Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor L

RIP Robin Williams

Wow. This is a major shocker.

http://www.nbcnews.c...dead-63-n178176

Comedian Robin Williams died Monday morning in his residence in Tiburon, California, according to his wife and publicist.

Williams, 63, was found in the home he shared with his wife shortly before noon (3 p.m. ET), the Marin County Sheriff's Office said. The sheriff's Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made, according to a press release.

"This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings," his wife, Susan Schneider, said in a statement. "I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."

The comedian's publicist said he had been battling "severe depression of late."

"This is a tragic and sudden loss," Mara Buxbaum said in a statement. "The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."

As a kid who grew up in the 90s, words can't describe how much laughter he brought to my childhood. So sad. RIP Robin Williams.

One of my favorite actors. He always had a twinkle in his eye, always danced on the edge of madness, and always made you feel at home when you went on a journey with him. From Good Morning, Vietnam to Dead Poets Society to Good Will Hunting to Aladdin to every other movie he made his own---thank you, Robin Williams, for the many thoughts and laughs.

Jumangi and Mrs. Doubtfire were 2 of my favorites of his movies that I've seen.

People will remember his movies, but his stand-up comedy was also pretty damn good.

Robin Williams: Live on Broadway (2002) is the funniest stand-up show i have ever seen. He puts a comedic twist on every subject you can think of and it was an hour and forty minutes of gut wrenching laughter. At one point, i probably had just over half his lines perfectly memorized...

As a kid who grew up in the 90s, words can't describe how much laughter he brought to my childhood. So sad. RIP Robin Williams.

Same here. I just re-watched Hook last week and it's still great. Jumanji, Jack, Mrs. Doubtfire, Flubber, Patch Adams, Aladdin, I saw everyone of those in theaters growing up. He was such a good person too, this loss hurts.

RIP Robin. He obviously was a big part of most people's childhoods who grew up in the 90s with all of his hit comedies, but he also made a number of more serious films that were great. Moscow on the Hudson, World According to Garp, Awakenings, and The Fisher King are all really solid movies where he showed his depth as an actor. Truly a talented entertainer and, by all accounts, a very nice guy.

RIP Robin. He obviously was a big part of most people's childhoods who grew up in the 90s with all of his hit comedies, but he also made a number of more serious films that were great. Moscow on the Hudson, World According to Garp, Awakenings, and The Fisher King are all really solid movies where he showed his depth as an actor. Truly a talented entertainer and, by all accounts, a very nice guy.

One Hour Photo, Insomnia, Good Will Hunting were the first 3 films that popped into my head when thinking about serious roles. He really was a great one that could do it all.

The term "genius" is tossed around way too cavalierly when discussing actors or performers. Everyone that passes is referenced as a genius in some way or another and it dilutes the word. When discussing Robin Williams, this is not the case. He was indeed a genius. A force of nature. A hurricane of energy, humor, and wit. He may have been the greatest improviser in film history and was totally adept in whatever performance art he chose to practice -- stand up, television, cinema and even Broadway stage work. Absolutely accomplished in whatever he chose to put his energy to -- comedy, drama, protagonist, antagonist, leading man, supporting character, everything. But beyond that, from everyone that met, he was reportedly an absolute wonderful, kind, and generous man who went out of his way to provide people with comfort and a few laughs. There is no fitting tribute to him. This is the only one that I can come up with though.......Please rest in peace, my captain. You will be missed....Thank you.

A bad time to say this, but i must be the only person in the world that thinks Dead Poet's Society was the sappiest, cheesiest, ludicrous movie ever made. Sure, Robin had his moments in it (the highlight being those hilarious impressions of John Wayne, Marlon Brando, etc.) but the story surrounding the kids was laughably predictable. Most overrated movie ever.

A bad time to say this, but i must be the only person in the world that thinks Dead Poet's Society was the sappiest, cheesiest, ludicrous movie ever made. Sure, Robin had his moments in it (the highlight being those hilarious impressions of John Wayne, Marlon Brando, etc.) but the story surrounding the kids was laughably predictable. Most overrated movie ever.

You're right. It's a bad time to say it.....but yet it didn't stop you. Bravo.

The official police reports are that he slit his wrist then hung himself to death with a belt. That's pretty brutal.

I mean... I even love untimely jokes but there's nothing really redeemable about just ripping a movie. At least make it humorous...

And there's no way in hell Dead Poet's Society is the most overrated movie ever. It got a lot of mixed to negative reviews. You have to get way more rave reviews to be the most overrated.

Good Will Hunting, and, as uncomfortable as it might seem now, World's Greatest Dad are two of my all time favorites. (For those who aren't aware, the small indie film "World's Greatest Dad" is about William's on-screen son dying by erotic-asphyxiation). I know when I go back to watch that movie, there will be a lot of odd emotion.

Robin has to be commended for being one of the few "comedians" to make the evolution from "comedian" to "comedic actor" and then, most importantly, to "dramatic actor," successfully. I think the majority of peopel would actually be willing to agree that the wonky Williams who starred as Mork in Mork and Mindy was actually best in roles like the two previously mentioned. Very few are able to start as comedians and make it to that level of acting.

Thought police are out in full effect. Once someone dies, you can't express not liking his movies...the horror!

Robin Williams was a genius & every movie, and everything he ever did, was nothing short of perfect. Say differently and you will be publicly scorned.

Thought police are out in full effect. Once someone dies, you can't express not liking his movies...the horror!

Robin Williams was a genius & every movie, and everything he ever did, was nothing short of perfect. Say differently and you will be publicly scorned.

Would you go to a funeral and whisper in another's ear, "Ah, well, I never actually liked the guy,"? Same concept in any memorial/tribute thread. It's not about the "thought police" coming down on you---it's about common sense and decency.

There's a time and place for all things; now and here, people would like to show their respect. Please understand that.

Would you go to a funeral and whisper in another's ear, "Ah, well, I never actually liked the guy,"? Same concept in any memorial/tribute thread. It's not about the "thought police" coming down on you---it's about common sense and decency.

There's a time and place for all things; now and here, people would like to show their respect. Please understand that.

You're not comparing being here on a message board to being at a funeral amongst friends and family, are you?

You're not comparing being here on a message board to being at a funeral amongst friends and family, are you?

In loose terms, I am---but the emphasis is on the other points made. Now stop antagonizing. Thanks.