Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Darcmenace

My Top Movies of All Time

Honorable Mentions:

Fresh (1994); "Michael (or Fresh as he's well known) is a 12-year-old drug pusher who lives in a crowded house with his cousins and aunt. His father has become a street bum, but still meets with fresh on occasion to play chess. Fresh is rather quiet in a crazy world. Fresh' sister is a junkie who sleeps with the dealers that Fresh sells for. As the story progresses Fresh realizes that he doesn't want to sell drugs anymore, he wants revenge." - IMDB Plot Summary

Seven Samurai (1956); I wanted to include it in my original top 25, as I think the film is nearly perfect. Just some minor things lost in translation to me held me back.

Honorable Mentions:

Fresh (1994); "Michael (or Fresh as he's well known) is a 12-year-old drug pusher who lives in a crowded house with his cousins and aunt. His father has become a street bum, but still meets with fresh on occasion to play chess. Fresh is rather quiet in a crazy world. Fresh' sister is a junkie who sleeps with the dealers that Fresh sells for. As the story progresses Fresh realizes that he doesn't want to sell drugs anymore, he wants revenge." - IMDB Plot Summary

Seven Samurai (1956); I wanted to include it in my original top 25, as I think the film is nearly perfect. Just some minor things lost in translation to me held me back.

Never heard of it. Was it a low budget movie? Sounds like a good storyline.

Never heard of it. Was it a low budget movie? Sounds like a good storyline.

It has the feel of an indie film. Check out the details on it's IMDB link below. Sean Nelson is AMAZING as the title character who basically manipulates people around him as if they were pieces on a chess board. Samuel Jackson plays the homeless dad & you know he's always great. The film also features one of the most memorable & psychologically meaningful final images.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109842/

Other Honorable Mentions:

Run Lola Run (1998): The film follows the events between a woman, Lola, and her boyfriend, Mani, who she desperately tries to save from death by helping him obtain in a short amount of time a huge amount of money he carelessly lost. It takes you on three different journeys with Lola, all controlled by fate, showing you what would happen in each, and all the "what if's" that provide the foundations for each outcome. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130827/

Honorable Mentions:

saw that movie at least 20 times as a teenager. how could i forget?

"i got the stupid juice, i bust the stupid moves"

chuck E was a playground legend.

saw that movie at least 20 times as a teenager. how could i forget?

"i got the stupid juice, i bust the stupid moves"

chuck E was a playground legend.

LOL! Chuck E. was memorable indeed! One of my fav lines is, "You Michael, huh? I guess you used up all the ugly in the family."

i thought there was a top 10 thread somewhere? anyway, heres my 10 favorite movies of all time:

1) Goodfellas

2) Meet the Parents

3) Rain Man

4) Trading Places

5) The Karate Kid

6) Godfather II

7) Godfather I

8) Texas Chainsaw Massarce (1974)

9) Pulp Fiction

10) Young Frankenstein

I'm gonna throw another movie out that I never hear mentioned. It probably doesn't crack my top 25 but I think Backdraft is an awesome movie.

I'm gonna throw another movie out that I never hear mentioned. It probably doesn't crack my top 25 but I think Backdraft is an awesome movie.

Are you sure you didn't mean to put this in the "bad movies that you love" thread...?

I avoided this for so long and it is near impossible to narrow it down so here is some of my all time fave's...In no order.

The Usual Suspects

Titanic

Blow

Star Wars (1st trilogy)

True Romance (super underated movie)

Goodfellas

Good Will Hunting

Tombstone

American History X

Primal Fear

Fight Club

Dazed and Confused (Shocked I have not seen this mentioned at least once)

E.T.

Raging Bull

Schindlers List

Casablanca

Scarface

The Shawshank Redemption

The Godfather I and II

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

The Departed

The Shining

The Wizard of Oz

Fargo

Cool Hand Luke

Sweeney Todd

Raging Bull

Reservoir Dogs

Saving Private Ryan

The Last Samurai

Ok well I could easily keep going on and on but these are all "great" movies and if you have not seen one of them rent it.

Are you sure you didn't mean to put this in the "bad movies that you love" thread...?

I don't think Backdraft is bad at all.... although it has been about 8 years since i've seen it. I got it coming on netflix so maybe my opinion will be a little differnt.

Ok, I've definitely have got to revive this thread in wake of my new desire and taste for higher quality movies (at least in my opinion). If anyone can remember my old a** and largely immature (at least compared to now) list a few pages back, you will notice that I've began to seriously get a better understanding of a "good" movie.

I had to do a top 35. I just had to:

1. Saving Private Ryan

2. Pulp Fiction

3. The Usual Suspects

4. Leon, The Professional

5. The Departed

6. Good Will Hunting

7. L.A. Confidential

8. The Prestige

9. Aliens

10. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

11. Slumdog Millionaire

12. V for Vendetta

13. Fight Club

14. Up

15. Memento

16. Lucky Number Slevin

17. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

18. Silence of the Lambs

19. The Dark Knight

20. Stranger than Fiction

21. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

22. Se7en

23. The Terminator

24. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

25. 12 Angry Men

26. Office Space

27. Starship Troopers

28. Star Wars: A New Hope

29. Heat

30. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

31. 300

32. Full Metal Jacket

33. Forrest Gump

34. Midnight Run

35. Airplane!

Missed out:

No Country For Old Men (I need to rewatch it, but despite missing most of Tommy Lee Jones' monologues, I still thought it was good from what I saw), Atonement, The Dirty Dozen, American Psycho (I didn't finish it, lol)

Ok, I've definitely have got to revive this thread in wake of my new desire and taste for higher quality movies (at least in my opinion). If anyone can remember my old a** and largely immature (at least compared to now) list a few pages back, you will notice that I've began to seriously get a better understanding of a "good" movie.

I had to do a top 35. I just had to:

1. Saving Private Ryan

2. Pulp Fiction

3. The Usual Suspects

4. Leon, The Professional

5. The Departed

6. Good Will Hunting

7. L.A. Confidential

8. The Prestige

9. Aliens

10. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

11. Slumdog Millionaire

12. V for Vendetta

13. Fight Club

14. Up

15. Memento

16. Lucky Number Slevin

17. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

18. Silence of the Lambs

19. The Dark Knight

20. Stranger than Fiction

21. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

22. Se7en

23. The Terminator

24. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

25. 12 Angry Men

26. Office Space

27. Starship Troopers

28. Star Wars: A New Hope

29. Heat

30. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

31. 300

32. Full Metal Jacket

33. Forrest Gump

34. Midnight Run

35. Airplane!

Missed out:

No Country For Old Men (I need to rewatch it, but despite missing most of Tommy Lee Jones' monologues, I still thought it was good from what I saw), Atonement, The Dirty Dozen, American Psycho (I didn't finish it, lol)

Solid list. I'm a film fanatic, so my list could go on & on. I have not seen the new film Up, but that's quite some praise. And what about The Empire Strikes Back? No love for my fav of the trilogy? B)

Solid list. I'm a film fanatic, so my list could go on & on. I have not seen the new film Up, but that's quite some praise. And what about The Empire Strikes Back? No love for my fav of the trilogy? B)

When "Up" was first released, I was mildy interested if at all. Then after the opening weekend, it shot up on the imdb top 250 charts at number 12 (not completely reliable, but at least a bit helpful in distinguishing some of the best movies of all time). Upon hearing that "Up" was at least somewhat deserving of it's heavenly ranking, I gained interest. I finally saw it with my girlfriend (her second time watching) and I was wowed. Fantastic movie to say the least and it takes you on an emotional rollercoaster. Yes, it's that good. Watch it if you can.

The reason why Empire Strikes Back was not on my top list wasn't because I didn't like it. But rather due to a number of factors:

1. Way too young to understand the themes of the movie.

2. I had no surprise in learning that Darth was his father, since that's all people would quote and there was no shock for me at all.

Pretty much when I rewatched it, it didn't have the same effect on me. It's still a really good movie in my eyes, but not so much my favorite.

When "Up" was first released, I was mildy interested if at all. Then after the opening weekend, it shot up on the imdb top 250 charts at number 12 (not completely reliable, but at least a bit helpful in distinguishing some of the best movies of all time). Upon hearing that "Up" was at least somewhat deserving of it's heavenly ranking, I gained interest. I finally saw it with my girlfriend (her second time watching) and I was wowed. Fantastic movie to say the least and it takes you on an emotional rollercoaster. Yes, it's that good. Watch it if you can.

The reason why Empire Strikes Back was not on my top list wasn't because I didn't like it. But rather due to a number of factors:

1. Way too young to understand the themes of the movie.

2. I had no surprise in learning that Darth was his father, since that's all people would quote and there was no shock for me at all.

Pretty much when I rewatched it, it didn't have the same effect on me. It's still a really good movie in my eyes, but not so much my favorite.

Sounds good. I am sure I'll see Up at some point.

The Empire Strikes Back though had some of my favorite scenes & lines. I esp. liked Luke's Jedi training where we can also share in the lessons. For ex., Luke says, "I'll try," to which Yoda responds, "Do or do not. There is no try." Another one is when Luke sees Yoda lift his ship from the swamp w/ his mind, so Luke says, " I don't believe it" and Yoda replies, "That is why you fail."

Guest ciderjack6

Damn, 5 pages and not one mention of "The Apartment" by Billy Wilder? One of my all time faves, check it out.

Damn, 5 pages and not one mention of "The Apartment" by Billy Wilder? One of my all time faves, check it out.

I remember liking but haven't seen it in a LOOOOOOng time. Would be nice to see it again.

You guys have no idea how difficult it is to get a copy of older movies. I can't tell you how many stores have failed to carry "Chinatown" or "Dr. Strangelove". Both of which I've been seeking for a loooooooooooong time.

You guys have no idea how difficult it is to get a copy of older movies. I can't tell you how many stores have failed to carry "Chinatown" or "Dr. Strangelove". Both of which I've been seeking for a loooooooooooong time.

Oh, I LOVE Dr. Strangelove & I own the DVD. The humor is very dry & witty, so it never fails to crack me up. I also enjoyed Chinatown which has a lot going on in that plot. Ah, you gotta get Netflix!

My favorites

Casablanca

The Big Sleep

The Maltese Falcon

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)

North by Northwest

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Caddyshack

Star Wars

Raiders of the Lost Ark

From Russia With Love

Clerks

Double Indemnity

The Bride of Frankenstein

Animal House

The Seventh Seal

Sunset Blvd

True Grit

The Big Lebowski

King Kong (1933 version)

Bringing Up baby

My favorites

Casablanca

The Big Sleep

The Maltese Falcon

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)

North by Northwest

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Caddyshack

Star Wars

Raiders of the Lost Ark

From Russia With Love

Clerks

Double Indemnity

The Bride of Frankenstein

Animal House

The Seventh Seal

Sunset Blvd

True Grit

The Big Lebowski

King Kong (1933 version)

Bringing Up baby

Now THIS...this is a good list. I can only find minor quibbles with it. Great taste, sir!

Oh, I LOVE Dr. Strangelove & I own the DVD. The humor is very dry & witty, so it never fails to crack me up. I also enjoyed Chinatown which has a lot going on in that plot. Ah, you gotta get Netflix!

Haha... coincidentally enough, I've just signed up for Netflix! B)

in no particular order:

- Good Will Hunting

- Collateral

- Stand By Me

*bonus - A Bronx Tale

1. "Leon" - aka "The Professional" (best movie ever made. ever.)

2. Shawshank Redemption

3. The Incredibles