Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baltimore_boy

Yasmany Tomas - OF ARI

Mods, my apologies if this thread isn't supposed to be started yet due to him not playing in any MLB games yet. Wasn't sure if his 2015 Season Outlook Thread could be started yet or not. Apologies for any inconvenience.

MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports that the Diamondbacks have signed Cuban defector Yasmany Tomas to a six-year contract worth $68.5 million.

The 23-year-old corner outfielder was initially said to be seeking a contract worth more than the record six-year, $72.5 million pact that Rusney Castillo got from the Red Sox in August, but there have been questions about Tomas' defensive capabilities so he wasn't able to find that kind of offer. His contract with Arizona comes with an opt-out after four years. The Diamondbacks, under new chief baseball officer Tony La Russa, beat out the Braves, Padres, Giants, and Phillies to land their new right fielder. If the power hype is real, he's going to mash at Chase Field. There isn't a much better fit from a fantasy perspective.

Signs with the D-Backs. Great home stadium where he can really show us his power.

I've heard questions about holes in his swing and concerns about strikeouts. He's going to have to make that transition to facing the best pitching in the world night in and night out.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/power-hitting-yasmani-tomas-leaves-cuba/

The WBC provided a breakout platform for Tomas to showcase his skills in front of scouts, and he seized the opportunity, ranking as the No. 6 prospect at the tournament. While veteran national teamer Alexei Bell started the tournament in right field, by the end of the event Tomas was getting more playing time, going 6-for-16 (.412) with two home runs, one double, one walk and four strikeouts. During the 2012-13 Serie Nacional regular season that year, Tomas hit .289/.364/.538 with 15 home runs, 34 walks (10 intentional) and 52 strikeouts in 324 plate appearances over 81 games, ranking fifth in the league in slugging and sixth in home runs. That came one year after his breakthrough 2011-12 campaign when he batted .301/.340/.580 with 16 homers in 240 plate appearances over 69 games.

Tomas did show some swing-and-miss tendencies at the WBC with an uppercut stroke and trouble handling good breaking pitches. Three months after the WBC, when Cuba took a team to the U.S. last summer to face the college national team, the U.S. power arms were able to exploit some of those holes by beating him with good velocity up and in and getting him to swing through soft stuff in and out of the zone.

This past season in Cuba, which ended with Industriales losing in the semifinals in April, Tomas seemed to regress, even losing playing time in the second half, which one source said was the result of an arm injury he sustained crashing into an outfield wall in February. He finished the season at .290/.346/.450 with six home runs, 21 walks and 46 strikeouts in 257 plate appearances.

I personally think Tomas is the riskiest Cuban player coming out yet. But yet again, they all seem to carry some risk considering the quality of Cuban pitching vs MLB pitching. What do you guys think of him this year?

Wow, Tomas' agent isn't afraid of hyperbole:

“He's special,” Alou said. ‘He's going to be Rookie of the Year and make the All-Star team. Yasmany Tomas has to be the most powerful guy I've ever seen. He absolutely devastates the ball to the opposite field.”

According to Alou, Tomas has been hitting home runs onto adjacent fields in recent workouts, saying he hits them out even when he misses them and estimating that he's sending them 450 feet to the opposite field

“He's like a big oak tree with roots in the batters box,” Alou said of Tomas. “He can't be moved.”

Yeah he was really selling him. I highly doubt he has more power than Jose Abreu.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11937668/mlb-yasmany-tomas-next-line-cuban-stars-mlb

Scout No. 1:

"He's a strong human being. If he was a kid in the States, he would be a fullback in the NFL. He's a thick lower-half guy, but that's where his strength comes from. Nowadays, without the false vitamins, those are the guys who are going to hit for power. He can go [to] all fields and hit the ball out of any ballpark.

"I think he's probably an average defender. I've seen him play right and a little center, and I think he could play right. His arm is playable there. He's not a burner, but he's definitely not a base-clogger. He's not a guy I would want to see coming at me trying to break up a double play.

"In Cuba and international competition, you see a lot of pitchers with off-speed stuff. You don't really see a lot of velocity, so that's something he'll have to deal with. But he has good balance at the plate. He keeps his hands back and loads them on time; and when he commits, the barrel goes to the ball with a lot of strength. I can see him being a .270-280 hitter with 25 to 30 bombs."

Scout No. 2:

"It's huge power. He's a big, strong body guy, and he can shrink a field pretty easily. When he hits the ball, it stays hit. But he's a different kind of guy than Abreu. He's not going to bring that same advanced idea of how to hit. You're banking on power right now. People are hoping this guy will hit a bunch of home runs, and obviously, that's a niche in the big leagues that has kind of gone away over the last couple of years.

"When I saw him recently, his body looked better than it did 12 to 18 months ago. He's gotten himself in good shape. But it's a thick body, and you kind of wonder, 'Is he going to be like a Marlon Byrd and be able to sustain that body type over an extended period and not suffer?' That's an X factor you need to decipher as a team. Is he going to have the makeup and the drive to keep that body in shape with all the millions he'll get? He's not like Soler or Puig, where he looks like a Greek god out there. He's tricky."

Scout No. 3:

"He's not going to be Jose Abreu in his first year. Abreu was 27 years old. This guy will play at 24. Being that he's young and doesn't know the league, I think he'll hit .240 with 15 to 20 homers this year. Teams will get him on some breaking balls until he starts recognizing stuff. But I think he has a chance as he progresses to be a .260, 25-[home run] guy.

"For me, he's a 40-45 defender [on the 20-80 scale] with an average arm. Believe it or not, he actually runs a 6.9 to 7-flat 60-[yard dash]. He doesn't run bad, and at the end of the day, if he hits 25 home runs, his running speed will look that much better. You know how that works. Tools don't matter as long as they can hit.

"This guy is a good dude. But when he gets in the box, he's arrogant -- in a good way. When you put a bat in his hands, he knows he's the man."

Pretty interesting read on Tomas.

Nothing exciting there, but also nothing to brush off. Getting quality above average players to fill out your roster wins fantasy leagues. But this also shows you'll be taking quite a risk reaching on him in drafts. Given the huge success of recent Cuban hitters, I'm likely to take that risk

Reading that he will try out for 3B in the spring.. ++++++ to fantasy value

and ------- to Jake Lamb if this is true

Ben Badler @BenBadler ·

A few years ago, Yasmany Tomas played a little bit of 3B in Cuba. Was not good there. Fine in the OF. Hard to see him playing third in MLB.

Would be awesome if he could cut it at 3B though. But probably better suited for the OF. We'll see how this turns out though.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/107181706/yasmany-tomas-impressing-arizona-diamondbacks-in-third-base-workouts

Yasmany Tomas has only been working out for a few days at the D-backs' Spring Training facility, but already the team likes what it has seen from him at third base.

Tomas, who was signed by the D-backs to a six-year, $68.5 million deal last month, was primarily an outfielder while in Cuba, but also played some third base. He has been working at third the last few days under the tutelage of former Major League infielder Andy Green, Minor League coach Tony Perezchica, manager Chip Hale and assistant hitting coach Mark Grace.

"He's a very, very smart young man," D-backs GM Dave Stewart said. "He's really taking in the information that's being given to him and applying it immediately. We do think he's going to be able to play the position. We don't expect it will be an easy transition for him. But what we are seeing at this moment is promising."

"I feel comfortable," Tomas said. "I played a lot of third base in Cuba."

If Tomas is indeed able to play third base, that would help the D-backs find room in their lineup for some combination of David Peralta and Ender Inciarte in left field. If Tomas has to be shifted to left field, that would create a crowded outfield that also includes Mark Trumbo in right and A.J. Pollock in center.

If he could get 3B eligibility, that would be awesome. From what I've read, he's athletic for his size. Really hoping he can cut it at 3B.

Some perspective.

dG4B8iQ.png

Worth noting but having the ages of their best season would give a fairer comparison. Tomas is younger than both Cespedes and Abreu when they came over so he should have more development in front of him.

Some perspective.

dG4B8iQ.png

Worth noting but having the ages of their best season would give a fairer comparison. Tomas is younger than both Cespedes and Abreu when they came over so he should have more development in front of him.

Also worth nothing Jose Abreu is Cuban Babe, and this is why.

Some perspective.

dG4B8iQ.png

I cant find that season existing for Tomas:

http://cuban-play.com/estadisticas/labor-de-por-vida-en-series-nacionales/yasmani-tomas-bacallao

Worth noting, Rusney had a better OPS than Tomas as well, granted he was older. Castillo went .342/.408/.574 in the 2011-12 season.

Numbers seem very close to his 51 SN season. Maybe some extra games were aded, perhaps from playoffs or preseason? I dunno.

EDIT: Stats were taken from here.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=tomas-001yas

I think the issue for fantasy owners is are you willing to put up with a .250 ave for 25 HR's. Hes going to get a rude awakening when he see's the best in the world SP every day.

That's just nuts!!... With that said, even Pedro Cerrano was killing it like that in BP... I don't think anyone doubts Tomas' tools, it seems to be the ability to use them in the game successfully.

I like Tomas to contribute this year, but not nearly as much as a guy like Rusney Castillo.

That's just nuts!!... With that said, even Pedro Cerrano was killing it like that in BP... I don't think anyone doubts Tomas' tools, it seems to be the ability to use them in the game successfully.

I like Tomas to contribute this year, but not nearly as much as a guy like Rusney Castillo.

It's a tough call for me, Catillo is the favorite to do better. He was picked 3 rounds earlier in LABR last night. I could still see it going either way, PT issues still concern me for Rusney.

Tomas has a really good spot in the lineup in a good ballpark

looking good at 3B.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/10/so-far-so-good-with-yasmany-tomas-playing-third-base

When the Diamondbacks signed Yasmany Tomas for $68.5 million the assumption was that they’d use him in the outfield, where he spent most of his time in Cuba, but the team announced that he’d get a long look at third base.

So how’s it going so far? Here’s an update on Tomas as a third baseman, via rookie manager Chip Hale:

He’s working every day. … I mean, talk about a guy that really wants to learn, he’s been fantastic. … I mean, this is before spring training, but I’m very encouraged with what I see with his feet and his hands. We can push him a little harder each day on stuff. We’re just going to see how it goes. His capability to take in information and put it into play right away is impressive. He’s got the basics down.

Tomas was signed mostly for his power bat, but if he can eventually play a passable third base that would give the Diamondbacks a lot of other lineup options. For now Arizona’s outfield depth chart includes A.J. Pollock flanked by some combination of Mark Trumbo, David Peralta, and Cody Ross.

if he's going to play 3B that doesn't look good for Jake Lamb.

what level will he be starting at this season? AA?

surprised to see him a little low on top 100 prospect lists this year, usually around 40-50.

what level will he be starting at this season? AA?

surprised to see him a little low on top 100 prospect lists this year, usually around 40-50.

MLB.

He's lower on prospect lists because people question his ability to hit for average, control the zone, etc. Lots of good stuff on it in the previous pages of this thread.