Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

owenmills

Antone Smith 2014 Season Outlook

120 posts in this topic

Anything to see here? He was running as #3 RB in the last game, ahead of Freeman(behind Jacquizz Rodgers). I don't really think Rodgers would step in to replace SJax as anything more than COP. Smith apparently popped off an 81 yard TD that was called back by penalty, and aside from that his stat line sucked but he only got a couple carries. I seem to remember last year in his limited carries he ripped off some big runs too. I agree with Rotoworld's obvious prediction that Freeman will move ahead to #2 on the depth chart but I'm keeping my eye on him, especially since I don't expect the corpse formerly known as SJax to last too long this year.

Agreed. This guy is a huge sleeper if Steven Jackson gets hurt .. I think he would definitely get goal line carries and about 12-15 touches a game. The dude has speed and broke off a few 70+ yard TDs last year.

Is it time to bump this thread? Every time this guy gets the ball, good things happen. Can't understand why he is seemingly #4 on the depth chart. I know he's a bit undersized at 5-9 192 but with the rest of their backs all being average or worse how come this guy only gets 2-4 touches a game? Bad blocker? Fragile?

Eyeing him in my deep dynasty league, although I know he needs at least 1 maybe 2 injuries to the backs in front of him to have any real relevance.

Thoughts?

I was surprised to see that he's averaged 16.6 ypc during his career. He's only had 12 carries in his career, but it's still interesting to see how many big plays he's made with the limited touches he's gotten. Who knows how much of that came in garbage time or special play situations, but still interesting.

At what point does Atlanta recognize what they have in this guy? He's 29-years-old. He only has 2-3 years left in him which will probably be his best years. They need to unleash him to give their offense a much-needed spark. Three of Atlanta's offensive linemen went down to injuries today. Not sure how serious the injuries are, but Jackson can only get what's blocked. Smith is a home run threat who can create yards. Its time.

Every single time this dude touches the ball, something good happens.

Best RB on the roster. Only give him 4 touches a game. NFL coaches for ya LOL

2 people like this

Last two seasons:

Rushing

15 rushes

264 yards

17.6 yards per carry

4 touchdowns

Receiving

5 receptions

83 yards

16.6 yards per catch

1 touchdown

Combined

20 touches

347 yards

17.4 yards per touch

5 touchdowns

What???!! Scored one every 4 times he's touched the ball.

I was high on him last year, but Mike Smith just never gets this guy the ball. Floored me that they drafted Freeman, given all their other needs and that this guy was already on the roster.

I'd love to stash him, but I can't trust his usage at all.

Mike Smith on Antone Smith: "I think this goes back to December of last year and we talked about how we had to find a role for Antone because when he touches the ball he makes plays. When he gets into the open field, he’s a guy who can make something happen.”

No s***? This was back in August. There are either loyalty clauses in NFL contracts that force coaches to make asinine personnel moves (starting Jackson over Smith)...or NFL coaches have too big of egos and play guys who are clearly less talented because they'd rather play "their guy."

Yeah why not just feature him one game and see what happens. Or at least install him in an even timeshare w/ Plod-Jax. He may not hold up well getting lots of touches but you don't know until you try, and I think they have literally never tried

Once is an accident...two is a trend...three is a pattern...what is four, five, and six?

Dude is flat-out insane.

It's amazing what he's doing with limited touches. Wish he could have done some of this at FSU.

Atlanta's coach wont give him more playing time because he can't pass block.

They won't give him more time because they are morons.

You have a guy who for more than a year now has shown that if you give him the ball more than 5 times a game that he'll break AT LEAST 1 for more than 25 yards....and you don't guarantee that he gets 10-15 touches per game? Complete lunacy.

1 person likes this

If you've been starting him, then kudos. I don't think I could ever start him given his lack of touches. You know the week you finally decide to start him he'll lay an egg.