Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccsae

Petition: Stop Rotoworld blurb on Yahoo fantasy site

I'm sure you Yahoo fantasy players know by now that Rotoworld has been linked to Yahoo fantasy since a few years ago. They started linking all their player blurbs with the player news on the Yahoo site. It's getting really annoying now. Any newbie fantasy player can just click on the box next to their player and see the blurb telling them how their player is a buy low target. How does anyone buy low or sell high in this situation? I don't want someone else's opinion to get in the way of my trades as I make a living off playing "stocks" with my players. Being able to identify my own buy lows is more satisfying, and that advantage shouldn't be taken away because there are more and more newer fantasy players each year.

I'd like to keep using Yahoo! and hope this doesn't force me to change platforms. Vote in that link so we can get those blurbs out of Yahoo website. Let me know if there was already a existing petition for this.

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/206157-fantasy-basketball/suggestions/6737707-stop-putting-rotoworld-advice-on-your-player-news

Sounds like you're just whining because you can't take advantage of new players.

Well we should get rewarded for knowing more and trying harder no? Its not just the newer players, but for everyone. I play with the same people I played with for 10 years, so I'm not even talking about taking advantage. I guess I was the only one who had a problem with this.

So try harder. A Rotoworld blurb is from from a be all end all of fantasy advise.

Well we should get rewarded for knowing more and trying harder no? Its not just the newer players, but for everyone. I play with the same people I played with for 10 years, so I'm not even talking about taking advantage. I guess I was the only one who had a problem with this.

Reading blurbs is not 'trying harder'. Not anymore at least. There are tools now (have been) that elevate your fantasy game i.e. purchasing a BBM subscription, spending your night looking at box scores, making your own spreadsheet, calculating standard deviations and applying your own values to players. That's 'trying harder'.

Good luck with your petition. You're basically asking Rotoworld to sacrifice website visits and advertisement ($) for your own interest.

Not saying reading blurbs is trying harder man.. I don't even read Rotoworld for anything other than injury / news. Just think that its useless to put such advice when everyones gonna see it. I'm not saying take down their whole connection with Yahoo.. they can put their buy low stuff in a article instead of the blurbs.

Do you know how advertising and the internet/web in general works in this web 2.0 world of ours? I don't exactly want to delve into my job-related terms here or anywhere really, but I think it's safe to say that almost anyone would understand more exposure to a site = more traffic, and more traffic = higher Alexa/Google analytic results. The fact that you are wishing ill upon the site (less exposure) for your own personal gains (more information privy to only yourself and non-readers of the site) is extremely selfish in my honest opinion. Rotoworld has a relationship with Yahoo yes; they do this because Yahoo Fantasy related sports happen to be one of the more popular fantasy sports related formats out there, and with their partnership, rotoworld benefits from exactly what I have previously mentioned.

edit: Went for a water break as I typed this so I apologize if I have mentioned things previous users above me about aptly pointed out before I entered my post, since I did not scroll up to see what the previous messages posted beyond the initial messages were.

I agree, its more $$ and I don't have a right to say anything about that.. I guess I put it in a wrong way. But you can choose what content to show right? For football it seemed like most people thought the same way as me when the issue was brought up.

I understand your sentiments but you gotta adapt to changes. It's not 2007 anymore. Fantasy Sports gets more popular every year. You have to look at other resources now to get that 'edge' that puts you ahead of your competitors. Twitter is quicker on updates now than the blurbs. Basically, you gotta step your game up instead of complaining about things you can't control.

Yea I've been using twitter , BBM , other sites as well. I don't really feel like I need more edge because I know and follow real life NBA situation more than my league mates. I just happen to randomly see a blurb today with Kenneth Faried being a "buy low". I don't have Faried, nor do I plan to buy him, but I have a problem because they are giving advice yet warning the owner of the buy low target of it. I clearly see no one here has a problem with that. I wasn't trying to bring this up for selfish reasons. I do good every year, and at the moment I am 1st place. I wasn't crying or whining. It was just something I always had in mind but decided to try to see what other people think as well. :lol:

I for one would like to thank Yahoo for linking as that is how I found this site a few years ago. Sure, I would like to keep the "keys to the kingdom" to myself, but allow savvy players the same opportunity I was afforded.

I just look at the blurbs as opportunities. Some managers act as if Rotoworld says something, it must be true. For example, when they gave bad advice and said that Brandon Jennings was barely ownable, that's an opportunity to pounce and make trades with those kinds of owners.

Maybe there's a way you can block them checking any url that's fantasy related. Only problem with that is if they got mates that also play fantasy they can ask them for advice.

Not sure of the legalities.

Alright forget the whole thing being about me taking advantage of others, I don't care about hogging all the resources. I can still do fine without any changes. This isn't about me anymore. They can link their blurbs all they want. But why not have an article for buy lows instead. I just thought for example.. if 10 new friends started a league.. how would they buy low against each other. Its such a huge part of the game. Please don't take this as me wanting Rotoworld to back out of Yahoo because of my own greed.

I understand what you guys have said, and was well aware of the whole profit with more exposure thing. Anyways just close this thread :lol: I don't think anyone agrees with me or sees where I'm coming from.

Totally a whiny rant from someone who feels more entitled and likes to get over on people. The single thing I hate the most about anything fantasy, the do anything mentality to win a cyber trophy that mention of would look stupid on your CV.

maybe you are the newbie...you can actually take advantage of it...for example noel, they keep on telling he is a buy low and has a lot of upside....you can take advantage this to sell noel who is useless this year

it's annoying when they give bad advice and lower my player's value at the same time..I petition to get rid of these "experts" and replace them with mindless drones

OP has a point, I dont like how roto says it's buy low time or sell high. morons

THIS TIMES ONE MILLION. Rotoworld CONTROLS player value perception, much like the media controls sociopolitical perception. Ugh. It's okay if they post literal observations like hot streaks, slumps, and injury updates, and I like the blurbs in that sense. But I ABSOLUTELY HATE when they try to give speculative advice beyond observation, which alters the players value towards their "expert analysis".