Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anthony1

Will the Josh Gordon thing "ruin" your league ?

I get what you're saying, Anthony. The meat of this thing is you have people who drafted early and took the shot on Josh Gordon, then the NFL says "That's it, done for the year." So you drop him, because that's the only logical thing to do. Josh Gordon signs up to sell cars and says he's "over it" and not going to sue. Further reinforces the decision.

Drafted Labor Day weekend and took Josh Gordon? Besides being a waste of a roster spot, what was the end game there before all this drama?

People seem to be skipping the meat of the argument in order to say whether or not they're currently hailing themselves as a genius for holding onto him or scooping him off waivers now.

Is it fair to the owners that invested a pick, had the NFL say "No chance.", dropped him, and now lose him, either by standard terrible waiver systems or FAAB? As a commissioner, no. In no way shape or form. The only person who likes it is whoever gets him and the rest of the league is furious about how it played out.

"Too bad, so sad" is a fine policy but it only gets you so far and it's a great way to make people hate the season in your league. This is a 100% unique situation, and personally, in my league, I've stated, to unanimous league approval, that should something crazy happen and Gordon is reinstated, he is given back to the original owner.

Furthermore, everyone makes this case like it's so obvious to get Gordon in any league. In any standard scoring/roster ESPN league I'm in, the "worst" player on my roster I could drop is someone like Brandin Cooks. Do I want to lose Brandin Cooks for a lottery ticket that might not cash in? Not really. If this whole situation plays out and he stays suspended and someone else scoops up Cooks and he has the season I expect him to have...dumb move. You could play the other side of it and say "WELL YOU GOTTA TAKE RISKS TO WIN!" Or you could just not overreact to a piece of news that's been blown completely out of proportion because you want to believe it. The NFLPA wants all sorts of stuff it doesn't get.

They instituted a new domestic abuse policy too...did that get retroactively applied to Ray Rice? No. No it didn't.

Everyone calm down and act reasonable.

Are you finished and ready to step down from your pouting soapbox?

I get what you're saying, Anthony. The meat of this thing is you have people who drafted early and took the shot on Josh Gordon, then the NFL says "That's it, done for the year." So you drop him, because that's the only logical thing to do. Josh Gordon signs up to sell cars and says he's "over it" and not going to sue. Further reinforces the decision.

Drafted Labor Day weekend and took Josh Gordon? Besides being a waste of a roster spot, what was the end game there before all this drama?

People seem to be skipping the meat of the argument in order to say whether or not they're currently hailing themselves as a genius for holding onto him or scooping him off waivers now.

Is it fair to the owners that invested a pick, had the NFL say "No chance.", dropped him, and now lose him, either by standard terrible waiver systems or FAAB? As a commissioner, no. In no way shape or form. The only person who likes it is whoever gets him and the rest of the league is furious about how it played out.

"Too bad, so sad" is a fine policy but it only gets you so far and it's a great way to make people hate the season in your league. This is a 100% unique situation, and personally, in my league, I've stated, to unanimous league approval, that should something crazy happen and Gordon is reinstated, he is given back to the original owner.

Furthermore, everyone makes this case like it's so obvious to get Gordon in any league. In any standard scoring/roster ESPN league I'm in, the "worst" player on my roster I could drop is someone like Brandin Cooks. Do I want to lose Brandin Cooks for a lottery ticket that might not cash in? Not really. If this whole situation plays out and he stays suspended and someone else scoops up Cooks and he has the season I expect him to have...dumb move. You could play the other side of it and say "WELL YOU GOTTA TAKE RISKS TO WIN!" Or you could just not overreact to a piece of news that's been blown completely out of proportion because you want to believe it. The NFLPA wants all sorts of stuff it doesn't get.

They instituted a new domestic abuse policy too...did that get retroactively applied to Ray Rice? No. No it didn't.

Are you finished and ready to step down from your pouting soapbox?

He's not exactly spouting BS. I think you need to calm down and read what he said. valid points on both sides of this argument.

Unless there is an announcement before the games start on Sunday that makes it definite that Gordon will play and his suspension will be reduced or eliminated then someone who tanks Week 1 because of the reverse order then technically they are risking missing the playoffs. Nobody has a crystal ball. I picked him up even though I think that it's less than a lot less than 50-50 at this point that everything falls into place and he dominates at WR again for even half the season.

I think you should just let it ride; you don't want to change waivers for your season because of what might happen with1 player. Good Luck Man!

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=459332

Ruin seems like a really strong word. It made it interesting that's for sure. It sucks if you did not get him. But that's how it is. Some people take risks I got him on 1 of my leagues and I'm hoping he goes in. For my team I am in need of a WR1/WR2 type of player.

CSB Alert: Spoke with a friend in his league the guy that picked him up has the potential of having Megatron and Josh Gordon together. oh the humanity. That's a scary thing.

Your the commish, so it's your league. If you have unanimous agreement from everyone in your league to do a silent bid for Gordon if he is reinstated (or until the waiver opens up), then go for it. But if anyone in your league does not want to change, then I don't think you should change your current setting. Changing the setting without full consent from everyone will then make it unfair and truly ruin the league.

In the mean time, I'll enjoy Josh Gordon sitting in my bench awaiting the news. I hope he returns because that'll shore up my WR corp.

they said the suspension wouldn't be lifted----i didn't drop him

they said he won't be able to sue them---i didn't drop

they said he couldn't play in the cfl---i didn't drop

he got a job as a car salesman---i finally drop him

now this garbage news of a change of rules? unreal. IM the one that took the gamble in drafting him and after all this bs some other tard that drafted a kicker over him will get him because i didn't read the "news" fast enough?

sorry for venting. but this is so stupid.

this is like having the best pitching in your baseball league, but being last in the wins category!!!! i just wanna rip someones head off and wear it around my neck. yo gooodell, you better not let this guy play.

Booooo this thread, booo! The only thing a JG reinstatement will ruin is the confidence of inferior teams and managers that didn't get on board soon enough. Sour grapes!

Ok, I guess I should have mentioned that in leagues where he was drafted, and the guy who drafted him held onto him, then I think that is totally legit.

I'm talking about leagues that drafted AFTER it was known that Josh Gordon supposedly woudln't be playing at all this year. If you drafted him and held onto him, then you shouldn't feel any guilt, you were there from the very beginning.

Drafted Gordon in 5 of 7 leagues AFTER the suspension because of the situation around it. Should have been across the news a little better bro. Looks like I landed a WR1 in the 12 round of all those leagues, and the only reason I dont have him in 7 of them is because someone else grabbed him thinking the same thing I was.

they said the suspension wouldn't be lifted----i didn't drop him

they said he won't be able to sue them---i didn't drop

they said he couldn't play in the cfl---i didn't drop

he got a job as a car salesman---i finally drop him

now this garbage news of a change of rules? unreal. IM the one that took the gamble in drafting him and after all this bs some other tard that drafted a kicker over him will get him because i didn't read the "news" fast enough?

sorry for venting. but this is so stupid.

this is like having the best pitching in your baseball league, but being last in the wins category!!!! i just wanna rip someones head off and wear it around my neck. yo gooodell, you better not let this guy play.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm actually the Commish in one league (not the league where I got Gordon). In this particular league, we have a rule where no adds or drops are allowed until AFTER week 1. Basically the team that you drafted is the team that you are going to take into week 1, and then after that it just follows normal waiver wire priority.

The way we do the waiver wire is, the team with the worst win loss percentage is No.1 in waivers. Certainly, because 5 teams are going to be tied with the worst win loss percenage, it means that the team that scores the fewest points in week 1, is the No.1 waiver wire team.

Assuming all this Gordon stuff actually happens, then that team would be handed Gordon on a silver platter.

I've been thinking about whether or not there is another way to handle this. I started thinking that maybe we could just do a silent bid thing for Gordon. All the teams in the league could participate, and there would be no limit to the amount you could bid, but that money would go into the league pot.

Technically, every team would have an equal chance to bid a crazy amount of money to get the guy. I still don't think it would be all that fair, but I guess the guy that ends up with Gordon will have to pay through his teeth to get him, so maybe it would all even out in the end (unless that guy wins the Superbowl, and in that scenario, almost any amount of money the guy would have paid for Gordon would have been worth it)

That's what FAAB waivers are for. Handing top waiver priority to someone randomly isn't fair to the rest of the league.

I have JG on a LOT of my teams, but I'm under no illusion that one player will win me or anybody else a championship. There are going to be a LOT of other surprises this year, so we'll see where the chips fall.

you drafted him after he became a car salesman? lol, lies.

No I was just not dumb enough to drop him after that. I drafted him after he was suspended. Most of my drafts have been over the last two weeks. I just kept holding on given the news that was coming out constantly.

Over in the Josh Gordon thread, there have been tons of posters telling people to get over it and drop Gordon already.

Half of them are back asking for advice on how to pick him up.

Response to poster : is acquiring Gordon (assuming he plays) actually guaranteeing you a win? I don't think so lol.

I never thought at any point that this would be unfair if by some chance he plays.

The people who took him early gambled (I am one of them), for the small chance that it would pay out.

Don't you think taking the risk deserves reward? It's just a boost to your team not a guaranteed championship.

I will feel no guilt if he plays.

At no point was any of this 100% over. You either followed the situation and took the risk or you didn't. No point in crying foul if he plays.

you drafted him after he became a car salesman? lol, lies.

No I was just not dumb enough to drop him after that. I drafted him after he was suspended. Most of my drafts have been over the last two weeks. I just kept holding on given the news that was coming out constantly.

Over in the Josh Gordon thread, there have been tons of posters telling people to get over it and drop Gordon already.

Half of them are back asking for advice on how to pick him up

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

Enjoy your Gordon free season bro, he is not through the woods yet be there seems to be a pretty good chance eh?

the fact that you think you're so smart for keeping him is hilarious. there was no word ANYWHERE of the NFL negotiating with the players association about a change in the definition of the drug policy. this came out of nowhere. keep patting yourself in the back though, from the way you're claiming victory its obvious you're new to fantasy football...newb. lol

i'll enjoy my championships, you can enjoy josh gordon.

I'm actually the Commish in one league (not the league where I got Gordon). In this particular league, we have a rule where no adds or drops are allowed until AFTER week 1. Basically the team that you drafted is the team that you are going to take into week 1, and then after that it just follows normal waiver wire priority.

The way we do the waiver wire is, the team with the worst win loss percentage is No.1 in waivers. Certainly, because 5 teams are going to be tied with the worst win loss percenage, it means that the team that scores the fewest points in week 1, is the No.1 waiver wire team.

Assuming all this Gordon stuff actually happens, then that team would be handed Gordon on a silver platter.

I've been thinking about whether or not there is another way to handle this. I started thinking that maybe we could just do a silent bid thing for Gordon. All the teams in the league could participate, and there would be no limit to the amount you could bid, but that money would go into the league pot.

Technically, every team would have an equal chance to bid a crazy amount of money to get the guy. I still don't think it would be all that fair, but I guess the guy that ends up with Gordon will have to pay through his teeth to get him, so maybe it would all even out in the end (unless that guy wins the Superbowl, and in that scenario, almost any amount of money the guy would have paid for Gordon would have been worth it)

Throw the week and play your bench.. Problem solved you will be the smartest guy in the league therefore you deserve him

At no point was any of this 100% over. You either followed the situation and took the risk or you didn't. No point in crying foul if he plays.

"According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, suspended WR Josh Gordon will begin work this weekend for Sarchione Auto group in Randolph, Ohio.

Per Anderson, Gordon will work in all aspects of the car business including as an on-floor salesman. He'll also be a "goodwill ambassador," heading all of Sarchione's local community efforts such as the Wounded Warriors Project. Gordon will not be paid his $825,604 Browns salary during his suspension, and an effort to sign in the CFL was also shot down. "

yah i think getting a job at as a salesman pretty much confirmed even josh gordon didn't think he would play footballl this year. lol

Anyone who has a problem with picking up JG in any league should not play fantasy football. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.....

If you complain that it's not fair....wow....all I can picture is a big crying baby.

There is no cheating or collusion involved here. Plain and simple, the most informed and the most decisive managers win the prize. It always has been that way. Those that drafted JG or picked him up without the certainty of him playing will get rewarded. Everyone had the option of doing the same.

This is no different from any other speculative situation.....it's a part of fantasy football.

hope he doesn't play. :)

or if he does, he gets busted for drugs again right before the fantasy playoffs because he's got cement for brains. :)

"According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, suspended WR Josh Gordon will begin work this weekend for Sarchione Auto group in Randolph, Ohio.

Per Anderson, Gordon will work in all aspects of the car business including as an on-floor salesman. He'll also be a "goodwill ambassador," heading all of Sarchione's local community efforts such as the Wounded Warriors Project. Gordon will not be paid his $825,604 Browns salary during his suspension, and an effort to sign in the CFL was also shot down. "

yah i think getting a job at as a salesman pretty much confirmed even josh gordon didn't think he would play footballl this year. lol

Like I said, it was never definitively over. You assumed it was and avoided the situation. Nothing wrong with that.

Edit: And did you really believe a high profile athlete like Josh Gordon would have to resort to selling cars to makes end meet? I mean, really? Dennis Rodman currently makes 100k+ a year making appearances at nightclubs.....