Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

parrothead

2015 Either/Or Game

This is not my team, so hopefully we can get this going as a thread, kind of hypothetical situations.

Situation 1, Either/Or: You need a SP, there as been a run, you are to make a pick and then the starting pitcher run may go again before it comes back to you.

Your choice is Colin McHugh or Justin Verlander. Either Or whats say you?

For me, they are on a similar tier, which is I would like them in the P3-5 spots, prefer P4 or 5, and still not sure where they are headed, is this really McHugh? Is this really Verlander? For me, I go Verlander, still think something is there, and I am not ready to buy on McHugh.

No chance. I take McHugh. Even if he is a fluke (which I doubt) he can't be as bad as Verlander is.

Verlander's FB velocity is in freefall. There were rumors this year that he is injured and maybe the heavy innings during his peak have contributed to his problems.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=8700&position=P&pitch=FA

2009: 95.6

2010: 95.4

2011: 95.0

2012: 94.3

2013: 93.3

2014: 92.3

I'd much rather take my chances with McHugh. Despite being unproven, he doesn't have steep, downward sloping trend lines like Verlander.

I agree. Verlander seems to be on the downslope of his career and it appears pretty steep. I'd go with McHugh.

McHugh may be unproven but still a better bet than Verlander. In addition to aforementioned drop in velocity his k/9 fell off a cliff (8.95 in 2013 versus 6.95 in 2014). I'd be shocked if verlander returns to his past dominant form.

Arrieta or Iwakuma?

Arrieta. He puts much better strikeout numbers. His peripherals back him up as the real deal. Potential stud again.

Arrieta or Iwakuma?

Arrieta

Rusney Castillo or Yasmany Tomas?, in a dynasty league.

Castillo

Redraft league, Edwin or Bautista?

Yelich

Bautista

Bautista. Only a handful of guys that guarantees you 30+ home runs.

I think he was responding to my question of Edwin or Bautista

Battle of the Alexs'

Alex Cobb

or

Alex Wood

both will have poor run support, but one is in push over NL east vs. AL east.

Hanley... I'm huge on Hanley this year. Fenway is a ridiculous RH park. Plus he is in OF which should help durability.

Matt Harvey or Zach Greinke in dynasty league?

Hanley... I'm huge on Hanley this year. Fenway is a ridiculous RH park. Plus he is in OF which should help durability.

Close but I would go with Greinke simply because I have no concerns with him and Harvey is coming off Tommy John surgery.

CarGo or Corey Dickerson?

Close but I would go with Greinke simply because I have no concerns with him and Harvey is coming off Tommy John surgery.

On 2nd thought: Matt Harvey is 6 years younger. That would be the deciding factor for me in a dynasty.

I'd take Dickerson... zero confidence in CarGo anymore.

Former stud SP late round pick... Matt Cain or Justin Verlander?