Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sya

Kevin Durant 2014-2015 Season Outlook

I lost respect for KD for quitting on team USA knowing that he is their face and leader. So reports by reputable sources are he quit because Nike was sponsoring team usa and he was about to move to UA for a 300+ million dollar deal. Some are comparing this to Love's decision not to join 2 weeks ago but these are 2 completely different scenarios.

Love was withheld from the competition because it was no secret that a trade was already agreed upon between Cleveland and the Wolves. That's why Bennett who shares the same agent with Love was also asked not to participate in a Pro Am game. Love or any players in that deal couldn't afford any type of injuries or else the deal will break down because it was only a handshake deal.

Durant on the other hand is quitting supposedly because of the new deal with UA. So what if he decides to play for USA (represented by Nike) for 2 weeks? Even if say he postpones signing with UA, and gets injured in action, he still would have gotten that deal from UA because he would've been the face of their company. Giving that BS that he is quitting because he is tired and exhausted, yeah right. Before USA started its campaign, he said he is not second thinking joining team USA because he loves to play ball even during the offseason, so why not play for USA instead of other events, something like that.

This is good for KD's fantasy value because he gets rest and no risk of injury, but this is just a classless act from the league MVP nonetheless. He knows he was being groomed to be the face of team USA, and now he is quitting on them in the middle of the final selection process, after they cut off 3 guys already.

Give me $10 million dollars and I will do almost anything that person asks me. $300 million? Jeez. That is too much money to not listen to that company. I will be stubborn and not budge on my view here. If my grandkid's grandkids are set for life because of Under Armour, then I will do anything and everything to make them completely happy.

As for fantasy, if you have the #1 pick, congrats, you get a monster!

I realize he is doing this for UA, but come on, to do this when you have clearly committed to the team and back out now when Coach K and the USA Staff has pretty much narrowed down their list and made a gameplan already with Durant being the focal point?

Royce Young frm ESPN says KD has earned the right to say no to USA. But they don't get it. It's not that he said no to USA, it's WHEN HE SAID NO. If he had withdrawn his name from the list before the whole process started, that would have been ok.

And you also have to consider these things:

- would Nike have gained more exposure with KD playing for USA- yes. But Nike already owns the biggest market share for sports apparel, do you think a 2 week appearance from KD wearing the Nike sponsored uniform/apparel of team USA would have a major impact??

- Who cares about UnderArmour? Of course KD does now that they are offering him that gazillion contract. But he could have played with USA, sign that contract on September, and put UA billboards all over the country or the world with KD as its face.

- D.Rose is one of Adidas' biggest endorsers, guess what, he is still playing for USA!

Here's the link

http://www.sheridanh...-from-team-usa/

And it's not only Sheridan who has come up with this theory, I fully believe it is true as I've seen at least 5 experts write / tweet this

Nothing in that link indicates that he's sitting because U/A specifically asked him not to play nor has he made a final decision (I think he's going to sign with U/A). Nor does it seem to link to your theory that it's sponsor oriented. Do you have something else or is this your theory which would then make it baseless speculation.....

no links, but search for it. it's almost common knowledge in industry experts. it's on twitter etc.

withdrawing because he is tired? 3 weeks ago this guy went on record saying why wouldn't he play for usa because he still plays ball every summer in pro am etc. now a sudden change of heart

Durants outlook for the 2014-15 season looks pretty good.

no links, but search for it. it's almost common knowledge in industry experts. it's on twitter etc.

withdrawing because he is tired? 3 weeks ago this guy went on record saying why wouldn't he play for usa because he still plays ball every summer in pro am etc. now a sudden change of heart

If it's common knowledge then it shouldn't be hard to find someone reputable that's reporting it. Look, I'm not saying it's not the reason. It's possible, but there are also a whole host of other possibilities exist as well. Perhaps he's taking PG's injury hard and has had 2nd thoughts about the additional risk. Maybe he has personal issues yet to come to light. Or possibly, he's just really worn out from basically doing nothing but play basketball for 4 years straight and knows that this may be a make or break year for him in OKC and wants to give them everything he's got (he did look like he tired a bit last year). I don't know, however, all I asked for was a link to the story which you've been unable to provide. Maybe someone reputable will run with the story by tomorrow. Maybe not, but you're assuming a lot about these "rumors" right this second.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't hold him up to a critical eye, b/c I think he should. Bowing out so late in the process is terrible precedent and really puts the team in a bind. He had all summer to come to this conclusion, so I do think it's disappointing, but let's at least ensure we're criticizing him for the real story.....What if he's having marital problems? Would you be so quick to criticize then?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/07/kevin-durant-withdraws-from-team-usa-will-not-play-at-world-cup-in-spain/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

another link but writer obviously saying it is speculation among them experts. he made it clear to colangelo that the george injury isn't the reason. im not buying that he is tired exhausted, because just weeks ago he was saying he was so thrilled to be competing again because he loves to play ball anytime of the year. last week he was still looking forward to be the leader of the team. then 3 days ago the ua 300 million dollar deal came out, now this is next. while not confirmed, it connects the dots.

kd knew that they lacked a pf, and he slated to get majority of the pf minutes. why withdraw now and leave coach k and company scrambling?

but you're right, i am still giving kd a benefit of a doubt, but until he can come up with a better reason than i'm tired, then i will believe this speculation. if you are tired, then he shouldn't have said all the things he was saying, and not even join the team from the get go

whatever the reason, sketchy decision to bail out now; something i cannot respect in a person as valuable as he is to the team.

but ya, awesome outlook for 2014-2015!

Who really gives a cares?

Wouldn't stop me picking him at #1 in fantasy.

You ever woke up the next morning and just said, "Man eff this crap!"? That's probably how he feels. Team USA should be fine without Durant, if not it says more about the construction of the team than Durant.

With that said, I rather see Durant rest in the off season rather than playing anyways. I'm starting to think most of these players realize this. It's a greater accomplishment to win for your team than to help Team USA win.

Bad timing. I agree it could be many reasons.

Now start Drummond at centre and AD at Pf.

Pound the paint. Sick of the 'small ball' talk for fiba. Anthony Davis is so versatile. Most euro teams have a monster at C. Why have AD banging when he can be helping? Drummond will chew them all up. Especially if they play a zone defence.

I have the #1 pick in our league here in he australia. Happy Durant is resting. Team USA has so much firepower. Also it's not the Olympics.

Team select would win if they played together.

If nike sponsors the Olympic team he will play. Nike has been good to him. No need to crap on them.

International teams are smart and can shoot. You cannot play zone against them. It'll be like playing zone against the Spurs, you'll get killed. I don't know if Team USA can beat Spain as they have both Gasols + Ibaka. Their guards are all NBA players as well, including Rubio.

There are many great international teams with great players. Zone will only be used in small patches to force the 3 ball and get running.

I'm still taking Drummond, Cousins and AD as a trio over Spain. Throw in Curry, harden, rose. No comparison.

Well Ill give my proj for KD. Number 1 fantasy player again

Although I know many are let down by him bailing on USAB. It will no doubt help him reach his max potential this year. I see similar numbers to last year although PPG and APG may dip slightly with Westbrook back and healthy chucking up his shots.

31.1PPG, 7.2RPG 4.4APG 1.4SPG .7BPG 50%FG 87FT%

Who are good 2nd and 3rd rounders to compliment KD?

anyone. KD isn't bad in any category except turnovers. his assists are super high for a sf, same with his rebounds. he has ok steals, ok blks for the position, crazy ft%, points, 3s - everything. even Kawhi is a good fit with KD because KD can offset Kawhis low points, and Kawhi is a nice balance to KD's high turnovers (i mention kawhi becuase he doesnt seem to be a great 2nd round building block for many 1st round picks, other than AD or Melo for a punt assist build)