Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baltimore_boy

Yasmany Tomas - OF ARI

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 17, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, March 17, 2015 - No reason given

How about this thing gets moved to the MLB forum?

Anyone seen any of his spring at bats? I've watched a few and the game seems a bit fast for him. I'm not impressed with his bat speed at all.

is anyone contemplating dropping him at this point? I hate to over react but there's no positive news at all. Bad spring and talk about possibly starting in the minors.

If he gets sent down I probably am. Don't have the roster space and he will probably need a good amount of time to get acclimated to the outfield because he sure as hell isn't a third baseman.

So is this guy going to start in the majors or what? Was really banking on him at the U spot.

So is this guy going to start in the majors or what? Was really banking on him at the U spot.

Almost no shot he starts in the majors. He did trend in a more upward direction the last few ST games but from what I've seen and read he's probably the worst 3B defender I've seen in recent memory. He needs to get some meaningful time in the OF.

Anyone have an idea when the Diamondbacks finalize their roster? Do they wait until the very last minute?

Most teams will wait until late today or noon tomorrow.

Looks like the Dbacks made a few cuts today and he's not one of them yet.

They paying over 50mil $ for him to play in minor leagues? lol what a joke.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, April 5, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, April 5, 2015 - No reason given

I had to drop him. Couldn't carry him and Rusney on my bench and I like Rusney more. Hopefully it doesn't bite me later, but I don't think it will.

They paying over 50mil $ for him to play in minor leagues? lol what a joke.

Guerrero and Rusney, Tomas is probably the most deserving out of the 3 that have been sent down

Not a complete shock. I think he is going to work on his defense a bit and he will be up by the end of April.

My question is why does Yahoo not give him NA yet? I mean everyone else that been sent down/optioned have NA by now but Tomas still doesnt have NA on the name on yahoo database... sad.

So whats really the incentive for having him in minors over mlb? I mean not like they can save any money or service time here... They already paying him a lot... Is it to get him to play one of the positions he is not familiar with? I am puzzled...

So whats really the incentive for having him in minors over mlb? I mean not like they can save any money or service time here... They already paying him a lot... Is it to get him to play one of the positions he is not familiar with? I am puzzled...

It's so he can learn to play defense better and go through his defensive growing pains there instead of at the big-league level where it impacts the D-Backs' win-loss record. He's not just average from what I understand, he's downright horrible.

They should have figured this out before they signed him but they probably thought it wouldn't be as big of an issue as it became in Spring Training. Actually from what I heard, he needs a little more polish and coaching as a hitter too. Sometimes the major league teams' miscalculate how these kinds of players will adjust so it's in everyone's best interest to send him to the minors to work on things before he's ready for action at the next level.

Actually, the incentive to have him in the minors is that they would indeed gain an extra year of service time. He's signed for 6 years - but players have to have 6+ years of MLB service time to become FA's. So by keeping him down even just 2-3 weeks, they get the chance to go through arbitration the year after his contract is up, and still retain his rights for 2021 (now as arbitration can't result in a pay cut, he'd have to be a solid player 6 years from now to be retained at a salary greater than 17M in 2021, but point being, ARI keeps him down, they get that choice for 2021). So yeah, still a business reason to keep him down.

Frankly, the way he's swung and missed, and his work at 3B, there is zero reason to keep him in the MLB if they are serious about him learning 3B. And, getting some time against AA/AAA competition is not a bad thing - because MLB-caliber breaking stuff has him baffled and confused. I don't even think the business side matters - he's just not ready yet, plain and simple.

MLB-light tower power for sure, but zero approach right now. Guys like that get eaten for breakfast once the book is out, and it's out right now. Honestly, it sucks for redraft owners, but the reality is that unless someone gets hurt at 3B/corner OF AND Tomas shows a better approach against off-speed, more MILB development time is needed.

P.S. Here are his contract details, which actually justifies the baseball decision (since they aren't really investing hugely now, but for the future). Being in the MILB is both justifiable by baseball reasons alone and for business reasons.

2015 - 2M

2016 - 4M

2017 - 6M

2018 - 10M

2019 - 15.5M player option

2020 - 17M player option

I stand corrected re. service time, RotoRaysFan has always broken that stuff down quite well.

How big a threat is Lamb to keep Tomas down? If he hits, does Tomas stay in AAA awhile longer?

How big a threat is Lamb to keep Tomas down? If he hits, does Tomas stay in AAA awhile longer?

Don't see Tomas coming up to play third anytime soon. Lamb has had a small but impressive sample size. Bigger part is Tomas doesn't play the position well.

Besides Tomas being a butcher at 3B while Lamb is above average, there's also this:

Diamondbacks manager Chip Hale said Wednesday that Yasmany Tomas "needs to get in better shape."

It's been a rocky marriage so far between the Diamondbacks and Tomas, who's currently working on his defense at Triple-A Reno. Tomas was signed to a six-year, $68.5 million contract last November, but he showed up to camp with a huskier build than the D'Backs would have liked and failed to show defensive promise at third base. "I think fitness-wise, he needs to get in better shape," Hale said. "He knows that. He worked really hard all spring. It's not just working hard, it's how you eat and learning a new country and all these things. I mean, it hasn't been easy for him."

Lamb is generally considered above-average defensively, and he's a career .320/.400/.550 hitter in the minors. Granted, that includes some time in very good hitters' parks. But really, there's no reason why Lamb can't hit .270 with 15 HR, and potentially much better. Combine that with solid defense and you have an average 3B at a minimum with higher upside.

I truly don't understand why the D'Backs are even trying Tomas at 3B. They could play him at 3B or in LF. The choice, really, is whether they want to play Lamb at 3B and Tomas at LF, or Tomas at 3B and David Peralta at LF. The former would be way better defensively, and probably at least as good offensively.

Maybe the team is also waiting to see which player -- Lamb or Peralta -- falters first and needs to be replaced?