Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

parrothead

2015 Either/Or Game

I take Moustakas because he has more experience (both avg should go down)

Melancon or Rodney ROS?

Fernando for me. Both are shaky but Rodney has these rough patches every year and always holds onto the job plus he doesn't have the velocity concerns of Melancon.

Redraft:

Harper or Cabrera?

and

Abreu or Edwin?

Harper / Abreu in my book (the first comparison was harder than the second)... i was going to reply melancon to the previous post (King.James), but you beat me to it.

gRich or Carrasco ???

Richards

Soler or CarGon?

Soler for me. CarGo just looks abysmal right now. A whopping 1 steal. It's sad to think how badly injuries have sapped his career.

Big Papi or Yoenis Cespedes ROS?

d'Arnaud. Hit 13HR in only 385AB with an awful average last season. Pumped his average up before the injury and already had 2 in 41AB. Should be a lock for something like 18-20HR this season with a good, if not great, average.

Frazier or Arenado

d'Arnaud. Hit 13HR in only 385AB with an awful average last season. Pumped his average up before the injury and already had 2 in 41AB. Should be a lock for something like 18-20HR this season with a good, if not great, average.

Frazier or Arenado

Arenado

heres one just for shts n giggles:

Teheran vs Strasburg ROS

Ross. Better ball-park, just the more dominant pitcher IMO.

Strasburg or JoFer ROS/Playoffs (h2h points redraft) ?

Ross. Better ball-park, just the more dominant pitcher IMO.

Strasburg or JoFer ROS/Playoffs (h2h points redraft) ?

ROS Strasburg....starting from when JoFer comes back id say Jose puts up better numbers

Trevor Plouffe or Cameron Maybin

I like Plouffe. Hitting cleanup, solid.

Dee Gordon or Kolton Wong ROS/playoffs (Points) ?

I like Plouffe. Hitting cleanup, solid.

Dee Gordon or Kolton Wong ROS/playoffs (Points) ?

Gordon. Way more SB potential, could push for 70.

Heyward or CarGo?

CarGo sucks but Heyward has always been a avg bat at best.... I'd go with CarGo

Kang or Semien ROS (no Rs, yes OBP and SLG)???

CarGo sucks but Heyward has always been a avg bat at best.... I'd go with CarGo

Kang or Semien ROS (no Rs, yes OBP and SLG)???

They both have questions about playing time but I'd lean Semien. He should greatly outperform on OBP and hold his own on SLG.

Sale or Cole Hamels in redraft 5x5 QS league?

Lemme get Hamels. I think he gets traded & when it matters most, will be the ace you want. Less of an injury-risk too, IMO.

- Kang - More potent lineup. Doesn't have to worry about how bad his defense is.

Bauer or Salazar ROS/playoffs (h2h points) ?

Bauer I am thinking. The consistency is the only reason I am picking him. Salazar has far more upside, and any given game could come out and just pitch out of his mind- no hitter any given day type of pitcher, is I guess what I'm getting at.

With it being a H2H and playoffs, I trust Bauer more. I trust he'll contribute more (or still be contributing) when it comes time for your playoffs. And I trust he should net more W's than Salazar, which probably matters more for H2H(?... I'm more of a roto guy lately)...

---

Matt Holliday or Billy Hamilton, 5x5 w/ standard stats. OBP > AVG though. (Bare in mind Holliday has reached base in all 44 games he has appeared in.) Would Holliday hold up long enough to continue amassing value compared to Hamilton who is more of a 2-trick pony albeit one with a really good trick... that's what I am wondering...both players rank similarly in the low 100s in the player pool. ROS?

(redraft BTW)

Awesome respond @LAMF. Gotta love those types.

- I like Holliday. I just have more faith in him keeping up his game than BHam trying to pick up his. Better lineup too.

Hammel or Salazar ROS/playoffs (h2h points) ?

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=521615&st=0&p=5505737#entry5505737

Hammel, for sure. I love him. I had a chance to $1/last pick on him, and wound up using it on someone else like Khris Davis. Kicking myself.

Hammel is 200ip tested, the Cubs should be in the race, and he is their #3 and a very good #3 by all practical purposes. I don't even feel like a sub-3.00 ERA is unheard of. Let me note, I am a Cubs fan of over 25+ now, and grew up on the North side, lived in Wrigleyville yada yada... so there may be some bias. But most Cubs fans who know a thing about a thing or two are less biased than others, and if anything, more negative towards Cubs and owning them in fantasy. (We're a buncha pessimists from history's perspective, and it's pretty much true for most fans and I can hardly blame 'em, especially the elderly 70-somethings who still have season tickets.)

I consider myself a realist... I think they will be competing for a wild card, or division tie come September. Hammel is far less risky than Salazar is... although I consider CLE a Sept. team, who will be fighting to get in as well. But I do not consider Salazar a wise investment past August... I would be selling on him in redrafts at the deadline for a more stable pitcher just for the ROS, personally. If I owned him that is. LOVE his potential and next year he is going to really break out I think, and IMO CLE will be a force in 2016... not so much this season...but I digress. I trust Hammel a lot more to go deep into the year (his run with the A's was a farce, and he was monkeyed with... look at his ERA while in a Cubs uniform from last year, now this- in fact, I'll post it momentarily in an edit- and you can see it is no fluke Hammel is having success. Career high 11K last night as well. He has looked filthy all year, has a fantastic k/bb ratio (66:7 or something wild like that). He also pitched for Maddon when younger, in TB... that could very well help even more. He has spoken to the effect that he feels VERY comfortable pitching in Chicago, which is why I think he re-signed this off-season with such little noise... almost like a handshake agreement, the Cubs would try to sign him after his tenure in OAK. (Just a theory there.) But he obviously has pitched good while in a Cubs uniform, and has always had some of that unharnessed stuff. He's just 31 and it isn't unheard of for later breakouts for SP. He spent a ton of time in Coors it feels like too...

Hammel for sure if you can't tell.. haha. But I'm happy you enjoy the content in replies- some people just want the tidbits and summarizing bores and annoys me, since I work a damn job as an online note-taker part-time. lol

----

another B-Hamilton one... and I want to note, he has sb in 4 straight- or had- and his ovr has gone up to around 80 in the pool, while it had been around 110.

I made this offer about a wk ago, it sat and sat, and then I withdrew it in case his guy were to have gotten hurt and he hit accept. I'd hate to put myself in that place and never let it even become a chance... cuz I know sleazy managers will take advantage and hit accept if it's sitting, and it is fair game I guess...

So I offered Hamilton for JD Mart, speed-for-power. JD is ranked about 90-95 right now, Hamilton 75-85... I think both are on odd numbers in those areas. He re-sent my offer back at me. But now I'm on the fence, since Hamilton has been playing better. Both are top-100 players.

So, obp league but otherwise standard 5x5 with 1200ip limit etc. & 12 teams: B.Hamilton or JD Mart?

(& if anyone is feeling generous, I'll also help them too... JD Martinez or Holliday ROS if anyone wants to be double nice... ;) )

@ Nebula, I wanted to correct myself but can't edit right now. I was wrong, he actually isn't 200ip tested- close, but not ever quite 200. I think a lot of it was a product of the teams he was on. He also has turned into a different pitcher... or the Cubs have found something in him.

Last year prior to going to OAK, over 108ip (approx?) he had a 2.98 ERA, 1.02 whip, and an 8.6 k/9....

This year, over 67 IP he has a 69:7 k/bb ratio, a k/9 over 9 per, a 2.82 ERA, and .86 whip (I think).

To put into perspective his time away from the Cubs in between w/ OAK, in 67.2 IP over his run there last year, his numbers were far less impressive- 5.10 era, 1.28 whip, 7.8 k/9 and his walk rate went up... almost the same amount of innings he has pitched to date this season, with the Cubs.

His K/BB over his partial season with chicago and this year's stats to date is absurd: 173/30 over 175.2 ip...

He'd been on pace for 200 before the deal and fizzle out with oak, so I think he is a safe bet to hold up. The lack of innings seemed more situational, and he has matured beyond those years in BAL or COL and TB obv.

Go with Hammel man!

Haha, just a fantastic, golden response. Big thanks. Yeah I was already leaning Hammel but now you've certainly convinced me & everyone else! :D

- IMO those guys are fairly interchangeable & could go either way. My quick rank: Holliday, BHam, JDM. Kinda depends on needs - Holliday for all-around/avg, BHam for speed, JDM for power.

Right on man! Glad I could help. Hammel and the Cubs... Bosio seems to have helped him figure something out, or he is just super comfy in Wrigley/Chicago/as a Cubs player, etc....

I agree w/ your assessment too. I kind of hope to acquire Holliday, in order to spin him for a SP. But it might be hard to pull that off in a timely manner before the SP is dealt to someone else... With that in mind and knowing that there are a few "big arms" out there, what would you take ROS?

Cueto or Sonny Gray?
Shelby Miller or Cueto? (or basically the 3.. would you also go Gray, Cueto, Miller?...for the most upside ROS and most likely to pitch deep into the year health or otherwise)

I think the answer on the surface is Gray but I don't know... A's being bad, and not following the other 2 pitchers has me in Q.

BTW, thanks for all the help to date Nebula :) More people need to help out on the 'whir' front. I appreciate all of your input!

Miller is pitching out of his mind right now and getting very lucky (unsustainably low .215 BABIP, 84.8% strand rate, 6.3% hr rate) and is due for some major regression going forward. Gray and Cueto are both on another level and you're completely right in thinking Miller can't keep this up.

Deciding between Gray and Cueto ROS is a lot trickier.

They have very similar projections, about the same K/9, and I would expect close to the same run support going forward. Neither team has what I would call an explosive offense.

Examining Cueto first, the past few years he has outperformed his peripherals and consistently posts a sub 3.00 era with an above 3 FIP because he's so good at inducing weak contact (low BABIP) and stranding runners at an above average rate. This year is no different although I could actually argue that he's getting a little bit unlucky. His 76.3% strand rate is a little low for his standards, by the end of the year I would bet on that climbing to about 80-82% based on his recent history. I think it's safe to project close to the same stats he put up last year for the ROS with a few less wins. His stuff is still dirty and he's as consistent as they come.

Gray on the other hand has been downright dominant this year and a lot of the experts/guys at FG seemed to have seen it coming. Elite peripherals to back up his early season production. I loved Cueto preseason and have him on both of my teams and I wasn't nearly as high on Gray because he's really young, put up good but not amazing K numbers last year, and didn't have a proven track record like a lot of the other top 10-15 SP. But I would trade Cueto for Gray straight up at this point. I think Cueto is a little safer, but in terms of ROS upside I like Gray. I see him winning at least 18 games and really wouldn't be surprised if his ERA remained sub 2.00 all year.

Grandal or Norris ROS?

Ugh, I had typed up a better reply than the one I am about to give, but hit back on accident and it erased it (didn't save for some reason like it usually does, either- so I couldn't restore it). Thank you for your response first and foremost.

In a nutshell to what was going to say, Norris is my safer pick but I love Grandal's run potential in that lineup. Still so, with Myers back, Norris in the 2-hole with Upton behind him and I gotta believe Kemp will get it going eventually, he is still going to produce. I like Norris as the safer pick with some upside still- he is 5 HR away from meeting a new career high already. But Grandal in that lineup, with his on base skills... if he is healthy, no lingering concussion symptoms or further issues....

Really hard to pick. Like 'em both a lot- and if not for owning Vogt (which had allowed me to sell off Gattis), I'd probably have targeted one of Norris/Grandal (probably Norris to be honest...) early in the year. I think Norris is 2nd only to Vogt right now in C rankings, for what that is worth. I would probably break it down to OBP or AVG league? If it's OBP, I like Grandal's superior OBP and his lineup will do him no harm. If it's AVG, the safer pick with upside to boot would be Norris, and I love him batting 2 in that order.

Grandal for OBP/Norris for AVG. It's really hard to pick other than separating it right there for me.

---

OBP league- assuming both do their thing at their respective positions (hitting HR and getting on base, and hitting for AVG/getting on base & stealing bases, respectfully), who would you go with ROS?: 1B Joey Votto, or 2B Dee Gordon? OBP league. (& Realizing that Gordon comes with no power. Factor position scarcity into the pick if you'd like.)

(Bonus one, need not a response- just curious...ROS: Matt Harvey or Sonny Gray?)

The thing Votto is that I don't believe the power to be real. After that 3HR game he is on pace for ~35 homers give or take...but I think he stays under 30 for the year..more closer to 25. That gives him around 12-13 HRs ROS. With Votto though I think you could expect close to a 400 OBP and a bunch of RBIS.

This is almost the opposite of Dee who's average is likely to come down it seems (will probably be around 290), but who's speed is here to stay. He could get you around 2 steals a week, and sometimes even 4+. He just has that ability to win you the category that week, which can't be said for Votto.

Therefore, I have to go with Dee Gordon, especially considering the position. You could grab someone like Ben Paulsen, Steve Pearce (i think he'll eventually come around), LaRoche or Howard for cheap power.

And Gray>Harvey...although I may be a bit bias as I am a Gray owner.

Drew Hutchinson or Mike Bolsinger ?

Norris, d'Arnaud, and then Wieters... in that order...

Who would you rather for the ROS at 2B or MI: Joe Panic or Roughned Odor? (5x5 OBP roto league)

(bonus if anyone wants to be a champ: Better hold for potential CL gig/SV chances- Carter Capps or Bobby Parnell?)