Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anthony1

Will the Josh Gordon thing "ruin" your league ?

Edit: And did you really believe a high profile athlete like Josh Gordon would have to resort to selling cars to makes end meet? I mean, really? Dennis Rodman currently makes 100k+ a year making appearances at nightclubs.....

He's not dennis rodman, gordon isn't as famous as you think he is. most nfl athletes (80%) suffer financial problems after leaving the game. you think a doofus like gordon budgets well? lol

hope he doesn't play. :)

or if he does, he gets busted for drugs again right before the fantasy playoffs because he's got cement for brains. :)

200_s.gif

I hope he does play so all us Gordon owners can follow you around the forums for the next 4 months making sure you don't forget it. You sound like a sulking 12 year old :)

you drafted him after he became a car salesman? lol, lies.

No I was just not dumb enough to drop him after that. I drafted him after he was suspended. Most of my drafts have been over the last two weeks. I just kept holding on given the news that was coming out constantly.

Over in the Josh Gordon thread, there have been tons of posters telling people to get over it and drop Gordon already.

Half of them are back asking for advice on how to pick him up

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

Enjoy your Gordon free season bro, he is not through the woods yet be there seems to be a pretty good chance eh?

the fact that you think you're so smart for keeping him is hilarious. there was no word ANYWHERE of the NFL negotiating with the players association about a change in the definition of the drug policy. this came out of nowhere. keep patting yourself in the back though, from the way you're claiming victory its obvious you're new to fantasy football...newb. lol

i'll enjoy my championships, you can enjoy josh gordon.

Ill repost something I posted before, because it provides justification in keeping him beyond the change to drug laws you are pointing towards.

I posted it here:http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=423536&st=2520#entry4768061

Most people out there either have not followed the case or they are like some of the morons in this thread who think its to keep Josh Gordon stashed over a WR6 or kicker waiting for an outcome

1. Browns never drafted a top WR

2. Gordons appeal dragged on for weeks

3. Reports came in that Gordon was not directly to blame for his positive result

4. Over 70 consecutive negative tests

5. Bizarre testing output where negative sample being tested second saw him suspended. It was a joke.

6. Across all sports, the strictest testing protocol to the point of stupidity. Later acknowledged by the NFL!

7. Was positive by a margin so minuscule it could legitimately have been second hand smoke.

8. After ruling is handed down, they take days to announce it after probably trying to cut a deal.

9. NFL does not suspend him for an entire calendar year, just the season trying to soften the blow.

10. NFL then says they will review the policy after they suspend him!

11. Gordon is denied the opportunity to play for another league, ie: they stop him from working despite this sham

12. Gordon expresses dismay that the NFL never took circumstances into account (rightly)

13. NFL could be in contravention of multiple laws in Ohio

Yep, absolutely no reason to assume that this could be headed to court when there are millions of dollars at stake!

Its reached the point where I am hoping to hell he sues just to prove a point to the fools in this thread who think its a dumb idea to roster the guy at the expense of a WR6, RB5 or Kicker given these circumstances.

Despite this, I have to now read posts from people complaining about how fair it all is that those of us who took an educated guess on things and gambled a bit are somehow benefiting from a lucky break of some sort?

Wahahahaha

Whatever bros. Enjoy your Gordon free season if he makes a comeback. If not, we all will enjoy a Gordon free season

I have JG on a LOT of my teams, but I'm under no illusion that one player will win me or anybody else a championship. There are going to be a LOT of other surprises this year, so we'll see where the chips fall.

Yeah, I owned Brandon Marshall, Megatron and JG all on the same team last year. still only finished 3rd. Got him back this year, and don't feel like I am a lock to win anything, cause the lack of Quality Running backs. I think the teams with the best RB's win leagues this year.

Josh Gordon kicking everyone's a** would be awesome as far as I'm concerned.

There's never been more idiocy and groupthink surrounding a player in modern history. I actually argued with people on a football forum that he was worth a 2015 2nd round draft pick in a dynasty league! I saw him get traded for Dennis Pitta in one dynasty league this off-season. The owner that got him was smart and wouldn't give him up no matter how much I offered...

But most people? Man, they just don't seem to get it. This guy is a game-changing talent. I own him in all five of my re-draft leagues. If you didn't draft him or grab him that's on you.

In FF, I want to win at all costs. I'm not going to feel sorry for my opponent if I blow him out. Or if I was smart enough to hold onto or pick Gordon up when they had the same opportunity to do so. I really don't get this unfair argument.

Do they really have the same opportunity if the guy who loses week 1 and scores the lowest points ends up getting him? In one of my leagues, waivers are locked till Monday. The team that scores the lowest points of the week gets Gordon. It's not the same opportunity. It's random as FUHHH..

The only way I can really justify it, is that Fantasy Football is 51 percent luck anyways, and this is how the cookie crumbles sometimes, but it sure as heck isn't fair, any way you try to spin it.

By the way, could somebody think of another situation that was anything like this ? I've never seen a potential top 10 fantasy player go from having no chance of playing to all of a sudden being right back on the field (if it happens). I really can't think of another comparable situation. I mean, sure, there have been tons of holdouts, but usually holdout guys get drafted, and then somebody is rewarded taking that gamble.

Also, I'm mostly talking about drafts that happened over Labor Day weekend, when everybody thought that Josh Gordon had zip, zilch, zero chance of playing at all this year, and I was in two of those drafts, and he went undrafted in both.

I get what you're saying as well, but the rules were the rules, and all parties involved decided - i'm assuming by either tacit agreement or a majority vote - that these would be the concrete rules set in stone. I don't even understand how this was unexpected. FYI, I don't own Gordon... someone else in my league who has McCoy, Forte, and Jimmy Graham now has f'n Gordon, so none of us are particularly happy with the situation. That said, despite the fact that this "agreement" would fundamentally change NFL policy came from left field, it "should" have been something that all parties would be aware of "could" potentially happen. How many times does a sports team explicitly say "there's NO WAY we're going to get this guy," then 2 days later, you see a picture of said player smiling for the cameras? What are you going to then say? Wah, Wah, but they said there was NO WAY?

You guys made the rule that would apparently favor the worst team in the league per week with a #1 waiver to balance the competitive field. First off, with all due respect, that's some mickey mouse s--- (lol), and guess what... your policy worked!!! The worst team in week 1 has the "chance" (we still don't know whether the policy will be changed and even if it does, whether it will have some retroactive effect) to make himself a very, very competitive player, and even then, there's still the risk that Gordon doesn't play a single game. I don't see how any of this is unfair.

Let's say, a third of your starting lineup happened to be in the same team, and said team all perished via a crashed flight or other vehicular accident. Since this is so "out there," do you then change the rules to accommodate this player? No... f--- him. All of my leagues are with friends, and so far, not a single complaint, cause they're not major tools and we're all adults who've experienced more than our fair share of "unexpected" tribulations.

Lastly, it's just one player. It's a damn good, potentially gamechanging player, but if anyone in your league is "given" a championship because of the inclusion of one player, even a player the calibre of Gordon, the other 9-x of you guys aren't exactly worth ****e in any decent fantasy league i'm in at least. This isn't fantasy basketball where imho skill trumps luck due to the relative sample size and statistical consistency of each player. This is a game where Marshawn Lynch can net you 24.4 points and easily, very easily, get less than 6 or 7 points in a couple of games throughout the season. Likewise, Gordon can have a relatively bad day. Frankly, I can go against the guy who got Gordon and still think I have more than a viable shot of beating him any week. I drafted Gronk for $24... there's a chance he won't even play half the season because he gets injured in his very first touch... actually that applies to any player. You make the risk, and you own up to the decisions you've made. What's the issue here?

Once again, it's not that I don't understand where you guys are coming from in a rational, cognitive sense, but if you guys change the rules because of this...

YOUR LEAGUE IS A JOKE,

and I'd like an asterisk next to whoever wins the mickey mouse trophy of mickey mouse fantasy leagues as a "trophy."

This drug policy isn't random. If u read the Firld and Court story about Gordon's legal opportunity to file an injunction against the league after he lost his appeal, you would have known there was a legit chance he played. The car salesman thing, its a 22 yr old kid with no money covering his bases. His legal team said it was looking into whether to sue the league like 3 days before he got that job. Jobs arent granted in a day, so it was an obvious case of being unrelated to whether he'd sue or not.

He never announced he wasn't suing, instead a more viable option came along in raising the weed threshhold when the NFL looked ridiculous having 1/10th the amt the Olympics tests for, 1/3rd the amount the US Army tests for, etc.

This whole time, the injustice of it all left leople believing things would be made right with him.

To the conspiracy theorists go the spoils.

FYI, CSB alert, drafted him in two leagues prior to him losing the appeal. Drafted him in one AFTER he lost appeal. Held him in all 3 thanks to that Field and Court article.

Wow, I would never have guessed people would have such an issue here. If he's a free agent in your fantasy league, then whatever normal rules you have for pickups apply. So that means that if first priority is to whomever has the worst record after week 1, then so be it. You can't change the rules mid stream because you are mad that you don't have a chance to get him or someone else is mad that they drafted him then dropped him. In my league where we drafted on September 3rd Gordon went undrafted because we all presumed he was done for the year. When news came out that he "might" play this year, someone went out and picked him up right away. No one in our league has said a peep about it (other than maybe some cussing at him for beating us to the punch). There are a ton of waiver wire adds every year that turn out to be gems for teams. That's just how it goes. Play by your normal rules and it will all work out. And if the team with Gordon wins, so be it.

Anyone who has a problem with picking up JG in any league should not play fantasy football. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.....

If you complain that it's not fair....wow....all I can picture is a big crying baby.

There is no cheating or collusion involved here. Plain and simple, the most informed and the most decisive managers win the prize. It always has been that way. Those that drafted JG or picked him up without the certainty of him playing will get rewarded. Everyone had the option of doing the same.

This is no different from any other speculative situation.....it's a part of fantasy football.

This, and what dudnaito said. It's part of the game, and the waiver order the OP set up is part of his game.

Additionally, who was the guy who said this:

I have been in league where someone purposefully looses the first two weeks just to get the best pick ups. Last year, the guy got Julius Thomas, Zac Stacy, Keenun Allen, and Josh Gordon. He then went on to win it all due to a stacked team where the top six teams all go to playoffs

That would be impressive indeed. In our scoring system, Keenan Allen scored a total of three points in the first three games. Stacy scored 0.4 in the first four. It just sounds like he's clever to me. I drafted Josh Gordon last year knowing full well he would be missing the first couple of games.

You had those rules when you started the league. We have the same waiver wire rules in ours, but have no illusions about their effect. We just like to keep things more even, to stop teams being left behind. If you don't want that then fair enough, but change it next year, not this.

Anyone who has a problem with picking up JG in any league should not play fantasy football. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.....

If you complain that it's not fair....wow....all I can picture is a big crying baby.

There is no cheating or collusion involved here. Plain and simple, the most informed and the most decisive managers win the prize. It always has been that way. Those that drafted JG or picked him up without the certainty of him playing will get rewarded. Everyone had the option of doing the same.

This is no different from any other speculative situation.....it's a part of fantasy football.

This, and what dudnaito said. It's part of the game, and the waiver order the OP set up is part of his game.

Additionally, who was the guy who said this:

I have been in league where someone purposefully looses the first two weeks just to get the best pick ups. Last year, the guy got Julius Thomas, Zac Stacy, Keenun Allen, and Josh Gordon. He then went on to win it all due to a stacked team where the top six teams all go to playoffs

That would be impressive indeed. In our scoring system, Keenan Allen scored a total of three points in the first three games. Stacy scored 0.4 in the first four. It just sounds like he's clever to me. I drafted Josh Gordon last year knowing full well he would be missing the first couple of games.

You had those rules when you started the league. We have the same waiver wire rules in ours, but have no illusions about their effect. We just like to keep things more even, to stop teams being left behind. If you don't want that then fair enough, but change it next year, not this.

Good catch. Didn't even think about that. Allen and Stacy would not have been considered "home run" picks week 1 last year and probably weren't even thought of as pick ups at all. And come to think of it, what league had Josh Gordon on waivers last year? Even with the 4 game suspension he should still have been drafted. And who in the world would lose their first 2 games on purpose to add speculative pick ups anyways? You don't know if anyone you pick up on waivers will be gold or be a bust. They didn't get drafted, meaning that every team had a chance (16 chances perhaps) to pick these guys up and everyone passed. That would be just plain dumb to lose your first 2 games on purpose to try to get the top waiver pickup. What if you had ended up with Ogletree from a few years ago? For the record, I picked up Thomas, Stacy and Allen last year on my squads through waivers and / or free agent pickups. Only Thomas was an add during the first week. Stacy and Allen were later on. Everyone else had a chance to grab them too. I was only in the top waiver spot for Thomas week 1. The other 2 were added later on during the season. Going by memory I'm pretty sure Stacy didn't become a viable option until maybe week 6.

It's kind of like the people that drafted/picked up knowshon last year and ended up with a top 5 RB for most of the season.

Chalk it up to risk/reward, luck, or skill. Your call

In deep leagues, Josh Gordon coming back will have an immense impact. By deep i mean 12+ teams with 2 or more flex and deep rosters. In 10 team leagues there is an impact but not as much. But in a 14 team league, this is just going to tip the balance a lot!

I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole Josh Gordon thing right now. On the one hand, I'm as giddy as a 6th grade girl getting to meet Justin Beiber. (I was able to add Gordon in one of my leagues).

On the other hand, this thing is kinda making me a bit sick to my stomach, because it seems so unfair to the rest of the league, and in my other league the team that loses their game, and scores the least amount of points will have No.1 waiver wire priority and could have Gordon handed to them on a silver platter.

It just seems like either way this Gordon thing is a bit of a disaster for Fantasy Football. If you have him on your team, and you end up winning the championship, should your win come with an asterix ?

Will the prize money you get, be like blood money ?

And, if you didn't luck out on Gordon, and he ends up on some other team in your league, and that team runs away with the championship, will you consider the league "fixed" basically ? I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a situation even remotely similar to this.

It would be like that year that Barry Sanders retried, midway through September he announces he's not going to be retired anymore, and if you happened to have been near your computer (actually more like a fax machine back then lol), you luckily end up getting him. We've never had a situation anything like this that I can remember.

Probably the best example I can think of in recent memory is when Mario Lemiuex unretired. In the 2000-2001 NHL season, Lemieux came out of retirement shortly after the season began. I know a lot of people here likely don't play fantasy hockey. And probably did not play back then if they do. But it essentially dropped one of the 5 best players in the league right into someone's lap after leagues had formed, drafted, and began play. Lemieux didn't play til late December (season usually starts in early October). And he played in "only" half the games that season. But he still finished 26th overall in scoring and first in points per game.

I'm not sure that's this is even that big of a deal. Sure, Gordon is good. If he plays, he should be a Top 10 WR. Probably Top 5. But how many games will he play? Will Gordon still be as productive post Norv Turner? Since fantasy football uses weekly scoring, how much better will be to your bench guys each week? And arguably most importantly, breakout nobodies happen every year. A few years back I ended up claiming Alfred Morris off waivers after his first game. He finished 2nd in the NFL in rushing. Last year, players like Knowshown Moreno weer likely waiver claims and/or late draft picks. Hell, I know I helped ride guys like Josh McCown to fantasy success. The idea that there's never a good waiver wire addition in fantasy football is false. Gordon might have more of a history, but he's hardly the only productive waiver add.

Ruin seems like a really strong word. It made it interesting that's for sure. It sucks if you did not get him. But that's how it is. Some people take risks I got him on 1 of my leagues and I'm hoping he goes in. For my team I am in need of a WR1/WR2 type of player.

CSB Alert: Spoke with a friend in his league the guy that picked him up has the potential of having Megatron and Josh Gordon together. oh the humanity. That's a scary thing.

It is a scary thing. One of the GMs had Peyton Manning, Megatron & Josh Gordon as his core elite players last year. He bum rushed to the playoffs and no one, it seemed, felt the league was ruined -- I definitely didn't (I ended up winning the whole thing). Sure he got in the playoffs with that lineup, but once in the playoffs anything can happen. Guess what took him down and enable me to sneak past him and win the following week? Yah, that Justin Tucker game... Coming in he had Megatron and the other guy Justin Tucker. Yah, the rest is history.

Playoffs is a crapshoot and there are still 16weeks which means ANYTHING can still happen (ie: more waiver gold or injuries).

I wouldn't fret about this Josh Gordon thing.

I have him this year now though =D. So now it's my turn to be the juggernaut and I acknowledge that I still have a long way to go before even thinking about collecting the trophy and prize moneys.

If someone is willing to burn a roster spot and presumably drop someone with value on a total flier then they should get rewarded with Gordon's upside. There is no guarantee he will return this year and you might lose whoever you dropped.

If you drafted him (like many including myself did) or if you picked him up before your leaguemates, thats strategy. Its no different then picking up Orange Julius last year, except this is more fair since every one had an equal opportunity to take him.

I was able to grab Josh Gordon and I think my team is one of the weakest in the league, so it's not going to ruin anything.

But even if I did run away with it...I was the one paying attention and willing to gamble a roster spot for him so what's the problem? If he helps me win, I don't see what's unfair about that. Anyone in the league could have had him.