Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amcsoldier

Anthony Ranaudo 2014 Outlook

30 posts in this topic

Called up, starting in Boston against NYY. http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.htm?id=11444

From the minor-league thread: At one point was talked about as the #1 overall pitcher in the draft before the injury bug bit him in college. Stuff is excellent but (as usual) control is in development. Stayed healthy for a while now, made some mechanical adjustments about a month or two ago and saw positive results. Given the paucity of pitching (especially with this kind of upside) in leagues of any respectable depth at this point in the season, I'd say he's a textbook spec add for sure.

i'm seeing a lack of Ks in minors resume, is his stuff not that overpowering/dominant?

92-94 on the FB. Curve is plus. Minor league resume is spotty due to a spate of injuries that tends to retard development. Sturdy frame and good health recently. Progress on the changeup and control will determine his overall course. Low SP2/ high SP3 ceiling?

i'm seeing a lack of Ks in minors resume, is his stuff not that overpowering/dominant?

Huh? He's averaged 8k/9ip in 424 career minor league innings.

One thing I'm weary of watching his first start, he has been leaving most of his pitches up. Both his fastball and curveball. He keeps leaving his fastball in the middle of the zone and up he's going to get hit hard.

One thing I'm weary of watching his first start, he has been leaving most of his pitches up. Both his fastball and curveball. He keeps leaving his fastball in the middle of the zone and up he's going to get hit hard.

And the pitches that have gotten hit hard tonight for the runs scored have been up.

this season at AAA I see 7.47 K/9.

I see the 5th highest K% in the International league among qualifying pitchers...and 3 of the 4 guys ahead of him are at least a year older..

(Though 11th if you widen it to Min of 70 IP, but still everyone but 2 of them are at least a year older)

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, August 3, 2014 - No Reason · Report post

Really? Watching his first start made you tired? You should take a nap.

Speaking of tiresome...

Speaking of tiresome...

Aww come on. That was pretty funny in a juvenile sort of way. My 7 year old nephew is still laughing.

The funny part is that most 7 year olds know the difference between "weary" and "wary" and how to properly use them in a sentence.

Well, mine does at least.

They probably also know that "7-year-olds" should be hyphenated.

They probably also know that "7-year-olds" should be hyphenated.

If you want to get technical, it should actually be 7-year-olds.

Take another look at the post you quoted, my feline friend

Take another look at the post you quoted, my feline friend

Yeah nice edit. Well timed.

"Well-timed" is also hyphenated.

Why don't you two just get a room and keep the focus on Ranaudo rather than hyphens...

Red Sox manager John Farrell said on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM on Tuesday that Anthony Ranaudo will be called up from Triple-A Pawtucket to start Wednesday against the Reds.

The Red Sox will skip Brandon Workman's turn in the starting rotation. Ranaudo allowed two runs in six innings against the Yankees in his major league debut back on August 1 and will be worth using in AL-only leagues.

Wonder if there's any chance he sticks in the rotation?...and if so, how many innings or starts he has left this season......?

His stuff is not going to play very well at the MLB level. He throws 91-93 with a little bit of two seam action. But he lives up in the zone with it. He has a decent curveball that he can throw for strikes at times. But his change is non-existent, functioning as an occasional get me over pitch. Based on what I see from him right now, I see a back of the rotation arm at best. I think his future may be in the 'pen.