Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Yoan Moncada - IF CWS

JMHO on where he signs...

If this kid is really as good as it looks like he may be I doubt the Yankees let him get signed by anyone else. The seriously lack big time/high upside impact young players in their system and being able to buy a guy like Moncada is exactly what they need.

Yes, they have guys like Judge, etc, but all reports are saying this kid is on a different level.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/will-yoan-moncada-rank-top-100/

So Moncada is a top 20 prospect. But how high up that list should he go? Seager is my No. 6 prospect in baseball, and there isn’t any disagreement internally here that Seager is one of the game’s truly elite prospects. Players like him are easy to evaluate. Would it surprise me if Moncada ended up becoming better than Seager? Absolutely not. But when it comes to picking one of them right now, the greater certainty level in Seager puts him ahead of Moncada on my board. No shame in that.

Then there’s Twins third baseman Miguel Sano. He’s not similar to Moncada in terms of skill set, but Sano, like Moncada, didn’t play at all in 2014. Whereas with Moncada it was because he stopped playing in Cuba and left the country, Sano missed the 2014 season due to Tommy John surgery. That isn’t a major concern for a position player, but it’s a year missed and a year removed from having seen him play in a competitive situation.

Sano hit .280/.382/.610 with 35 homers in 123 games between high Class A Fort Myers and Double-A New Britain in 2013, though he did strike out 27 percent of the time. Would you take Sano, the third baseman with 80 raw power and contact frequency concerns but a track record of hitting at Double-A, or Moncada, who has less of a track record and less raw power, but more speed and a more well-rounded skill set? I would lean toward Moncada, but it’s not an easy call.

Of the four Top 50 lists in the Prospect Handbook, we all have Sano ranked anywhere from No. 10 to No. 13. On my list, Sano is the No. 13 prospect. For me, that would put Moncada somewhere in the 7-12 range of prospects in the Top 100. Even if you prefer Sano to Moncada, at the very least, the two belong in the same territory on the Top 100.

I would laugh if the Cubs "slipped him some cash under the table to not sign with NYY or BOS," he waited, then signed with someone else, like the Dodgers. Cubs couldn't do anything about it.

Jesse Sanchez @JesseSanchezMLB · Jan 23

I do not have any idea on timetable, @brianros1. Moncada is waiting on US govt. clearance.

http://js.mlblogs.com/2015/01/20/moncada-works-out-for-teams/

According to industry sources, Moncada, 19, has held private workouts for the Brewers, Rangers, Giants, Yankees, Red Sox, and Padres in Florida. The Dodgers, Rays, Cubs, and Phillies are also showing strong interest.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v37163079/jesse-sanchez-on-yasmany-tomas-and-yoan-moncada

Sanchez says that the people he's talked to have compared him to Robinson Cano.

Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that MLB is requiring a written document from the Office Foreign Asset and Control (OFAC) before Yoan Moncada and other players from Cuba can sign with a team.

It has been reported that OFAC is holding up the process, but it's actually MLB who is making it harder for Cuban players to sign. Moncada has established permanent residence in Guatemala, so he has qualified for OFAC's "general license," which should suffice for him to sign with a team. However, MLB has required players to apply for the specific license, which is a written document from OFAC. This is the reason for the delay with Moncada and other Cuban defectors like Hector Olivera and Andy Ibanez. MLB used to do things differently, as Yaisel Puig didn't need the written document when he signed with the Dodgers, but it appears that MLB is protecting themselves from the possibility of players producing false residency papers.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada is close to being granted free agency after it's been determined he no longer needs a specific unblocking license.

One source told Passan that Moncada could gain free agency in as little as two weeks. Passan also adds that the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers are considered the favorites to sign the Cuban, with the Cubs also a possibility (though they'd have to wait until July 2 to sign him). According to the report, Moncada’s signing bonus "should exceed $30 million and could go much higher." The club that signs him will also have to pay a lot in penalties for going over the international spending limit.

It's taken 4 months just to realize he doesn't need a specific license?

The Yankees farm system is pretty bare, I think the new draft rules have had a sizable impact on their drafting ability... they have no answer at shortstop (I don't consider Didi an answer)... I see the Yankees opening their pockets and bringing him in. It makes the most sense to me.

The Yankees farm system is pretty bare, I think the new draft rules have had a sizable impact on their drafting ability... they have no answer at shortstop (I don't consider Didi an answer)... I see the Yankees opening their pockets and bringing him in. It makes the most sense to me.

Jorge Mateo is a really nice SS prospect, although he is a few years away.

whats the deal with this guy as far as time he will have to spend in the minors? I know he is young and He can't be signed until July 2nd so owners will have to grab him off waivers (in my league atleast because he can't be drafted) I plan on holding onto my $100 in bidding bucks and 1st waiver priority (hopefully) to snag this guy. I'm just curious if it's possible he spends 1-2+ years in the minors. It will suck to carry him on your active roster for that long but it sounds like it will be worth the wait.

whats the deal with this guy as far as time he will have to spend in the minors? I know he is young and He can't be signed until July 2nd so owners will have to grab him off waivers (in my league atleast because he can't be drafted) I plan on holding onto my $100 in bidding bucks and 1st waiver priority (hopefully) to snag this guy. I'm just curious if it's possible he spends 1-2+ years in the minors. It will suck to carry him on your active roster for that long but it sounds like it will be worth the wait.

I do not think that is accurate. I have stayed up on moncada for a while and unless I missed something significant he should sign prior to the start of the season. In fact I read yesterday (I think from ben badler) that he has a good shot to sign in the next 2 weeks.

Actually I am pretty sure Ben Badler said he could be cleared to sign within the next couple weeks. Teams will still have to put in there offers after that. I am just hoping he signs quick. Here's hoping that he is in the ESPN database before drafting starts.

If he's cleared in the next couple of weeks like Badler says he will be, he'll definitely sign before the season starts.

I'd prefer about one more month before he's cleared. If he makes it to March then having him wait until June to sign is no big deal.

Cant wait for the cubs to get this guy. its only a matter of time. Will he need time in the minors or should we expect at wrigley opening day?

^^^LOL at the Cubs' homers...but what else would you expect on this board?

Even if it takes another month for him to get cleared, which seems like the absolute max at this point, do you honestly believe he'll just sit there twiddling his thumbs for all of March, April, May, and June, patiently waiting so the Cubs can offer him the same thing that 10+ other teams already have? News flash: You're not that special.

Cant wait for the cubs to get this guy. its only a matter of time. Will he need time in the minors or should we expect at wrigley opening day?

Yeah, you should definitely expect the 19 year old kid, who the Cubs can't even SIGN until July 2nd, at Wrigley on Opening Day. You're a great representation of most of the Cubs fans I've come across.

Why in the world would the Cubs go hard after another middle infielder when they are already over stocked with Castro, Baez, Russell, Alacantra, LaStella?

Now if he can pitch I can certainly see that!

Even if it takes another month for him to get cleared, which seems like the absolute max at this point, do you honestly believe he'll just sit there twiddling his thumbs for all of March, April, May, and June, patiently waiting so the Cubs can offer him the same thing that 10+ other teams already have? News flash: You're not that special.

Obviously the Cubs would have to offer more to get him to wait,which I've only said about 10x in this very thread. Read the thread before you mouth off.

Why in the world would the Cubs go hard after another middle infielder when they are already over stocked with Castro, Baez, Russell, Alacantra, LaStella?

Now if he can pitch I can certainly see that!

Why did they take Russell when they already had so many middle infielders? It's because you take the best talent available and then let it sort itself out. Theo prefers position player prospects over pitching prospects and he's shown it the last two years when everyone expected the Cubs to take pitchers but they instead took Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber. The acquisition of Moncada would allow him to move one of Baez/Russell/Castro for a proven pitcher.

Obviously the Cubs would have to offer more to get him to wait,which I've only said about 10x in this very thread. Read the thread before you mouth off.

I've read every post in this thread, thanks. I'd love to know what makes you think New York or Boston or LA wouldn't match or exceed whatever the Cubs promise him. You're acting like he's some home grown kid who's been dreaming of playing at Wrigley his whole life or something...

I've read every post in this thread, thanks. I'd love to know what makes you think New York or Boston or LA wouldn't match or exceed whatever the Cubs promise him. You're acting like he's some home grown kid who's been dreaming of playing at Wrigley his whole life or something...

Why you assume the Cubs wont have the highest bid is beyond me. They are just as likely as any of that trio to make the highest bid. They just outbid both the Dodgers and Red Sox for Lester. I'm not assuming he's a fan of anything more than the most money. It's this simple, if the Cubs make the highest offer Moncada will have no problem waiting a couple months to sign the contract.

Did the Dodgers make a legit bid at Lester? Even if they did, since when does one team outbidding another for one player, whom they now have to pay, automatically translate to them outbidding everyone else again for the next available high profile free agent?

MLBTradeRumors.com:

•The Dodgers are committed to rebuilding their minor league system and thus are wary about exceeding their international bonus pool to sign Yoan Moncada, MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick writes. While L.A. is very interested in Moncada, any team that wants to sign the Cuban phenom would have to greatly exceed their bonus pool to do so, and thus be limited to international signings of $300K or less for the next two international signing periods, or until July 2017. Of course, several teams have employed the strategy of exceeding the pool limit to load up on premium international talent during one signing period — the Red Sox, Angels, Rays, Yankees and Diamondbacks already face that $300K limit during the 2015-17 international signing market.