Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

octapuss

2014 August Closer Thread

897 posts in this topic

No closers were traded yesterday so there goes the stashes.

Giles, Fields, Quack, Tazawa all stayed on the same team. I wonder what is next on the closer front.

It looks like we will have to wait for a change or an injury. Maybe the wavier trade deadline. I thought there would be more movement yesterday.

I wish Cody Allen would have went somewhere. He's getting zero save opportunities lately. It's like Soria all over again.

Ususally by this point in the season a lot of closer situations have stabilized. I'd expect some change, but not a ton necessarily.

Giles is still worth the roster spot in a lot of leagues... Paps would clear waivers, and a team like DET, if their pen doesn't stabilize, could come calling.

Only way i see Papelbon dealt is if a playoff team has their closer get hurt.

I'm the only one but I expect Paps to get claimed by the Dodgers...or maybe even the Giants. They can absorb his salary with no issues at all. I'm holding Giles until Paps goes through waivers.

Lindstrom stashers praying Petricka is finally going to be wild

so far 2 infield hits, he definitely hasn't looked bad yet.. but hopefully if he blows it, that's all Ventura will remember.

Lindstrom will probably getting the job back regardless since he has the experience on the job.

Lindstrom will probably getting the job back regardless since he has the experience on the job.

I believe so and have been very vocal on that count, but it would not have been a slam dunk if Petricka had continued dominating

Disagree. And I say that having stashed Lindstrom in a couple of leagues. Petricka is going to have to lose the job first, IMO.

1 person likes this

Is Holland getting rest today?

28 pitches Wed, 14 yesterday... He's a workhorse though so I'm still expecting him

Disagree. And I say that having stashed Lindstrom in a couple of leagues. Petricka is going to have to lose the job first, IMO.

It was'nt his job till Putnam got hurt and they were sharing the job and it will be the same when Lindstrom gets back since he had the job to begin with and Ventura is an old school player who believes you do not loose your job to injury. It will be shared but with the lion share going to Lindstrom and Petricka getting the days off and Ventura can use Petricka in other spots which would be better for the pen.

Holland indeed 3rd day in a row, another fairly efficient outing (16 pitches) but surely unavailable Saturday

KC probably isn't going to have a late lead against Lester tomorrow anyway - good day to rest.

It was'nt his job till Putnam got hurt and they were sharing the job and it will be the same when Lindstrom gets back since he had the job to begin with and Ventura is an old school player who believes you do not loose your job to injury. It will be shared but with the lion share going to Lindstrom and Petricka getting the days off and Ventura can use Petricka in other spots which would be better for the pen.

Wow you speak as if this is fact. Unless you are Ventura himself, it is not, so please do not act like it is until Ventura makes a statement and/or we see it become fact on the field.

Yes, Lindstrom lost the role due to injury, but it's not like he's having some incredible season that he necessarily has to get the role back. He was out for a long time. I'd be pretty surprised if Ventura simply handed it back to him. Petricka has been very good for several weeks....pretty much since he was named full time closer. I think he's reached safe ground and will need to do something to lose the role, myself.

See how that works?

When is the deadline for waiver trade?

Waiver transactions can be made until the end of the Regular season although no player claimed/dealt after Aug 31 can be used on post season rosters. This article does a pretty good job of explaining:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2145161-everything-mlb-fans-need-to-know-about-the-mlb-waiver-trade-deadline