Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rotojoe

best team names in professional sports

You come across some really cool team names in rotoworld blurbs when they talk about players moving down to or up from D league teams. Unfortunately, some of the real NBA team names SUCK- like Lakers and Jazz (both good in the old days when the names made sense). New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets is a stupid name- might as well call themselves the Brooklyn Basketball Players.

To me, a truly great name has to be cool and also match the city in some specific way. Detroit Pistons is an awesome name, for example- one of the best in Pro sports, I think. Pittsburgh Steelers is good. Purdue Boilermakers is another one I like. Here are a couple gems in the D league:

Fort Wayne Mad Ants

Maine Red Claws

Here are some cool ones from Minor League baseball:

Savannah Sand Gnats

Albequerque Isotopes

Batavia Muckdogs

I don't think names have to sound tough if they relate to the city. Like Baltimore Ravens is kinda cool because it comes from the poem The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe, who is from Baltimore.

Any thoughts on great or awful team names?

You come across some really cool team names in rotoworld blurbs when they talk about players moving down to or up from D league teams. Unfortunately, some of the real NBA team names SUCK- like Lakers and Jazz (both good in the old days when the names made sense). New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets is a stupid name- might as well call themselves the Brooklyn Basketball Players.

To me, a truly great name has to be cool and also match the city in some specific way. Detroit Pistons is an awesome name, for example- one of the best in Pro sports, I think. Pittsburgh Steelers is good. Purdue Boilermakers is another one I like. Here are a couple gems in the D league:

Fort Wayne Mad Ants

Maine Red Claws

Savannah Sand Gnats

Albequerque Isotopes

Batavia Muckdogs

I don't think names have to sound tough if they relate to the city. Like Baltimore Ravens is kinda cool because it comes from the poem The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe, who is from Baltimore.

Long Beach State Dirtbags. Not that it's "city related", but just kind of cool I've always thought.

DB_zps7aa1b0ff.jpg

Fort Wayne Mad Ants

Maine Red Claws

Savannah Sand Gnats

Albequerque Isotopes

Batavia Muckdogs

Long Beach State Dirtbags. Not that it's "city related", but just kind of cool I've always thought.

DB_zps7aa1b0ff.jpg

One like for my Alma Mater!

Easily Rhode Island School of Design. Their nickname is the Nads, & their mascot is Scrotie, a giant scrotum. No, I am not joking. Google it.