Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anthony1

Will the Josh Gordon thing "ruin" your league ?

I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole Josh Gordon thing right now. On the one hand, I'm as giddy as a 6th grade girl getting to meet Justin Beiber. (I was able to add Gordon in one of my leagues).

On the other hand, this thing is kinda making me a bit sick to my stomach, because it seems so unfair to the rest of the league, and in my other league the team that loses their game, and scores the least amount of points will have No.1 waiver wire priority and could have Gordon handed to them on a silver platter.

It just seems like either way this Gordon thing is a bit of a disaster for Fantasy Football. If you have him on your team, and you end up winning the championship, should your win come with an asterix ?

Will the prize money you get, be like blood money ?

And, if you didn't luck out on Gordon, and he ends up on some other team in your league, and that team runs away with the championship, will you consider the league "fixed" basically ? I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a situation even remotely similar to this.

It would be like that year that Barry Sanders retried, midway through September he announces he's not going to be retired anymore, and if you happened to have been near your computer (actually more like a fax machine back then lol), you luckily end up getting him. We've never had a situation anything like this that I can remember.

No idea why it's a bad thing. I drafted him in the 9th in one league and never dropped him yet. My other league is a keeper and I never thought about dropping him. In my redraft my plan was to keep him until after week one, just to make sure, and add some hot waiver wire guy. If someone dropped him to add Andre Cladwell or Travis Kelce then that's their bad. The situation isn't much different than adding any waiver wire stud during the season. It's impatient owners fault he isn't owned in all leagues.

Ok, I guess I should have mentioned that in leagues where he was drafted, and the guy who drafted him held onto him, then I think that is totally legit.

I'm talking about leagues that drafted AFTER it was known that Josh Gordon supposedly woudln't be playing at all this year. If you drafted him and held onto him, then you shouldn't feel any guilt, you were there from the very beginning.

By"ruin" the league you mean make my team amazing? haha. Gordon was a keeper for me this year 17th round. I was just letting him sit on the bench all year in hopes of having him for next year, looks like i struck gold (hopefully). On a serious note though i can see what you're saying. I think it depends on who the other WRs are for the player that picks up gordon, or already and him in my case. if someone has Calvin and gordon as starters and julio is flex than i can see a complaint being made that that team is too over powered. It is an odd scenario but that is part of fantasy. I would handle it on a league to league basis, if the scenario i stated above came about i would think something would need to be done about that to make things fair. Other scenarios may not be as extreme

Am I missing something here? For now, he's suspended for the year. The NFLPA would LIKE to reverse suspensions in the new agreement, that's not something that's been guaranteed. Or is there breaking news I'm not aware of?

What's happening? Josh Gordon is still available in my league, should I add him NOW?

qzhbfg9lgfrkmkrt4l4u_bigger.jpegProFootballTalkVerified account @ProFootballTalk

I don't know what's going to ultimately happen with this drug policy thing, but it would be smart to grab Josh Gordon for your fantasy team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/06/new-nfl-drug-testing-policy-could-come-at-any-time/

What's happening? Josh Gordon is still available in my league, should I add him NOW?

NO...you should let me join your league RIGHT NOW.

NFLPA said they would like to reverse the suspension, and there have been other reports that if a new substance abuse policy is put into place soon it could be applied retroactively. Its not a definite but the reports are out there and you would be crazy not to add him if he is available. worst case scenario, things stay the same, you drop him after everything settles down and he is still on my team as a round 16 keeper for next year :), thumbs up haha

NO...you should let me join your league RIGHT NOW.

Haha I'm sorry I'm a guy from Holland who is crazy about the NFL playing in a European league. Basicly it means it's very late in the evening here and we don't get non stop information about NFL (Happy today, disappointed all the other days!)

I added him in every league i could i wont feel sorry at all if he plays this year. Thats the previous owners fault for dropping him or not beating me to him

I'm actually the Commish in one league (not the league where I got Gordon). In this particular league, we have a rule where no adds or drops are allowed until AFTER week 1. Basically the team that you drafted is the team that you are going to take into week 1, and then after that it just follows normal waiver wire priority.

The way we do the waiver wire is, the team with the worst win loss percentage is No.1 in waivers. Certainly, because 5 teams are going to be tied with the worst win loss percenage, it means that the team that scores the fewest points in week 1, is the No.1 waiver wire team.

Assuming all this Gordon stuff actually happens, then that team would be handed Gordon on a silver platter.

I've been thinking about whether or not there is another way to handle this. I started thinking that maybe we could just do a silent bid thing for Gordon. All the teams in the league could participate, and there would be no limit to the amount you could bid, but that money would go into the league pot.

Technically, every team would have an equal chance to bid a crazy amount of money to get the guy. I still don't think it would be all that fair, but I guess the guy that ends up with Gordon will have to pay through his teeth to get him, so maybe it would all even out in the end (unless that guy wins the Superbowl, and in that scenario, almost any amount of money the guy would have paid for Gordon would have been worth it)

Thats not a bad way to go about it if he is reinstated. Id wait and see what team would be in line of him though, if the first person on the waiver wire is in fact the worst team in the league than them getting gordon might not be a bad thing, would make the league more competitive.

The only issue with the waiver wire claim order being the reverse order of the league standings is that I have been in league where someone purposefully looses the first two weeks just to get the best pick ups. Last year, the guy got Julius Thomas, Zac Stacy, Keenun Allen, and Josh Gordon. He then went on to win it all due to a stacked team where the top six teams all go to playoffs. We have now switched it to an auction waiver wire league to make it more fair.

Just my two cents on reverse standings waive order type leagues. I hate them. But I do like your "silent bid" idea. Each league is different and it's up to the commish to straighten things out.

I'm actually the Commish in one league (not the league where I got Gordon). In this particular league, we have a rule where no adds or drops are allowed until AFTER week 1. Basically the team that you drafted is the team that you are going to take into week 1, and then after that it just follows normal waiver wire priority.

The way we do the waiver wire is, the team with the worst win loss percentage is No.1 in waivers. Certainly, because 5 teams are going to be tied with the worst win loss percenage, it means that the team that scores the fewest points in week 1, is the No.1 waiver wire team.

Assuming all this Gordon stuff actually happens, then that team would be handed Gordon on a silver platter.

I've been thinking about whether or not there is another way to handle this. I started thinking that maybe we could just do a silent bid thing for Gordon. All the teams in the league could participate, and there would be no limit to the amount you could bid, but that money would go into the league pot.

Technically, every team would have an equal chance to bid a crazy amount of money to get the guy. I still don't think it would be all that fair, but I guess the guy that ends up with Gordon will have to pay through his teeth to get him, so maybe it would all even out in the end (unless that guy wins the Superbowl, and in that scenario, almost any amount of money the guy would have paid for Gordon would have been worth it)

You can't just change waiver rules in the middle of the season. Tank your first game if you think he's gonna play.

The only issue with the waiver wire claim order being the reverse order of the league standings is that I have been in league where someone purposefully looses the first two weeks just to get the best pick ups. Last year, the guy got Julius Thomas, Zac Stacy, Keenun Allen, and Josh Gordon. He then went on to win it all due to a stacked team where the top six teams all go to playoffs. We have now switched it to an auction waiver wire league to make it more fair.

Just my two cents on reverse standings waive order type leagues. I hate them. But I do like your "silent bid" idea. Each league is different and it's up to the commish to straighten things out.

Why every league doesn't use blind bidding is mind boggling to me.

Switch to FAAB next year and all is solved. You are completely overreacting, he still has to be reinstated, get into game shape. He still has poor qb, he still needs to keep his nose clean and avoid injury like all other players. He's a great prospective play but far from a clincher. That said , got him for $3 FAAB and pretty happy

Nope... he was worth a late round flier just because "you never know." If someone didn't keep him then he was available for everyone to take a gamble on. The ones who did may get rewarded, they may not. When all said in done, FF is about taking risks. If you play it safe you probably won't win.

In FF, I want to win at all costs. I'm not going to feel sorry for my opponent if I blow him out. Or if I was smart enough to hold onto or pick Gordon up when they had the same opportunity to do so. I really don't get this unfair argument. Doesn't make any sense to me. Sort of absurd to me to be honest. It's a competition. I'm going to do whatever it takes to win, within the rules of course. Picking up and stashing Gordon is within the rules, so I'm going to do it if it could make my team championship caliber. I could care less about the worst placed team after Week 1. That's their problem. They could have stashed Gordon as well, but they chose not to. Caring about other teams in competition is not my focus. Winning, on the other hand, is. If you don't want a better chance of winning, drop Gordon. Or trade him to the last placed team for their kicker if news comes out that Gordon is going to play this season. But winning is my lone focus, and if stashing Gordon and demolishing the competition is what it takes, I'm going to do it every single time and twice on Sundays. You think NFL teams care when they destroy their opponent? The Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's of the world want to win at any cost. That's what makes those guys so successful and why they are future Hall of Famers and two of the best QB's ever. They never cared about their competition.

I drafted Gordon with my last pick in one draft. At that point he was too good value to not pick up incase he played. However, when he got the suspension and reports pointed towards him having no real chance of coming back - I dropped him for Jordan Matthews, a talented kid worth a stash.

Que this news and a guy in my league has picked up Gordon. Will I be disappointed if he comes back to play? Yes. Do I blame him for picking him up? No, because I've done the same thing in another league by grabbing Gordon.

I suppose whether it ruins it comes down to your view point. Last season not many people drafted Keenan Allen, but whoever did or picked him up, landed a stud. Same with Nick Foles. I don't remember anyone at the start of last season fancying Foles to become a fantasy stud. Yet, those who picked him up got a heavy scoring player. Is it unfair? Not really because almost every team in a league will make changes, and some will pay off (eg Allen and Foles), others will not. Same happens here. If Gordon comes back he's a big time steal. If he doesn't, then no one will be too bothered.

There's absolutely no reason for any team that grabs Gordon and romps to a championship to think there should an asterisk by their win. Many managers hung onto Gordon as a keeper or drafted him full well knowing they may not get to use him for even 1 game. It's the risk you take, it's part of the fantasy football game.

I wouldn't be in favor of a rule change regarding Waivers for Gordon to be put into play after the season has already begun either.

In FF, I want to win at all costs. I'm not going to feel sorry for my opponent if I blow him out. Or if I was smart enough to hold onto or pick Gordon up when they had the same opportunity to do so. I really don't get this unfair argument.

Do they really have the same opportunity if the guy who loses week 1 and scores the lowest points ends up getting him? In one of my leagues, waivers are locked till Monday. The team that scores the lowest points of the week gets Gordon. It's not the same opportunity. It's random as FUHHH..

The only way I can really justify it, is that Fantasy Football is 51 percent luck anyways, and this is how the cookie crumbles sometimes, but it sure as heck isn't fair, any way you try to spin it.

By the way, could somebody think of another situation that was anything like this ? I've never seen a potential top 10 fantasy player go from having no chance of playing to all of a sudden being right back on the field (if it happens). I really can't think of another comparable situation. I mean, sure, there have been tons of holdouts, but usually holdout guys get drafted, and then somebody is rewarded taking that gamble.

Also, I'm mostly talking about drafts that happened over Labor Day weekend, when everybody thought that Josh Gordon had zip, zilch, zero chance of playing at all this year, and I was in two of those drafts, and he went undrafted in both.

I get what you're saying, Anthony. The meat of this thing is you have people who drafted early and took the shot on Josh Gordon, then the NFL says "That's it, done for the year." So you drop him, because that's the only logical thing to do. Josh Gordon signs up to sell cars and says he's "over it" and not going to sue. Further reinforces the decision.

Drafted Labor Day weekend and took Josh Gordon? Besides being a waste of a roster spot, what was the end game there before all this drama?

People seem to be skipping the meat of the argument in order to say whether or not they're currently hailing themselves as a genius for holding onto him or scooping him off waivers now.

Is it fair to the owners that invested a pick, had the NFL say "No chance.", dropped him, and now lose him, either by standard terrible waiver systems or FAAB? As a commissioner, no. In no way shape or form. The only person who likes it is whoever gets him and the rest of the league is furious about how it played out.

"Too bad, so sad" is a fine policy but it only gets you so far and it's a great way to make people hate the season in your league. This is a 100% unique situation, and personally, in my league, I've stated, to unanimous league approval, that should something crazy happen and Gordon is reinstated, he is given back to the original owner.

Furthermore, everyone makes this case like it's so obvious to get Gordon in any league. In any standard scoring/roster ESPN league I'm in, the "worst" player on my roster I could drop is someone like Brandin Cooks. Do I want to lose Brandin Cooks for a lottery ticket that might not cash in? Not really. If this whole situation plays out and he stays suspended and someone else scoops up Cooks and he has the season I expect him to have...dumb move. You could play the other side of it and say "WELL YOU GOTTA TAKE RISKS TO WIN!" Or you could just not overreact to a piece of news that's been blown completely out of proportion because you want to believe it. The NFLPA wants all sorts of stuff it doesn't get.

They instituted a new domestic abuse policy too...did that get retroactively applied to Ray Rice? No. No it didn't.

Everyone calm down and act reasonable.

Do they really have the same opportunity if the guy who loses week 1 and scores the lowest points ends up getting him? In one of my leagues, waivers are locked till Monday. The team that scores the lowest points of the week gets Gordon. It's not the same opportunity. It's random as FUHHH..

It doesn't have to be random if you think he will play. Tank week one and he is yours. Knowing which games to lose is just as much strategy as starting the right players. It is YOUR team, you can do whatever you want with it. It is the same reasoning that if at the end of the season, tanking a game keeps a hot opponent out of the playoffs or gives you an easier playoff schedule. As I said, that is just as much strategy as anything else in fantasy football.