Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mpbaseball22

Rusney Castillo - 2B/OF BOS

The thing about these deals is that he was a free agent. The deal is not that bad in perspective. Scott Feldman just got 3/30. Curtis Granderson 4/60 and Choo 7/130.

The thing about these deals is that he was a free agent. The deal is not that bad in perspective. Scott Feldman just got 3/30. Curtis Granderson 4/60 and Choo 7/130.

And he is a little younger than most of the other FAs that hit the market. Choo and Ellsbury are getting huge deals at age 30, where Castillo is three years younger. I'm not saying this will end up being a good deal at all, but just to put it in perspective its not that much money for a free agent in a big market.

And he is a little younger than most of the other FAs that hit the market. Choo and Ellsbury are getting huge deals at age 30, where Castillo is three years younger. I'm not saying this will end up being a good deal at all, but just to put it in perspective its not that much money for a free agent in a big market.

And let's not forget... Baseball generated over 8 billion in 2013. There is cash flowing everywhere.

Will he play this year?

Seems that way. No real incentive to hold him back other than to market his debut and possibly and pretend it's an offseason move.

They had him up at the game today in Boston where he was meeting Sox players and taking selfies with Robinson Cano before the game etc. (Arrived yesterday for his physical). Got some advance on his contract no doubt as he was "styling" in a purple shirt and black vest.

Yep definitely been on the Puig diet of "muscle growth" shall we call it, hah. Looks like a baby bull version of Puig and listed officially at 5" 9" and 205 pounds of said muscles and zero fat.

They said he would report to spring training complex first for a few days of conditioning and, when deemed ready, make some minor league starts. (He was out of Cuban baseball awhile cause of a first, failed attempt at escaping Cuba which netted him a league suspension there).

They also made it clear they fully see him up with Boston "sometime" in September to get playing time in in center field with the big club before the season ends. Came about a half phrase short of already announcing him as their starting center fielder next year. Bye-bye Jackie Bradley unless he is kept as a 5th, defensive outfielder.

They had him up at the game today in Boston where he was meeting Sox players and taking selfies with Robinson Cano before the game etc. Yep definitely been on the Puig diet of "muscle growth" shall we call it. Looks like a baby bull version of Puig at 5" 9" and 205 pounds of muscles.

They said he would report to spring training complex first for a few days of conditioning and, when deemed ready, make some minor league starts. They also made it clear they fully see him up with Boston "sometime" in September to get playing time in in center field with the big club before the season ends. Came about a half phrase short of announcing him as their starting center fielder next year. Bye-bye Jackie Bradley unless he is kept as a 5th, defensive outfielder.

Say goodbye to Betts as well, unless he replaces Pedroia at second. I'll wager Betts winds up the better player between him and Castillo. Short-sighted move by the Sox.

They had him up at the game today in Boston where he was meeting Sox players and taking selfies with Robinson Cano before the game etc. Yep definitely been on the Puig diet of "muscle growth" shall we call it. Looks like a baby bull version of Puig at 5" 9" and 205 pounds of muscles.

They said he would report to spring training complex first for a few days of conditioning and, when deemed ready, make some minor league starts. They also made it clear they fully see him up with Boston "sometime" in September to get playing time in in center field with the big club before the season ends. Came about a half phrase short of announcing him as their starting center fielder next year. Bye-bye Jackie Bradley unless he is kept as a 5th, defensive outfielder.

Say goodbye to Betts as well, unless he replaces Pedroia at second. I'll wager Betts winds up the better player between him and Castillo. Short-sighted move by the Sox.

But that is a kind of apples and oranges comparison. Betts would never be a better center fielder. That's why Betts needs to get traded to some place where he can play 2B. And minus an alien abduction of Pedroia that isn't gonna be in Boston. Also Betts looks pretty terrible at the plate this year. He isn't ready for big league pitching yet. Needs another year in the minors probably. He is still pretty young. But someday he could have a pretty decent career as a 2B.

Meanwhile Rusney is 27 and ready for prime time now.

Reporters here say Boston wanted Abreu the most of all the recent Cubans but lost the bidding wars by 2 million to the White Sox. So they were prepared to overpay this time not to lose out of Rusney. And they can afford it so no big deal.

Betts looks fine at the plate. You're skewing and extrapolating from a really small sample size to give your argument legs, but in reality it's paraplegic. He may or may not be ready for big league pitching. We'll never really know because the Sox jerked him around. All I can say is not too many prospects his age are as advanced as he is or dominate the upper levels like he did. Hell, not too many prospects his age are even in the upper levels.

Also, the fact that Betts is so young serves to undermine your argument as well. Betts is a good 6 years younger than Castillo. Plenty of time to overtake him defensively. And you've never even seen Castillo play center field. For all you know, he may not be as good as advertised. I can tell you that while Abreu is an awesome hitter he is also a very poor first baseman.

What's remarkable about Puig is the fact that he's so good at such a young age and has succeeded in spite of his subpar makeup. Betts could also be really good at a young age. You're basically getting a finished product in Castillo, and you have no idea how that finished product will translate in MLB. Betts is only going to get better, and he's already really good.

The one guy on this forum who has seen Castillo play said he was a lot closer to Leonys Martin than Puig. Don't know about you, but I'd much rather have Betts on my team than Martin if I'm a GM. For the record, this poster also saw Abreu play and predicted big things for him. He was higher on Abreu than anybody, and he was right. That gives him some credibility in my book.

Betts looks fine at the plate. You're skewing and extrapolating from a really small sample size to give your argument legs, but in reality it's paraplegic. He may or may not be ready for big league pitching. We'll never really know because the Sox jerked him around. All I can say is not too many prospects his age are as advanced as he is or dominate the upper levels like he did. Hell, not too many prospects his age are even in the upper levels.

Also, the fact that Betts is so young serves to undermine your argument as well. Betts is a good 6 years younger than Castillo. Plenty of time to overtake him defensively. And you've never even seen Castillo play center field. For all you know, he may not be as good as advertised. I can tell you that while Abreu is an awesome hitter he is also a very poor first baseman.

What's remarkable about Puig is the fact that he's so good at such a young age and has succeeded in spite of his subpar makeup. Betts could also be really good at a young age. You're basically getting a finished product in Castillo, and you have no idea how that finished product will translate in MLB. Betts is only going to get better, and he's already really good.

The one guy on this forum who has seen Castillo play said he was a lot closer to Leonys Martin than Puig. Don't know about you, but I'd much rather have Betts on my team than Martin if I'm a GM. For the record, this poster also saw Abreu play and predicted big things for him. He was higher on Abreu than anybody, and he was right. That gives him some credibility in my book.

If he saw him play then he saw him before he added the 20 pounds this past year by whatever way he added it, cough. His physique is totally different now.

As for Betts, yes he has looked lost at the plate. Period. Yeah I get it you like the guy but he hasn't shown much so far in person. And not playing every day is no excuse since most young prospects don't necessarily get an everyday gig from the very start. You got to seize the moment. He hasn't.

Maybe he will next year but not this year and not with Boston who has way too many prospects and not enough major leaguers right now and needs someone in his prime and not another minor league lottery ticket. Maybe another team will cash in big time with Betts but it won't be the Red Sox cause he just doesn't "fit" in Boston's roster. He may end up more a Jose Altuve type and that sure isn't bad but even that is still a way away.

But I still don't know what Betts has to do with the Rusney Castillo thread. Apples and oranges. Outfielders and infielders. Rusney isn't blocking Betts. Pedroia is. And Pedroia has a multi-year, no trade contract in place and is to Boston what Jeter is to NY. Never gonna be traded. Some things in baseball transcend mere stats and thank God for that.

He got bad advice when making the video. Castillo shouldn't have been highlighting his throws so much. His arm action doesn't look very fluid and powerful at all in spite of all the muscle he's showcasing.

In the end I guess it didn't matter.

To me his physique (but he is only 5'9") seemed more impressive than his talent.

He got bad advice when making the video.

$72 million (more than Abreu, Cespedes, and Puig) speaks differently.

He got bad advice when making the video.

$72 million (more than Abreu, Cespedes, and Puig) speaks differently.

Exactly. How is it bad advice if it turns out to be the best possible advice ever by the evidence.

His throws looked weak in the video. Especially from the IF positions. Did they just shoot the video in one take? You would think they could have got better more accurate throws. That is without a runner bearing down on him too.

I stated in the end it didn't matter. Boston can afford to waste 72M. If Castillo doesn't steal successfully at the MLB level it will be for a nothing player.

He didn't exactly look great in the video even past his inability to throw for a MLB'er. I wasn't blown away by his speed either. For the 60 yards they were focusing on his calves and shot it from behind so he looked slower. The camara guy should have shot it from the side as he was finishing the dash.

I would be a rank amateur at making a showcase video and it seemed pretty bad to me. At the very least I'm not blown away by his talent like I should be.

as much as I like discussing the production value of a showcase video.... I took a flier on him in my league, and I look forward to seeing how this kid does against major league arms. that is all.

This all seems to be happening so fast. I hope they ease him into work slowly, because this guy hasn't played in a while. Don't want him to become as gimpy as Victorino is.

It seems like Castillo will play in the majors this year. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Can't wait to see how he does in his first game today. Hope he comes out of it healthy.

Next stop for Rusney Castillo:

Pawtucket.

Despite going 2-for-5 with a double, an RBI and a run scored yesterday, Castillo was unable to keep Double-A Portland from losing, 8-5, to Binghamton in the decisive Game 5 of its Eastern League semifinal. And so, the Red Sox’ recently signed Cuban center fielder will join Triple-A Pawtucket for the best-of-five International League championship series, which opens tomorrow night at McCoy Stadium, before eventually getting called up to the majors.