Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jacob83

Charles Johnson 2014 Season Outlook

113 posts in this topic

Browns coach Mike Pettine revealed that he went on YouTube to watch highlights of second-year WR Charles Johnson.

Johnson is a fantasy sleeper because he has the best combination of size and athleticism on Cleveland's wideout depth chart. "I went on YouTube and watched his Grand Valley (State) highlights. They were impressive," said Pettine. "... It’s worth taking a peek at. He’s explosive. He’s a guy that is deceptively fast. He doesn’t look like he’s covering a lot of ground but he is. I think his catch radius is bigger than most. He’s got long arms and he’s got (big) hands. He’s a guy that we hope can emerge from this as a guy that can help us."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Johnson_%28wide_receiver,_born_1989%29

Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Weight: 215 lb (98 kg)

Career information

High school: Erlanger (KY) Lloyd Memorial College: Grand Valley State NFL Draft: 2013 / Round: 7 / Pick: 216

Any projections for him? I had already been eyeing Baby Hawk as a flier to pick up some of the Gordon slack, but this is the second or third piece of buzz I've heard on this guy in as many days.

Any chance he can put up low end fantasy-relevant numbers next to Cameron and Hawkins?

Charles Johnson has reportedly been a "revelation" in the first days of Browns camp.

Johnson is on our radar because he's 6'2/215 with 4.38 jets and the Browns are desperate at the wideout spot. ESPN Cleveland says he's "surprisingly up to speed on the Kyle Shanahan offense" and "could be the receiver that comes out of nowhere to lessen the impact of – if not offset" the Josh Gordon suspension.

Source: ESPN Cleveland

It's early but this guy could be a nice flyer.

Best combination of size / speed on that team?

I think I'll take 6'2" - 4.47 40 time Miles Austin who has been there and done it before.

I project this guy for 10 / 125 / 0 on the season, but you never know. A "sleeper" is generally a guy that many never see coming. I'll be the first to admit that i didn't see him coming if he does do what is being mentioned.

1 person likes this

Miles Austin has no upside and has hamstrings made of bubble gum and tissue paper. I like other wrs at the end of the draft more than this guy, but he's worth keeping an eye on in the preseason and possibly scooping up as a lotto ticket.

Yeah, Austin has been there, done that and tore both his hamstrings doing it...

1 person likes this

Best combination of size / speed on that team?

I think I'll take 6'2" - 4.47 40 time Miles Austin who has been there and done it before.

I project this guy for 10 / 125 / 0 on the season, but you never know. A "sleeper" is generally a guy that many never see coming. I'll be the first to admit that i didn't see him coming if he does do what is being mentioned.

They are the same size and Johnson is faster...

If all you want is 6'2 and speed go find an Olympic athlete. There are more than enough of them that try to play football and pretty much all of them fail.

Maybe I should have clarified, the most important part of being a WR is the ability to play WR.

So I will restate my initial post...

"Best combination of size / speed / ability to play WR on that team? I think I'll take Miles Austin."

We will see who has superior numbers at the end of the season I suppose. Maybe yall are right about this nobody, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna win this one come season's end though.

1 person likes this

If all you want is 6'2 and speed go find an Olympic athlete. There are more than enough of them that try to play football and pretty much all of them fail.

Maybe I should have clarified, the most important part of being a WR is the ability to play WR.

So I will restate my initial post...

"Best combination of size / speed / ability to play WR on that team? I think I'll take Miles Austin."

We will see who has superior numbers at the end of the season I suppose. Maybe yall are right about this nobody, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna win this one come season's end though.

Just like you were so sure you'd win the KB vs. Jordan Matthews? Now I know zero games have been played but there's been next to no hype around Benjamin and nothing but glowing reviews on Matthews.

Just like you were so sure you'd win the KB vs. Jordan Matthews? Now I know zero games have been played but there's been next to no hype around Benjamin and nothing but glowing reviews on Matthews.

lol, just hype and "glowing reviews". Let's wait until some football has been played before you crown yourself.

All I know is you can't win anything with yesterdays numbers, which is what Austin is.

This guy is not someone who can lose you a title. He is someone you take a chance on in the range of 10 to 15 round, if he works out he may win you a title, if he fails you dump him and take that week breakout player.

Frankly you can't draft a bust after 10 rounds.

This guy may not do anything, but Austin is basically a corpse at this point in his career. I'd rather take him or Hawkins or just look elsewhere. I think my strategy is to target Hawkins as a sleeper and if I miss take this guy much later.

This guy may not do anything, but Austin is basically a corpse at this point in his career. I'd rather take him or Hawkins or just look elsewhere. I think my strategy is to target Hawkins as a sleeper and if I miss take this guy much later.

Hawkins is different type of player. This guy is 6'2 with 4.4 speed.

He might not do anything but Like I said he is not expensive and is just another gamble, if you hit jackpot great if not who cares, you move on to the next guy with potential.

1 person likes this

In a PPR league Miles Austin is being drafted in round 14, so basically every argument you made for this guy can be applied to Austin. It's cool though, the Austin hate is definitely here and I see little need to defend him any further.

Good luck seeing who has the better season. I'll be watching closely with Miles Austin on my team until the need to drop him for the next hot free agent arises.

1 person likes this

In a PPR league Miles Austin is being drafted in round 14, so basically every argument you made for this guy can be applied to Austin. It's cool though, the Austin hate is definitely here and I see little need to defend him any further.

Good luck seeing who has the better season. I'll be watching closely with Miles Austin on my team until the need to drop him for the next hot free agent arises.

None whatsoever. If Gordon returns Austin becomes a footnote and no one is interested in the defense much less whoever it was that was being defended.

People see a Roto article and think Gordon is coming back. He just hired a new lawyer like a week ago and the lawyer is just doing his job and acting like there is a case out there so he gets paid by Gordon.

Yall forget that Gordon got a DWI AFTER he got busted for pot AGAIN. I've been wrong before and it can definitely happen again, but I can't see a situation where he plays.

People see a Roto article and think Gordon is coming back. He just hired a new lawyer like a week ago and the lawyer is just doing his job and acting like there is a case out there so he gets paid by Gordon.

Yall forget that Gordon got a DWI AFTER he got busted for pot AGAIN. I've been wrong before and it can definitely happen again, but I can't see a situation where he plays.

ESPN: "Gordon's arrest in early July in North Carolina also was a DWI charge, which is unrelated to the proceedings surrounding his positive marijuana test. It cannot and will not be factored into any discipline that is doled out to Gordon over this violation."

People see a Roto article and think Gordon is coming back.

ESPN: "Gordon's arrest in early July in North Carolina also was a DWI charge, which is unrelated to the proceedings surrounding his positive marijuana test. It cannot and will not be factored into any discipline that is doled out to Gordon over this violation."

Muted. This guy seems like he's posting just to get his post numbers up since none of them that I've seen are factual or make sense.

If he's making waves while practicing against one of the best defenses in the league, I'm keeping my eye on him in the preseason. I'll definitely try to draft him as a wait and see in my leagues with Hoyer as QB.

1 person likes this

Muted. This guy seems like he's posting just to get his post numbers up since none of them that I've seen are factual or make sense.

If he's making waves while practicing against one of the best defenses in the league, I'm keeping my eye on him in the preseason. I'll definitely try to draft him as a wait and see in my leagues with Hoyer as QB.

Were you referring to me? If you were, make sure to unmute me and let me know I was correct when he doesn't play again in 2014.

ss3walkman - I'm not sure if you trying to correct me somehow, I didn't totally understand what your post was meant to imply. He hasn't been punished for the DWI yet, so let's say for example they reduce his failed weed test to 8 games, then it's still very likely they hit him with another 8 or additional season for the DWI he acquired thereafter.

Were you referring to me? If you were, make sure to unmute me and let me know I was correct when he doesn't play again in 2014.

ss3walkman - I'm not sure if you trying to correct me somehow, I didn't totally understand what your post was meant to imply. He hasn't been punished for the DWI yet, so let's say for example they reduce his failed weed test to 8 games, then it's still very likely they hit him with another 8 or additional season for the DWI he acquired thereafter.

I'm saying it's two different things. They can't/won't punish Gordon for the DWI until after a judge does. He had a .08 and the limit is .07. Take in the fact he already did a few weeks at a rehab facility and it's a good chance it gets dismissed anyway. A DWI is a violation of personal conduct which he has never violated. It is not substance abuse. There is a difference. I believe the first offense is a fine.

Hawkins is different type of player. This guy is 6'2 with 4.4 speed.

He might not do anything but Like I said he is not expensive and is just another gamble, if you hit jackpot great if not who cares, you move on to the next guy with potential.

They are much different, but I think Hawkins could be the top scoring fantasy WR in Cleveland. He's going to rack up catches with Gordon gone and has plenty of juice in his legs unlike Austin. I'm keeping my eye on this Johnson guy though.

I'm saying it's two different things. They can't/won't punish Gordon for the DWI until after a judge does. He had a .08 and the limit is .07. Take in the fact he already did a few weeks at a rehab facility and it's a good chance it gets dismissed anyway. A DWI is a violation of personal conduct which he has never violated. It is not substance abuse. There is a difference. I believe the first offense is a fine.

Barely being drunk and being wasted as long as it's over the legal limit are both still illegal. I guess time will tell and we will see. You are correct that he hasn't been legally punished for the DWI yet.

Is there any evidence that shows that substance abuse punishments aren't related personal conduct cases? If Ray Rice failed 3 drug tests before he "likely" popped his girl in the face and knocked her out is he still suspended for 2 games?

Regardless, I've said many times in this thread, I can very well be wrong, but I always bet on myself. In the meantime you guys get out there and start pumping up Charles Johnson's ADP please.