Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

patentboy23

Player A or Player B? 2014-2015 Season

GMs are often faced with the dilemma of choosing between players with similar values, identical positions, etc. This thread serves to help sift through the madness and narrow down your close call or coin toss picks. Post at least two players that are close in rankings, stats, etc. that you would like feedback or input on and provide your rationale for choosing that specific player(s), if possible. Mine is Robin Lopez vs Derrick Favors. I choose Lopez due to his stellar %s and blocks, but more importantly his cheaper price tag at a Yahoo ADP of 78 versus Favor's 68. What's yours?

Example:

Kobe vs Wade H2H 9 cat. Kobe's a better choice because his ceiling is higher as the #1 option on the team and he offers a better FT% and possibly more points and assists. Or, Wade's a better choice because he offers more steals, a superior FG%, and 1 extra game during playoffs.

9-cat H2H

A. Stephen Curry - #4 in 13-14 BBM rankings. Injury concerns are overstated.
B. James Harden - #8 in 13-14 BBM rankings. #1 over the last 2 months (might've been 3 months)

Gun to my head. Unless one of these guys get hurt in the pre-season I think I'm gonna go with Harden. The fact that he supplanted Durant for the #1 spot (albeit for a short period) tells me he has room for upside. He is expected to have an increased in usage rate which bodes well for his fantasy numbers. Curry on the other hand will play under a new system in which he is reportedly expected to have a reduced role. Curry was already in the top 6 usage rate last season whereas Harden was only 12th supports my hypothesis that Harden is in for a bigger season.

9-cat H2H

B. James Harden - #8 in 13-14 BBM rankings. #1 over the last 2 months (might've been 3 months)

Gun to my head. Unless one of these guys get hurt in the pre-season I think I'm gonna go with Harden. The fact that he supplanted Durant for the #1 spot (albeit for a short period) tells me he has room for upside. He is expected to have an increased in usage rate which bodes well for his fantasy numbers. Curry on the other hand will play under a new system in which he is reportedly expected to have a reduced role. Curry was already in the top 6 usage rate last season whereas Harden was only 12th supports my hypothesis that Harden is in for a bigger season.

Not even a debate here. Curry is the answer.

Consensus, yes. Curry is ahead of Harden but to say "it's not a debate" rules out any possibility that Harden won't overtake Curry. That's just a lazy analysis.

9-cat H2H

I disagree. Harden, as mentioned, was the top player for a 2-3 month span. He loses Lin and Parsons, so he'll be asked to score and facilitate more. Curry moves to a new coach who wants him off the ball more. Possible his assists drop. Why isn't this debatable? It's darn close in my eyes. I'd even lean Harden.

9-cat H2H

Not necessarily. This is a good comparison. Legitimate points made. This would be a hard one for me too.

Biases aside, I lean towards the Harden side. His FT% contribution can never be underestimated, being that he and KD are the only players whose impact is 2 standard deviations above the mean. In other words, Harden can singlehandedly win FT% for you. Moreover, %s are less variable compared to counting stats, such as points, meaning that Harden is more likely to carry your team's FT% than your points week in and week out. Any input on Wade vs Kobe or Lopez vs Favors ;) ? I'm torn on which veteran to take and Favors is touted as a breakout, but Lopez was more valuable per game and can be drafted a round, maybe two later.

9-cat H2H

Yeah, technically you can debate it ad nauseum. In the end, I think Curry will have a better year. I understand it's close. Looking at things more closely, FG%, STL, PTS, RBS are all roughly the same for each. Curry has a better FT%, more assists, more 3's, and blocks are basically negligible (Harden will have ~10 more blocks). Give me the guy with more assists and 3's while the other categories are even.

Lopez is a rock solid player but I'm taking Favors every time. Lopez is a role player, but a consistent one. Around 11 & 8 with 1.5 blocks is pretty bankable. He's also become a beast with %'s. If he's on my team, I'm more than fine with that. However, even with his great season, Favors still outranked him (8-cat, per game, per BBM). With the potential growth of Hayward or Burke (and maybe some help from Exum), Favors may be getting some easier looks this year. They also may be using him in pick and roll more, where he has been efficient. There isn't a ton of talent on this roster, and Favors might start the year at center. I translate that as more points available to him, easier shots since he'll be closer to the rim, more rebounds, and maybe even more blocks. I hate bad ft% and I really hope he can get it to around 70%, but I think I just talked myself into targeting Favors. I could really see 16 & 10 with monsterous stocks.

Firstly, I'll start congratulating patentboy for this great topic idea. Then I'll give my own thoughts about the comparisons here.

Favors x Lopez

I usually play in keeper or dynasty, so I'll always go with upside. My choice is Favors, especially for his potential 2.5 BLK + 1.5 STL, paired with 10 REB and 15 PTS, he should be huge. I also hope he increases his FT% to around 70%, but this is a hope and not an expectation.

Kobe x Wade

I simply hate taking players with injury risk, so I personally wouldn't draft either. Wade can't stay healthy a whole season and usually rests in a lot of games. His value is very good for where he's being taken (around 40th). However, I think Kobe has a better chance of staying healthy after resting a whole season. Value wise, they're very close, I think it's up to who stays healthier.

Curry x Harden

I do believe Curry will still give the better value, so if I could choose, I'd take him. I also do think Harden could end up being better than him and his SG tag is golden, since this is the worst position for production (usually only good for 3's and points). I also love Harden's production in FT%, which is really hard to find. In an auction, I'd go Harden, since he would go for less value and similar production.

Irving x Lillard

Very interesting one. They are very similar in most of the cats: FT%, REB, AST, STL, BLK, PTS. The real difference here is Lillard has more 3's sacrificing some FG%. That said, Irving now got LeBron and Love, which should reduce his volume production, especially points, and up his efficiency. With this analysis, I'd take Lillard, since I'd know more precisely what I'd be getting.

I have one that I'd like people to discuss:

Marc Gasol x Chris Bosh x Al Horford

They are all going around 25th-35th, but are a lock to return top20 value when healthy and potential to return top10 value.

Marc suffered from injuries last year, but when he did play he returned very good value. He's great for FT% and AST from the center position. He had 3 consecutive seasons of top15 value before last season.

Bosh is the man in Miami now and people are expecting him to return Raptors' time value. I'm thinking something like 23 PTS, 9 REB, 2 AST, 1.5 BLK, 1 STL, 1 3PM, to go with 50% and 80%. That would be 1st round in my book.

Horford's last 5 seasons were 3 of top15 value and 2 with season-ending injuries. When healthy, he's a lock for amazing production, and his injuries were considered fluky.

All that said, I think I'd take Bosh, Horford, Marc in this order, but I call them all very close.

These are 3 targets of mine too. Consider their strengths that set them apart, when building your squad: Horford FG%/rebs; Bosh points/FT%; Gasol blks/assists. Gasol's blocks/ assists are a rare commodity esp. 3 APG from a big. However, his ceiling is lower compared to Horford and Bosh, due to his lower points and rebounds. Horford's FG% is an excellent foundation to buffer low FG%/ bad shooting nights from high volume shooters/ scorers e.g. Jennings . However, his FT% has been plummeting and may not revert back to normal, being the focal point of ATL's offense; injuries woes are also a concern. Bosh is one of the best scoring big men in the game and has been working on his inside game, which may help stabilize his FG% and contribute to a rise in FTA at an 80% clip. On the other hand, his FG% could also drop, if he keeps chucking 3s. Bosh offers the highest upside but perhaps the lower floor, compared to Horford, whom has the highest floor (top 20 finishes in last 4/5 seasons). Fortunately, Gasol's current Yahoo ADP is lower than Horford and Bosh so you can hopefully get to own 2/3. If I could only own one, I'd select Bosh. Next one up is below:

Player A: Kemba Walker

Player B: Jeff Teague

I choose Kemba. The addition of Stephenson hopefully increases ball movement, leads to easy cuts to the lane for Kemba, helping his FG%, and allow him to gamble in the passing lanes for easy steals. He finished 32nd in 9 cat in '12-'13 also and may be in store for a bounce back season.

They are all going around 25th-35th, but are a lock to return top20 value when healthy and potential to return top10 value.

Marc suffered from injuries last year, but when he did play he returned very good value. He's great for FT% and AST from the center position. He had 3 consecutive seasons of top15 value before last season.

Bosh is the man in Miami now and people are expecting him to return Raptors' time value. I'm thinking something like 23 PTS, 9 REB, 2 AST, 1.5 BLK, 1 STL, 1 3PM, to go with 50% and 80%. That would be 1st round in my book.

Horford's last 5 seasons were 3 of top15 value and 2 with season-ending injuries. When healthy, he's a lock for amazing production, and his injuries were considered fluky.

All that said, I think I'd take Bosh, Horford, Marc in this order, but I call them all very close.

What do you guys think of Dirk x Griffin x Bosh. I am torn between these 3 bigs in the second round. Dirk had a great season last year, but with him getting older and the addition of Parsons, I'm worried Dirk will have a significant drop off next season when compared to Blake who only seems to get better every season and Bosh who will be the no. 1 guy in Miami.

I'm also worried about Dirk, Parsons and Chandler coming and Calderon was a decent PG now that Felton I do not like him at all. Worried about Dirk especially 1 year older now. I don't like him around 18 at all.

BG getting better each and every year so I'd take him ahead of Bosh for sure. If he can shoot around %73 from FT this year, lookout.

Bosh should be great also last year those 10 pts 5 reb. lines killed me but should be a lock for 20-8 this year right? Little bit worried about FG though without LBJ in town and shooting 3s, I hope it will not be below .500.

Enough with the bigs, how about C.Parsons - K.Thompson.

Contract year for Klay on the other hand Parsons got paid already. Both players are working with new coaches. I personally like me some Klay mainly it's contract year. Certainly would appreciate some feedback on that.

I like Klay more not just because he is in a contract year, but he also have valuable experience from FIBA and while both player are dealing with new coaches, at least Klay is more familiar with his team than Parsons.

Sick thread. Good analysis in here. I have trouble with harden v cp3 v curry also. i would be happy with any of the 3 though.

Jrue Holiday v Monta Ellis v Eric Bledsoe

can usually get these guys in the 4th round. who do you like best? i think if i knew jrue would be fully healthy i would take him.. who would you take?

also

Millsap v Horford - - this one is hard for me also. both being healthy i prefer horford for the higher fg% rebounds and blks. but millsap is not that far off and i guess his safety would make me lean towards millsap

Between Holiday x Ellis x Bledsoe I would probably take bledsoe because of his good all around stats and he has the highest celiling. Holiday is still not 100% going into training camp and there is still Gordan and Tyreke to have some time handling the ball. I am just not a big Ellis fan because of his low 3pt's for a guard and he is no longer playing next to Calderon who was a great passer compare to Felton and Nelson.

Ellis > Bledsoe > Holiday

For me, as I still weary of the whole Thomas/Bledsoe/Dragic carousel. Some people still may draft and that's ok, but I would like consistency more so than who the heck has the hot hand. Reminds me of when Phoenix was rotating between Frye/Kieff & Miles with a sprinkle of Marcus. Holiday like was earlier mentioned has lost touches to Reke & (hopefully) a healthy Gordon. He is not in Philly anymore.

Wade vs Kobe:

Call me a sucker but even with Wade missing games his steals from the SG spot I can't overlook. Also combine that with sometimes he gets a block from there too. Give me all them stats. Steals is hard to find and Kobe doesn't really steal that much. Also combine that with the report he might not play back-to-backs. I'm not wasting a pick (a high one) at that.

Millsap > Horford

2 years of missing basketball. Call me a skeptic but if you want to call them flukey or not, them injuries leading to season ending both years is a concern for me. I rather go with the workhorse during those missed times.

Harden Vs Curry:

This has been debated on this board for a good amount of times now. Point blank I still feel Curry was a product of Mark Jacksons offensive scheme which inflated his numbers. If you want to take that risk and think he will replicate with a new coach by all means. I rather not take that risk.

What I want to know is Chalmers (101) vs Beverly (74):

In some of my mocks, it's tough to get both. If your punting assists, which some of you have decided that you want to do, who do you take first. Chalmers with his increased role with Lebron gone and his upside in 3's and steals or Beverly with his increased role with Lin gone with his potential steals and some decent value 3's?

These are 3 targets of mine too. Consider their strengths that set them apart, when building your squad: Horford FG%/rebs; Bosh points/FT%; Gasol blks/assists. Gasol's blocks/ assists are a rare commodity esp. 3 APG from a big. However, his ceiling is lower compared to Horford and Bosh, due to his lower points and rebounds. Horford's FG% is an excellent foundation to buffer low FG%/ bad shooting nights from high volume shooters/ scorers e.g. Jennings . However, his FT% has been plummeting and may not revert back to normal, being the focal point of ATL's offense; injuries woes are also a concern. Bosh is one of the best scoring big men in the game and has been working on his inside game, which may help stabilize his FG% and contribute to a rise in FTA at an 80% clip. On the other hand, his FG% could also drop, if he keeps chucking 3s. Bosh offers the highest upside but perhaps the lower floor, compared to Horford, whom has the highest floor (top 20 finishes in last 4/5 seasons). Fortunately, Gasol's current Yahoo ADP is lower than Horford and Bosh so you can hopefully get to own 2/3. If I could only own one, I'd select Bosh. Next one up is below:

Player A: Kemba Walker

Player B: Jeff Teague

I choose Kemba. The addition of Stephenson hopefully increases ball movement, leads to easy cuts to the lane for Kemba, helping his FG%, and allow him to gamble in the passing lanes for easy steals. He finished 32nd in 9 cat in '12-'13 also and may be in store for a bounce back season.

Very good points. Since I'm playing auction, I'm thinking of targetting the 3 of them, but not sure if I'm able to get at least 2, since their values could inflate in an auction fight.

Kemba x Teague

I like Teague a little better simply for his assists, which are around 2 points higher. Teague had a (sort of) disappointing year last season, mainly 'cause of Horford missing the season and Teague having to shoulder the big load. He had been a very efficient shooter in the previous year (>45%) with over 1.5 steals and over 1.0 three. I'd probably go Teague.

For me, as I still weary of the whole Thomas/Bledsoe/Dragic carousel. Some people still may draft and that's ok, but I would like consistency more so than who the heck has the hot hand. Reminds me of when Phoenix was rotating between Frye/Kieff & Miles with a sprinkle of Marcus. Holiday like was earlier mentioned has lost touches to Reke & (hopefully) a healthy Gordon. He is not in Philly anymore.

Wade vs Kobe:

Call me a sucker but even with Wade missing games his steals from the SG spot I can't overlook. Also combine that with sometimes he gets a block from there too. Give me all them stats. Steals is hard to find and Kobe doesn't really steal that much. Also combine that with the report he might not play back-to-backs. I'm not wasting a pick (a high one) at that.

Millsap > Horford

2 years of missing basketball. Call me a skeptic but if you want to call them flukey or not, them injuries leading to season ending both years is a concern for me. I rather go with the workhorse during those missed times.

Harden Vs Curry:

This has been debated on this board for a good amount of times now. Point blank I still feel Curry was a product of Mark Jacksons offensive scheme which inflated his numbers. If you want to take that risk and think he will replicate with a new coach by all means. I rather not take that risk.

In some of my mocks, it's tough to get both. If your punting assists, which some of you have decided that you want to do, who do you take first. Chalmers with his increased role with Lebron gone and his upside in 3's and steals or Beverly with his increased role with Lin gone with his potential steals and some decent value 3's?

First...this is an excellent thread that is extremely helpful for debating those tough draft day decisions.

I've been having that same debate of Chalmers vs Beverly, and if I have to choose one, I'm going with Chalmers, though it is close. I like his better FG%, and higher assists and steals. I think he'll see a slight increase across the board on all his numbers, now that LBJ is gone, and he'll be handling the ball more. Beverly still has to contend with Harden doing most of the playmaking, and thus wont see as much of an increase as Chalmers.

Another tough choice that I've been contemplating is Jodie Meeks, who for some reason has been going very late (or cheap) in drafts, and JJ Redick. Their numbers are very close, but somehow Redick tends to go first. Redick has had some injurie issues, but he plays in a better team and system, as well as having to deal with a deeper bench that includes Crawford. I've been leaning towards Meeks, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

Wade vs Kobe:

Millsap > Horford

Harden Vs Curry:

Alright...I definitely think a few of these could be expanded on:

Bosh>Leonard>Millsap>Horford>Gasol

I think that quintuplet of players is a real tough combo to distuinguish upon. For pure upside i think Kawhi takes it hands down, but I still fear Pop will put the handcuffs on him a little to prevent injury. Lets face it Pop knows best, the way he has kept Duncan, Ginobli and Parker fit over the years by managing their roles is nothing short of miracle work. For that reason I have Bosh a smiggen ahead. Bosh is all upside except for his FG%, which i expect to drop a little. Not much though cause he is a good passer and McBob is too and he'll be hard to lock down. Millsap people are concerned about Horford return and while it did take a little while for them to gel they started to really play well together before big Al went down. Stocks and 3s with decent %s assists boards and pretty low TOs is cash money. Big Al has plenty of upside, we wouldn't even be having this debate if he wasn't injured last year as he would be a lock for top 15. Great FG%, Stocks, assists, pts, FT% over last few season has been a bit worrying but its not atrocious. Gasol again would be higher but for the injury, those assist are amazing and % are great but his ceiling is lower as has been mentioned.

Wade v Kobe:

I'm leaving these two alone. Got burned on Kobe last year and every time i think about going in again i realise how old he is and how he will have to be nursed through not to miss games. Wade has another year on his ailing knees and meniscus injuries do NOT get better with time. Both ticking time bombs

Bledsoe>>Kemba>Ellis>Teague>Holiday>Williams>Rubio

This is the battle of the 4/5th round PGs. To be honest now Bledsoe has signed i think he is more a late 3rd rounder (that will probably go early 3rd). He will get at least 30mins (prob 32) and will put up the stats, high ceiling, low floor with the meniscus concern (although it was managed better than Wade's removal). The others are closer. Kemba will go first due to his higher ADP, and i think Stephenson will help him as he won't have such a high usage, which kills his FG%. If he gets that up his value is good. Ellis is a low ceiling, high floor solid pick. He is the primary facilitator (I expect Nelson to play the calderon role perfectly, sit back and bomb, occassional assist), he will probably score the same on a little less TOs and he gets steals. Handy. Teague I expect a bit of a bounce back with horford's return. Better Fg% and can go for steals so they should both increase. Holiday, higher ceiling, much lower floor. Gets great assists, steals, but stress fractures scare me, and team mates will need a lot of ball. Williams for some reason i think might surprise this season. All reports say his ankles are better. If he gets through the season he could have the best value of the lot. Rubio I'm down on. The guy can't score FULL STOP. Assist will go down then what does he have? steals but thats not enough.

Davis>LBJ>Curry>Harden

This is a tough pick 2-5. I lean towards Davis for pure upside. Sky is the limit. Boards may drop a little, but it think FG% goes up with holiday return and asik in the paint, assist go up, stocks are already exceptional and he might even drop 0.5 threes. can he stay fit...i think so. LBJ is the solid pick, probably going to return similar 13/14 numbers, maybe a tiny decline in assists, rbs and pts; but i think increase in stocks - who else can defend? Curry looks like he could play off the ball so lower TOs, assists might decrease his value a little (not much either). Harden I am big on. His close was amazing last year and its the harden show even more this year. Could finish top 2 or 3...never know.

Chalmers>Beverly

Chalmers has much more upside as he will have the ball in his hands and I'm far from conviced spolstra turns to Napier or Cole to run the offense. Beverly is solid and may get a little more ball, but we know he is in for his defense and that is a concern as his intense play gets himself (and others - Westbrook) injured.

Calderon>Reggie Jackson>Hill

This one is really close IMO. I'll let others comment first as this post is getting long

Noel>West>Markief>T.Jones>JV>Rolo

ditto above

What I want to know is for a punt FT%, are you taking DeAndre Jordan or are you taking Drummond? Both get boards and blocks however who will sustain value for the rest of the season. Drummond chips in with a little help with possible steals at .59, but does Monroe/Smith effect is play time along with a new coach in Stan?

To answer some of the above:

T.Jones > Kieff

Like I mentioned above, I don't trust the carousel of Miles & the Morris Brothers. Yes Frye is gone which opens up a lot of minutes but still who has the hot hand is the name of the game. Kieff as a higher ceiling and has IME (in my eyes) developed further along than T. Jones. But again, who is T. Jones back-up? (Exactly!)

If I had a Top 6 Rankings list mines would be:

KD

AD

Lebron

Harden

Curry

Paul

You can toss a coin for either of the bunch (Curry, Harden, Paul)

Depends if you value more steals (Paul)

Value more 3's and Points (Curry)

Or if you value more FT% and 3's.

The news of Curry playing off the ball signals to me that he wont have the ball in his hands as much thus limiting his drives to get to the free throw line and possibly more jump shots which should limit his FG%.

I wouldn't be surprised (only for jokes or for experimental purposes) I see a Livingston, Curry, Okay lineup playing small ball or vice versa.

Gordon Hayward or Wesley Matthews?

They seem to be going in the same round. I've mocked Hayward first, always, but sometimes I lack 3PM and wish I'd gotten Matthews instead.

I like the assists from Hayward, but I also like Matthews' low turnovers.

They seem to be going in the same round. I've mocked Hayward first, always, but sometimes I lack 3PM and wish I'd gotten Matthews instead.

Add B.Beal as well. Hard for me to choose but I'd put Hayward at last between 3.

Matthews> Hayward> Beal (9 cat). I prefer Hayward's assists and steals. He had a solid 16/5/5/ last season with 1.4 SPG. Leading scorer on Jazz and going to get close to 36 MPG in a new fast-paced offense. Matthews' ceiling is limited on a stacked Blazer squad, despite posting top 60 9 cat value over the past few seasons; Beal doesn't offer much outside of pts, 3s, and low TOs; he's also the least efficient of the three but the youngest, which leaves room for upside but perhaps not at his current ADP.

Meeks> Redick. Redick's not only injure prone, but he has to compete with J Crawford for playing time; he offers a great FT% and nearly the same number of 3PM as Meeks. In contrast, Meeks doesn't have much competition with KCP and should flourish in the SVG offense; he will has higher steals and possibly more points. He also is a better bargain with a Yahoo ADP in the 140s compared to Redick low 100 ADP.

Mine:

Player A: Ersan Illyasova

Player B: Danilo Gallinari

Unsure about this. Ersan is so streaky but can be very productive when he's on; he's also potential trade bait for the Bucks. Gallinari is a stud when healthy but when is he ever healthy. I lean towards Gallo, being that he doesn't have as much competition in the rotation compared to Ersan dealing with Henson and possibly Parker.

Add B.Beal as well. Hard for me to choose but I'd put Hayward at last between 3.