Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popcorn Light

#1 overall pick in Minor League Draft

As league winner I get first pick in our minor league draft (We have a June draft for 07' drafted players that's in reverse order). 12 team, 5x5 roto, 8 player keeper league, plus we essentially get to keep each minor league player for 4 years from the time we call them up.

Again, I have the first pick in the draft. Who would you recommend me taking? Looking at Sickel's 50-50 list these are the top players available... PLUS... Fukudome and any of the international signings this season. My thoughts are to take Fukudome and run although Soto or Teargarden appeal to me.

HITTERS

10) Jed Lowrie, SS, Boston Red Sox

12) Chase Headley, 3B, San Diego Padres

15) Taylor Teagarden, C, Texas Rangers

18) Lars Anderson, 1B, Boston Red Sox

20) Geovany Soto, C, Chicago Cubs

27) Jason Heyward, OF, Atlanta Braves

28) Jordan Shafer, OF, Atlanta Braves

29) Steve Pearce, 1B-OF, Pittsburgh Pirates

31) Brandon Jones, OF, Atlanta Braves

32) J.R. Towles, C, Houston Astros

PITCHERS

13) James McDonald, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

15) Fautino De Los Santos, RHP, Oakland Athletics

16) Chris Tillman, RHP, Seattle Mariners

22) Aaron Poreda, LHP, Chicago White Sox

25) Tyler Robertson, LHP, Minnesota Twins

26) Brett Anderson, LHP, Oakland Athletics

27) Casey Weathers, RHP, Colorado Rockies

29) Brett Cecil, LHP, Toronto Blue Jays

31) Tommy Hanson, RHP, Atlanta Braves

32) Kevin Mulvey, RHP, New York Mets

34) Radhames Liz, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

Pending trades this is essentially my roster for 2008, 2009, 2010 (lose Papelbon), 2011 (lose Miller, Drew, Kendricks, Either)... and can use my eight keeper spots on whoever for however long I want...

C Victor Martinez

1B Alex Gordon (3 keeper years)

2B Brian Roberts

SS Derek Jeter

3rd Alex Rodriguez

OF Vlad Guerrero

OF Carl Crawford

OF Delmon Young (3 keeper years)

Util Hunter Pence (3 keeper years)

SP Justin Verlander

SP Scott Kazmir

RP Jon Papelbon (1 keeper year)

RP

P Andrew Miller (2 keeper years)

P

P

Bench Stephen Drew (2 keeper years)

Bench Howie Kendrick (2 keeper years)

Bench Andre Either (2 keeper years)

Essentially control them through at least 2011/2012 depending on when I call them up

1. Homer Bailey (2 keeper years)

2. Clay Bucholz (3 keeper years)

3. Jacob McGee (3 keeper years)

4. Carlos Carrasco (3 keeper years)

5. Nick Adenhart (3 keeper years)

6. Carlos Gonzalez (3 keeper years)

7. Reid Brignac (2 keeper years)

8. Andrew McCutchen (2 keeper years)

9. Fernando Martinez (3 keeper years)

Any thoughts on potential trades (glut of free keeper outfielders), minor leaguers to target, etc would be appreciated. I'm at that point where I'm worried I'll be trading for the sake of trading.

As league winner I get first pick in our minor league draft (We have a June draft for 07' drafted players that's in reverse order). 12 team, 5x5 roto, 8 player keeper league, plus we essentially get to keep each minor league player for 4 years from the time we call them up.

Again, I have the first pick in the draft. Who would you recommend me taking? Looking at Sickel's 50-50 list these are the top players available... PLUS... Fukudome and any of the international signings this season. My thoughts are to take Fukudome and run although Soto or Teargarden appeal to me.

HITTERS

10) Jed Lowrie, SS, Boston Red Sox

12) Chase Headley, 3B, San Diego Padres

15) Taylor Teagarden, C, Texas Rangers

18) Lars Anderson, 1B, Boston Red Sox

20) Geovany Soto, C, Chicago Cubs

27) Jason Heyward, OF, Atlanta Braves

28) Jordan Shafer, OF, Atlanta Braves

29) Steve Pearce, 1B-OF, Pittsburgh Pirates

31) Brandon Jones, OF, Atlanta Braves

32) J.R. Towles, C, Houston Astros

PITCHERS

13) James McDonald, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

15) Fautino De Los Santos, RHP, Oakland Athletics

16) Chris Tillman, RHP, Seattle Mariners

22) Aaron Poreda, LHP, Chicago White Sox

25) Tyler Robertson, LHP, Minnesota Twins

26) Brett Anderson, LHP, Oakland Athletics

27) Casey Weathers, RHP, Colorado Rockies

29) Brett Cecil, LHP, Toronto Blue Jays

31) Tommy Hanson, RHP, Atlanta Braves

32) Kevin Mulvey, RHP, New York Mets

34) Radhames Liz, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

Pending trades this is essentially my roster for 2008, 2009, 2010 (lose Papelbon), 2011 (lose Miller, Drew, Kendricks, Either)... and can use my eight keeper spots on whoever for however long I want...

C Victor Martinez

1B Alex Gordon (3 keeper years)

2B Brian Roberts

SS Derek Jeter

3rd Alex Rodriguez

OF Vlad Guerrero

OF Carl Crawford

OF Delmon Young (3 keeper years)

Util Hunter Pence (3 keeper years)

SP Justin Verlander

SP Scott Kazmir

RP Jon Papelbon (1 keeper year)

RP

P Andrew Miller (2 keeper years)

P

P

Bench Stephen Drew (2 keeper years)

Bench Howie Kendrick (2 keeper years)

Bench Andre Either (2 keeper years)

Essentially control them through at least 2011/2012 depending on when I call them up

1. Homer Bailey (2 keeper years)

2. Clay Bucholz (3 keeper years)

3. Jacob McGee (3 keeper years)

4. Carlos Carrasco (3 keeper years)

5. Nick Adenhart (3 keeper years)

6. Carlos Gonzalez (3 keeper years)

7. Reid Brignac (2 keeper years)

8. Andrew McCutchen (2 keeper years)

9. Fernando Martinez (3 keeper years)

Any thoughts on potential trades (glut of free keeper outfielders), minor leaguers to target, etc would be appreciated. I'm at that point where I'm worried I'll be trading for the sake of trading.

Before we go any further, does this mean that you don't have access to the Rule IV (amateur) draftees from 2007? Because Price, Wieters and Moustakas (not to mention Vitters, Parker, Mills, LaPorta) would *all* go ahead of most of those guys.

And if it means that you can pick up guys ahead of the draft, then you have to consider guys like Justin Smoak and Pedro Alvarez (Alvarez first).

If I draft Fukudome league rules allow me to keep him on my minor league roster for the completion of the season. Thus, I would be forced to call him up in 2009 as he'd reach thresholds predictably and he'd be my property through 2012 season. Would lose him for the 2013 season. At some point I'd like to get a top catching prospect to Victor Martinez, but I feel in this case I may lose value doing that.

Before we go any further, does this mean that you don't have access to the Rule IV (amateur) draftees from 2007? Because Price, Wieters and Moustakas (not to mention Vitters, Parker, Mills, LaPorta) would *all* go ahead of most of those guys.

And if it means that you can pick up guys ahead of the draft, then you have to consider guys like Justin Smoak and Pedro Alvarez (Alvarez first).

I can draft 2007 players, but we had a 2 round minor league draft about 2 weeks after the June draft... thus 20-25 players are currently on rosters already. Thus your top 15 picks, Porcello and then 7 of the next 10 or so late teen to early 20 picks are on rosters already. It was in reverse order at the time of our standings so I picked 12th and 24th... Picked Brackman and used him, Ian Kennedy, and Roy Halladay (who I would have lost) for Bucholz, Kendricks, & McGee... also received the use of Saito for the last 6 weeks of 07 season that got me a few more saves I won by a .5 point.

Not allowed to draft guys that haven't been drafted and signed, so Alvarez, Smoak, and the other 08' candidates are not available. I've already traded my 2nd, 3rd, 4th round minor league picks as I just don't see the value there and my roster will be maxed out at 10 minor leaguers.

Well, then, out of those 3 guys (how did Heyward escape the June draft with 24 spots? Weird...), it's definitely a 3-way race between Schafer, Heyward and Lars Anderson.

I'd lean towards Anderson, if only because he's not likely to get rushed by Boston, and will likely contribute very early on once he's called up (like Ellsbury & Pedroia) - I'd worry Schafer will get rushed, and you'll activate him during his developmental years.