Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taxman

Tim Wright 2014 Season Outlook

257 posts in this topic

The Bucs are "tinkering with the idea" of using second-year TE Tim Wright at slot receiver.

"Tim can play tight end, but he can also play in the slot," OC Jeff Tedford said. "He can do a lot of things as a receiver and he’s done a nice job in the slot. That one’s still up in the air." Wright played receiver at Rutgers and posted an impressive 54-571-5 line as a rookie. At 6'4/220, he'd give Josh McCown yet another big target. None of the receivers behind Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans have emerged for No. 3 duties. Aug 5 - 1:30 PM

Source: Tampa Tribune

The 2nd coming of Marques Colston and tight end eligibility? Wright quietly had a nice year in 2013.

Wright was sort of Schiano's pet. He followed him from Rutgers to the pros. He was originally listed as a WR and then switched during preseason to TE (number and everything). It will be interesting to see what the fantasy sites do with him if he does a full position change.

He's too crappy of a blocker to be a TE, too slow to be an outside WR, but damn he looked good at times last year. Kind of just a big dude with some athleticism that is hard for guys to guard. I had him on a few of my teams last year.

His main competition for the WR3 job would probably be Louis Murphy. Murphy had a nice 40 time, but he's sort of a journeyman at this point. I would think putting Jackson, Evans and Wright out there would create a mismatch on height alone somewhere on the field.

1 person likes this

Brings back memories from last year. I stashed this guy for awhile last year, I think even started him several times. He did flash some potential

Since fantasy football is on the books for this season, I can't see a change in his TE eligibility. I think that would remain throughout the year. He might add WR eligibility, but I can't see a scenario where somebody really wants to play him as a WR. Certainly makes for interesting TE scenario though.

I think that's what is intriguing. If he plays WR but is TE eligible he becomes much more valuable.

1 person likes this

Since fantasy football is on the books for this season, I can't see a change in his TE eligibility. I think that would remain throughout the year. He might add WR eligibility, but I can't see a scenario where somebody really wants to play him as a WR. Certainly makes for interesting TE scenario though.

I think when he switched last year he had the WR/TE designation in ESPN leagues. I don't recall on yahoo.

remember when joe webb was a WR and could start at QB.

Yes, I have the best CSB about that...just haven't shared it yet...and it involved Jon Kitna. I'll never forget that year was..Kitmas.

2 people like this

If they are truly going to use him as a slot wr then he becomes one of the best te sleepers possible. It's a possible development worth following closely.

Wright at slot receiver is another development that makes it difficult to project receiving production on this team. Add 2 talented rookies, Vincent Jackson and a skilled group of RBs and there are a lot of potential aerial weapons for a team that figures to be a run first offense. It's hard to see significant receiving production for any of them apart from Jackson, but it may be an interesting offense to watch.

Yeah, seriously guys. Vincent Jackson is going to be fed, and we know that when Brandon Marshall was double-covered, McCown consistently threw at Alshon Jeffery who was facing single coverage accordingly. You also can't forget about the Bucs early-2nd (2.06) draft pick Austin Seferian-Jenkins:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/austin-seferian-jenkins?id=2543683

Who is another 6'6" building block.

Now we're supposed to believe that Tim Wright will be able to produce consistently?

Nope.

Too many mouths to feed. Probably worth a flyer as a last round pick.

Traded to the Patriots. Will likely fill the Aaron Hernadez role (In shotgun! ha ha)

Just traded to the Pats. You have to think he fills the Hernandez "move-TE" roll. He'll be behind though and will have to learn the play book quick.

Still a low-end TE2 IMO.

This is such a Bill trade. Tim Wright is just a Belichikian type of prospect.

Hmm... If this was done at least 2 weeks ago he'd be a huge sleeper. I still think he might have value this season

Still a low-end TE2 IMO.

This is such a Bill trade. Tim Wright is just a Belichikian type of prospect.

Tim Wright was Greg Schiano's pet, and Schiano and Belichick get along. Wright probably has been on Belichick's radar since Schiano left.

He seemed like he was prime for a breakout at any moment the second half of last year. Pick him up if he is available. He could be nothing; or he could be the new Hernandez. NOT saying he will be a top 4 TE in fantasy (lke Hernandez), but with questions outside of the top 5-6 TE, it's all a crapshoot.

This guy could be the waiver wire pickup of the year; or he could be Sudfeld.

You hear he's not a good blocker but a good move tight end and you have an idea what he's going to be used for. I had him for a few spot starts last season. I think I recall a RB flipping him a TD pass against Seattle last season. Good hands lol

The fact of the matter is, Belichick loves moveable chess pieces. Wright can start in the inline TE position, then motion out wide. Or Bill can start with trips left and motion Vereen out wide for a one on one with a LB or S.

It will take some time, but especially for the second half of the season (after Wright learns the playbook) this will be a matchup nightmare for any defense when you have to watch for so many guys that can move around plus Gronk and Edeleman.

What are defenses going to do when they have Dobson out wide, Tim Wright in one slot, Amendola in one slot, Gronk as the TE, Vereen out wide, and Steven Ridley/James White/Jonas Gray in backfield? This won't happen often, but it is going to at least mess with defenders heads out there trying to figure out assignments.

For the short term, Wright can easily play the slot position. However, this may be a move that doesn't show it's true value until next season.

Wright may not do a damn thing. But I want him (on got him) on my roster and will hold him for 3-5 weeks to see what happens.

Definitely worth a flier now simply because of the way the Patriots scheme their offense and dude has Tom Brady throwing to him.