Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Code of Hammurabi

2014/2015 Premier League Mega Discussion Thread

37 posts in this topic

You have to be impressed and excited if you are a Chelsea Fan after yesterday's game. This was a team that was probably one striker away from winning the EPL title last. They could not score goals at a significant pace if their lives depended on it. It was sickening to watch scrubs like Samuel Eto and Fernando Torres bumble their way through the season. They team scored just 71 Goals last season. Man City and Liverpool both netted over 100 goals on the season. If Chelsea scores goals anywhere near the pace they did yesterday they certainly will be the favorites in this campaign.

Chelsea will cruise the league this year. As difficult as the Premier League is, they should win the league by at least 5 pts, although i'd expect an even bigger margin.

This is the best team they have ever assembled in their entire history. It was a young side to begin with, but after the addition of Fabregas, Diego Costa and Courtois, they have the spine of a team that will play together for many years to come. BTW, how good was Fabregas on Monday, its as if he had never left the Premier League...talk about a seamless transition.

Man City has a nice squad but Chelsea beat them home and away last year...

Liverpool still can't defend and lost their best player over the summer, Man Utd just need an overhaul...too much deadwood in that lineup, not enough quality. Arsenal have been Mourinho's bitches for as long as i can remember, he has never lost to them.

Chelsea might even have a good shot at winning the Champions League. You need a bit of luck to win it, but they got to the semis with a pretty average group last year...they should be right up there again if they get a good draw. A double or even a treble isn't impossible for this team

1 person likes this

I wish I had been able to see Chelsea the other day, I heard about it, at least. They had a great transfer market and like you guys said, they look like clear favorites right now.

I could see Arsenal sneaking up into 2nd, but they need to identify a striker who can be reliable up top; they still haven't replaced RvP. I say they could finish second because I'm not feeling Man City this year. I don't see Liverpool being a factor in the end, either. I don't like their defense and I question if Sturridge/Lambert/Sterling can get them the scoring they'll need.

Everton strikes me as a team with aspirations but I don't think they have the depth to keep up with the bigger dogs this year. I like Lukaku as much as the next guy, but losing Barkley is a bug hurt.

1 person likes this

It looks as though Liverpool have added Balotelli. Interesting move. Seems like a cheap transfer considering his ability to the ball in the net. Of course his antics have been well documented through the years.

It looks as though Liverpool have added Balotelli. Interesting move. Seems like a cheap transfer considering his ability to the ball in the net. Of course his antics have been well documented through the years.

They're getting him for £16 million, after Southampton paid £12 million for Shane Long. That's a steal, IF Rogers can keep him in check. This is a massive risk/reward situation. I liken it to when the Eagles brought in TO.

If Liverpool wins the title, it'll all be worth it. That's a big IF though.....

1 person likes this

Balo had a nice run with Milan, 30 goals in 54 games. Disappeared in a lot of big games tho. Still good value when you consider how talented he is, and since he is only 24 years old.

Funnily enough, the contract they signed with him includes some behavior-related clauses, so they won't be risking any embarrassment to the club: http://www.theguardi...brendan-rodgers

Hearing some pretty strong rumors about di Maria wanting to leave Real Madrid, i'm sure Man Utd are working on signing him.

1 person likes this

Should all come down to the back for Liverpool this year. Loveren and Moreno will be a lot better than what they had last season. Agger is back as well and sakho has developed. I still dont see them competing with the Blues and City at the end though. Also, Sturridge and Balotelli are either going to love each other or hate each other. :lol: :lol:

Posted · Hidden by Timmah!, August 23, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/fantasy/soccer/premier-league/home

League ID:7530

Password:34iz2gb

Good day everyone..northern star group is rising again....

everybody are invited to join among the most popular group surround asia for last 6 seasons..

u'll meet & challenge by top manager that experienced many years in this fantasy game..

limited place only..

only the top manager(with many years experience) invited !!

League ID:7530

Password:34iz2gb

c u there!

have a nice day!

Liverpool dominating Man City thus far. Liverpool looked much improved on the back line. Im shocked

Soon as I type the above post and brutal mistake at the back by Liverpool. 1-0 City....... Some things never change

I'm not watching by judging by the online commentary, City are schooling a mistake-prone Liverpool. Sounds like a typical City performance - 'sleep-walking' through large parts of the game, and then suddenly turning it on for 10-20 minutes as all hell breaks loose.

Big statement on prime time, no less. You know you have a stacked squad when you can bring a stud like Aguero on as a substitute. Gonna be a battle of the blues for the Premier League title.

And Di Maria's signing for Man Utd is almost finalized. Great addition, easily one of the best midfielders in the world...will immediately make them a better team. I think Real Madrid will regret selling him.

1 person likes this

The Di Maria signing is now official. They have been after him for a while. He will give them better options in the middle behind the striker and Mata. He is an upgrade from Ashley Young. Man U will be better once they get used to playing 3 in the back.

Man U cant seem to do much right these days...I hope that continues B)

I can't see them playing 3 at the back. van Gaal did it at the World Cup because his best midfielder was injured. He usually likes a 4-3-3, or some variation of it. They signed Rojo recently, so they have some cover at centre-back. Their fullbacks aren't healthy at the moment.

di Maria can play either centrally or out wide if needed, so he offers a lot of flexibility. I think he plays his best when he attacks from further out; he is really good at setting up an attack either by taking on defenders and looking for a pass or by waiting for the ball and crossing. He also runs more than anyone on the field (if you've ever wondered why he is so skinny... ) and wins the ball off the opposing defenders.

I would guess the lineup would have a back 4 of jones/rojo with shaw and some other fullback (rafael?), and di Maria in midfield with Herrera and somebody else (probably Carrick). Mata further up the field, close to Rooney and rvp doing his thing in and around the penalty box. its a decent lineup if everyone is playing

di Maria's record is amazing, btw. The guy was an assist machine at Real Madrid (22!!!! last year):

BvqH--kCUAAFP_X.jpg

To be honest, he would be wasted as a wing back, if Man U keeps playing with three back there. Hopefully, Van Gaal reverts back to a traditional 4 man def and relieve him of the duties of a wing back.

Potential devastating Diego Costa news for Chelsea fans like me. Welp....

Diego Costa starts!! Mourinho is the Belichick of the Premier League. Never trust any injury news from Chelsea. Should be a fun game.

Stoke coming up with heroic performance at City, leading 0-1 with less than 10 minutes to go!

1 person likes this

Stoke hold on for the win. Huge result. Bit of controversy at the end with Yaya getting a yellow on what looked like a penalty, but Stoke deserved their win. This is why the Premier League is the best league in the world, anyone can beat anyone...never any easy games.

1 person likes this

Yeah, hamstring injury, my a**...dude needed just 36 seconds to score. Great pass by the 'Chris Paul' of the Premier League, Fabregas.

makes me feel like an idiot for dropping him from my fantasy team.

aaaaaaaand... now its' 2-0. In 3 minutes. Just give them the trophy already.

1 person likes this

Fernando Torres needed over 20 games to score his first 4 goals.

Diego Costa has scored 4 goals in his first 3 games. Beast. He'll get 30+ goals easily.

Might be the game of the season, really fun to watch albeit a little frustrating to see such poor defending at times. Mourinho won't be happy with that, but you have to admire Chelsea's offensive firepower. City has equally good offensive talent but their team-play, movement and passing isn't quite as good as Chelsea.

1 person likes this

What a game. Was a here in Montreal watching with a bunch of Everton fans. Chelsea won't like the defensive effort but they look unstoppable offensively. What a 180 from last years goal scoring woes. I can't remember the last time I've seen that type of goal scoring display against a team as quality at the back as Everton are. Wow!!

If Diego Costa's hamstring holds up, Chelsea will have the league wrapped up before the winter break.

The common theme in all these wins is how they raise their level of play in the 2nd half. At best, they are unstoppable...at worst, in complete control. A guy like Hazard alone can do so much damage against tired defenders in the last 25 minutes.

They play Man City on the road next week, a must win game for City after they dropped points yet again today.

1 person likes this

And Liverpool go down 0-1 to Villa.

Chelsea already leading City, Liverpool, Arsenal & Man Utd by 5, 6 and 7 pts respectively. Knowing that others are bound to drop points at some stage (just how it goes in the Premier League) it's really hard to imagine them losing this lead.

1 person likes this

Shocking to see Lampard come on to score that goal against my blues. He refusal to celebrate on the pitch is one of the all time moments of class in the epl's history. You can't script this kind of stuff.

1 person likes this

Ironically it was the kind of goal that Lampard has scored a hundred times in his career for Chelsea. Getting on the end of a pass after a perfectly timed 'ghost' run into the box. You would think they would have been prepared for something like that after going up against him in practice all these years.

That was a terrific game though, only somewhat worsened by the yellow card getting Zabaleta sent off but we still had a great finish to the game. i guess that's another advantage of having Costa on your team; the guy always provokes others into doing stupid things.

btw, draftkings has EPL games now!!

1 person likes this