Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Yoan Moncada - IF CWS

Regardless of whomever makes the highest bid here the question is who is willing to pay the overage (tax penalty for going over their allotted draft budget) by June 15th? So, lets say the winning bid is 40 million, what team is willing to spend that 40 million upfront and therefore 80 million on a player before he has even swung a bat in MLB? Half of that is due by my previous referenced 6/15 date.

That will leave all but the biggest spenders in MLB to bid on him. Realistically, I do not expect the Cubs to be in on this as I expect Theo to be content in his robbery of international players thus far. The Phillies, expect to be one of the worse teams this year and I could see my team making a pitch. On top of receiving a high draft pick in the amateur draft this year, they will have a top pick next year as well (top 1-3). Why not go all in? We need high end, near MLB ready prospects and the front office wants a faster than normal rebuild.

Maybe I am underestimating the Cubs and I would not doubt that they would not be in on him, but I feel like Lasorda in Arizona has some insider info when it comes to the future of rules regarding the international draft (future CBA negotiations) which is why they bid the 8.27 milion on Yoan Lopez. I would prefer my team go overboard on a position prospect rather a pitcher though.

Edit:

Would not surprise me if the Astos weren't in on this.

Did the Dodgers make a legit bid at Lester? Even if they did, since when does one team outbidding another for one player, whom they now have to pay, automatically translate to them outbidding everyone else again for the next available high profile free agent?

I never claimed that it did. Read my post and don't insert things that I never said. The poster I was addressing said BOS/NYY/LAD would match or beat any offer the CHC made and I said that wasn't true and gave an example.

Did the Dodgers make a legit bid at Lester? Even if they did, since when does one team outbidding another for one player, whom they now have to pay, automatically translate to them outbidding everyone else again for the next available high profile free agent?

I never claimed that it did. Read my post and don't insert things that I never said. The poster I was addressing said BOS/NYY/LAD would match or beat any offer the CHC made and I said that wasn't true and gave an example.

Why do you keep saying that's not true when its been widely reported for weeks now that Boston, New York, and LA are the favorites??

Why do you keep saying that's not true when its been widely reported for weeks now that Boston, New York, and LA are the favorites??

Because those aren't the only teams reported, those are just the teams that you choice to write for whatever reason.

Because those aren't the only teams reported, those are just the teams that you choice to write for whatever reason.

Oh really?

"The Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers are believed to be the heavy favorites to land Moncada, a 19 year old considered to be one of the most talented Cubans to come off the island in years."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ofac-clarifies-stance-mlb-is-only-hurdle-for-cubans/

Oh really?

"The Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers are believed to be the heavy favorites to land Moncada, a 19 year old considered to be one of the most talented Cubans to come off the island in years."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ofac-clarifies-stance-mlb-is-only-hurdle-for-cubans/

OH REALLY!

"The New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago Cubs remain the favorites for Moncada, major league sources said"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--star-cuban-prospect-yoan-moncada-s-free-agency-imminent-230856047.html

Oh really?

OH REALLY!

"The New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago Cubs remain the favorites for Moncada, major league sources said"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--star-cuban-prospect-yoan-moncada-s-free-agency-imminent-230856047.html

Right because his agent said he was open to waiting until the deadline..

However if he's cleared now. That is way too long for one of those teams to shower him with Money..

What are our likely scenarios in terms of timeline? Huge for prospect drafters if he's in the player pool, huge for champs from last year with first waiver priority and those holding on to FAAB in dynasty/keeper formats if he's added post draft.

Is he a player pool addition in March or later?

Does ESPN and yahoo treat that differently?

Yahoo used to be 40-man roster, but not sure if that applies anymore.

Unfortunately for Espn leagues they won't add him at the beginning of the year unless there is a chance he could be in the majors that season. Otherwise they won't add after that until the player actually plays a game in thr majors. I remember Jorge Soler wasn't available until the year after he signed. Somebody like Clint Frazier was still not in the database because there was no chance of him playing in the majors this last year. I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling if you want Moncada your going to need the first pick in next years draft.

Unfortunately for Espn leagues they won't add him at the beginning of the year unless there is a chance he could be in the majors that season. Otherwise they won't add after that until the player actually plays a game in thr majors. I remember Jorge Soler wasn't available until the year after he signed. Somebody like Clint Frazier was still not in the database because there was no chance of him playing in the majors this last year. I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling if you want Moncada your going to need the first pick in next years draft.

Unless the rare chance he gets called up, which someone at BA thinks there is chance. They do add Mìnor Leaguers at the yearly rollover but and sometimes during mid-season but if he's not there to start, a call up is the only way for this year.

The question then becomes, Is it wise to hold top waiver priority all year for the rare chance he does get called up (for those waiver type leagues)?

Unless the rare chance he gets called up, which someone at BA thinks there is chance. They do add Mìnor Leaguers at the yearly rollover but and sometimes during mid-season but if he's not there to start, a call up is the only way for this year.

The question then becomes, Is it wise to hold top waiver priority all year for the rare chance he does get called up (for those waiver type leagues)?

In a keeper league? Yes. Especially Dynasty.

Soler was signed in like June. ESPN is down right now, I think theres a chance Mocada will be in the system when it starts back up or before the season. If he gets signed sooner, it's more likely.

Oh really?

OH REALLY!

I trust Kiley McDaniel wayyyyyyyy more than Jeff Passan when it comes to baseball, especially prospects.

Soler was signed in like June. ESPN is down right now, I think theres a chance Mocada will be in the system when it starts back up or before the season. If he gets signed sooner, it's more likely.

I think you're right. ESPN is maddeningly inconsistent when it comes to adding prospects. They seem to populate their minor league player pool every preseason based on two lists: guys that are very likely to be called up this year (or so they think), and guys who probably won't be called up but who have big name recognition (based on what? who knows). Like others have said, everyone else gets added as they are called up.

Case in point: I added Carlos Correa to my team in 2013, but I had to wait for Mookie Betts to actually get called up before he was added to the player pool last year. Correa was the #1 pick in 2013 so he must have been added solely for that reason, while Betts was a virtual nobody before last June.

I think Moncada will be placed in the "name recognition" list and for that reason will be in the player pool at the start of the season.

Cant wait for the cubs to get this guy. its only a matter of time. Will he need time in the minors or should we expect at wrigley opening day?

Why in the world would the Cubs go hard after another middle infielder when they are already over stocked with Castro, Baez, Russell, Alacantra, LaStella?

Now if he can pitch I can certainly see that!

Why did they take Russell when they already had so many middle infielders? It's because you take the best talent available and then let it sort itself out. Theo prefers position player prospects over pitching prospects and he's shown it the last two years when everyone expected the Cubs to take pitchers but they instead took Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber. The acquisition of Moncada would allow him to move one of Baez/Russell/Castro for a proven pitcher.

Russell and Schwarber didn't cost 80 mil (Then I heard he gets arbitation too, so 120 mil?). If they are alllocating those resources ($) to their roster, it's going to a pitcher in 2016. They have so many young hitters that cost zero dollars, they need pitching. Don't see them as players at all.

I think the Yanks and Phils make most sense (as big markets with need). Would bet on Yanks, as I think the Phils plan to make their Yankees like splash next year in the IFA market.

I think you're right. ESPN is maddeningly inconsistent when it comes to adding prospects. They seem to populate their minor league player pool every preseason based on two lists: guys that are very likely to be called up this year (or so they think), and guys who probably won't be called up but who have big name recognition (based on what? who knows). Like others have said, everyone else gets added as they are called up.

Case in point: I added Carlos Correa to my team in 2013, but I had to wait for Mookie Betts to actually get called up before he was added to the player pool last year. Correa was the #1 pick in 2013 so he must have been added solely for that reason, while Betts was a virtual nobody before last June.

I think Moncada will be placed in the "name recognition" list and for that reason will be in the player pool at the start of the season.

I run a dynasty league with FAAB on Espn. Because of the inconsistencies we made the following rule. In the draft everyone is up for grabs thats in the system. After the draft, you can't pick up anyone who's never played in the majors until their first game. This helps us from keeping track who was in the system and who wasn't and gives everyone a fair shot at the player. Someone like Urias wasnt in the system last year. If he popped up and someone got them for 0 FAAB just because they happened to check one morning and saw he was in, that would suck for everyone else (Im probably one of the two people who woulda got him). At least when they get called up and play one game, everyone is at least on notice to now look for them. Ideally, ESPN would just put everyone in... but I guess that's too much work.

If that is northsidebaseball.com, I clicked through about 3 pages, of about 5 entries each, which already jumped me back to last summer. Then it threw me a popup that locked my computer up forcing me to perform a hard reboot. Great site... :rolleyes:

@JeffPassan 30 seconds ago

Breaking: Yoan Moncada is a free agent after MLB changes its rules regarding Cuban players. Story with details soon on Yahoo Sports

Breaking: Yoan Moncada is a free agent after MLB changes its rules regarding Cuban players. Story with details soon on Yahoo Sports

are they normal free agents or the new wonky system?

are they normal free agents or the new wonky system?

Moncada and Ibanez are subject to the bonus pools, Olivera is a normal free agent.

Realistically when can we expect him to sign? Are we talking a few weeks or months?