Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blazer

2014 Forum Grumpy Index

Not been posting much lately 'cause you get your head bit off recently ...

Anyone else notice this?

Why is this?

What up FF peeps? Chill a bit .. we are all in the same boat ... say a kind word once in awhile ... :ph34r:

I seldom post on the football message board anymore because of it.

Still read the threads a decent amount but the pissing match syndrome is strong with the football board.

I am the main culprit for this. You caught me red handed.

I think this is just that time of year where owners are pretty stressful because it's sort of do or die time. You either have to go on that 3 or 4 game win streak or you won't make the playoffs sort of thing. Add in that many of us, me included, take this thing way too seriously, and you have a lot of angry and stressful people.

I just take this thing way too seriously. FF is supposed to be fun, but competition and saying "it's okay not to win. It's just for fun," type of mentality never agreed with me.

I think this is just that time of year where owners are pretty stressful because it's sort of do or die time. You either have to go on that 3 or 4 game win streak or you won't make the playoffs sort of thing. Add in that many of us, me included, take this thing way too seriously, and you have a lot of angry and stressful people.

I just take this thing way too seriously. FF is supposed to be fun, but competition and saying "it's okay not to win. It's just for fun," type of mentality never agreed with me.

That's an honest response, thank you. But, it seems much higher this year. Perhaps the large amount of rd #1 #2 busts explains some of it ..

Fantasy is serious business; it's a fake game based on another game of dudes throwing leather and running around.

I think it's a few of things.

1) I think the forums and popularity and membership of them has increased 10 fold. The partnership with Yahoo I'm sure has opened up Rotoworld to millions of people that otherwise never would have heard of the site.

2) With that brings a lot broader range of member. Previously, a large majority of the members here knew what they were talking about. To even know about this site in the first place, then know about the forums, and then take the time to be active you had to be something more than Joe Schmo Yahoo free league player. With that Yahoo partnership expansion I think it has brought a lot of people here who honestly have no idea what the hell they are talking about and it brings frustration to other people. Example, someone in the Julio Jones thread said that "he only knows how to run deep routes." What kind of commentary or input is that, so the quality of the content here has started to be watered down. If you need proof of this just head over to the wild wild west of the AC thread. I used to LOVE and respect the opinions of fellow AC members 2 or 3 years ago. I won't even go in there now.

3) As a previous poster said, a lot of people are on edge in general as we come down the home stretch. We all have different opinions on players, some are right and some are wrong but they all impact our team's success which at the end of the day is the only reason that all of us are here in the first place.

4) If my theory on the increased membership is true then it also increases the potential of cyber thugs. We all know the trolls that just want to argue instead of making a point and trying to back it up with facts or logic.

I love these forums, I won't be leaving anytime soon, but from an objective view the overall quality has been on a downward trend and I started to notice once the Yahoo partnership happened. I'm not blaming anyone, it was a move that Rotoworld HAD to make given the opportunity. This is a business and that exposure leads to $$$, but I think some members(myself included) just get frustrated with the non-sense that gets posted in a lot of these threads. I know this might come across as harsh but just my honest opinion.

This forum peaked with the OG Jackie Battle thread, there was nowhere to go but down from there.

But seriously, what GottaGetTheWin said is spot on. With the huge increase of members and traffic, you get a lot more quantity and a lot less quality. Still, these forums are a big part of me enjoying fantasy every year, game day threads are excellent to share moments with fellow fantasy owners.

I remember in 2012 when NBC got hacked and the forums were down for over a month, Sunday's just weren't the same.

That's an honest response, thank you. But, it seems much higher this year. Perhaps the large amount of rd #1 #2 busts explains some of it ..

It could be. Odd year for so many early round disappointments that many owners put a lot of stock in prior to the start of the season and during their drafts.

Another thing to look at is the timing of these angry posts and what not. I bet there are a lot more earlier in the week after a tough loss. As the week goes on, I bet it will calm a little, only for it to go right back up early next week. Add in the early week disappointment after a must win since we are in the home stretch here and this is what happens.

I will try to tone it down though. I mean, the main thing we all have to remember is that once we set our lineups, the rest is out of our control. I can't control where or how many TD's Aaron Rodgers will throw against the Bears this weekend. It's just out of our control and we shouldn't worry about it so much. No one is Nostradamus here and can predict that so and so will have a monster week and another guy will have a dud. All you can do is literally set your lineup each week with the best players in your opinion and then just hope for the best. That's basically it. I know it stinks because we want to be able to control it so we win every week, but that's just not the case.

I remember in 2012 when NBC got hacked and the forums were down for over a month, Sunday's just weren't the same.

O man, I remember that. Was a tough couple weeks without the boards. Certainly has become part of my daily routine.

I thought the same thing. I don't think I've posted more than 10 times this season. Lots of anger around the forums this year.

I think it's a few of things.

1) I think the forums and popularity and membership of them has increased 10 fold. The partnership with Yahoo I'm sure has opened up Rotoworld to millions of people that otherwise never would have heard of the site.

2) With that brings a lot broader range of member. Previously, a large majority of the members here knew what they were talking about. To even know about this site in the first place, then know about the forums, and then take the time to be active you had to be something more than Joe Schmo Yahoo free league player. With that Yahoo partnership expansion I think it has brought a lot of people here who honestly have no idea what the hell they are talking about and it brings frustration to other people. Example, someone in the Julio Jones thread said that "he only knows how to run deep routes." What kind of commentary or input is that, so the quality of the content here has started to be watered down. If you need proof of this just head over to the wild wild west of the AC thread. I used to LOVE and respect the opinions of fellow AC members 2 or 3 years ago. I won't even go in there now.

3) As a previous poster said, a lot of people are on edge in general as we come down the home stretch. We all have different opinions on players, some are right and some are wrong but they all impact our team's success which at the end of the day is the only reason that all of us are here in the first place.

4) If my theory on the increased membership is true then it also increases the potential of cyber thugs. We all know the trolls that just want to argue instead of making a point and trying to back it up with facts or logic.

I love these forums, I won't be leaving anytime soon, but from an objective view the overall quality has been on a downward trend and I started to notice once the Yahoo partnership happened. I'm not blaming anyone, it was a move that Rotoworld HAD to make given the opportunity. This is a business and that exposure leads to $$$, but I think some members(myself included) just get frustrated with the non-sense that gets posted in a lot of these threads. I know this might come across as harsh but just my honest opinion.

Excellent analysis, and agree.

O man, I remember that. Was a tough couple weeks without the boards. Certainly has become part of my daily routine.

Oddly enough I believe today marked the 2-year anniversary of that hack job.

This forum peaked with the OG Jackie Battle thread, there was nowhere to go but down from there.

But seriously, what GottaGetTheWin said is spot on. With the huge increase of members and traffic, you get a lot more quantity and a lot less quality. Still, these forums are a big part of me enjoying fantasy every year, game day threads are excellent to share moments with fellow fantasy owners.

Things kind of peaked for me with the Storm Johnson thread. People were just getting silly crazy with their posts and not shy about it, one big lovefest, but something changed after the 2014 Jonas Gray Outlook thread. Can't quite put my finger on it, except that vague sense that for some people the season is already over and they have accepted it with a quiet resignation or, at the other end of the spectrum, have become incredibly bitter and lash out angrily at slightest hint of optimism from any poster who thinks that Mark Sanchez might save their season......actually that is pretty ****ing annoying. What a bunch of ****ing losers.

I chalk it up to a ton of disappointments on draft day. A lot of people are aggravated at the way the seasons gone, from Rice, to AP, to McCoy, to Calvin to all the studs/decent players who have been stinkers the entire season for one reason or another. When you have a great draft according to all the experts and any reasonable evaluation and then wind up 1-8 for reasons completely beyond your control, it puts everyone in a foul mood. Most of the owners in my money league drafted what looked like decent teams. It should have been a competitive year but three or four teams are just killing it, and the rest are getting smoked every week, lol. Im sure lots of leagues are the same. Right now, its week 10, and the regular season is already over for the most part in my league. Its just jockeying for the top seeds now. I've never seen that before so soon.

I think this is just that time of year where owners are pretty stressful because it's sort of do or die time. You either have to go on that 3 or 4 game win streak or you won't make the playoffs sort of thing.

Thats only for the crappy teams

Another reason- fantasy football is just for 90% of the time a miserable experience. I give you the 300 page vent thread and the 4 page celebration thread.

Football on a game to game basis is IMPOSSIBLE to predict so every week there's just a massive amount of stuff that goes wrong. And even when you win its often not that fun either because you have injuries or guys underpeforming etc. There's just a lot to be miserable about when it comes to fantasy football.

I'm pretty happy. I'm really great at fantasy football though.

The fantasy football forum is by far and away the worst. The fantasy football forum has a much larger pool of posters and a ton of people who don't know much about the game, but watch it casually and have a fantasy team. That's fine, but when you compare it to RW 3-4 years ago, where most posters were pretty knowledgeable, then it's a shock to the system. The baseball forum, for example, is much better because a lot of long-time posters still post there and baseball tends to attract less casual fans. It's a much smaller pool of posters in the baseball forum, so it's easier to have more in-depth discussions and analysis. The basketball forum is probably in the middle. It's a smaller pool of posters, but unfortunately a lot of the long-time posters haven't stuck around.

I think the biggest problem with the football forum is this. A lot of the discussion is boiled down to, "The player I own is better than the player you own, so let's just argue about it." It's grown men having a variation of the "My dad could beat up your dad" argument.

Its nothing new. Everyone knows this. Its almost clockwork that FF rolls around and that place gets watered down. I just go there for gameday threads. Those are so much fun! Anyways the forums IMO go Baseball>Basketball >>>>>>>Football. Baseball is by far the best because of how many numbers and metrics are used to back up an argument. Football is the most popular fantasy sport so it should have the most people posting in that forum. Don't worry about it, it'll get better in a couple weeks.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, November 7, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, November 7, 2014 - No reason given

the thing that pisses me off the most and i ranted about it in the fantasy feedback section yesterday (mods deleted it without addressing me or giving me ANY feedback...) is like above poster said...it's so watered down. why are there infinite cool story essays on a daily basis in every thread?? i also gather there's a ton of new members in there; but do we need more mods in there? the baseball forums seemed to run a tight ship (too tight at times..); is that because the "mod:# of posters" ratio was at a healthy level?? or is it the mods are policing the FFB forum differently (more leniently) than the FBB forums.

if we erased most of the CSB references to their own team posts in there, the traffic would easily be cut in half. (possibly a slight exaggeration but my point is clear).

as far as the anger, it doesn't bother me personally. i hope none of you are getting offended by people belittling your fantasy opinion. i am definitely guilty of this at times, but PERSONALLY i'd rather those kind of back and forth's than "oh yeah he's great...i know man, especially with this new coach...right? he's always had the upside..." etc etc of "positivity" and no counter-stances as if everyone's opinion is correct. i think it's productive to hear both sides and maybe why one's opinion is "silly". makes for more fun later too when quoting someone that was so pompous after taking a big L hah

I experienced a little bit of the name-calling and sarcasm in the baseball forums, but at my age I don't let it get to me much anymore. Now 10-15 years ago when I was very active on another message board things got very heated. Then again, that was in threads that focused on religion or politics which we don't see around here. I always think it is silly to get heated in a sports-related thread.

Problem is the football board has way to much AC and cool story bro posts. 1 out of every 5 posts is informational, if that. Hard to find real info. I think 80% of the people on there just want to get info for their team on who to add/drop and start each week, rather than add to the conversation. I love the baseball threads because that junk is filtered. People posting there add to the quality of information. Just look at the threads in there right now, a lot of great information. And it stays like that throughout the year. Impossible to say that for 95% of the player threads in football.

It's better during the off-season, most of the losers go away.

The quality of discussion has definitely declined though, I joined back in 2009 and the difference is like night and day. Every single thread is filled with cool stories.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, July 15, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, July 15, 2015 - No reason given

Too bad this thread got banished to the dungeon. Was a great topic.