Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Yoan Moncada - IF CWS

According to MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez, Cuban defector Yoan Moncada is waiting for OFAC clearances and could begin private workouts for teams within the next two weeks.

Moncada is one of the most highly coveted international prospects. The 19-year-old has drawn comparisons to the likes of Javier Baez and Yasiel Puig. After he is cleared by the Office of Foreign Asset and Control (OFAC), he'll start working with teams. His contract could land somewhere in the range of $30-40 million. Teams present to watch his "batting showcase" earlier this year included the Braves, Red Sox, Yankees, Giants, Rays, Padres and Cubs.

Sorry if I missed it, but would you expect him to be in the bigs quickly this year? Or, given his age, would he need some milb time?

Sorry if I missed it, but would you expect him to be in the bigs quickly this year? Or, given his age, would he need some milb time?

I expect him to start in A+, then move up to AA after about 30-40 games. Maybe a September call up, but doubt it.

This is assuming he signs before the season starts.

He's 19 years old. In all likelihood, he's at least a couple of years away.

According to MLBTradeRumors:

Dodgers Expected To Pursue Yoan Moncada

By Steve Adams [January 13, 2015 at 9:56pm CST]

To this point, the Yankees and Red Sox have been the teams most commonly connected to 19-year-old Cuban phenom Yoan Moncada, but MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez adds the Dodgers to the mix of clubs expected to make a serious run (Twitter link). According to Sanchez, the Dodgers “aggressively” pursued right-hander Yoan Lopez, and, having missed out on Lopez to the division-rival D-Backs, will now shift their focus to Moncada. Sanchez adds that a private workout for the Dodgers can be expected.

Fangraphs’ Kiley McDaniel has called the Yankees and Red Sox the “heavy favorites” to sign Moncada, but the Dodgers certainly possess the financial wherewithal to go toe-to-toe with both of those clubs in terms of spending. Los Angeles has invested heavily in Cuban players over the past 18 months, spending a combined $57MM on Alex Guerrero and Erisbel Arruebarrena. While those acquisitions were made under different management — Andrew Friedman, Farhan Zaidi and Josh Byrnes were tasked with leading a revamped baseball operations department this winter — the signings do show that ownership is willing to devote significant resources to the international market.

Moncada, of course, is expected to absolutely shatter Lopez’s record-setting bonus of $8.25MM; estimates on his signing bonus have ranged from $30-40MM. And, because clubs are required to pay a 100 percent tax for any spending that exceeds their assigned international bonus pools, the total outlay for Moncada could approach $80MM.

A switch-hitting infielder said to have four plus tools — hit, power, arm and speed — Moncada has been labeled by Baseball America’s Ben Badler as a potential franchise player. For the time being, however, Moncada cannot sign with any club, as he is still awaiting clearance from the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control, and there’s no word on a timeline for his approval.

If the OFAC clears him, he's free to sign with anyone - but not until then, and no one has any idea when that will be - could be tomorrow, could be another 6 months. If they wait until after June 2 to clear him, then teams like the Yankees & Red Sox are out of the running, because they've already passed the international signing cap - at which point they can't sign any international FA for more than 300K the next year or two (can't remember). This also ironically means that if you go over the cap, you might as well go ALL OUT and blow the cap by a mile - so yeah, NY or BOS seem like a favorite, along with all the big-market players.

The moment Moncada gets OFAC clearance, expect the buzz to be 100x greater than Puig, given how the recent Cuban defectors have succeeded, the positional eligibility, and his age.

With everyday that passes and Moncado goes without being cleared, the Cub's chances grow. They've had a small army scouting the guy from day one and if this drags out until late February or March I'd make them the favorites.

With everyday that passes and Moncado goes without being cleared, the Cub's chances grow. They've had a small army scouting the guy from day one and if this drags out until late February or March I'd make them the favorites.

Lol, spoken like a true Cubs' fan

Doubt the Cubs can or would even be willing to outbid the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers.

What about it isn't true other than the favorites which is obviously just an opinion? It's much easier to pay a guy to wait two months before signing then if he was eligible to be signed back in Dec.

Doubt the Cubs can or would even be willing to outbid the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers.

If Moncada isn't cleared until after June 2nd, Yankees and Red Sox are out. RotoRaysfan lays out the situation a few posts up much better than I could explain it. Wouldn't be able to sign him. The only chance the Cubs have is if this does drag out insanely long until after June 2nd.

That's a pretty large assumption with no basis to back it up considering the Cubs just beat out 2 of those 3 teams for Lester and also beat out all 3 of those teams for Jorge Soler.

That's a pretty large assumption with no basis to back it up considering the Cubs just beat out 2 of those 3 teams for Lester and also beat out all 3 of those teams for Jorge Soler.

And your assumption that the Cubs will be the favorites to land Moncada is based on what exactly?

If Moncada isn't cleared until after June 2nd, Yankees and Red Sox are out. RotoRaysfan lays out the situation a few posts up much better than I could explain it. Wouldn't be able to sign him. The only chance the Cubs have is if this does drag out insanely long until after June 2nd.

This isn't entirely true. All the Cubs have to do is pay him to wait until June 2nd to sign.The closer we get to June 2nd before he's cleared the more likely Moncada's agent is to be convinced to wait until after the deadline.

And your assumption that the Cubs will be the favorites to land Moncada is based on what exactly?

As I've said it's my opinion, but it's based on a insider/friend who has said that Theo/Jed are completely infatuated with him along with reports of the Cubs sending half a dozen scouts at a time to watch him on a handful of occasions. The Cubs also have a ton of new revenue coming in from the new signs that are being installed in Wrigley as well as the huge board and a minor TV deal that lasts until 2019 that was a significant upgrade over the old one.

Is that even allowed though? Pay a guy a certain amount of money per week until June 2nd to not sign, and then sign him when NYY and BOS are out. Sounds like something a little sketchy, but yet again, I'm no baseball rules genius.

Financially, I'd imagine Moncada's chances for the largest contract possible is to sign before June 2nd so NYY and BOS can have a shot at him. NYY, BOS, and LAD in a bidding war for an extremely hyped up 19 year old Cuban? That just sounds like the definition of money. Just seems counter productive for Moncada to wait until after June 2nd if he wants the biggest deal possible.

Paying him before June 2nd is definitely is definitely not allowed, but there's nothing saying they can't have a verbal under the table type deal. The Blue Jays have a verbal deal with Vlad Guerrero Jr. well ahead of his IFA period. The Cubs would just have to offer money up and beyond the others to convince Moncada to wait. Example being if the Yankees offer 35M, the Cubs could say we'll give you 35M plus another 3M if you wait until June 2nd.

As I've said it's my opinion, but it's based on a insider/friend who has said that Theo/Jed are completely infatuated with him along with reports of the Cubs sending half a dozen scouts at a time to watch him on a handful of occasions. The Cubs also have a ton of new revenue coming in from the new signs that are being installed in Wrigley as well as the huge board and a minor TV deal that lasts until 2019 that was a significant upgrade over the old one.

To be honest though, there were 90-100 scouts alone to watch Moncada's workout in Guatemala. Cubs weren't the only ones. Hell Scott Boras sent a group of guys who had to be taken away at gun point. Everyone and their mother was at his workout in Guatemala.

It's not that the Cubs have to make it so that NY or Boston can't bid on him, the Cubs and rangers can't sign him until after June 2nd because they are serving penalties right now for spending over their limits previously. If the Cubs didn't spend the money on Lester then it was possible they could overspend on Moncada but I doubt they would afford to do it now...that and it isn't exactly a position of need for them. I'm guessing the Yankees with there youth movement. I thought the Yankees were going to go after Lopez but they didn't. My guess is they are gearing up for Moncada.

Need doesn't matter with prospects. You collect talent and let it sort itself out. The Cubs didn't need a shortstop but they picked up Russell. You get the best talent where you can.

Paying him before June 2nd is definitely is definitely not allowed, but there's nothing saying they can't have a verbal under the table type deal. The Blue Jays have a verbal deal with Vlad Guerrero Jr. well ahead of his IFA period. The Cubs would just have to offer money up and beyond the others to convince Moncada to wait. Example being if the Yankees offer 35M, the Cubs could say we'll give you 35M plus another 3M if you wait until June 2nd.

Yeah. I'm sure the cubs are infatuated..as are the Dodgers/Yankees/Red Sox..pretty much most the teams..

Bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush. Yankees offering real big time money will trump "verbal agreements" Especially in this case where he is very much high profile and can play the field for the best offer. Yankees wouldn't let themselves lose out over a mere 3 Million in "verbal agreement" I seriously doubt that.

If he cleared before the next signing period.. Cubs are behind the 8-ball vs these teams. Cubs best chances are if he doesn't clear until its close enough..

Yeah. I'm sure the cubs are infatuated..as are the Dodgers/Yankees/Red Sox..pretty much most the teams..

Bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush. Yankees offering real big time money will trump "verbal agreements" Especially in this case where he is very much high profile and can play the field for the best offer. Yankees wouldn't let themselves lose out over a mere 3 Million in "verbal agreement" I seriously doubt that.

If he cleared before the next signing period.. Cubs are behind the 8-ball vs these teams. Cubs best chances are if he doesn't clear until its close enough..

These verbal agreements happen constantly with the young international kids. Most of the top 10 IFA guys know where they're going nearly a year before they even officially get signed. The Cubs had Gleybar Torres and Eloy Jiminez in a verbal agreement long before they were officially signed and they were the #1 and #2 IFA in their class. Vladimir Guerrero has a verbal agreement with the Blue Jays and will sign with them for 3.2M on July 2nd.

This guy is going to get $100 million, right?

I really doubt it. Remember that if a team basically has to pay for Moncada twice. Once to land him and again to pay the 100% penalty. My guess has been Moncada will get 30 to 40M not including that penalty.