Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mpbaseball22

Rusney Castillo - 2B/OF BOS

What about for CBS when will he get added?

Once deal is finalized.

From CBS twitter about 20 minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/...857059973730304

Just curious ... how long does it typically take for deal to finalize once it has been "announced" ... are we looking at the end of today? Saturday? Next week? Thanks!

What about for CBS when will he get added?

Once deal is finalized.

From CBS twitter about 20 minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/...857059973730304

Just curious ... how long does it typically take for deal to finalize once it has been "announced" ... are we looking at the end of today? Saturday? Next week? Thanks!

From MLB.com.

"Another source said that the deal will be worth more than $72 million and will be completed in the next few days."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-will-soon-sign-cuban-star-outfielder-rusney-castillo?ymd=20140822&content_id=90865644&vkey=news_bos

70 million for 7 years or so isn't that ridiculous when you consider its mostly prime years too. Granted, he might not be good and I don't know much about him, but if he's solid, it's hardly an overpay.

Pretty much every Cuban that's gone for 30 or more million has been a steal thus far.

Still not in Yahoo player pool.

He won't be until he either plays an MLB game this season or Yahoo adds him over the off season.

They add them quicker this year cause of the NA slots.

He will have to be added pretty soon too since his contract in technically "7 years" which counts this year (in other words 6 years and change). So he should be up in Boston playing real soon.

Sox overpaid, he's not Puig, not even close. He's definitely not Abreu, something closer to Leonys Martin

Sox overpaid, he's not Puig, not even close. He's definitely not Abreu, something closer to Leonys Martin

Leonys Martin went 2.7 WAR last season, 2.0 so far this year with 35ish games left. That equates to a $12MM player per year. So if he just ends up better than Martin, then he's worth it. Martin may have his struggles hitting but he does enough out there to combine with his defense to be an above average major leaguer. Castillo has upside beyond that.

I am truly shocked that red sox decided to overpay for him.... basically they holding a gun to themselves and hoping its not loaded... hope it works out for the organization that he ends up dominating mlb.

as for leonys martin, martin is full year younger and has track record in milb/mlb while Castillo does not

Leonys Martin went 2.7 WAR last season, 2.0 so far this year with 35ish games left. That equates to a $12MM player per year. So if he just ends up better than Martin, then he's worth it. Martin may have his struggles hitting but he does enough out there to combine with his defense to be an above average major leaguer. Castillo has upside beyond that.

I don't understand WAR, and certainly don't use it to judge a player. Seen them both play in Cuba, and Castillo is closer to Leonys than he is to Puig. Recent success of Cuban players had a lot to do with that contract.

I wonder if WAR helped anybody judge Abreu before taking an MLB cut? See post #20 in the Abreu thread.

I am truly shocked that red sox decided to overpay for him.... basically they holding a gun to themselves and hoping its not loaded... hope it works out for the organization that he ends up dominating mlb.

This won't happen. He's a 4th outfielder that can play the infield. Not saying he'll be a utility guy, but they certainly command more value for their versatility.

I am truly shocked that red sox decided to overpay for him.... basically they holding a gun to themselves and hoping its not loaded...

A $10 million or so contract for one of the richest teams in baseball is holding a gun to their head?

Disagree. This is the same franchise that spent 120 million on 2 different players (not to mention the Lackey deal that was a fail for most of it), both underachieved, traded both for salary dumps, and won the world series.

If this guy hits like Matt Laporta, they'll survive.

I like the signing but he isn't Puig or Cespedes. Best case he is a Ellsbury type with a better arm.

The same Ellsbury that the Yankees paid 7 years/153 for?

If he's Ellsbury, and the Sox paid less than half of Ells' contract - this is a great deal.

I like the signing but he isn't Puig or Cespedes. Best case he is a Ellsbury type with a better arm.

The same Ellsbury that the Yankees paid 7 years/153 for?

If he's Ellsbury, and the Sox paid less than half of Ells' contract - this is a great deal.

He did say best case though.

But at least this deal is for a 27 year old, Ellsbury was 30.

The great thing about this deal is that it's strictly monetary...no picks or players involved. Super low risk from a Redsox standout. If he becomes nothing, it was only money which is something they have plenty of.

72.5M is way too much for a guy who didn't even really dominate in Cuba. There is almost no upside on the contract for the Red Sox.

I am truly shocked that red sox decided to overpay for him.... basically they holding a gun to themselves and hoping its not loaded...

A $10 million or so contract for one of the richest teams in baseball is holding a gun to their head?

Disagree. This is the same franchise that spent 120 million on 2 different players (not to mention the Lackey deal that was a fail for most of it), both underachieved, traded both for salary dumps, and won the world series.

They got really lucky with that Salary dump though. Big Market teams don't just pop up like the Dodgers situation.

From my perspective. It seems like this Red Sox do try to make efforts to stay below the Luxury tax (unlike the Yankees, Dodgers). I'm sure the design to make the deal 7 years was in part of that ongoing effort to keep under said Tax.

I don't think its "holding a gun" on them. Per say. But that's still a 72.5 Mil commitment to a player who is unproven and doesn't even have a Puig/Cepedes/Abreu upside.

They got really lucky with that Salary dump though. Big Market teams don't just pop up like the Dodgers situation.

From my perspective. It seems like this Red Sox do try to make efforts to stay below the Luxury tax (unlike the Yankees, Dodgers). I'm sure the design to make the deal 7 years was in part of that ongoing effort to keep under said Tax.

I don't think its "holding a gun" on them. Per say. But that's still a 72.5 Mil commitment to a player who is unproven and doesn't even have a Puig/Cepedes/Abreu upside.

In all fairness a lot of people thought Puig didn't have Puig upside.

Also, yeah they got lucky to get bailed out by the Dodgers, but they dumped more than 4 times as much money as this particular deal. That was my point. This wont sink em.

Also, yeah they got lucky to get bailed out by the Dodgers, but they dumped more than 4 times as much money as this particular deal. That was my point. This wont sink em.

Except me, modestly speaking.

Castillo is not Puig, not even close. Jorge Soler is a much closer Puig-type player than Castillo.

Sox overpaid, and the recent success of Cubans had a lot to do with that contract.

Except me, modestly speaking.

I didn't say nobody :) and I def respect your opinion

Im just saying that when the Puig contract came out a lot of pundits thought it was a massive overpay. Now people are saying this is an overpay and he doesn't have Puig upside. People quickly forget.

Puig was said to be overpaid. Abreu's bat speed was said to be too slow for the majors.

There is risk here, but possible high reward. Many experts thought little of both Puig and Abreu's potential, so don't put too much stock into these reports. These teams generally have good scouting departments.

How many times have you seen him play?

In person, twice. On TV, more than I remember. I'm a Cuban-American living in Miami, and have family still on the island. Baseball and boxing was my passion growing up, wanna cyber? lol j/k. I do synch up with my uncle whenever I visit, and watch a lot of baseball games in Cuba.

I agree with Brock and Hellgrammite, there were questions around Puig's maturity, not so much his raw skills. Abreu also had his own red flags on bat speed, and inside pitches. Agreed. Definitely a wait-and-see approach with Castillo.

One thing to keep in mind, these guys coming from Cuba are hungry, literally and figuratively. They will do whatever it takes to succeed in the MLB. A lot of players do lip service about being a dream to play in the MLB, for these guys, it truly is a dream, and they don't intend to waste it.

Evident by Puig's improved discipline at the plate, and Abreu just keeps making adjustments. Most of these guys refuse to fail, and that, you can't measure with WAR, ISO, and all that nonsense.

15/30 player .260/.310/.450 slashes. What I think he will be. The only thing that actually worry me is the stolen bases, only had a success rate of about 71%, and that's in Cuba.

Bingo !!! Well said.

I remember when the Red Sox paid Dice K 115 mill between him and his Japan team for what amounted to 30 starts? And that was when 115 mill was worth something.