Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backdoor Slider

2014 Post-Trade Deadline Fantasy Analysis

48 posts in this topic

A lot of analysis of the trades for teams in the Rumors Thread, but with so many trades I thought it would be good to discuss fantasy winners and losers. A few-

David Price- Winner(?). Better team, easier schedule, better parks to pitch in.

Emilio Bonifacio- Loser. Went from leading off and playing everyday to potentially splitting time with BJ Upton (or so it sounds).

Cespedes- Moves to a better hitter's park, but his splits are much better at home than on the road. And he leaves the team that leads the majors in runs. Slight downgrade, maybe a push.

Lester- Winner. Great park. Great team.

Asdrubal- Slight loss? Thinking he may go to the back end of an NL lineup. Not loving the move.

Thoughts on these, or others?

1 person likes this

Tavares is the obvious one. But is he good enough (this year) to take advantage?

1 person likes this

Loser? Mookie Betts. Gonna be stuck in AAA and might need a trade to see a full time gig in the major leagues.

4 people like this

Khris Davis - loses playing time to Gerardo Parra.

Oscar Taveras - OF spot wide open for him now.

Javier Baez - With Bonifacio gone, 2B is wide open, they can move Alcantara to full time CF.

Francisco Lindor - Not sure if he will get the call soon, but should get a chance in September. He's speed at the SS position with good on base skills.

Betts - OF seems even more crowded right now, and Middlebrooks is going to play 3B, probably not worth the stash in mixed leagues.

All closer stashes - Giles/Quack/Fields/Tazawa etc. No closers were traded, they all lose.

All current closers - guys like Benoit and Qualls are still closing.

1 person likes this

Jake Marisnick - WINNER.

went from the minors in Miami blocked by Stanton/Yelich/Ozuno to starting in Houston.

Nick Franklin - WINNER?

the new starting SS in Tampa Bay?

With Austin Jackson moving to the Mariners.

Who plays CF for the Tigers?

Does Rajai Davis get a bump up in playing time?

A lot of analysis of the trades for teams in the Rumors Thread, but with so many trades I thought it would be good to discuss fantasy winners and losers. A few-

Cespedes- Moves to a better hitter's park, but his splits are much better at home than on the road. And he leaves the team that leads the majors in runs. Slight downgrade, maybe a push.

I think Cespedes' batting average may rise some since there is way less foul ball territory at Fenway to fly out in. Also tons of doubles off the Green Monster and lazy fly balls to left in Oakland will he homers over same in Boston. He'll be a one-two tandem with Big Papi with Napoli or Craig having his back probably so still has a good line-up around him. And if home splits are better? Well he has a new home park that should be more hitter friendly.

Also the "Red Sox way' hitting wise is plate discipline and working counts. Could help Cespedes to embrace that approach more.

Agree with Farm_Director above that Rajai Davis benefits from Jackson leaving. And if JD Martinez has a slump -- and all players do -- he won't have to be worried about playing time being taken away by Rajai.

Also Rajai as a regular player now has more value cause a part time speed guys are a pain to own. You want a full time guy in that role on a fantasy team.

1 person likes this

last I read the Tigers were calling up Ezequiel Carrera. he has a ton of speed in the minors.

http://www.thebaseba...zequiel-Carrera

but I don't know how often he will play.

EDIT: ^ not even in yahoo, even though he played for 2 teams last season.

Ezequiel Carrera has been called up to play some central

Jake Marisnick - WINNER.

went from the minors in Miami blocked by Stanton/Yelich/Ozuno to starting in Houston.

Nick Franklin - WINNER?

the new starting SS in Tampa Bay?

Franklin was already optioned to AAA, I haven't heard anything on if he will be starting anytime soon but I'd hope so.

Can someone comparatively explain how much larger of a "market" Detroit is from Cleveland? I'm being completely serious. How does Detroit sign big name guys like: Miggy, Verlander, Fielder, V-Mart, and now Price, when the best the Indians can put out there is Mike Brantley (and he's not even getting paid?) This "small market" excuse bull $% is nonsense.

I guess I'm just raging because the Indians now have to face arguably the best rotation in baseball.

Can someone comparatively explain how much larger of a "market" Detroit is from Cleveland? I'm being completely serious. How does Detroit sign big name guys like: Miggy, Verlander, Fielder, V-Mart, and now Price, when the best the Indians can put out there is Mike Brantley (and he's not even getting paid?) This "small market" excuse bull $% is nonsense.

I guess I'm just raging because the Indians now have to face arguably the best rotation in baseball.

I can't, but this guy can!

http://www.businessinsider.com/mlb-chart-market-size-influences-payroll-in-baseball-2011-8

I think Cespedes' batting average may rise some since there is way less foul ball territory at Fenway to fly out in. Also tons of doubles off the Green Monster and lazy fly balls to left in Oakland will he homers over same in Boston. He'll be a one-two tandem with Big Papi with Napoli or Craig having his back probably so still has a good line-up around him. And if home splits are better? Well he has a new home park that should be more hitter friendly.

Also the "Red Sox way' hitting wise is plate discipline and working counts. Could help Cespedes to embrace that approach more.

Agree with Farm_Director above that Rajai Davis benefits from Jackson leaving. And if JD Martinez has a slump -- and all players do -- he won't have to be worried about playing time being taken away by Rajai.

Also Rajai as a regular player now has more value cause a part time speed guys are a pain to own. You want a full time guy in that role on a fantasy team.

My thoughts exactly! With Mr. Davis.

Indians can't sell tickets. Only team with lower attendance is TB. It's been this way, basically, since the Browns came back.

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, August 1, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

bosox got worse

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, August 1, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

cubs improved dubrount gonna be like arrieta fuldman etc. they can sell high like a mofo THE REaL ~2017~ champz!!! Sports illstratud curd dat Stros org LoL from their pick to Appel bein a bad apple lmfao

Indians can't sell tickets. Only team with lower attendance is TB. It's been this way, basically, since the Browns came back.

The Browns came back? Must have missed that season.

Oh you mean the Browns 2.0 as in a football team period.

I always thought Cleveland was also a good baseball town.

Espinosa - stock down with Asdrupal in the mix

Unsure how much value he had anyway.

1 person likes this

Nope, not so much. When the current ballpark opened in 1994, everyone wanted to go because it was new and nice. The Browns left the next year. The Indians spent a ton of money on payroll in the 90s because they sold out 455 straight games.

It's a great sports town when the teams are winning. When the teams are all lousy, the Browns still sell tickets.

Nope, not so much. When the current ballpark opened in 1994, everyone wanted to go because it was new and nice. The Browns left the next year. The Indians spent a ton of money on payroll in the 90s because they sold out 455 straight games.

It's a great sports town when the teams are winning. When the teams are all lousy, the Browns still sell tickets.

My guess is the Cavs might sell some tickets too, hah.

So does Lindor come up early? If so he and his fantasy owner-stashers benefit from Asdrubal trade.

Fantasy winners: Cespedes, Lester, Franklin, Price, Cosart, Lackey

My guess is the Cavs might sell some tickets too, hah.

So does Lindor come up early? If so he and his fantasy owner-stashers benefit from Asdrubal trade.

They'll have to DFA Raburn or someone. Lindor still isn't on the 40 man. He just got to AAA, and it would really surprise me if he came up before rosters expand. The Indians are almost always slow to move guys through the minors.

Cavs will have no problems, haha.

Indians would sell tickets too. The common complaint is, no one is going to pay to go watch that team play, as long as they act as if they're content to just "be in the mix" for the division in the summer. If Dolan spent some money, he'd get more fans in the seats. Hell, the tickets they do sell, they cut the price on. Dollar hot dog nights with $10 bleacher seats are popular...

Detroit owner is also more committed to spending what it takes to win

Pretty much. Illitch has been suffering through cancer the last few years, and wants to see the Tigers win the World Series before he goes.

I think that Cespedes is potentially a massive winner, in terms of fantasy value. Fenway could give him a substantial boost in average, with a lot of fly outs turning into doubles and cheap HR (as was already mentioned by someone else).

I'm really excited to see Marisnick play full-time in Houston. He's a guy I've been eyeing all year, and hoping to get AB in Miami. It's good to see him traded into a full-time role to see if he's as good as I think he could be.

The guy I'm uncertain of is Austin Jackson. I can't decide how I think he's affected by moving to Seattle, if at all. He'll presumably lead-off still and play CF every day, but I'm curious how the park, division, and lineup change suits him.