the 27-year-old prospect is training in Florida, he's ready to sign and will likely join a Major League team soon after his showcase on July 26 at the University of Miami. Castillo, who left Cuba six months ago, established residency in Haiti and was cleared by the U.S. government to sign with a team last week. The 5-foot-9, 185-pound outfielder has also been declared a free agent by Major League Baseball.

Here's what we know: Castillo is a right-handed hitter with power, has plus-plus speed and is viewed by some as a line-drive hitter. Scouts also like his athleticism. He'll have to start the season in the Minor Leagues, but there's a belief that he could be in the big leagues by the end of the season.

As far as I can tell this might be the last notable Cuban signing before the season is over. He has a workout scheduled for tomorrow

Saw this and I thought the comparison was funny. Gardner with power. Just an odd statement.

Friggin Kimbo Slice can have a good workout too. Can he play MLB baseball is key.

Interesting to see who signs him. Cubs/Red Sox seem like good candidates. A contender might sign him in the next two weeks, send him to AAA for 2-3 weeks, and have him in the majors for September roster expansion.

This is exactly the type of player the Mets need. If only they weren't broke losers.

Yeah, Mets NEED to make a big play on this guy. They can unload Chris Young and Colon to easily afford his contract. Mets need a leadoff hitter, OF, team speed...he would just be a perfect fit.

This is exactly the type of player the Mets need. If only they weren't broke losers.

Yeah, Mets NEED to make a big play on this guy. They can unload Chris Young and Colon to easily afford his contract. Mets need a leadoff hitter, OF, team speed...he would just be a perfect fit.

The Mets would still be bad..

I really like his swing. Just looks smooth and compact.

only problem with that is ESPN has been super slow about adding a player to their pool if he isn't there. I know Despaigne and Betts took a couple of games after they had already played in the majors before they were added. If Castillo doesn't come up this season, you may not see if his name till next year...that being said, yes I think he'd be worth a shot. He may not be worth the hype (pretty impossible for any of us to know exactly) but I think he's worth the gamble in deep leagues.

Very fast for sure, but looks a lot like a dead pull hitter.

I can't remember where I read it, but I believe there were a few quotes about his ability to hit to all fields during his showcase. Maybe a sign of things to come?

The Red Sox need him.

The Red Sox wouldn't know what to do with him. see Mookie Betts thread.

Man I wish yahoo would go ahead and add this guy to the player pool before the inevitable piano closing time article surfaces and all the idiots who have no idea who he is start bidding on him.

Well the Red Sox have acquired Castillo's countryman Cespedes and and by accounts Castillo has a private workout scheduled today with the Sox. . I know Bradley is the CF but could the Sox make the move anyway? If he is being compared to Gardner he might be the lead off hitter they've been looking for.

Red Sox will outspend other teams for him? lol

Maybe the Tigers will go after him after they traded away Austin Jackson.

Really don't get why the Red Sox would go after him especially since they have Betts.

Really don't get why the Red Sox would go after him especially since they have Betts.

Because JB sucks.

With the jays having Rasmus and Melky as FA next year and the fans/players being mad about the trade deadline I could see them going after Rusney.